ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > The Rockies It's all downhill from here...
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-26-2012, 03:01 PM   #91
JustinP
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,527
I think the fact that with Morrison tickets, if you send it in within 2 weeks with payment, it's automatically reduced, speaks clearly to the fact it's about generating revenue and not safety. Last time I got popped on 285 in Morrison, right after getting my ticket and a lecture about safety, the officers promptly pulls out, leaving me in the dark on a narrow strip of shoulder putting on my helmet to go after his next victim. Safety my ass.
Old 07-26-2012, 04:26 PM   #92
doc_ricketts
Thumper jockey

Oddometer: 5,127
Quote:
Originally Posted by JustinP View Post
I think the fact that with Morrison tickets, if you send it in within 2 weeks with payment, it's automatically reduced, speaks clearly to the fact it's about generating revenue and not safety. Last time I got popped on 285 in Morrison, right after getting my ticket and a lecture about safety, the officers promptly pulls out, leaving me in the dark on a narrow strip of shoulder putting on my helmet to go after his next victim. Safety my ass.
Boo hoo. So sorry you were inconvenienced. Grow UP!!
Old 07-26-2012, 04:31 PM   #93
JustinP
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by doc_ricketts View Post
Boo hoo. So sorry you were inconvenienced. Grow UP!!
*Yawn*
Old 07-26-2012, 04:45 PM   #94
doc_ricketts
Thumper jockey

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustinP View Post
*Yawn*
Ride a Busa, eh. Are you a flatbiller too? Heres a good avatar for you
Old 07-26-2012, 05:02 PM   #95
JustinP
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Word yo' - I gotz my spinnin' rims and extended swingarm too, bro!
Old 07-26-2012, 05:31 PM   #96
HellSickle
Scone Rider

Oddometer: 9,087
Quote:

HellSickle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2012, 05:41 PM   #97
shu

Oddometer: 990
my wife says I should get over it already......

I've read all this and agree with everyone.

1. Yes, you're kind of an ass if you speed through people's towns and neighborhoods.

2. Yes, if you're caught speeding (I'm often 5-10 over) you should pay the ticket/negotiate it and forget about it.

3. Yes: Morrison is correctly known as a speed trap and they have extended the boundaries of town 2-3 miles south so that it includes US 285. This is nowhere near the town, and there are no houses along the highway where they put their boundaries.

I live about ten miles west of 'town' up 285 and often go through there a few times each day. They very often have a speed trap set up about 200 yards around the second or third corner (going south, up the canyon). At this point, the speed limit on the road has gone from 65 mph to 50 mph at the bridge, to 45 mph at that corner- but the character of the road has changed very little. It's a perfect set up for a trap: most people are still just cruising along at 50- 55 mph when they come around the corner and get clocked.

It's an easy grab for the town cops, like shooting fish in a barrel, mostly because people are doing what they percieve as a safe and reasonable speed at that point.

To me it is clearly a revenue maker for the town. I ride/drive that stretch of road all year long, and have done so for 20 years. In that time I have only once or twice seen the Morrison cops 'serving and protecting'. Where are they when the road is icy and people are stuck and sliding around? Where are they when someone crashes in the canyon? Where are they when someone hits a deer? You see the CSP respond, you see Jeffco sheriffs respond, but you rarely see Morrison cops there when you need them.

I don't have a problem with the speed traps in town itself where there are people wandering around. But Morrison takes this revenue collection to a whole new level. I generally respect and appreciate law enforcement officers, but the town of Morrison and their cops? Nope.

Just my humble opinion.
..........shu
shu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2012, 06:00 PM   #98
thump_co
..ouch

Oddometer: 2,061
Quote:
Originally Posted by shu View Post
Just my humble opinion. ..........shu
Very well stated.. but entirely lacking in sarcastic humour or sniping at other inmates. Please refrain from such reasonable comments. They are a threat to the ecosystem of the internets.

Nothing to see here folks. Move along please.

AMA | COHVCO | Stay The Trail | BRC | TPA | BCTR | NCTR
thump_co is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2012, 06:45 PM   #99
JustinP
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:

I don't have a problem with the speed traps in town itself where there are people wandering around. But Morrison takes this revenue collection to a whole new level. I generally respect and appreciate law enforcement officers, but the town of Morrison and their cops? Nope.

