User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-19-2012, 08:14 AM   #1
Toadride OP
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 824
Toad On The Road

And so it begins. As of today, a homeless person. Albeit much more fortunate than a true homeless person but the feeling is there. The long, nerve wracking four year divorce battle is over, the apartment is empty,

everything in it being sold, and the truck is gone. My building tools (I'm a builder) and machinery in storage.
The new steed awaits.

The plan is pretty simple. Travel for a year. Prolly just North America for me. We'll see. First to the interior of BC to land at my friend Jim's annual event Bubba's Borscht, Burn and BBQ.

Then north to Prince Rupert for a little cruise up to Haines. Back on the road to Anchorage, Fairbanks, Chicken and back to O Canada. Where I will head east on all the most northerly routes I can find. Drop down into southern Ontario to see some long lost relatives and friends. Then back up, Northern Quebec, Trans Lab, Newfy and her eastern cousins. By then I'll prolly be feelin the chill so I'll begin my Snowbird routine of dropping down the eastern US coast. Fla., Texas Coast, Arizona, New Mex., and S. Cali all will be lookin good for the chilly months. And, who knows, if I meet the right people, wise in the ways of Mexican travel who speak Spanish and am invited along, I may just join them. Come late spring I will hopefully be able to ride up the Rockies thru Colorado, Idaho and the like to get back to the Kootenay region to find that perfect little acre to buy and build my new home. It's a vague plan but it's all I got.
Old 07-19-2012, 10:04 AM   #2
Redhed
Lost on the Island

Oddometer: 81
Watch for Toads on the Road...

Hey Doug
I like that pic of you and your new ride. As you know, I have been on the road for a bit too. Had a bit of an eye-opener outside of Bella Coola with Mr. Griz, so be careful with your camping. I am going to attempt a stealth visit for Sturgis North, outside of Vernon. I will let you know what kind of reception non- Hog riders get. Keep in touch, and perhaps when you have done your Northern loop I will have found a good Spanish language immersion skool.... Vaya con Dios mi amigo..
Redhed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2012, 10:13 AM   #3
Wolfgang55
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,351
Some guys would sit in the corner & feel sorry for themselves.

Glad you are going to get out & about. Who knows you might find a reason to add a sidecar. Dogs are faithful & never selfish.......except my mini Dashound. Geeees!

If you get into NM let me know.
Wolfgang55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2012, 10:37 AM   #4
boxermoose
Now fully goosed

Oddometer: 2,836
Enjoy the trip!

The one pic - Kootney or Arrow Lakes by chance?

If you are down Houston way drop me a line - We're expats & I just got an NTX myself and can provide tools and if needed a ride to MPH
Old 07-19-2012, 09:31 PM   #5
Toadride OP
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redhed View Post
Hey Doug
I like that pic of you and your new ride. As you know, I have been on the road for a bit too. Had a bit of an eye-opener outside of Bella Coola with Mr. Griz, so be careful with your camping. I am going to attempt a stealth visit for Sturgis North, outside of Vernon. I will let you know what kind of reception non- Hog riders get. Keep in touch, and perhaps when you have done your Northern loop I will have found a good Spanish language immersion skool.... Vaya con Dios mi amigo..
Hey Dave. you and Cliffnotes should get together to compare notes on kissing Grizz. I'll contact you when I get closer to Bubbas'
Old 07-19-2012, 09:45 PM   #6
Toadride OP
Studly Adventurer

What can I say about today. Sort of a total washout. God, I hate landloards! I'm cleanin, tryin to get outta there and he's goin "You missed a spot". Just gimmee my deposit dammit! So it turns out to be well after two in the afternoon before I hit the trail. So, I shoot abunch of vid riding thru the back twisties leavng town on my new drift camera and now I'm lookin at them and they're all hooped. All jerky and pixelating and the like. I try another shot in the room (I'm in a hotel now) and it turns out the same. I popped the memory card and reinserted it and formatted and noww it's running fine Doh! So, no pics tonight. Fresh start tomorrow and maybe, just maybe I can get some distance.
Oh ya, the bike? Waaay overloaded but I gotta say, this young Italian big breasted (have you seen the headlights on her?) whore (only because she's costing me a lot of money) just wants to haul ass!
Old 07-19-2012, 09:45 PM   #7
Toadride OP
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by boxermoose View Post
Enjoy the trip!

The one pic - Kootney or Arrow Lakes by chance?

