Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Ride reports
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-18-2012, 09:18 AM   #151
ben2go
Moto Flunky

Oddometer: 2,995
To bad about the tire.Having a flat like that and stranded is to much excitement for me.Happy to hear that you two were taken care of.Our tv news has everyone scared to visit Mexico, because of the drug wars that are supposedly raging in that area.Really great photo documentation of your adventure.I really enjoy the updates.
ben2go is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2012, 09:35 AM   #152
Paddygfw
Adventurer

Oddometer: 75
WOW!!!!!! looking forward to the next report
Safe and happy trip
Paddygfw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2012, 10:41 AM   #153
bisbonian
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 967
Way to go!

So far your experience with the people of Mexico pretty much mirror mine. While we are all led to believe that Mexico is full of criminals and killers the truth is that the vast majority are friendly and eager to help.

Flat tires happen, but you fixed the problem and continued on.

bisbonian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2012, 12:49 PM   #154
MarGyver
Ruteros De Chiapas

Oddometer: 38
Laugh Chiapas

Hello gays from Chiapas Mexico anything you need please let me know I am in Tuxtla Gtz
Old 10-18-2012, 07:59 PM   #155
AnjinSan OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 232
Guys, thank you for all the encouragements. Sorting through pictures and writing is sometimes tedious work (especially after coming from the beach for example :) ) but then you make it all worth it.

And I was thinking at something else. As it appears that I will not be able to recuperate the delay any time soon and the RR will be at least 2 weeks behind us for a while, maybe it might be a good idea to post from time to time here a picture and an update regarding where we are and what we are up to.
And if you have any suggestions about the next part of the trip, they would be more than welcomed
So here it goes, first picture outside the story is a very relaxed one ,taken 2 hours ago from the beach of Puerto Angel, Mexico.

Hope you are having a cold cervesa, wherever you are ! Buenas noches!
Old 10-18-2012, 08:23 PM   #156
Turkeycreek
Gringo Viejo

Oddometer: 824
Que Bueno!
Turkeycreek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2012, 09:17 PM   #157
eakins
Butler Maps

Oddometer: 17,211
you're in mexico, sweet! now the interesting part begins.
all i can say is don't miss sayulita and guanajuato.
i lived in both for a year and they are equally awesome.
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=598717
Cycle World Adventure Rally:
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=956350
eakins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2012, 08:34 PM   #158
AnjinSan OP
Gnarly Adventurer

The New World III.3 Barranca del Cobre

Hi guys! Sorry for the late update. The chain is getting old on us and we spent the last days trying to find the best solution to replace it soon. With a lot of help from Richard in Guatemala and Blair in the U.S. the problem should be solved in a few days. Now we are hopping to be able to reach Guatemala City with no problems.

The report is (of course) still very much behind but here goes the next episode. One with spectacular views :)

-----------------

Barranca del Cobre: 6-8 of September

80 kilometers. That’s all we had to go to get to Creel the day before when we had the flat tire. We managed to ride with my patch work for 50 km to San Juanito. Now that the tire was patched “professionally” on the inside we were at the crossroads and didn’t know which way to go from here. 1. We go 200 km NE to Chihuahua where we called but couldn’t manage to get the tire we need. 2. We continue our planned route with the patched tire and reach Durango at one point, also a big city, 500 km South from here.
We choose the second option. If the patch would last 200 km, it would last also 500 and going South we had more chances to find a new tire. And this way we get also to see Barranca del Cobre. We look once more at the sky and the clouds. The snickers were quietly watching us. We did the right thing.
So we leave San Juanito and…. 30 kilometres later we are in Creel.
Creel is a “Pueblo Magico” which means that it has been selected by the Mexican government to promote traditional values and tourism.

There are a lot of Indians in the village.

And the stores are ready to offer their customers the latest in fashion.

But as you get away from the 2 or 3 “main” streets you find the other side of the place: dust, trash and people who love to party…. no matter where.

There is a mix of old and new, of Mexicans and Indians, of “almost clean” and “not so clean”, narrow streets, shops with everything you can think of, everything is colored.

We are looking for a place to stay, trying to find our way through all this. But first we find a…. Canadian named Blake. He is on his way to Argentina also. Also by motorcycle, a Kawasaki KLR650. And he just got to Creel and was looking for a place to stay. We join forces to find the cheapest place. Blake is negotiating with the owner of a “villa” trying to find a safe place for our motorcycles. We want to congratulate him for his Spanish when he confesses he was born in Guatemala and Spanish is his main language. That explains it!

