User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-24-2014, 06:10 PM   #766
Saralou
Worldwide Rider

Oddometer: 761
BA bound

Now its time to head back south to get a flight home from BA June 19. What we found out about the still continuing road blockade is that they are protesting a lack of public transportation. The blockade started ironically on the same day that the new 250 million dollar cable car system from this area El Alto to the center opened. It transports 18,000 people an hour!

potosi 2 1

From La Paz going south on the 1 is construction all the way to Oruro, but this is only 220 km.

potosi 2 3

potosi 2 2

ADV RR Finding Freedom...World Wide Ride

Join the Adventure
Saralou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2014, 06:11 PM   #767
Saralou
Worldwide Rider

BA bound

The next town is Challapata in 121 km more, but it is pretty sketchy, so that leaves a big ride all the way to Potosi at 535 km.

Screen Shot 2014-06-05 at 10.01.32 PM

It was pretty windy at times, but at least it was mostly with us. Arriving here we ended up going up the same crazy steep stupid road as we did last time. Well at least we knew the way to the hotel from there.

Join the Adventure
Old 07-27-2014, 07:13 PM   #768
Saralou
Worldwide Rider

Potosi Bolivia Casa de Modena

Mike Waterman had suggested we visit the mint and we did. This is the Casa de Modena and you can only visit by going on a tour. It was pretty interesting, but if you had to choose I would go to the Santa Teresa Convent like we did the first time we were here.

potosi 2 5

potosi 2 7

potosi 2 21

potosi 2 15

potosi 2 9

potosi 2 23

potosi 2 22

potosi 2 29

potosi 2 30

potosi 2 41

Join the Adventure
Old 07-27-2014, 07:14 PM   #769
Saralou
Worldwide Rider

Potosi Bolivia

Mules powered the early machines, then steam machines took over and these were ultimately replaced with electric presses.

potosi 2 49

potosi 2 52

DSC08890

potosi 2 97

Join the Adventure
Old 07-27-2014, 07:14 PM   #770
Saralou
Worldwide Rider

Potosi Bolivia

There were all kinds of scales for weighting various metals. The strong boxes had very intricate keys and lock mechanisms.

potosi 2 57

potosi 2 61

potosi 2 59

potosi 2 82

Join the Adventure
Old 07-27-2014, 07:15 PM   #771
Saralou
Worldwide Rider

Potosi Bolivia

There were also on display a number of silver art objects and a huge mineral collection.

potosi 2 64

potosi 2 70

potosi 2 73

potosi 2 74

potosi 2 84

potosi 2 86

Join the Adventure
Old 07-28-2014, 11:13 AM   #772
decodent
CyberGypsy

Oddometer: 1,409
Wow ... that image showing the red dirt - looks like "red rock country" in Utah.

I still can't get over all the pics you've taken. When I do my version of this trip I'm going to likely go through all your posts so I can figure what TO see and what NOT to see!

~Doug
aka "decodent"
Old 07-29-2014, 09:32 AM   #773
Saralou
Worldwide Rider

red dirt

Quote:
Originally Posted by decodent View Post
Wow ... that image showing the red dirt - looks like "red rock country" in Utah.

I still can't get over all the pics you've taken. When I do my version of this trip I'm going to likely go through all your posts so I can figure what TO see and what NOT to see!

~Doug
aka "decodent"

It is amazing how many times we ride thru areas and say "i looks just like....." We did see a lot but not all by a long shot. The world is a big place and we are just scratching the surface. SP

Join the Adventure
Old 07-29-2014, 09:34 AM   #774
Saralou
Worldwide Rider

Back south again

Getting out of the city is a lot less traumatic then getting in and we had come from Uyuni last time and so finally we were on virgin road again.

