User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-30-2014, 12:05 AM   #1201
kevinsinvegas
Adventurer

Oddometer: 43
Eh? I'm Green

Dude! Just caught up. Great photos and report. Wish I was there.

fjr1300 - Sold
KTM 530 EXC - Rockn' it!
kevinsinvegas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2014, 02:34 AM   #1202
rtwpaul OP
out riding...

Oddometer: 1,926
Still no internet to post a full report but just pulled into a gas station and an English lady walked to me !!! Please come speak to my husband he's got a problem with his bmw can you help? Its stuck in sixth gear...my first thought is a broken shifter fork but im not a bmw mechanic so i tore the bike down

So his bike is now looking like this

If you are a 2002 bmw 1150 owner and had this problem let me know

Sent from my SGH-T989 using Tapatalk 2

rtwpaul screwed with this post 07-02-2014 at 04:17 AM
rtwpaul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2014, 02:52 AM   #1203
LethPhaos
brb

Oddometer: 567
did you get them to panic yet, the bike looks disintegrated
LethPhaos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2014, 03:05 AM   #1204
Thomas B.
desert racer

Oddometer: 207
Hi Paul,
You'll have to open the gearbox to be sure, but I would tip on a broken spring in the gearshifting mechanic. But its all just a guess untill you look inside.
There is nothing else to do.
Good luck
Cheers Thomas
Thomas B. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2014, 05:45 AM   #1205
rtwpaul OP
out riding...

Just took it completely apart and the mainshaft bearing has shattered and taken out the other bearings as well...its a catastrophic failure so now the bike needs to go on a truck 2500k's to vladivostok to be shipped home!!!

I did all i could i feel bad i couldn't help and get them riding again

Sent using Tapatalk 2
Old 06-30-2014, 08:04 AM   #1206
prsdrat
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 686
But you tried. Good on ya.
Keep it coming, looking forward to your journeys.
Old 06-30-2014, 10:05 PM   #1207
daveburton
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 179
BMW reliability

You did a hell of a job on that Paul.

After my BMW problems I think you got it right with the KTM, chain drive, carb etc. Anything else is too complicated. The only other simplification would be air cooling. Then you arrive back to a DR.

Are you finding the KTM comfortable and powerful enough.

dave
daveburton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2014, 04:18 AM   #1208
rtwpaul OP
out riding...

Quote:
Originally Posted by LethPhaos View Post
did you get them to panic yet, the bike looks disintegrated
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomas B. View Post
Hi Paul,
You'll have to open the gearbox to be sure, but I would tip on a broken spring in the gear shifting mechanic. But its all just a guess untill you look inside.
There is nothing else to do.
Good luck
Cheers Thomas
finally found some internet, i'll go into this in more detail just let me catch up on the ride report first
Old 07-02-2014, 06:42 AM   #1209
GAS GUY
MILE EATER

Oddometer: 3,178
Quote:
Originally Posted by rtwpaul View Post
Just took it completely apart and the mainshaft bearing has shattered and taken out the other bearings as well...its a catastrophic failure so now the bike needs to go on a truck 2500k's to vladivostok to be shipped home!!!

I did all i could i feel bad i couldn't help and get them riding again

Sent using Tapatalk 2

Thats awsome that you took that kind of the time to help those riders out.
Regardless of the outcome,just them knowing for sure what the problem is now allows them to make definate arrangements without any doubt.
http://gasguysadventures.blogspot.com/
GAS GUY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2014, 06:43 AM   #1210
rtwpaul OP
out riding...

Plan of attack for the day was simple, get an oil change then ride…

I had a contact from Dean www.motorezina.ru tire supplier, he put me in touch with Andrey in Ussurisk who owns japan scooter.

Andrey arrived at my hotel exactly as he said at 10am and led me to his place, he asked what oil I wanted, Motul synthetic was an option so definitely yes, he didn’t stock it so while me and his mechanic were draining the oil, he drove around to find the oil for me

He has about three mechanics working on scooters, road bikes and dirt bikes; they had the tools and equipment to work on most bikes

Andrey is in the check shirt

His friend showed up in a uniform, but not sure which one it was but I got to play dress up!!!

