ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > The Rockies It's all downhill from here...
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-20-2012, 08:27 AM   #46
Kenny M.
Tepid Adventurer

Oddometer: 299
Good info on Morrison. We will be flying in to Denver to attend a concert at the Red Rocks on Monday. Yes we're old and James Taylor is one of our favorites.
74 Norton Commando
10 KLX250s
Kenny M. is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2012, 08:41 AM   #47
tkent02
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,991
Quote:
Originally Posted by modette View Post

Getting a ticket a week or month later really did not have you SLOW down any.
Even if it did, is slower really safer?

If everyone goes faster then everyone has to pay attention.

I blame our shitty drivers squarely on 100 years of ludicrous speed limits and law enforcement taking the easy money instead of promoting safe driving practices.
tkent02 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2012, 08:59 AM   #48
modette
RMAR

Oddometer: 3,870
Quote:
Originally Posted by tkent02 View Post
Nope slower is not safer. I don't know how many times the person going 60mph in a 75mph zone here is more dangerous because people are then trying to get around them. Worst is when that person is in the "fast" lane but yet insist on going way below the speed limit. These people NEED pulled over and lectured too and possible given tickets for blocking the flow of traffic.

When I first moved to CO in 2007 I was like great 75 mph speed limits, then I realized its not that special. In MI especially in the Detroit area, typical speed on roads like 75, 275, 96 and what have you is 90mph. Heck cops don't usually blink at 80mph there. A 10mph over ticket is like $100 and 1 point (points are lower on Interstates due to them being safer, 10mph over on a side road is 2 points). Another thing I learned in CO, they love lots of points for simple shit.

So yes I agree slower does not equal safer. I much rather people pay attention. If it was about safety, someone would have revamped the driving ed program, and testing by the DMV to bring better awareness. You never should be able to just walk in because your 18 (whatever the age is) take a test, take a picture and walk out with a license. You SHOULD HAVE to go through a long process that cost a little money making having a license be something special.
modette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2012, 09:01 AM   #49
ikonoklass
Kountersteering Krew

Oddometer: 2,601
The posted speed limit for the first quarter mile up the canyon is 25 MPH. I got stopped doing double the posted a few years ago.

Cop: "We had a Harley rider come down this stretch on his stomach just last week!"

Me: "That was a Harley rider."

At which point he nodded sagely and let me go.

Not bashing, just reporting.
ikonoklass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2012, 09:04 AM   #50
MurphCO
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 360
might have been the same guy that pulled me over, he was making comments about the abilities of the bike being better than the posted limit

maybe he rides too dunno...
Old 07-20-2012, 09:16 AM   #51
ikonoklass
Kountersteering Krew

Oddometer: 2,601
Quote:
Originally Posted by MurphCO View Post
might have been the same guy that pulled me over, he was making comments about the abilities of the bike being better than the posted limit

maybe he rides too dunno...
The problem is, you can easily do 50 there in total safety, and if you go the speed limit, you risk being passed by a cage right at the mouth of the canyon, and right before it narrows to one lane. It's quite bedeviling.
ikonoklass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2012, 09:38 AM   #52
Boulder Ed
Bin Ridin

Oddometer: 765
How to reduce ticket volumes

I have found one simple solution to the problem. I used to be on the 6 points in two years program back out in CA from when I was 18 until about 45 years old. I hoped to save them for my riding and not waste points by getting a ticket in a cage. I have only gotten one in about 5 years now, simply due to slowing down to 3-5 over the limit in most locations and saving the high speed excursions for remote open locations where I still ride the sportbike like she's meant to be ridden. My GSA is a constant reminder of how riding slightly slower can actually be comfortable and will dramatically reduce the worry of cops and radar. Don't get me wrong, I can detect a cop better than just about anyone, from years of riding, but why spend brain calories on it?

Just got back 3 days ago from 8,200 miles up to Yukon and AK and the radar detector broke in Missoula on the way out of the country. I left it behind at a friends, and basically rode 65mph almost the entire way and enjoyed it immensely. Of course I slowed down to the rediculous speeds they request a mile before you actually get to the small towns along the Alcan and Cassier highways.

If we just mello it out a bit, the price to play drops linearly! My .02

"Terrorizing small animals on the road since 1971"
Boulder Ed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2012, 09:53 AM   #53
doc_ricketts
Thumper jockey

Oddometer: 4,486
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenny M. View Post
Good info on Morrison. We will be flying in to Denver to attend a concert at the Red Rocks on Monday. Yes we're old and James Taylor is one of our favorites.
Then you will enjoy Morrison and especially nearby Red Rocks Park after the concert. Enjoy the neat restaurants, the walk along the river, and the generally unspoiled small mountain town. Visit the great natural history museum which has some of the best dinosaur displays in the country and see the actual massive amounts of dinosaur tracks on the east side of the hogback. Talk a walk along the hogback and see eagles flying along beside you and even find your own uncharted dinosaur bones like we have done on our walks. Press the hand of one of the pretty decent cops who maintain the huge crowds that visit the lil town on the weekends and start up a conversation with one of the many Harley riders who park their bikes along the front street. And you may even catch a bunch of ADVers who meet at the gas station as a staging point for rides up Bear Creek Canyon and beyond.
Old 07-20-2012, 11:50 AM   #54
MeterPig
Meh

Oddometer: 16,814
Quote:

If everyone goes faster then everyone has to pay attention.

