Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-11-2014, 05:13 PM   #841
Saralou
Worldwide Rider

Oddometer: 779
Quote:
Originally Posted by SavannahCapt View Post
I recently rode about 280 miles with light to moderate rain. I had on a Tourmaster rain jacket and pants over Tourmaster waterproof riding pants and still got wet in the crotch. I'm pretty sure it wasn't incontinence. I think I'll try some tent seam treatment. Vancouver is beautiful. I'm sure it feels good to be home.
Thanks maybe we should just seam seal our H2O suits since it seems the consensus is no rain gear seams to withstand real rain!

ADV RR Finding Freedom...World Wide Ride

Join the Adventure
Saralou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2014, 09:44 AM   #842
Super Tenere
Voyager

Oddometer: 331
Rain gear

Hey Sarra and Dan, just thought I would chime into the rain gear debate, since I used the Hogg Toggs and fond them to be very good except they would get wet in the crotch area after prolonged (2hrs plus) riding in the rain. On days that I know it would rain all day I would add the liner into the Rev’it pants plus use the Hogg Toggs as an outer protector and this would keep me dry no matter what. They hold up good but the jacket eventually did shred to death on the last few days going down the coastal road back to BA.
Hogg Togs are made by the same company as the Frogg Toggs but are easier to put on over your boots so that you don’t need to take them off.
Would I use them again, sure would, unless someone has a less then $2000 suit that will guaranteed do everything. I’m all ears.
Old 08-14-2014, 11:15 AM   #843
Saralou
Worldwide Rider

Quote:
Originally Posted by Super Tenere View Post
Hey Sarra and Dan, just thought I would chime into the rain gear debate, since I used the Hogg Toggs and fond them to be very good except they would get wet in the crotch area after prolonged (2hrs plus) riding in the rain. On days that I know it would rain all day I would add the liner into the Revit pants plus use the Hogg Toggs as an outer protector and this would keep me dry no matter what. They hold up good but the jacket eventually did shred to death on the last few days going down the coastal road back to BA.
Hogg Togs are made by the same company as the Frogg Toggs but are easier to put on over your boots so that you dont need to take them off.
Would I use them again, sure would, unless someone has a less then $2000 suit that will guaranteed do everything. Im all ears.
Thanks for the chime in!! We are so open to all advice on this topic. The rev'tt liner does work great except when it rains after you have left for the day without it on. This does not help with the actual suit getting soaked and heavy. We are just not fans of the multilayer suit systems. The next suits we buy will be 1 layer and so we are looking to get new overwear that actually works now.

SP

Join the Adventure
Old 08-15-2014, 06:44 PM   #844
Dblarrow
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 107
Quote:
Originally Posted by Saralou View Post
Thanks for the chime in!! We are so open to all advice on this topic.

SP
No real advice, you guys are traveling the world.

I have long since decided that the extra weight and bulk of the great yellow rain gear is worth having along to stay dry.

Mine came from an Alaska job 23 years ago and still working fine.
Dblarrow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2014, 01:22 PM   #845
Saralou
Worldwide Rider

great yellow

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dblarrow View Post

I have long since decided that the extra weight and bulk of the great yellow rain gear is worth having along to stay dry.

hmmmmm That is exactly what I keep telling Dan, but so far I have not had luck..... I now have ammo Thanks!!! SP

Join the Adventure
Old 08-16-2014, 01:25 PM   #846
Saralou
Worldwide Rider

weekend on the Shuswap

We borrowed Daniel’s dad’s bike for a ride to the Shuswap lakes for the weekend.

Screen Shot 2014-07-29 at 9.34.57 PM

DSC05218

DSC05201

IMG_2791

IMG_2795

Join the Adventure

Saralou screwed with this post 10-13-2014 at 12:48 AM
Old 08-16-2014, 01:26 PM   #847
Saralou
Worldwide Rider

shuswap

We were happy to fine the look out was 581 m and not km!

DSC05203

DSC05207

DSC05210

DSC05209

Join the Adventure
Old 08-17-2014, 01:11 AM   #848
decodent
CyberGypsy

Oddometer: 1,409
Quote:

What is this "great yellow rain gear"????!!!
Old 08-18-2014, 07:46 AM   #849
Dblarrow
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by decodent View Post
What is this "great yellow rain gear"????!!!
Its just the heavy rubber rain gear they wear in Alaska (fishermen and crabbers) or anywhere; sold in farm and ranch type places. Very tough and durable. My set weighs in at close to 5lbs. Pants are bibs. Some are orange or some shade there of.
Old 08-18-2014, 11:50 PM   #850
Saralou
Worldwide Rider

rain gear

Quote:
Its just the heavy rubber rain gear they wear in Alaska (fishermen and crabbers) or anywhere; sold in farm and ranch type places. Very tough and durable. My set weighs in at close to 5lbs. Pants are bibs. Some are orange or some shade there of.
I think you mean something like this.

images-1 by Worldwide Ride.ca, on Flickr

Join the Adventure
Old 08-19-2014, 04:55 AM   #851
defib
Portly Paranurse

Oddometer: 211
The yellow rain suit

When I was in High school that's what I had for rain gear. Until it came time to use it during a ride in the mountains it worked well. The sleeves are not cuffed so my arms got wet and the chest ballooned up and I was freezing ( in summer). They are very thick and will usually hold up well to the environment. Just try to find ones with elastic or Velcro cuffed sleeves and pant legs. YMMV

There is no such thing as an inappropiate comment; just an inappropiate audience!

