ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > The Rockies It's all downhill from here...
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-19-2012, 05:21 PM   #31
doc_ricketts
Thumper jockey

Oddometer: 4,579
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheMightyQuinn View Post
I go through Morrison on most of my rides. I used to do a fair amount of business there, gas and snacks at the Conoco breakfast and dinners at the local restaurants, and such. Last fall at 5am on a Saturday I was heading west on Morrison road intending to catch C470 to I70. I got caught in the speed trap just east of C470. Never even got close to Morrison proper. It was an obvious revenue generating trap which had little or nothing to do with public safety. Cost me $195. Pissed me off. That was the last money anyone in Morrison has seen from me since.
More power to the patrols that catch speeders on Morrison road. My best friends wife was killed by a speeder there.
Old 07-19-2012, 05:34 PM   #32
FatChance
Road Captain

Oddometer: 10,018
Quote:
Originally Posted by doc_ricketts View Post
More power to the patrols that catch speeders on Morrison road. My best friends wife was killed by a speeder there.

Who is going to argue that point?

/thread

Sent from my BlackBerry 9330 using Tapatalk

- Calculated risk or forbidden fruit?
FatChance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2012, 05:44 PM   #33
MurphCO
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 366
I deserved to be pulled over and I deserved a ticket, got lucky, but there are most certainly quite a few areas where the speed limit could be easily bumped up to 65 and still be safe
Old 07-19-2012, 05:44 PM   #34
grub
Requires Supervision

Oddometer: 2,148
Quote:
Originally Posted by FatChance View Post
Just out of curiosity, what is wrong with giving tickets to someone exceeding the posted legal speed limit as a revenue generating system? Isn't that a targeted user tax that does not apply to someone not bending the rules? Is it not different than charging a sales tax when someone buys something and not charging someone who does not buy something? Whatever level of government you want, we have to pay for what we vote for. Would it be better if your local, state and federal taxes were higher to help pay the bills?
I have to go with FatChance on this one. Sometimes I speed because the financial risk is worth it to me for one reason or another, but I usually keep my speed within 5 mph of the posted limit when I am anywhere around any city limits.
Old 07-19-2012, 05:52 PM   #35
MurphCO
Gnarly Adventurer

http://www.crab.wa.gov/LibraryData/R...peedLimits.pdf

Interesting article and easy explanation of how speed limits are actually set. It's not just Washington state that does it this way, it's the standard rule of thumb

When you feel like you are going unnaturally slow though, chances are the speed limit has been set lower for some other purpose (see safety)

Or revenue under the guise of safety
Old 07-19-2012, 07:33 PM   #36
Yellow Pig
Allergic to Asphalt!

Oddometer: 6,819
Ah, but Colorado, like Texas, has “home rule,” where cities don’t have to comply with state laws or follow the 85th percentile rule. As a result, traffic on some roadways indicate 35 to 40 miles per hour is safe and yet the speed limit has been set at 25, or 55 is safe and yet the legal limit has been set at 40.

Old 07-19-2012, 07:45 PM   #37
MurphCO
Gnarly Adventurer

That's what I was trying to say

Speed limits set low under the guise of safety, but really as revenue Generation

Pretty much everywhere along the front range outside Denver, and most small towns

Another really stupid example of this is hwy 83 through Franktown....almost always a Douglas County Sherrif or State Patrol in there
Old 07-19-2012, 07:51 PM   #38
Graniteone
3,2,1...Beer me!

Oddometer: 390
Nothing new here. Morrison has been a speed trap town for 20+ years. Learn and live.
Graniteone is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2012, 08:28 PM   #39
Spike38 OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 40
Wow

Just Trying to point out that Morrison is using the system to fill the towns governments pockets CHA CHING. Look at the city's budget and expenditures The largest share generated by a long shot is by fines and forfeitures. I do believe in keeping the speed limits to a very safe level and 285 is a bad section of road. Morrison like many small towns use the system to their advantage. These tactics are driving people away from the town and the local businesses. They have increased the police budget every year and the population of Morrison is only around 450 people. Public safety is important but Morrison's tactics are as bad as having a troll at every road. Locals who have to travel these roads every day would avoid Morrison under any circumstance as you always feel you have to run the GAUNTLET. SO if in the area please be aware cause they wanta getya if your legal or not.
Spike38 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2012, 09:41 PM   #40
thump_co
..ouch

Oddometer: 1,929
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tha Rick View Post
Been here long?

Morrison, Lyon's, Salida, about all the small towns do that.
And the bigger ones have just automated the process.

But it's definitely about public safety.. 'cause nothing ensures safety like an unmarked Subaru parked on a shoulder that mails you a ticket weeks later.

AMA | COHVCO | Stay The Trail | BRC | TPA | BCTR | NCTR
thump_co is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2012, 09:46 PM   #41
grub
Requires Supervision

Oddometer: 2,148
Quote:
Originally Posted by thump_co View Post
But it's definitely about public safety.. 'cause nothing ensures safety like an unmarked Subaru parked on a shoulder that mails you a ticket weeks later.
Old 07-20-2012, 06:54 AM   #42
Yellow Pig
Allergic to Asphalt!

Oddometer: 6,819
Morrison Police Chief Rudy Sandoval says ticket revenue jumped for three reasons: more officers, 24-7 patrols, and a hike in ticket prices to match other communities in the metro area.

http://origin.9news.com/dontmiss/250...ap-in-Morrison

Like a town of 430 people needs more cops and patrolling?!
Old 07-20-2012, 07:18 AM   #43
tkent02
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,102
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yellow Pig View Post

Like a town of 430 people needs more cops and patrolling?!
It's not about the number of people in the town. It's about the money in the wallets of everyone passing through. All 430 could be cops and some of the money would still get away.
Yes they need more cops.

And I need to bypass the little shit hole.
tkent02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2012, 07:20 AM   #44
TinkerinWstuff
Take it apart

Oddometer: 1,287
Quote:
Amen to that
TinkerinWstuff is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2012, 07:21 AM   #45
modette
RMAR

Oddometer: 4,009
Quote:
And the bigger ones have just automated the process.

But yet people find a way to think that is about safety.

Getting a ticket a week or month later really did not have you SLOW down any. Chances are you do not slow down anyways. So where and how is that a safety device!!! The reading I have done over the years, it seems most roads do not use the 85th percentile rule when they should. Most people are a pretty good Judge of their speed in terms of how fast to drive on any particular road way.
modette is offline   Reply With Quote