Screen Shot 2014-06-08 at 4.30.15 PM

The scenery is very different here from the high mountain pass and plateau from Uyuni. It is a very windy road going down from 4000m to 3500m and the temperature went from 10 to 18 degrees. We headed south to Tupiza where we spent our last 5 Bolivianos on gas and headed to the border at Villazon in 345 km. If you want to change money all the casas de Cambio are on the Bolivian side. We ended up changing USD at a corner store, as there are NO blue market traders on the Argentinean side. Arriving here at the border park on the bridge and to the right. Just ahead to the left is the Bolivian Aduana (where we got our import papers) so go here and cancel your temporary permit. They want your permit and passport. Then head across the road to the Bolivian Immigration where you get your passport exit stamp. The office next to this is the Argentinean Immigration. Here you fill in the tourist paper and get a passport entry stamp and permission for 90 days visit. They will of course want to see your reciprocity receipt. Now go back across the road to the Argentinean Aduana and get your temporary permit. Here they want your passport, title, and proof of insurance. Make sure you ask for 6 months for the bike if you need it and it much easier to get your stay extended then the bike.

Heading into town it was nice to know where the hotel and a good restaurant were already. Filling up with Argentinean gas was also a good feeling after crappy Bolivian gas.

Today we left 3700 m and ended up 200 km later at 2100 m. It was also very windy with it luckily mostly at our backs and with driving at 100 km/hours we made it with 3 liters per 100 km.

Join the Adventure
Old 07-29-2014, 09:35 AM   #775
Saralou
Worldwide Rider

thoughts

Thoughts on Peru and Bolivia.

The coast of Peru is sand, garbage, wind, and chicken farms. The towns north of Nazca all look post- apocalyptic to us and in fact in Chiclayo we thought we were in a Mad Max movie. The scenery and towns south of Nazca do improve and Tacna is quite nice. In the south it is much the same with the exception of Arequipa and Cusco. The garbage here is unbelievable and in huge contrast to the natural beauty.

Bolivia is another myth shattered. We were always sold gas without much issue. The people were universally nice to us and friendly. We were never hassled by police. That said this country also has a garbage problem. With the exception of Sucre, Potosi, and parts of La Paz it too looks like after Armageddon.

Join the Adventure
Old 07-29-2014, 09:36 AM   #776
Saralou
Worldwide Rider

Purmamarca

From the border we headed south 228 km to Purmamarca, which is a tourist enclave because of the beauty of the valley.

Screen Shot 2014-06-08 at 4.32.47 PM

purmamarca 1

There is a nice walk here thru the valley of the colors.

purmamarca 2

purmamarca 3

purmamarca 5

purmamarca 4

purmamarca 7

purmamarca 9

purmamarca 11

purmamarca 15

purmamarca 22

purmamarca 24

purmamarca 25

Join the Adventure
Old 07-29-2014, 02:44 PM   #777
Goldie05
Fast George

Oddometer: 632
Quote:
Originally Posted by BcDano View Post
Here is a Google map to review our 1o weeks in Mexico.

Screen Shot 2012-12-22 at 11.37.20 AM by Worldwide Ride.ca, on Flickr
Hey guys

Just found your blog and I'm now reading from page 1, already on page 5 and completely hooked. This is a trip I plan on doing one day.
You guys are making an amazing RR, wish my wife rode so I could do it with her.
Above is a map of your trip through Mexico during 8 weeks.
My questions are:

When you stayed in hotels where did you leave the bikes?
When you visited parks, museums, where did you leave the bikes? on the street? is it safe?
When you were at the beach, what about the bikes and all the bags?

and finally, how much did the 2.5 month through Mexico cost you guys? roughly

I don't want to jump to the end, going to read through 50+ pages, it might take a while but I'm enjoying your photos tremendously, I'm a photographer so I also take lots of photos.

By the way, I was in Alaska at the same time as you guys in 2012
I met Alicia and Miguel in Cantwell, Alaska. Wrote about the meeting here:
http://www.riding-the-usa.com/2014/0...ay-part-1.html

and also ran into German bikers Anja and Torsten, camped next to them in Tok, unfortunately didn't take a picture of them. wrote about it here, all the way at the end of the blog entry:
http://www.riding-the-usa.com/2014/0...rn-to-tok.html

Thanks for any info
Riding USA Blog
GeorgeFPhotography
Goldie05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2014, 09:54 PM   #778
Saralou
Worldwide Rider

George

George

Hi there!