What does RN stand for? "refreshments and narcotics!"
defib is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2014, 07:53 AM   #852
Dblarrow
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
I think you mean something like this.

images-1 by Worldwide Ride.ca, on Flickr
Exactly.

Quote:
Originally Posted by defib View Post
When I was in High school that's what I had for rain gear. Until it came time to use it during a ride in the mountains it worked well. The sleeves are not cuffed so my arms got wet and the chest ballooned up and I was freezing ( in summer). They are very thick and will usually hold up well to the environment. Just try to find ones with elastic or Velcro cuffed sleeves and pant legs. YMMV
Yep, just make sure your gloves cover the sleeves and you have no problems. And a small velcro strap around the bottom keeps the water out there also.
Old 08-29-2014, 04:42 PM   #853
Lifes2short
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 267
Finding Freedom...World Wide Ride

Quote:
We got these suits before the trip in 2012. We had worn them for less than 10 times when they both delaminated and were no longer waterproof when we were in Colombia. Rev'tt and Revzilla were awesome and fully replaced both suits at no cost to us well after the warrantee was over.

No riding suit is waterproof despite what they say. You will always need rain gear. We took the H2O suits home and we are buying 2 piece suits. That way the top can double as a rain jacket off the bike and so we can get rid of our MEC/REI rain coats. We have not yet decided on which brand, but Frog togs are high on the list.

SP

Welcome home guys. For what it's worth Lori and I both started out with the Revit Cyclone H2O jackets and they started to fall apart within a very short time. They did very little to keep us dry, I blamed the single layer construction and the short length. Both jackets got sent back to Revzilla under warranty.

We picked up a couple Olympia Horizon rain jackets in the meantime, I have the matching Horizon pants and Lori has Frogg Toggs pants. We're both happy with the jackets, they have a mesh layer inside that doesn't sick to you and seem to breathe better. It's kept me 100% dry so far. Although admittedly we have experienced very little rain since getting these jackets.

The other jacket I looked at before settling on the Olympia was the Revit Nitric. But it has snaps all the way down the front vs Velcro on the Horizon. Nitric is also mesh down the entire length inside the jacket while the Horizon is solid 2 layer construction at the bottom portion of the jacket. My thought is that the solid mesh will continue to bleed the moisture up once it gets wet while the solid nylon of the Horizon won't. I also think that the Velcro is easier to use than snaps, specially with gloves on while it's raining. Although it does tend to stick to other things that have Velcro like my gloves. I suppose this is a personal preference. I do like the 3/4 length much better than the shorter length of the Cyclone.

I like the Olympia pants where Lori doesn't like her FT. I'm tempted to get her some Gortex pants because she tends to get cranky about putting on the FT pants.

Oh and we have used the Horizon jackets as rain jackets while walking around town. I wouldn't exactly describe them as form fitting but it works.
Crackbook here Our current planetary location

Lifes2short screwed with this post 08-29-2014 at 10:57 PM
Lifes2short is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2014, 12:14 PM   #854
Saralou
Worldwide Rider

[QUOTE=Lifes2short;24961122]Welcome home guys. For what it's worth Lori and I both started out with the Revit Cyclone H2O jackets and they started to fall apart within a very short time. They did very little to keep us dry, I blamed the single layer construction and the short length. Both jackets got sent back to Revzilla under warranty.

Thanks SO much. I looked at the Olympic pants at a Moto shop in Mill Bay last weekend and they look good, but i am glad to hear you are happy with them. Now we will go try some on. Dan had picked up a pair of BMW pants for me last week since they were on sale, full refund is still possible. The BMW jacket is dual purpose for sure, but lets be honest i would rather be dry then look good wet! Cheers. Sara

Join the Adventure
Old 10-08-2014, 02:56 PM   #855
Saralou
Worldwide Rider

hosting friends

We had visits from several riders on their way north or south this summer.

Steve from the UK that we met at the Moto GP in Artgentina and who was not so sure about the jelly fish for dinner!

IMG_2858 by Worldwide Ride.ca, on Flickr

IMG_2855 by Worldwide Ride.ca, on Flickr

Faizal from Malaysia, who we met in Ushuaia and travelled with in southern Chile.

IMG_0099 by Worldwide Ride.ca, on Flickr

DSC05321 by Worldwide Ride.ca, on Flickr

Nelson and Mario from El Salvador and Steffen from Guatemala.

IMG_2836 by Worldwide Ride.ca, on Flickr

summer 14 part 1 159 by Worldwide Ride.ca, on Flickr

summer 14 part 1 160 by Worldwide Ride.ca, on Flickr

summer 14 part 1 161 by Worldwide Ride.ca, on Flickr

Join the Adventure

Saralou screwed with this post 10-13-2014 at 12:49 AM