Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-20-2014, 03:32 PM   #1366
rtwpaul OP
out riding...

Oddometer: 2,134
Quote:
Originally Posted by SchizzMan View Post
Hola Paul!

Mongolia is beautiful. Thanks for taking us along. And for the story links.
Makes for good reading.

How are the GL bags working out for you? (I gotta get some bags for the KTM)
personally i like the idea of them in principal, no racks etc, but if you need anything you have to empty almost the whole thing out, also the weight is carried higher than bags, for short trips up to a week or two they would be fine, also not waterproof even if you have the waterproof liner you can't get everything in them to the correct shape so you have to fill gaps with stuff and then it gets wet so you really have to plan how you pack

so for a ride like this i'm not a fan right now, the tank bag on the other hand is great for my shaped tank
Old 07-20-2014, 04:59 PM   #1367
SavannahCapt
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 802
Thank you for the spectacular update! Great photos. Great narrative.
Old 07-21-2014, 09:24 AM   #1368
Greenhopper
Adventurer

Oddometer: 25
Hello Paul
As others have said, I to really appreciate being able to tag along vicariously through your ride report.

I'm curious about the fuel situation, on average how far are you having to plan between locations where there is fuel available?
Chris
Greenhopper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2014, 11:29 AM   #1369
onewilko
n00b

Oddometer: 1
Oh Ello

Fly bondage dita von teese look a like seeks original owner. Give me a grid mate and it's yours in September if I can fight the 12 baboons off my back to get there. Stay well, upright and most of all embrace your Great British linage!

onewilko screwed with this post 07-21-2014 at 12:00 PM
onewilko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2014, 04:52 AM   #1370
rtwpaul OP
out riding...

loads of updates from tomorrow onwards i'll be in Barnaul Russia for a few days with solid internet...

tonight i was riding out of the Altai onto the flatlands, nowhere to hide for a wild camp so i rode the nearest village and picked the guy with the nicest car and asked if i can sent my tent at his house...

he calls his son who speaks english and said no problem, i'm in the house right now using his internet, he is the only person with it in the viallge and his wife is making dinner...

more details tomorrow....

this adveture riding is, ahem...and adventure everyday!!!!
Old 07-22-2014, 08:43 AM   #1371
sasho
Dual Personality

Oddometer: 565
Quote:
Originally Posted by rtwpaul View Post
loads of updates from tomorrow onwards i'll be in Barnaul Russia for a few days with solid internet...
I hope you enjoy Barnaul--really nice town, with some great restaurants (check out Pojarnaya, with a fire truck inside it), and the night clubs are hopping!! Can't wait for the next update. I love Barnaul!!
sasho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2014, 02:55 PM   #1372
h2o_snow
Water, snow & dirt too.

Oddometer: 741
Quote:

Thanks again for the effort - I'm enjoying your ride!
Over the hills where the spirits fly,
I really don't know.
h2o_snow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2014, 10:13 PM   #1373
SkizzMan
There, that's it

Oddometer: 8,660
Quote:

tonight i was riding out of the Altai onto the flatlands, nowhere to hide for a wild camp so i rode the nearest village and picked the guy with the nicest car and asked if i can sent my tent at his house...

he calls his son who speaks english and said no problem, i'm in the house right now using his internet, he is the only person with it in the viallge and his wife is making dinner...

more details tomorrow....

Really glad to hear you're making such good contacts with the people. That's the icing on the cake in my view.

"As long as there's a horizon and I can see it, then I want to know what's there, mentally, physically and visually" - rtwpaul
SkizzMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2014, 12:36 AM   #1374
rtwpaul OP
out riding...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Merlin III View Post
I have always heard that the Russian people were very hospitable, but with the current geopolitical events I wonder if there is any tension in the air?
russians are super friendly, but they read my license plate and ones who understand say, "oh, you're from America?" i reply i'm English and i live in America, then they respond..."thats Ok then!!!"

and sooner or later the topic of the Ukraine conflict comes up, i tell them i have been on the road for a long time and don't really know or want to know about it, as the Ukraine is not one of my destinations, then the topic of conversation changes to something else...best not to get involved just incase something i say is lost in translation
Old 07-23-2014, 12:49 AM   #1375
rtwpaul OP
out riding...