Just my humble opinion.
..........shu
Agreed. I do not speed in towns. 285 is not a "town", it's a tax collection area. I go through the actual "town" of Morrison all the time, and ride slowly; as I do in any area where a motor vehicle poses a safety risk to residents. Like someone way back in this thread mentioned - just look at the places they annexed over the last few decades.
Old 07-26-2012, 06:55 PM   #100
modette
RMAR

Oddometer: 4,329
Quote:
Originally Posted by HellSickle View Post
I really wish people would stop using my picture like that.
modette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2012, 07:03 PM   #101
modette
RMAR

Oddometer: 4,329
Quote:
Blue Ridge Parkway, a glorious place to ride. I have done it and other ridge tops in the region and even done part of Tail of the Dragon, but my favorite just off the BRP is the road that circles Linville Gorge.
Yep Tail of the Dragon been there twice in my car and twice on my street bike. All times during the middle of the week and the time sin my cage was to go to my Grandparents place over in Mineral Bluff, GA...nice area by the way. I never had an issue with a cop, but never saw the big deal int hat road, I have ridden curvier elsewhere int he country that does not have a huge following. Although scraping pegs and blasting through is fun, even fun in a cage hauling butt. I guess that was the closes time I was pulled over was in the cage....LOL Cop going other way slammed on his brakes and I just downshifted and went and in the 100 feet was in NC and slowed down.

Ah the good old days of the East Coast.
modette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2012, 07:06 PM   #102
Blakebird
r-u-n-n-o-f-t

Oddometer: 15,665
Quote:

Justin's good people, doc....we've been riding buddies for years, just haven't seen much of each other the last few. He rides a 'busa, but it's set up for distance running, not strafing school zones.

Watching him ride his hack is pretty entertaining....he's just getting his toes wet there.
IBA #11735 . 1968-present
Blakebird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2012, 07:16 PM   #103
doc_ricketts
Thumper jockey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blakebird View Post

Justin's good people, doc....we've been riding buddies for years, just haven't seen much of each other the last few. He rides a 'busa, but it's set up for distance running, not strafing school zones.

Watching him ride his hack is pretty entertaining....he's just getting his toes wet there.
Well, I figured he was not really a flatbiller if he had a hack. I guess I just get peeved about people calling the Morrison police nazis. There are plenty of nut cases and bad drivers for the Morrison police to warch out for. I have been there when pretty wild groups buzzed through town and at the other end of the scale when large groups of Deadheads and others were camped in every nook and cranny around the area.
Old 07-26-2012, 07:57 PM   #104
JustinP
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blakebird View Post

Hey now - I'm getting better

The first few rides without ballast after returning with a full chair were interesting. I since added some sand bags, and I am now only as slow as a turtle, instead of a snail.
Old 07-30-2012, 06:01 PM   #105
Spike38 OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 43
X2

Quote:
I've read all this and agree with everyone.

1. Yes, you're kind of an ass if you speed through people's towns and neighborhoods.

2. Yes, if you're caught speeding (I'm often 5-10 over) you should pay the ticket/negotiate it and forget about it.

3. Yes: Morrison is correctly known as a speed trap and they have extended the boundaries of town 2-3 miles south so that it includes US 285. This is nowhere near the town, and there are no houses along the highway where they put their boundaries.

I live about ten miles west of 'town' up 285 and often go through there a few times each day. They very often have a speed trap set up about 200 yards around the second or third corner (going south, up the canyon). At this point, the speed limit on the road has gone from 65 mph to 50 mph at the bridge, to 45 mph at that corner- but the character of the road has changed very little. It's a perfect set up for a trap: most people are still just cruising along at 50- 55 mph when they come around the corner and get clocked.

It's an easy grab for the town cops, like shooting fish in a barrel, mostly because people are doing what they percieve as a safe and reasonable speed at that point.

To me it is clearly a revenue maker for the town. I ride/drive that stretch of road all year long, and have done so for 20 years. In that time I have only once or twice seen the Morrison cops 'serving and protecting'. Where are they when the road is icy and people are stuck and sliding around? Where are they when someone crashes in the canyon? Where are they when someone hits a deer? You see the CSP respond, you see Jeffco sheriffs respond, but you rarely see Morrison cops there when you need them.

Just my humble opinion.
..........shu
They are just money TROLLS

Spike38 screwed with this post 11-22-2012 at 02:52 AM Reason: spelling
Spike38 is offline   Reply With Quote