User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-26-2013, 06:47 PM   #1
JRose OP
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 627
F800 Custom Suspension

After having a previous bike with horrid suspension, and experiencing the suckitude of that, I'm considering upgrading the F800's suspension.

My local DBS guys have used a company in California, Racetech. They swear by them, and alot of their race bikes suspension has been set up by them.

I called and talked to Terry @ RT today, super friendly and helpful. Got a quote for $1700 installed to add cartridges to the front, and re-valve and spring the rear.

Was thinking about lowering it a touch to since the bike is so damn top heavy.

Anyone here have experience with these guys, or another suggestion?

Jason
JRose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2013, 02:03 AM   #2
Snowy
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,588
Not trying to threadjack, but I went Ohlins for my F800, but RaceTech for one of my DR650's.

I expected that the Ohlins at nearly 3 times the price of the RaceTech would be a better shock. The reality was I was disappointed in the Ohlins.

I got the opposite of what I expected with the RaceTech. Very happy with the RaceTech on the DR. Very happy indeed. Exceeded my wildest expectations, on a bang for buck basis. I just did 2500km of corrugated roads and bush tracks on it and I have fallen in love with the DR all over again. It now represents comfortable and reliable motorcycling in it's simplest form.
Snowy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2013, 07:09 AM   #3
runnin4melife
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 803
It is up to the personal preference of the rider, Snowy hates Ohlins, I had to modify mine a bit to get it where I want it but enjoy it (am looking at a KTM front end in the future though if that gives you any idea, but I am also always looking to tinker too). I do think a solid rear shock is a good way to go as opposed to revalve/spring, but again that is determined by you and your budget. Definitely call around and see what other shops are offering (big disparities in pricing exist) also if you're military etc... some places give significant discounts.
runnin4melife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2013, 01:24 PM   #4
JRose OP
Studly Adventurer

Thanks. I just noticed there was a few threads on this topic.

Go figure, I'm not the first person to want to upgrade the F800 suspension! Ha

I'll read some of these other threads, as well as look around at other shops.

Jason
Old 07-28-2013, 03:21 AM   #5
Snowy
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,588
I don't hate Ohlins.

That's just mean spirited and small minded.

I hate paying top dollar and getting mediocre product. If RaceTech did a kit that could do for the Ohlins what their kit did for the DR shock, I'd have it in a heartbeat.

I believe I've stated many times that the Ohlins is fine for solo all roads touring. It isn't a "dirt" shock by a long shot. If you spend enough you can get it to work well.

If you're into that sort of thing. Owning a BMW or anything Ohlins is like sadomasochism....sometimes it hurts sooo good....sometimes you pay a lot and it just fucking hurts.
Snowy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2013, 06:26 AM   #6
runnin4melife
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 803
Slap me silly and call me Sally then Yeah the bare bones NIX kit left something to be desired but after two trips back to the suspension fella it came back and I am pretty pleased with the Ohlins. Definitely no magic bullet, I have heard wonders about the RMZ forks and then the WP KTM forks though but haven't had time to commit to that.
runnin4melife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2013, 02:15 PM   #7
jengel451
1 Cool MotherF#$cker

Oddometer: 666
For the forks, definitely give Alex a call at Konflict.

I just rode from Avery Idaho through Red Ives, the ClearWater and down through the Lolo Nat Forrest.

I wasn't sight seeing, I was trying to see how fast I could do it. the forks over rocks, washboards etc, was butter smooth, the front just felt like it was floating over the chattery stuff. Big hits, G outs and hitting washouts just soaked it up, no bottoming.

It still gives great feedback. BTW, no steering damper, I don't think I need one as the front has yet to do something unexpected.

For the rear, I'm still pretty happy with the Wilbers, but I may talk to Ted at the Beemer shop though as I did bottom out a few times and I'm about maxed out on the compression settings. I ordered it as 90% dirt too.

Side note, running MT21 front and D606 rear first time as combo. I'm NEVER going back to the TKC80's the bike just hooks up now!!! (it's loud on the tarmac though)
jengel451 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2013, 04:00 PM   #8
JRose OP
Studly Adventurer

I ran M21's on my last bike. They were great in the dirt, and actually not that scary on the road either.

Back tire didn't last long though, but that's to be expected with knobs
Old 07-28-2013, 04:35 PM   #9
jengel451
1 Cool MotherF#$cker

Oddometer: 666
Quote:
Originally Posted by JRose View Post
I ran M21's on my last bike. They were great in the dirt, and actually not that scary on the road either.

Back tire didn't last long though, but that's to be expected with knobs
Agreed, I used to run them on my 650L back in the 90's. Didn't think they'd be that good on the big 800, but yeah, even on Tarmac I'm able to get some pretty good speed and lean angle out of them. The 606 rear slides really well
jengel451 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2013, 06:08 PM   #10
JRose OP
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by jengel451 View Post
Agreed, I used to run them on my 650L back in the 90's. Didn't think they'd be that good on the big 800, but yeah, even on Tarmac I'm able to get some pretty good speed and lean angle out of them. The 606 rear slides really well
I'm trying the Scorpion Pro's on the F800 now. Unsure of what to think of that blocky style rear lug, but I'm gonna give it a whirl.

I know this is a digression of the OT, but eff it...
Old 07-29-2013, 05:43 AM   #11
Ceri JC
UK GSer

Oddometer: 2,462
I rode a KTM990Adv that had MT21s on back to back with my F800GS [edit: which has a Mitas E-10 front and a TKC-80 rear] weekend before last. Not as bad on the road as the tread pattern would suggest and really good in the dirt. I think my next tyres will be MT21s.