ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > The Rockies It's all downhill from here...
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-24-2012, 10:42 AM   #76
manfromthestix
Lost in Space

Oddometer: 2,113
I lived in Wyoming for 34 years before moving to Virginia, and did a lot of touring throughout the region. I can remember riding at +20 to +40 in most of the rural areas I rode, but knew to always slow down when approaching any town. It seems to be a smart thing to do, no harm in slowing down for a few minutes rather than risking a ticket near a town. Then I got a wake-up call one day on a dirt County road; I'd been to visit my daughter in Avon and was on my way to Kremmling (County Road 1, maybe?) and came across a County Sherrif giving a guy a speeding ticket on a dirt road! WTF has this world come to??

I was glad he'd stopped that truck because I was certainly exceeding the speed limit; wonder what the ticket cost that guy?

If you've never ridden in the East, consider yourself lucky in regards to the density of small towns starved for cash. There's one every few miles out here. We live just off the Blue Ridge Parkway and it's a known fact that every town sitting along the access highways that go up and over the Blue Ridge have overzealous cops waiting in the bushes for unsuspecting tourists. Even the interstates are clogged with ticketing opportunists; County, State, and City cops. The Park Rangers on the BRP are pretty humorless about speeders, too, but if you ride there during the week it's empty and not well patrolled. It's a good thing the roads around here are fun to ride at lower speeds 'cuz they watch them all very carefully.

I'd love to get back out West again and ride some of those wide-open spaces at speed! One of my favorites was Highway 16 over the Big Horn Mountains between Ten Sleep and Buffalo, Wyoming, holy shit fun high speed sweepers and ZERO traffic, much less cops. Another favorite is Sunlight Basin, between Cody and Red Lodge, Montana = ferking awesome! Damn. I'm making myself homesick...

Ride safely, guys, and save your speeding for where it's really fun!

Doug
Old 07-24-2012, 10:54 AM   #77
notarat
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 333
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spike38 View Post
If you have to go thru Morrison Colorado or travel 285 thru Morrison be very aware that this area is heavily paroled with numerous speed traps and or any type of know or made up traffic offenses. If they pull you over they will issue a citation guaranteed. Morrison Police is to Site and Collect Not Serve and Protect. Fines are Morrison's main source of revenue..No speeding ticket here. This is a HEADS UP. Lot of locals W. of Morrison complaining..

Wow. You broke Godwin's Law before the first word of your post. Nice!
notarat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2012, 11:16 AM   #78
thump_co
..ouch

Oddometer: 1,964
Quote:
Originally Posted by doc_ricketts View Post
Gee, and I thought one of the first way to spot bad drivers was to look for speeders and people driving through stop signs, etc.
Sure, because speeding is certainly = bad driving.

AMA | COHVCO | Stay The Trail | BRC | TPA | BCTR | NCTR
thump_co is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2012, 11:52 AM   #79
MeterPig
Meh

Oddometer: 17,090
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blakebird View Post
You're more likely to see one on the section of 8 that connects 285 to Morrison, and MOST likely to see one heading up Bear Creek Canyon - they love to sit at the Red Rocks 2nd exit where the speed limit is low and people like to speed up leaving town.
Didn't see them up or down.
Old 07-24-2012, 11:55 AM   #80
MeterPig
Meh

Quote:
Originally Posted by manfromthestix View Post
I lived in Wyoming for 34 years before moving to Virginia, and did a lot of touring throughout the region. I can remember riding at +20 to +40 in most of the rural areas I rode, but knew to always slow down when approaching any town. It seems to be a smart thing to do, no harm in slowing down for a few minutes rather than risking a ticket near a town. Then I got a wake-up call one day on a dirt County road; I'd been to visit my daughter in Avon and was on my way to Kremmling (County Road 1, maybe?) and came across a County Sherrif giving a guy a speeding ticket on a dirt road! WTF has this world come to??

I was glad he'd stopped that truck because I was certainly exceeding the speed limit; wonder what the ticket cost that guy?

If you've never ridden in the East, consider yourself lucky in regards to the density of small towns starved for cash. There's one every few miles out here. We live just off the Blue Ridge Parkway and it's a known fact that every town sitting along the access highways that go up and over the Blue Ridge have overzealous cops waiting in the bushes for unsuspecting tourists. Even the interstates are clogged with ticketing opportunists; County, State, and City cops. The Park Rangers on the BRP are pretty humorless about speeders, too, but if you ride there during the week it's empty and not well patrolled. It's a good thing the roads around here are fun to ride at lower speeds 'cuz they watch them all very carefully.

I'd love to get back out West again and ride some of those wide-open spaces at speed! One of my favorites was Highway 16 over the Big Horn Mountains between Ten Sleep and Buffalo, Wyoming, holy shit fun high speed sweepers and ZERO traffic, much less cops. Another favorite is Sunlight Basin, between Cody and Red Lodge, Montana = ferking awesome! Damn. I'm making myself homesick...

Ride safely, guys, and save your speeding for where it's really fun!