Quote:
Originally Posted by sasho View Post
I hope you enjoy Barnaul--really nice town, with some great restaurants (check out Pojarnaya, with a fire truck inside it), and the night clubs are hopping!! Can't wait for the next update. I love Barnaul!!
Barnaul is really only a place for me to do some clean up after Mongolia and a small service, the main reason i am here is because i have tires waiting for me, which now i have to carry as mine as still not far off new looking...its a PITA

I missed the place you suggested near Kosh-Agach i was in the area quite early in the day so kept riding, i'll get to that part soon in an update and you understand why i opted for somewhere else

...but keep throwing suggestions my way, one will stick soon
Old 07-23-2014, 12:50 AM   #1376
rtwpaul OP
out riding...

Quote:
Originally Posted by SchizzMan View Post
Really glad to hear you're making such good contacts with the people. That's the icing on the cake in my view.
and in last nights case and bottle of brandy too
Old 07-23-2014, 02:36 AM   #1377
rtwpaul OP
out riding...

...and the pavement ends for the next 1000k's

leaving the serene hillside it won't be too long before the pavement ends and this day will go down as another FUBAR day for the books...but not for me

first a stop at a little canyon...well i live a few hours from the Grand Canyon so this is little to me

around the corner there it is, no easing into it, just BLAM in your face tracks everywhere

every horizon you reach and crest a hill and the other side looks like this

open grazing but the wildlife seems to like to be on the tracks as well

into a gas station for a fill up and as usual a crowd gathers, in this case most of them spoke English...Wilko getting pushy in this one

then back at it

stopping for a break photo opportunities present themselves

then more track work

a motorcycle, a big tent (ger), a solar panal and a satellite dish...almost every ger we saw had this

the next stop for a snack i found bailing wire wrapped around Garry's rear sprocket, an accident waiting to happen...it made a scotsman very happy

this guy is lost i think, not the place for a seagull?????

snack finished we come out to the bikes and again a crowd, but this one points out a flat, i tell the guys to check all the tires as i suspect pinch flats, Garry finds a dented rim in a few places that has to be persuaded back into shape while the flat is fixed and tire pressures are corrected

the chase truck arrives and as we are checking things so does wilko, the cap for the brake fluid resovior has come off so improvisation is required...if your wife/ girlfriend asks why condoms are taken you can show her this

time to go find a new horizon

going over a water crossing Walter was stopped by a family so their son could get a photo on his bike...err OK

i let the four riders take off together and i meander along at my own pace stopped often to take photos along the way

eventually i catch up with them, it was getting late and they ask me if i have seen the chase truck? Nope...should be here soon, we found a place to camp and the 'American' stays up on the hillside with all his friends (none) while the rest of us wait by the road side, 30 minutes later he comes down notices the chase truck isn't here and proclaims, i'll go find them...and before any of us can say a thing he covers us with dust and is gone

i check my GPS and see we have about 40 minutes until sunset, so far now we have been waiting over two hours when 30 minutes has been the norm, we leave one bike on the road as a marker and head up the hill. I am the only one with a tent, and not a five man tent so i make a bivvy cover that we can all fit under with the rain fly of my tent

as the sunsets and still no chase truck and now no 'Merican either, i make some food for the guys as who knows how long it will be until they eat

Garry then tells me he can send a text with his DeLorme finder (like a 'Spot') it also sends our waypoint along with the text, we have no idea if Wilko has service as none of our phones do in this location...we sit and wait, it gets dark, then maybe 45 minutes to an hours later in the distance we see car lights, and as they come closer red and blue lights flashing, its the Mongolian police, we head down to the road...

Old 07-23-2014, 05:14 AM   #1378
adventurebound9517
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 330
OK, that's a cliff hanger. It appears to be cold with the long heavy coats that the locals are wearing.

Phillip
adventurebound9517 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2014, 05:53 AM   #1379
davesupreme
grand poobah

Oddometer: 1,589
oh, you're bad.....
davesupreme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2014, 06:41 AM   #1380
rtwpaul OP
out riding...

Quote:
Originally Posted by adventurebound9517 View Post
It appears to be cold with the long heavy coats that the locals are wearing.
actually when that photos was taken it was an easy 90-95 degrees, mostly you see the guys who ride motorcycles wearing them, some are plain and thick wool others are very fancy...wilko was trying to get one from a guy but he wouldn't let it go...the first photo with the group of guys standing around far right gray long with a blue baseball cap, that was very thick wool, crazy heavy and quilted underneath