I just checked out you blog! Very Very Very nice pics. I will start at the beginning!

Funny how you meet the same people in different spots. We met Torsten and Anja on our way up and their way down the Dempster and then in Valdez. Funny too we stayed with friends in La Falda Argentina who know her too since she was there with her boyfriend who is from Oregon. They saw her picture on our RR. We have run into Alicia in Dawson, Oaxaca, and Santiago.

Mexico.

We stayed almost exclusively in hotels in Mexico as they really don’t have a camping culture and hotels are cheap. The ones we picked almost always had parking. We have hotel rating system that we apply everywhere we go and starting with #1. This may mean a secure lot or in lots of places in the lobby or courtyard. The hotel people are more worried that your bike has a safe place than you are I think. In a very few spots we have had to use a cable lock and we parked on the sidewalk outside the door of the hotel and cabled the bikes together and to the window bars. It was never an issue and we never felt worried.

1. Secure parking
2. Clean and good price
3. wifi
4. Hot water

If we took the bike to archeological sites there is always a parking lot and there are always security guards. Museums are mostly in cities so we parked at the hotel and walked or took the bus/subway etc. If we are diving around in a city we just parked on the street and went to a restaurant or whatever in view of the bikes, but there was never an issue.

We have disk locks that we always use on the disk when the bike is parked. Get a cable that has loop ends put on the disk lock so you don’t need an extra lock if you need to cable the bike to something.

We never felt the bikes or ourselves were unsafe in Mexico. As everywhere we never drive at night. We do not go out to clubs or bars. We avoid tourist areas as they attract the criminal element and we hang with the locals in family neighborhoods. We are not much for the beach, but if we are leaving the bikes & stuff unguarded we use pack safes for the dry bags and a bike cover (best 30 $ security device ever). Usually you can park with the bikes in view. We never felt it was a risk. Almost all tourist “activity” sites will have secure parking.

The cost will depend on hotel choice and life style. We were 85$ per day that’s 2 bikes and fuel and food/beer, bike maintenance and entertainment……..everything you can think of. In Mexico we did not, but you can camp at all police stations in all cities for free. They usually have a lot or compound for you and the bike. In a pinch you can camp at a Pemex station.

Cannot wait to get into your Blog! Maybe you should do what Dan did on our 5 th wedding anniversary 13 years ago. I came home and there was a dirt bike in the garage…That is how I got my start and moved to the road bike in 2010

[/url]Untitled by Worldwide Ride.ca, on Flickr

[/url]DSC_0090 - Version 2 by Worldwide Ride.ca, on Flickr

Cheers Sara

Join the Adventure
Old 07-30-2014, 05:14 AM   #779
SavannahCapt
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 731
Different bike, same pretty smile.. Great story.!
Old 07-30-2014, 07:41 AM   #780
Goldie05
Fast George

Oddometer: 632
Quote:
Originally Posted by Saralou View Post
George

Hi there!

I just checked out you blog! Very Very Very nice pics.

Maybe you should do what Dan did on our 5 th wedding anniversary 13 years ago. I came home and there was a dirt bike in the garage…That is how I got my start and moved to the road bike in 2010

[/url]Untitled by Worldwide Ride.ca, on Flickr

Cheers Sara
Sara

Thanks for the reply. I always knew people are nice everywhere but you do find rotten apples once in a while

I have rented a car in Mexico and drove around the Cancun/chichen itza area and never felt unsafe.

I'm loving your RR, I showed my wife portions of it, specially the flamingos area and Monarchs park, she loved it. Maybe I will still convince her

I'm now on page 13, you entering Costa Rica, I can't wait to read about Panama, that's another area of concern for me.

By the way, I have been reading at work, shhhh, don't tell anyone

I can see you really enjoyed the first dirt bike and have continued enjoying riding, you are always smiling

Keep safe
Riding USA Blog
GeorgeFPhotography
Goldie05 is offline   Reply With Quote