Doug
That's a fairly wide and flat dirt road. I would expect it to be patrolled.
Old 07-24-2012, 01:24 PM   #81
doc_ricketts
Thumper jockey

Oddometer: 4,668
My only highway ticket in Colorado came on US40 just before you cross into Utah. There had been road work and the double yellow line had been mudded out completely. So a dump truck carrying dirt was going about 20 and I passed him doing about 45, and you can guess the rest. A hwy patrolman was waiting near the border and spotted me and I got a ticket. Now about Morrison and other small towns.....SLOW DOWN AND BE SAFE FOR ALL CONCERNED!!!
Old 07-24-2012, 01:56 PM   #82
modette
RMAR

Oddometer: 4,069
Quote:
Originally Posted by manfromthestix View Post

Doug
BRP though has the most ridiculous speed limit. Isn't it like 25mph in a lot of spots. A few straights if I recall are 55mph. Yep I remember blasting through it at 90mph and felt very safe on my FZ1. Ever ridden in PA, back roads where it be 55mph in other states its 35mph...the guy I was said it was due to the Amish...don't want to hit a horse drawn carriage now. Yes your right East Coast is pretty f'ing bad when it comes to slow speed limits.
modette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2012, 02:04 PM   #83
MeterPig
Meh

Wait until they pull over a few legislators and next thing you know only staters and county cops will be able to patrol the interstate or state highways.
Old 07-25-2012, 09:19 AM   #84
Kenny M.
Tepid Adventurer

Oddometer: 307
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrBob View Post
They park on the sidestreet, just to the left as you come into town from the canyon. You don't see the sheriff until you're right on top of him. Mostly weekends and especially during the tourist high season. I think it pays well for them.

Just returned from a concert at Red Rocks. What a great venue. Passed through Morrison about five times over two days. Sheriff was there every time. Thanks for the suggestions on the area. Had a great time. I'm always looking for great places to retire. Loved Evergreen.
74 Norton Commando
10 KLX250s
Kenny M. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2012, 09:47 AM   #85
HellSickle
Scone Rider

Oddometer: 8,634
Quote:
Originally Posted by MeterPig View Post
Wait until they pull over a few legislators and next thing you know only staters and county cops will be able to patrol the interstate or state highways.
I see a turf war brewing....

HellSickle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2012, 02:40 PM   #86
manfromthestix
Lost in Space

Oddometer: 2,113
Quote:
Originally Posted by modette View Post
BRP though has the most ridiculous speed limit. Isn't it like 25mph in a lot of spots. A few straights if I recall are 55mph. Yep I remember blasting through it at 90mph and felt very safe on my FZ1. Ever ridden in PA, back roads where it be 55mph in other states its 35mph...the guy I was said it was due to the Amish...don't want to hit a horse drawn carriage now. Yes your right East Coast is pretty f'ing bad when it comes to slow speed limits.

Overall the speed limit on the BRP is 45 mph, just like most National Parks, but there are many areas where the curves are tighter and they're signed accordingly. The BRP is over 500 miles long and to my knowledge doesn't have a single stop sign in all that distance except at the beginning and end; all other intersections are on/off-ramps, pull-outs, and over-passes. There are also no driveways, mailboxes, shopping malls, gas stations, etc. to worry about. Glorious riding! Typically if a road out here is posted 25 or below you'd better take heed because it will be a very sharp turn and THERE ARE NO SHOULDERS on the roads, so no "cushion" if you don't get it right. Most of the back roads aren't even signed except close to towns; I've blown past my neighbor the Deputy Sherrif at 90+ on the one straight section of road between home and town (me headed one way, him the other) and we just wave at each other .

I used to ride in Yellowstone and Grand Teton a lot too, and the speed limit was the same 45 mph there. YNP and GTNP are patrolled very heavily during the height of the tour-on season and the rangers are TOTALLY humorless, but early and late season it's pretty wide open. My favorite time in YNP is late September - early October. They've recently resurfaced all the roads in the park and they are AWESOME, especially the passes when not clogged with motorhomes and lost souls, just watch for bears, elk, moose, deer, buffalo, wolves, coyotes, mountain lions, etc. Man, I miss that.

Sorry, I digress!

Doug
Old 07-25-2012, 04:14 PM   #87
MeterPig
Meh

Brp?
Old 07-25-2012, 04:35 PM   #88
TNC
Candyass Camper

Oddometer: 4,501
Alright Hellsickle...what's up in that pic? The background looks suspiciously like your toy hauler if I remember correctly. I ate ice cream in that kitchen recently. What did you do now to bring down the wrath of The Man? Riding on non-DOT tires again?
TNC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2012, 05:06 PM   #89
doc_ricketts
Thumper jockey

Oddometer: 4,668
Quote:
Originally Posted by MeterPig View Post
Brp?
Blue Ridge Parkway, a glorious place to ride. I have done it and other ridge tops in the region and even done part of Tail of the Dragon, but my favorite just off the BRP is the road that circles Linville Gorge.
Old 07-26-2012, 01:08 PM   #90
HellSickle
Scone Rider

Oddometer: 8,634
Quote:
Originally Posted by TNC View Post
Alright Hellsickle...what's up in that pic? The background looks suspiciously like your toy hauler if I remember correctly. I ate ice cream in that kitchen recently. What did you do now to bring down the wrath of The Man? Riding on non-DOT tires again?
Given your background, I'm shocked that you don't have this in your video collection.

Supertroopers.

Turf war between the local city cops & staties.

HellSickle is offline   Reply With Quote