Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Ride reports
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-04-2012, 04:00 PM   #91
bighaasfly
Something to shoot for

Oddometer: 90
Thumb Okay, scootch over. I'm coming too. Subscribed!

I have a simple question and two suggestions.

What camera are you using? Looks like a Nikon point and shoot in the one photo with the rear view mirror but I can't tell the model. STELLAR colors! Are all your shots processed post production or is that right off the camera? Just fantastic photography!

Second, might I suggest an ammendment to your california route. Hwy 20 from just outside Ft Bragg to Willits. Some of the squiggliest bits of tarmac you'll ever see. Then keep going east to Grass Valley and take Hwy 49 to Downieville for lunch. (I rode coast to coast in '92 covering 9000 miles and my favorite stretch was the first 120 miles leading out of Grass Valley.) Keep taking that to Jackson Meadows reservoir (onto dirt there) and take Henness Pass Rd (Forest route 7) east to the Nevada State line. Nice country!!

If you are passing through Minnesota on your way to Toronto, you are welcome to my guest quarters (before sept 5 or after Sept 13) as long as you don't mind cute kids and friendly labs! You can PM me with a weeks notice. If you have to come through during the week of the 5th-13th then you get the couch cause my mother's coming to visit!

Safe travels! Keep the greasy side down!
Old 08-04-2012, 05:48 PM   #92
AugustFalcon
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,046
Quote:
Originally Posted by bighaasfly View Post
...What camera are you using? ... STELLAR colors! Are all your shots processed post production or is that right off the camera? Just fantastic photography!...
I agree: very impressed with the photos and the colors.

According to his EXIF data the camera is a SAMSUNG MV800

04 BMW R1100S
02 KTM 250 Exc Racing

SmugMug referral code: jXF8ohDWlTm56
AugustFalcon is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2012, 11:24 PM   #93
rtwpaul OP
out riding...

Oddometer: 1,925
yea the point and shoot is a samsung MV800, reason for that one was , easy to use, i take a lot of shots when i'm riding with my left hand, also it takes panoramic shots both vertically and horizontally, and has a folding screen for self portraits which is also good for video....got an amazing price on it on eBays daily deals

the other camera i use is a DSLR Canon 550 with a 18-200 lens...i use a graduated filter on most shots which makes a big difference on colors, it makes them a lot richer and truer, if i do anything after the fact its crop and adjust maybe brightness, i only use Picasa, and if need be i hit the 'feeling lucky' button - unless i am looking for a dramatic effect or B&W or sepia of course

edit***

i "picked up" a copy of a photo editing program, so i will be playing with that and adding maybe one fully post production shot in each post

rtwpaul screwed with this post 09-04-2012 at 09:53 PM
rtwpaul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2012, 11:29 PM   #94
rtwpaul OP
out riding...

Quote:
Originally Posted by bighaasfly View Post

might I suggest an ammendment to your california route. Hwy 20 from just outside Ft Bragg to Willits. Some of the squiggliest bits of tarmac you'll ever see.

If you are passing through Minnesota on your way to Toronto, you are welcome to my guest quarters (before sept 5 or after Sept 13) as long as you don't mind cute kids and friendly labs! You can PM me with a weeks notice. If you have to come through during the week of the 5th-13th then you get the couch cause my mother's coming to visit!

Safe travels! Keep the greasy side down!
hwy 20 is good but only 35 miles and a busy road, you should have gone north to #36, if you start at Lassen and go to the coast you have over 300 miles of the same type of road, the last 140 miles from Red Bluff to Eureka are steller and have no traffic, another road with NO traffic is a back road #128, it probably has four times the amount of bends that Hwy 20 does in the same distance...now thats fun

...and i'll be in touch when i'm heading your way

rtwpaul screwed with this post 08-07-2012 at 01:02 AM
Old 08-07-2012, 12:05 AM   #95
Nanuq
Aventurer by Trade

Oddometer: 1,069
2008 KLR 685- Iron Butt Association #44803
Trippin' in the Yukon & the AK!