We park our bikes under some arches and we go together to explore the village.

We see the statue of Christ up on a hill, silently watching over the community and decide to get closer.

We are looking at Him in complete silence. A year ago all this wasn’t even a thought. Now we are here watching the white clouds waltzing their way. I sometimes think that it’s a wonder that we are here. I wonder what will be next?
Blake turns his gaze towards the village.

This guy likes to climb. He did it before on really tall structures. He is a very nice guy and we get along well. We decide to go see the canyon together tomorrow. The short ride without luggage to the park’s entrance is most enjoyable. Blake is also having fun.

We get to the entrance and we are surprised to see that there is no one there, no other tourists, just us. A small pay booth and a guard giving us the entrance ticket that is around 2 dollars. It’s ironic but we think it’s a lot. It’s not fair to think this way, we remembered how much was the entrance at the Grand Canyon.

As compared to US where the attraction points are well highlighted here there are very few signs. And the map is only drawn on a wall. That’s all.

As we were enjoying the views we passed by the road that was supposed to take us to the view point. We turn around and we are amazed. The Grand Canyon is… small!

Grand Canyon might be more imposing because it’s red and there is no vegetation. But standing on the rim of the Copper Canyon…. everything else seems insignificant.
Probably in US there would have been many fences preventing you to get on the cliff. Here it was just a sign…..
You pass at your own risk and there is nobody stopping you.
There is even a cable cart taking you to an edge of the canyon. Blake’s Spanish proves helpful again as he negotiates a free ride with the owner of the cable cart.
We can see the houses of Tarahumara Indians hanging from the cliffs. se vad casele indienilur tarahumara, agatate de stanci.
We get on the edge and admire the views. Some army guys are enjoying the views also. We realized that we got used to seeing army men in different places in Mexico. They went with the same cable cart as we did but I didn’t even noticed them.
We are somehow in the heart of the canyon surrounded by steep edges.
An Indian young woman sells hand made baskets in a “corner”.
I ask permission to take a photo and surprisingly she agrees.
This picture demonstrates that there are people meant to be in certain places. Or places meant for certain people.
We will find our place someday. Or the place will find us. Until then, the road is ours!
The route map for this post: (starting with this post, I will use embeded google maps for the post's map. In this way the zoom in zoom out functionality will be available. Seems that the code does not go directly in here but you can see the map on our website)

View Larger Map
Next time we venture in our first large city in Mexico. Then we ride to the ocean on a very dangerous road . Stay tuned!
Old 10-23-2012, 09:05 PM   #159
ben2go
Moto Flunky

I am blown away by this update.there is way more in Mexico than I ever thought.It's hard to wrap one's mind around it all when I've never been more than 700 miles away from home.I hope my current adventure leads to the chance to explore the world as you two are.Maybe,I visit Romania someday.
Old 10-23-2012, 09:08 PM   #160
bisbonian
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 967
Quote:
Originally Posted by ben2go View Post
I am blown away by this update.there is way more in Mexico than I ever thought.It's hard to wrap one's mind around it all when I've never been more than 700 miles away from home.I hope my current adventure leads to the chance to explore the world as you two are.Maybe,I visit Romania someday.
Don't be scared, come South.

The tacos are way better South of the border.

bisbonian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2012, 08:47 AM   #161
ben2go
Moto Flunky

Quote:
Originally Posted by bisbonian View Post
Don't be scared, come South.

The tacos are way better South of the border.
Ain't skerd.I'm broke and broken.Got save up some change and wait for the doc to clear me for a long ride,and then the world is my urinal.Wait,,,,,,that ain't right.My oyster,that's it.
Old 10-24-2012, 08:53 AM   #162
Turkeycreek
Gringo Viejo

We'll be here when you are ready. Let us know and the beer will be cold and waiting
Old 10-24-2012, 08:56 AM   #163
ben2go
Moto Flunky

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turkeycreek View Post
We'll be here when you are ready. Let us know and the beer will be cold and waiting

Sounds good.
Old 10-24-2012, 01:30 PM   #164
AnjinSan OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Ahaha, we are in Guatemala now and we could use some good oysters :)
Old 10-24-2012, 01:32 PM   #165
Turkeycreek
Gringo Viejo

Muy bien!