Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Ride reports
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-09-2014, 12:46 AM   #1276
Comrade Art
Working stiff

Oddometer: 512
There are numerous people that fall into the "silent majority" category that follow your thread. I am one of those people that reads your thread daily but don't always comment. Just know your trip and story telling are captivating.
Keep posting

"All human beings by nature desire to know" - Aristotle
Comrade Art is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2014, 01:28 AM   #1277
Notnewchevy
Adventurer

Oddometer: 67
I am here lurking. I just totally amazed that I can read and enjoy your adventure in almost real time. I sit at work waiting for the next job to come in and you are living, seeing, feeling the world on terms that would make most people scared to death. Just awesome. Thanks for the trip.
Notnewchevy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2014, 02:47 AM   #1278
pngaudioguy
Just...one...more...

Oddometer: 466
I've been subscribed since the South America trip, watched the bike build-out, and love following your adventure. Like everyone has said the pictures and story-telling make this thread really compelling. Hoping to meet you when you get over to Belgium!
pngaudioguy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2014, 03:13 AM   #1279
rtwpaul OP
out riding...

Oddometer: 1,903
Quote:
Originally Posted by Throttlemeister View Post
Keep up the good work along with all the nsfw you are doing, I'm enjoying both
for you brother anything... i will keep the research going, may even start riding in a white lab coat to make it official
rtwpaul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2014, 03:16 AM   #1280
rtwpaul OP
out riding...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Comrade Art View Post
There are numerous people that fall into the "silent majority" category that follow your thread. I am one of those people that reads your thread daily but don't always comment. Just know your trip and story telling are captivating.
Keep posting
Quote:
Originally Posted by Notnewchevy View Post
I am here lurking. I just totally amazed that I can read and enjoy your adventure in almost real time. I sit at work waiting for the next job to come in and you are living, seeing, feeling the world on terms that would make most people scared to death. Just awesome. Thanks for the trip.
Quote:
Originally Posted by pngaudioguy View Post
I've been subscribed since the South America trip, watched the bike build-out, and love following your adventure. Like everyone has said the pictures and story-telling make this thread really compelling. Hoping to meet you when you get over to Belgium!

thanks guys good to know you are still out there enjoying it...the real time stuff will stop very soon once i hit Mongolia and the stans and head west, chances are no internet for a month or so unless i am lucky somewhere, but i'll try for you

png...drop me a PM with a waypoint for you place, i'll be in Europe for a year or so, so we'll have more than a few chances to meet up and hopefully get you away from the flat lands for a while as well
Old 07-09-2014, 03:24 AM   #1281
LethPhaos
brb

Oddometer: 531
count me in for a meet/ride in or near Belgium :)
LethPhaos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2014, 03:52 AM   #1282
rtwpaul OP
out riding...

the tides have turned, its now time for me to have a broken bike, i had a minor oil leak but it seems to come from different places each day, doesn't make sense but i just couldn't get a firm location on it.

a few days ago i planned to leave (previous post) and found broken nipples from over adventurous riding on these bad roads.

i retrued the wheel on the bike at a angle that the side stand leans the bike at making it more difficult, as i am finishing i have a pool of oil under my bike about 4-5 inches around, wheel done new tires mounted in the hotel workshop i investigate more.

the bike is very dirty so oil has spread everywhere, i plan to clean everything on the motor and fire it up and try and find the leak once and for all.

i spot oil seeping from the cam chain tensioner bolt, not a problem undo it add a little gasket maker and put it back on then fire the bike up...as i'm undoing it, and its not tight, if fucking snaps with no pressure what so ever

so i have now been in Ulan Ude for a few days trying to find someone/ anyone to help, its weird no one could tell me where a garage, hardware store, machine shop was until today i happened to hear the young female receptionist speaking perfect English so as a last resort i asked her for help, she had number for machine shops in her phone and gave me a waypoint on my GPS...i have a mechanic coming in one hour and if he can't help then i have a back up plan...

we headed out to try and find his place this morning and i got to ride bitch for the second time in two weeks, prior to that it was more than 34 years since i have been on the back of a bike...goddam its a weird sensation not being in control

so for the last few days its been a case of drinking various Russian beers, acting the total goof, walking around the neighborhood where the hotel is and the 300 year old house that surround it

...but last night something very strange happened...in a good way

a guy called Sasha came up to me, Mr. Kim and Alex and said he heard i planned on going to Yakustk and ride the road of bones but cancelled due to the weather...Sasha is a biker and agreed this year could be a total bust but he would like to thank me and other riders for coming to his town, he held his had out and asked the three of to draw straws as he had a gift for the winner...i won, he handed me a silver ingot and told me if i ever plan to head that way again to call him and stay at his house for as long as i want, use his tools and workshop...eastern Russian are the best people you will ever meet, he didn't have the best things to say about Russians from the west, i still have to find out myself

mr kim is still with me, he is happy now we found him korean noodles

but if i stay longer i have already found the supplier for my winter footwear

Old 07-09-2014, 07:26 AM   #1283
adventurebound9517
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 292
It's great to see you make the best of a bad situation Paul. That being said, maybe if we didn't give up so quickly it would be this way for more of us.
Phillip
adventurebound9517 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2014, 09:13 AM   #1284
STBNE
Yamaha ADVenturer

Oddometer: 6,066
Interesting parallels ..the world is a huge place to explore and it seems the distances between differnt cultures and countries is far away yet its all to clear that people are people no matter wher you go and in my mind Paul your adventures and reationships with all these people make the world a smaller place...we are all interconnected..well most of us are...LOL
Have been enjoying your exploits but have up til now not commented...an amazing adventure and journey...
STBNE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2014, 09:24 AM   #1285
chasbo
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,513
Hey Paul, I am really digging the pictures! Sorry about the bike troubles man, but you are dealing with the better than I think most people could. Good luck man!
Old 07-09-2014, 09:35 AM   #1286
achesley
Old Motorcyclist

Oddometer: 3,407
Still lovin the pictures and the day to day posting or , when ever you can. Hope the bike situation gets mo betta. Thanks much for the time and work to share with us.

A '00 KLR 650 39,000 miles, A '07 1250S 77,000 actual, A '03 5.3L Chevy Truck 76,000 + '43 style dude , Simper Fi ;-)
achesley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2014, 09:36 AM   #1287
MrGoldfish
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 481
I've been following along since before your pitstop in las vegas to refuel, recharce and save up some money. Very much enjoy your postings. Keep it up and good luck!
MrGoldfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2014, 11:17 AM   #1288
h2o_snow
Water, snow & dirt too.

Oddometer: 712
Quote:
Originally Posted by Comrade Art View Post
Keep posting

+1 here. Really enjoying the pics and your tale.

Not a lot to say however - awesome report. I'm sure more here appreciate it than you know.

Good luck with the repairs and travels!
Over the hills where the spirits fly,
I really don't know.
h2o_snow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2014, 01:17 PM   #1289
wdeTA
TransAlp Adv

Oddometer: 440
I too tend to lurk so as not to clutter up great ride reports, but know that your efforts are much appreciated. If you need more proof, just check your star rating (just shy of a full 5) and view count (currently 326,631).

89 Transalp
01 XR400R
http://daleeva.smugmug.com/Motorcycle
wdeTA is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2014, 03:39 PM   #1290
SavannahCapt
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 695
Thanks for your efforts to keep us entertained! I know it is easier to just ride and enjoy. Tell Sasha he has a place to stay in SE Georgia US should he ever get over here.