"I'd rather wake up in the middle of nowhere than in any city on Earth" - Steve McQueen
Nanuq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2012, 01:24 AM   #96
rtwpaul OP
out riding...

volcanos and pines trees

very late start from Reno, by the time i was outside the city limits it was after 12pm, this would have an affect later in the day.

i headed northwest towards one of my favorite rides, route 36 in northern california, firstly thru Lasson NP and the volcano fields, they were doing managed fires so visibility was very limited only got these few good shots

from there it was onto route 36, from Lasson to Red Bluff its OK but from Red Bluff onwards it kind of reminds me in places of the road from Cusco to Nasca in Peru, perfect payment most of the time and never more than an 1/8 of a mile without a bend

the sign by the side of the road when you rejoin the 36 in Red Bluff after one mile on the freeway reads twisty road for the next 140 miles…and it is

because i was late and riding into the sun i decided not to head for the coast but stayed in a campground, and on a saturday night i was the only one there…weird!!!

rtwpaul screwed with this post 08-10-2012 at 10:53 PM
Old 08-07-2012, 06:27 AM   #97
MikeMike
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,149
Nice stitch on that shot 4th from the bottom.
MikeMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2012, 08:06 AM   #98
rtwpaul OP
out riding...

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeMike View Post
Nice stitch on that shot 4th from the bottom.
thats from the samsung, it does it automatically, no stitching required
Old 08-07-2012, 08:18 AM   #99
rtwpaul OP
out riding...

Pines, Ocean, Zebras and big trees…

i'll get to the Zebras in a bit…

i finished riding 36 with the sun on my back all the way to the ocean, only in the last few miles did i hit the fog and the temperature dropped dramatically

the rest of the day was spent with the ocean on my right most of the time or surrounded by big Redwoods

….until rounding a corner i thought i had ridden thru a time warp and i was in an african savanna in the middle of a field was two Zebras!!! yes i'm not losing my mind, and having lived in Kenya years ago i can tell you these were big and healthy

i ended the day in a State Park, i must have had a puzzled look on my face, "are you Ok?" an English accent asks me

i reply, "$40 for a campsite, am i missing something here?"

"nope thats right, you can pitch your tent by us if you want, no problem".

this is how i met Matt, Nicola and there two kids Cosmo and Sky, they were world travelers now settled in California. they understood $40 was most of a days budget for a traveller, so we ended up in the same pitch talking the night away about life on the road around the campfire…and BTW they had the BIGGEST tent i have ever seen, they were now car campers

rtwpaul screwed with this post 08-29-2012 at 09:21 PM
Old 08-07-2012, 08:40 AM   #100
rtwpaul OP
out riding...

...to San Francisco

more coast riding and the occasional diversion to get off the fog to the inland and warm up

...and today i'm back in Argentina!!! seeing a familiar face...gotta lover quirky californians and there choice of animals

when the fog lifted in certain areas of route 101 and route 1 the views as expected are incredible

how about a fixer upper with ocean views...any takers

i arrived into San Francisco just in time as everyone was leaving so didn't have to deal with too much traffic

having been here lots of times before i just headed to the Presidio to take a different "angle" of the Golden Gate Bridge

i ended up the day spending the night with fellow inmate "Hetman" in his apartment downtown and grabbing some food...thanks for your hospitality Dave it was very much appreciated, and he gave me a few pointers to some roads that the locals like....i'm off

rtwpaul screwed with this post 08-29-2012 at 09:35 PM
Old 08-07-2012, 12:04 PM   #101
gremor
RS'er

Oddometer: 939
Boy I'm in on this one!!

But I've matured. Now I'd make sure I was drunk before I tried to fuck a snake"..........Bueller
gremor is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2012, 12:30 PM   #102
GypsyWriter
Sarah

Oddometer: 1,424
In!
Quote:
Originally Posted by FotoTEX View Post
Life is dangerous. Not doing what you love makes life even more dangerous...
GypsyWriter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2012, 01:27 PM   #103
Doppelganger
Alive & Living

Oddometer: 144
What happened to the Honda? Abandoned in Utah? ;-)
Old 08-07-2012, 05:31 PM   #104
8BallMfg
n00b

Oddometer: 7
Ok Paul, I am also along for the ride I check this report every day.
8BallMfg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2012, 06:33 PM   #105
SS in Vzla.
Totally Normal? I'm not!

Oddometer: 1,178
Great Photos, keep them coming