Then Mr. Kim joined in

Getting out of any town that the GPS or paper maps don’t cover so well is always a challenge; Andrey showed us a quick way using back roads on one of his new scooters

leaving his place round 12 we rode for a few hours thru little villages on the main M60 and every 20-40k’s there was major construction

The smell of food was enough to stop riding; pork chops Russian style

Once we had finished I pulled out a map to get a sense of scale, in the last 12 hours riding we had gone maybe one inch on this scale…but pulling a map out attracts a crowd anywhere and we were joined by Sasha, a truck driver who drives from Vladivostok to either Magadan or Irkutsk and back on a weekly basis, he had photos on his phone of the road conditions right now, and showed us on the map where the bad and good spots were, where to camp, where to eat, where to shower and where to get a motel, and all of this was done with no English at all…I have a small phrase book and we had a conversation for over two hours…best game of charades ever

He told us where to stop tonight which we would have ridden by, a very small motel on the edge of Dalneretschensk, with secure parking for the bikes in a locked steel barn…about $13 for a room

Old 07-02-2014, 03:35 PM   #1211
Droptarotter
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,195
Hey Paul;
Looks like you are riding the wheels off of the KTM..........that's a lot of blue on that header pipe!

Cheers

Droptarotter screwed with this post 07-02-2014 at 03:51 PM
Droptarotter is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2014, 03:52 PM   #1212
cunger22
XRetardo

Oddometer: 1
hats off

that hat is incredible!
cunger22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2014, 03:54 PM   #1213
achesley
Old Motorcyclist

Oddometer: 3,425
Whew! Finally caught up with your report. What a ride!!!!!! and What Pictures!!!!!! Enjoying it all. Thanks for taking the time and work to share. Lovin it.

A '00 KLR 650 39,000 miles, A '07 1250S 77,000 actual, A '03 5.3L Chevy Truck 76,000 + '43 style dude , Simper Fi ;-)
achesley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2014, 05:18 PM   #1214
rtwpaul OP
out riding...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Droptarotter View Post
Hey Paul;
Looks like you are riding the wheels off of the KTM..........that's a lot of blue on that header pipe!

Cheers
it was like that when i got it, now just riding as the road permits
Old 07-02-2014, 05:48 PM   #1215
rtwpaul OP
out riding...

A simple twist of fate

Sometimes the simplest plans get changed, not because you want them to but because of people you meet…this will be the next few days riding and maybe now the whole of Russia, just because we stopped in a certain gas station to fill up

Before we left I had to do a minor fix on a leak on my sight window with JB plastic weld and pack up and ride.

Neither of us needed gas but you kind of make the most of almost each gas station just incase…we pull in and there is a white Goldwing sitting there, I instantly see a Washington State license plate, the owner comes over to say hello and talks to me in Russia, I have my helmet on and sunglasses, I take them off and explain…NO SPEAK RUSSIAN…”Welcome to Russia” he shouts out, this is Ser, short for Sergie

He has a good amount of English, maybe 150 words, he asks where we are going and I tell him China. Not really China we just wanted to go to a road that is next to the river and the other side is China…me and Mr. Kim just wanted a photo.

He shouts at me NO!!!

I explain in a different way

He shouts at me NO!!!

A third time

NO!!!

As I try for a forth time with a translator app on my phone and my little Russia phrase book he shows me a phone and makes a call then hands me the phone…the guy on the other end speaks to me in perfect English and explains in this area tensions are high between Russia and China, there is army in place on both sides and the Russian army right now might shoot before asking questions, if the Chinese army see something that the Russian army doesn’t shoot at then they may shoot!!! If there is no shooting then we maybe arrested for being in a off limits area

OK, point taken, no China photo today

I knew about a biker party happening and ask Ser about it, he said, lets go, my friends are Iron Tigers in Khaberosk, come with me to there clubhouse and we will all party together

So now we ride as three. An hour or so later Mr. Kim takes a dive on some road works, nothing major he just misread the road

As we pull into the city we are met by another rider from Dark Road Spirits and he leads all the way thru the city to meet the president of the Iron Tigers at an arranged easy to find place, from there we now ride as an even bigger group to the clubhouse

The dates of the party are for the weekend, its Wednesday so we will stay at the clubhouse tonight in Khabarovsk, tomorrow ride 200k’s to Birobidzsan

this is how its explained, Khabarosk has a silent K

And then the following day ride 550 to the party in Blagoveshchensk

All the club members are called to come and say hello, while we wait for them the heavens open, I am checking things on my bike and hear shouting from out side …”PAUL PHOTO”…Mr. Kim and Ser are taking a ‘Russian shower’.

we take a short walk to the church behind the clubhouse

Once the rain stops we head for the store (magazine in Russian) and buy beer, when we get back everyone is there, so you can guess the rest was a party!!!

This is what most people see about the Russian biker clubs by staying at the clubhouse and then leaving the next day to continue riding their adventure…not us we will get a lot more than most do and a word of advice if what comes next is offered accept it with open arms and change your plans, you never forget it or regret it