If you are down Houston way drop me a line - We're expats & I just got an NTX myself and can provide tools and if needed a ride to MPH
Yep Arrow lake.
Old 07-20-2012, 12:32 PM   #8
potski
Wiley Wanderer

Oddometer: 499
Hi Toadride.

All the best on your forthcoming adventure and new life in front of you.

I have a liking for Guzzis myself, in particular the Stelvio, so looking forward to seeing how you both get on and how she handles the big ride.

Subscribed

Ride safe

Cheers
Potski
Old 07-20-2012, 12:52 PM   #9
betitolara
ADV rider wannabe

Oddometer: 783
I'm in! looking forward to following you along Mr. Toadride

If you eve find yourself near Vancouver Island let me know. It'd be great to share stories over a drink
Cheers,
Alberto
betitolara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2012, 06:48 PM   #10
Eclecticmale
Adventurer

Oddometer: 69
Toad, please enjoy your trip. By the way...very nice bike!!!

2009 Triumph Scrambler
2011 SUZUKI DL650 VSTROM
Eclecticmale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2012, 07:04 PM   #11
Toadride OP
Studly Adventurer

Potski said: I have a liking for Guzzis myself, in particular the Stelvio, so looking forward to seeing how you both get on and how she handles the big ride.
I'll get back to talking about her soon enough.

Betitolara said: I'm in! looking forward to following you along Mr. Toadride
Sorry I missed you both at the Six Mile that time. Your ride was epic and totally enjoyable.

But now, time to catch up.
My slo start finally got me on the ferry, sheepishly surrounded by thundering hogs.

Landing in Horseshoe Bay had me being chased by them halfway to Whistler. But their absurd loudness is just only that and my young gal just walked away from them.
Pushed on past Whistler because I was really trying to make some time but stopped for a bite in Pemberbush and thought I call my old friend and roomate Jeff to say hi and by. Turns out he was just about to leave for his cottage on Loon Lake and I got invited along. Bout a three hour tour so I just took my time rambling up the Duffy Lake to Lillooet and beyond. Took a pic at the same spot I took one of my new Bandit a good six years ago.

Anyhoo, if your wondering what happened to me, it was Jeff's fault. Completely off the grid, his cottage, not without creature comforts but mosdef a little piece of heaven.

Lost there for two days and lovin it. Here's my good bud Jeff

Getting out of there Sunday afternoon I headed up the road towards Green Lake to take the scenic route east from there. But Zeus had other plans. As I drove towards Green Lake, the ugliest, blackest cloud mass I believe I have ever seen was slowly working its way towards me. And the big guy was even startin to throw thunderbolts at me. Right on the very edge of all Hell was Quasimodo's place. Well, you know. Sanctuary. In the form of the Little Horse Resort. Complete with rustic cabins at $70.

And as the deluge began 10 minutes later, I was happy to pay.
And the little horse? He's there.

Now I don't know who won that battle that night but it was a rip snorter. And what a deluge. Went on and on thru the night. Even knocked out the power for most of the night. Which is also why I couldn't communicate. Couldn't even get all my devices charged back up.
Prepared for the worst the next day and fully decked out in the rain attire I headed out for Kamloops. Dark clouds but it didn't come down. So now I'm holed up in a fleabag with Wifi and am bringin all systems back online, Capn. The sun's gonna break tomorrow. I just know it and they said so, dammit!
I will be headed up and around on Paul Lake road and then intend to ride around Sushawp lake because I heard it on good authority here that it's a great ride.
From there I'll be working my way to Revelstoke and then down towards Nakusp looking for good camping along the way. This is the area I hope to come back to next year and find that perfect acre of land (on the lake?) to rebuild on. I'll have my eyes open on this leg. Plenty of time till Friday and BUBBA'S!

Ya Baby!!!
Old 07-26-2012, 09:49 AM   #12
Toadride OP
Studly Adventurer

Bad or no wifi has kept me off the either these last few days but here on Kootenay Lake I've got the fastest yet. So. to catch up.
Taking a jaunt over Paul Lake Rd. north of Kamloops I was able to hit some dirt and feel out the beast a little more. Admittedly it was a good gravel road and I found the Guzzi's handling rock steady. 600 plus pounds may just have some advantage. Greatest fear being how do I right this beast if and when she goes over? Something I attempt to practice with help at Bubba's.
Paul Lake was a beautiful short hop opening up to the valley below.