I blame our shitty drivers squarely on 100 years of ludicrous speed limits and law enforcement taking the easy money instead of promoting safe driving practices.
A couple of interesting points about getting a license in America:
1. Over the age of eighteen, schooling and driving course are not required.
2. The test is given in several languages (in most if not all states) but the signs are all in English.
3. Most people never learn to ride a motorcycle and even those that do, many don't actually take the exam to legally ride a bike. Thus, bikes are really just cars without bumpers to most people.
4. Anyone can purchase and drive a large, overpowered, underbraking, high centered vehicle without being required to understand the limits of the "SUV".
5. Laws are selectively enforced by police departments due to staffing.

I hear it's a lot better than most countries though.
Old 07-20-2012, 12:28 PM   #55
modette
RMAR

Oddometer: 3,870
Quote:
Originally Posted by MeterPig View Post

I hear it's a lot better than most countries though.
Mexico it was - Want to Follow us to the US Embassy? Cop's response "have a nice day".
Pakistan - No enforcement of any kind for speed...LOL heck at traffic lights is as many vehicles you can fit across the roadway to go...no one uses lanes.
Togo - Again no enforcement of traffic laws, but you better stop at night time check points maned by young guys with guns that are drunk. German Ambassador was killed the year I was there. The US cut aid, soldier most likely died for the headache he caused the country.
Russia - Cops out and about, but they did not really do speeding all that much that I saw while there.
Austria - They had speed camera's you just slowed down for the few spots they had them, but cops themselves did not sit and wait for people. Cops tended to be cool I thought.
Dominican Republic - Another 3rd world country where your not bothered for speeding, illegal passing and what have you.

America - We are the land of speeding tickets. Although I hear England is pretty bad too.
MI - Seem easy going really, laws make sense like the one I said where its reduced points for Interstates they realize its not dangerous to go 10-15 or even 20 over and they know this so points reflect it.
OH - They are known for needing to pay on the spot.
IN - cop took my license to make sure I would pay the 5mph over ticket. Cop in a later time there was cool, he let me go with a warning...won't even say what I was doing...ah to be 24 again.
VA - They are hardcore, there are known spots on I-81!!
CO - I find pretty bad in terms of the number of cops, especially the State boys being out in force. It's all a gimmick its why they say PAY NOW for only 2 points vs 4 points...LOL If it was about safety they stick to the 4 points.

Too many small towns and even large cities count on that money to keep the police force operational. It will never change sadly and probably just get worst. Not much you can do, if you try and say to cut Police spending they whine how that will impact safety...which is a cleaver argument on their part. No, it means less police sitting and doing speed traps that would then need to do more important issues.

I never understood why we have:
State
County
City

Should we not just have one police department and hence save some money. I don't think there is any country so messed up in their thinking to have 3 Police agencies. Talk about overlap.
modette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2012, 12:43 PM   #56
MeterPig
Meh

To your point about one police department, in talking with a volunteer firefighter in a small town, he said that most of the time county cops show on calls. Rarely, if ever, does a stater show up. It has to do with the "mission" I hear. State does roads, everybody else does everything else to some degree for the most part.

From my perspective, coming from the city side of Oregon, there is little enforcement here. I see the "hot spots" now and again but not on the level for a small state like Oregon which turned it into a blood sport. Then again, Washington state is far worse especially around Olympia with their very wide highways and very slow limits. Anyone who tells me the state patrol needs more cops should just hang out around the capital. They have a few to spare.

However, Denver does take the cake. Two days ago they posted two cops STANDING on the onramp to I-25 at Broadway NB. You know, the silly stop sign with no traffic on the right to a poorly engineered onramp? Everyone rolls that stop sign and then up the hill they go. The true danger is rolling the stop sign and turning left into oncoming traffic. However, it would take far more work to actually pull people over turning left instead of shooting fish in the barrel turning right and they can just point to the car. Luckily I was third in line and they had pointed to the two who already fell into the trap and I just simply turned left and figured if they wanted me, they could chase me down. Oh wait, they were STANDING on the onramp -so there would be no chasing. Because, you know, the onramp is so safe to stand on-especially that one. Then again, maybe they have taken a page from the bums playbook about begging at on-ramps. Of course, the cops just take the money instead of asking.

I don't remember if I rolled the stop sign. My mind at the time was was saying "WTF, there are idiots standing on the onramp. Oh wait, just some Denver cops.

Anyway, that's my rant. I don't speed much anymore in a car and have generally figured out what I can get away with around here.
Old 07-20-2012, 12:59 PM   #57
tkent02
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,991
Quote:
Originally Posted by MeterPig View Post

I don't remember if I rolled the stop sign. My mind at the time was was saying "WTF, there are idiots standing on the onramp. Oh wait, just some Denver cops.
Your ticket is likely in the mail by now.
tkent02 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2012, 01:01 PM   #58
AteamNM
Wonna Be ADVrider

Oddometer: 2,834
The cops in Morrison if so concerned about people slowing down in their town should have a huge sign on each side of the border declaring; Speed traps are everywhere. We will catch you at 1 mph over the speed limit. Fools wanting to donate to our donut fund please speed in Morrison. Go fast in Morrison, we want your money. Leaving town: thank you for your donation speeders. Brag about it and everyone in the world will know that this little gem town in Colorado has the bragging rights. Then their revenue will drop and they will take the signs down and start hiding again.

Always follow the money.
AteamNM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2012, 01:06 PM   #59
MeterPig
Meh

Quote:
Your ticket is likely in the mail by now.
Maybe.
Old 07-20-2012, 02:36 PM   #60
Yellow Pig
Allergic to Asphalt!

Oddometer: 6,579
I think that the rigid rule of X mph over the limit gets you X $ in fine and X number of points is rediculous and makes no sense:

15 mph over in a 25 mph school zone is way different than 15 mph over on a 75 mph interstate.

It should based on the % over the posted limit you are going. This would make sense to me.