User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-17-2014, 01:28 AM   #1141
kevinsinvegas
Adventurer

Oddometer: 43
great RR!

Glad to hear you made it to SK. . Great report, I couldn't be more green with envy!

fjr1300 - Sold
KTM 530 EXC - Rockn' it!
kevinsinvegas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2014, 07:51 PM   #1142
Dracula
Deus ex machina

Oddometer: 1,001
Paul,

I hope you find the balance between stress of borders crossing and all and getting into the grove and enjoying travel. I admire your endeavor , and haven't really parked my dreams of world travel, on the contrary the more I see it done, the more I think I should do it. In few years maybe.
Cheers and thanks for this wonderful sharing a part of your life.
Dracula is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2014, 09:20 PM   #1143
sasho
Dual Personality

Oddometer: 533
Supposedly there is a Rosbank ATM (or bankomat as the Russians call it) in Zarubino.

There is also a Sberbank office listed, on Morskaya Str No. 3

In Russia I usually use Sberbank, since my card is tested to work with it, and it is a government owned bank.

Keep the Korean food pics coming!! To this day Korean cuisine is my favorite.

What was the sentiment in Korea towards the football match with Russia, and the result of it?
sasho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2014, 07:05 AM   #1144
rtwpaul OP
out riding...

Oddometer: 1,926
Quote:
Originally Posted by sasho View Post

What was the sentiment in Korea towards the football match with Russia, and the result of it?
there is supposed to be a lot of english speaking koreans...i have yet to find them, most only speaking one or two words, or are shy to try and talk...i saw on tv the SK/ Russia highlights and there was a lot of smiling and cheering...but right now i am kind of in the middle of nowhere so not too much interaction to find out what they really feel
rtwpaul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2014, 08:16 AM   #1145
yokesman
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 495
yesterday I sent your call sign to someone looking to go east to west ,they are in the asia forum looking for a ride partner .
yokesman is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2014, 08:38 AM   #1146
rtwpaul OP
out riding...

Quote:
Originally Posted by yokesman View Post
yesterday I sent your call sign to someone looking to go east to west ,they are in the asia forum looking for a ride partner .
he was one of the riders who was supposed to be meeting me, might bump into him on the BAM...maybe

rtwpaul screwed with this post 06-18-2014 at 08:44 AM
Old 06-18-2014, 08:59 AM   #1147
rtwpaul OP
out riding...

i left Seoul in the morning and immediately a motorcycle cop tails me for a while, but then buzzes by me, i guess once he sees my plates close up he doesn't want to try his language skills

it takes more than an hour to clear the city and its traffic as i head southwest

unknowingly i seem to give myself a tour of every power plant on the west coast...i manage to see Hyundai oil plant, steel plant and car plant

more crap thrown into the air to help the smog

eventually i get my first ground level view of the Yellow Sea

i ride down the coast passing lots of places like these, grave sites set up high, this one was nicer than most so i decided to stop and see why...a very important man in his day...1517-1578

i end the day next to the Yellow Sea and find a place to wild camp i park my bike next to a sign that probably reads no motorcycle parking and take an ankle deep dip in the cold water, just because

from a distance the beach looked great but close up it was lined with trash, there are no trash can anywhere, surprisingly the center of Seoul was cleaner than it was here
Old 06-18-2014, 10:18 AM   #1148
rtwpaul OP
out riding...

i wake to the sounds of waves crashing outside my tent as the tide is coming in, i look out and can't see more than about twenty yards because of heavy fog and this would be with me most of the day. I pack up and head to the mountains past endless rice paddy fields which just add to the moisture in the air

never thought i'd see a windmill in SK

Korea is one massive building site right now, they are doing amazing flood control everywhere, this is an example of whats going on here

this flood/ tidal wave wall was miles long

which leads to this statue that over looked a massive development looking like it will take about 10 more years to complete

i'm at the little yellow dot in the middle, this is the statue location

the main crop at the moment seems to be rice and onions, but here's a field of????