Then it was on to Revelstoke on the TCH. Gotta love this high speed cruising in total comfort. Big cushy seat gives me no grief at all and the windshield works the way it should. Plus with the weight, crosswinds barely move her.
I've been chasing the tail end of this storm and because of its slow movements, keep almost running into it. The local weather satellite photos show it as looking like a Typhoon covering a big portion of BC. It might not have the same winds but I'm sure it matched the moisture levels. Thankfully it is moving on towards Alberta.
Revelstoke turned out to be a pretty town with majestic peaks close by and a beautiful river running thru. Too bad about the damn trains rolling by thru the night.

Sun came out the next morning as I headed south on 23 the the ferry on Upper Arrow lakes. The colour of the water in these lakes has to make them the jewels of the Kootenays.

Any wonder that this is the area I want to end up in when this is over?

The ride down and past Nakusp has some of the best riding roads in BC, imho. Unfortunately, my mind was pulled to the increasing bad running of my new bike. The farther I went, the more the vibration would increase and the power would diminish. Every time I stopped. It would seem to start out ok and then get worse. Idle was down from 1300 to 1100 but it wasn't stalling or anything. This was all happening on a full tank of fuel from Revelstoke. Even got the Chevron super duper stuff. It got to a point that I took this motel room outside of Nelson so I could get some internet access. Immediately went onto Guzzitech.com for some answers and called on my friend Jim (Bubba). He's a fairly new owner of a Norge and is wise in the way of the world. Best answers, actually, came from him. 1. check for tank vacuum. Bike was sitting for an hour now and I had removed the plugs to find both left and right with normal burning signs. The right was maybe a little more leaner but not much. With over an hour down, I did pop the filler cap to hear a small amout of hiss. As I had had the tank jaccked up to find the damn hidden heated grip wires so I could install them, I may have pinched the vent hoses. I was very careful lowering it back down but, who knows. One thing I remember whilst looking for the extremely well hidden grip wires was that I was able to look thru a space in the frame and actually discover the bastiges but I had to reef the vent hoses aside to look. I now checked those and did indeed see one squeezed between the frame and tank. Freed it up but have not yet tested the bike. 2. Bubba mentioned the recess where the tank cap is mounted actually holds water around its edge and, in the rain I noticed this puddle there. He said a previous KTM was running like poo because of water and a water dispersion additive fixed it right up. So it will be off to Lordco for me this morning. And if it doesn't get any better, Jim said there is a new KTM outlet in Nelson that may be able to help. I will also head for Bubba's a day early and strip her down (AGAIN!) to make it wasn't my bad. No, really. I am lovin this bike. Just haven't done so much wrenching on a new bike in a while.
I said to Jim; "you know the chase scene in Bullett? This bike sounds remarkaby like the GT when doing accelerated hiway shifts at 6 grand. Just no double shifting here." He said," I know I said that very thing." Lol.
Old 07-26-2012, 04:48 PM   #13
Throttlemeister
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,697
Hola Toad I know what you mean about riding a whore, I got my Big Mexican Whore, and riding whores sure is fun I must say you sure have a pretty one to mess with

Been needing some good quality entertainment while I'm on 'break' and to answer your question I'll be removing that tire iron in my leg even if I have to go back down to VZ to get it done

Have a great ride man, that Nakusup-Rogers-Revel, area is some of the finest riding in the Lands to the Near North Wish I was there riding with you

Now let's hear some more stories
Old 07-27-2012, 06:59 PM   #14
Redhed
Lost on the Island

Oddometer: 81
"When this is Over??"

Hey Toad
On Blondie, I had similar stalling issues last week. Initially I thought it was bad fuel too. When I opened the gas tank there was a huge pressure differential, which I suspect was caused by riding through the Fraser Canyon where it was 38 degrees.
Our Kelowna friends put her on the 'puter and while the stalling was documented, no solution was found. Fresh gas and cooler weather seems to have fixed that issue. The technician also checked the vent hose on Blondie as a precaution, so you are on the right track, maybe.
Routledge is starting tomorrow morning, so will let you know what you missed.
Redhed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2012, 06:56 PM   #15
borscht zanetti
06 950 Adventure

Oddometer: 175
Festina Lente

Hey Toad

Great to see you as always and will follow your travels with much interest. Meet your own needs, desires and appetites buddy. Tomorrow, has the amazing option, of changing the direction before you get there.

Enjoy Doug ! Be brave ...enjoy it all.

borscht zanetti screwed with this post 07-30-2012 at 03:45 AM
borscht zanetti is offline   Reply With Quote