looking at the map before i left Seoul i decided to ride counter clockwise around the country and hit lots of national parks and back roads linking one to the next...once you get out of any city area there is literally no traffic at all so stopping to take photos is not a problem

bet not many of you have this 'type' of photo? a temple in the mountains

every other house seems to have dogs chained up outside and they bark like crazy if you come close...all of them

an old bamboo barn

i finish the day camping i the national park, took a wrong turn getting in and ended up in an SK army base (no photos obviously) they weren't happy and seemed a little bothered and moved me backward with machine guns pointed and closed the gates then smiled and talked to me once i took my helmet off...i asked if they knew where i could camp and they directed me to the other side of the mountain

National park camping, on these raised areas and i had to pay peak season pricing...$2...TWO DOLLARS

Old 06-18-2014, 01:31 PM   #1149
JoDawg
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 198
Paul, Glad to see you made it safely to SK. Really enjoying reading your RR again. As always great photography. Ride safe my friend. Will be following with great interest as you start this new adventure.

Cheers!

JoDawg

2009 F800GS
BMWMOA #146900
JoDawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2014, 02:29 PM   #1150
fastredbike
recovering

Oddometer: 535
stunning report Paul. So it seems like there is camping available in the NPs but is it generally available in the rural areas? and with so few signs in English how do you find them?

thanks for taking us along on this amazing trip!
fastredbike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2014, 03:27 PM   #1151
Droptarotter
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,198
$2 for camping............jeez, that's almost 1/2 a day in Nicuragua!

Cheers
Old 06-18-2014, 04:03 PM   #1152
rtwpaul OP
out riding...

Quote:
Originally Posted by fastredbike View Post
stunning report Paul. So it seems like there is camping available in the NPs but is it generally available in the rural areas? and with so few signs in English how do you find them?
here is the national park camping info page even when i camped there the first sign that was showing camping either written or the traditional tent symbol was 100 yards from the campsite, so no not easy to find

you can officially camp next to any body of water for free, sea, lake, river...by the sea is good, but by a lake or river all i find are farm land covered in rice paddy fields as they source the water. I have seen tents around though and also tents in random places so wild camping is not an issue, you just might be on someones land but Koreans are so polite i don't thik they'd complain
Old 06-18-2014, 04:04 PM   #1153
rtwpaul OP
out riding...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Droptarotter View Post
$2 for camping............jeez, that's almost 1/2 a day in Nicuragua!

Cheers

Old 06-18-2014, 04:34 PM   #1154
rtwpaul OP
out riding...

Wolchulsan NP is noted for its peak and suspension bridge and the climb/ hike to get there...i woke up early and set off before the Koreans were awake, or maybe they were donning their full camping gear, crampons, loaded climbing sacks and equipment looking like they were off to Everest...like i said earlier they only go into things 100% and buy the absolute best gear for the job...me: converse allstars, shorts and a t shirt

not sure where or how #4 "i'm a teapot" helps you climb a mountain?

i decided to do the advanced way up, most of the climb according to the info i had read was at 36-38% incline, how bad could it be

thru the bamboo forest

part way up i stopped for breath, it was a climb and wasn't made easy, the potential for lawsuits anywhere else in the world would be huge, rock climbing, tattered ropes to pull on, rotting steel poles to grab onto for help that felt like they could come free at any moment...but it was good, steep and good to get my heart pounding early in the morning...what was i thinking. In certain spots they put up hundreds of stairs

watch out

after about an hour, and only just over 1 KM i spot the prize directly above me

almost at the top there is this...if this happened here i think you were unlucky after climbing so far, or maybe you just saw the view and wanted to stay for good

on the way down i found polka dots are in fashion again

and found the temple hidden in the trees

when i got back to the camp ground the other campers had left and it had turned into a building site

i took my leave and had my last look at the southern part of south korea

the rest of the day was spent riding back roads (three numbers in a yellow box) i found were the smallest and best taking thru little villages all along the route

even finding some dirt that then went off the map for about fifty miles, when i came out the other end i got some strange looks

onion season

you find this here a lot, cuts in the road to give grip on the bends, great for cars really really bad for knobby tires

more to come, going to head up the west coast next...
Old 06-18-2014, 04:36 PM   #1155
SchizzMan
pronounced `skiz-man

Oddometer: 8,100
Very nice Paul!

"As long as there's a horizon and I can see it, then I want to know what's there, mentally, physically and visually" - rtwpaul
SchizzMan is online now   Reply With Quote