Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Ride reports
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-14-2013, 10:20 PM   #421
Dracula
Deus ex machina

Oddometer: 596
Nice update, love the little cute cat picture, I have a weakness for them.
Once more you manage to find the proverbial needle in the haystack meeting the nicest person in town at just the right time.
I wouldn't wait for a shop to change my oil, biggest challenge would be finding a drain pan and dumping the old oil.
Oil change is simple on a GS 1200, and if needed it takes just about any 20W50'ish car oil - since there is no wet clutch to worry about, until this year new water cooled model which would require wet clutch friendly specific oils just like the Vstrom.

Best,
Vic
Old 03-15-2013, 06:10 AM   #422
AnjinSan OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 232
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dracula View Post
Nice update, love the little cute cat picture, I have a weakness for them.
Once more you manage to find the proverbial needle in the haystack meeting the nicest person in town at just the right time.
I wouldn't wait for a shop to change my oil, biggest challenge would be finding a drain pan and dumping the old oil.
Oil change is simple on a GS 1200, and if needed it takes just about any 20W50'ish car oil - since there is no wet clutch to worry about, until this year new water cooled model which would require wet clutch friendly specific oils just like the Vstrom.

Best,
Vic
To be honest Vic, in that moment I was so happy as well that I am able to change my own oil. Like you've said, just need a pan or an oil bucket for the old one. But indeed other people, even long travelers do relay on service, even for changing their oil. They are more... "vulnerable" lets say so yet another reason to be nice to them and help if possible. Anyway, I am sure they were alright somewhere down to road as there are a lot of nice people around that area. On our return to Rio Gallegos, we met another super nice guy, Manolito, who really tries to help passing by riders with anything he can. So let's be optimistic about the kindness of the world. Hmmm :)
Old 03-17-2013, 09:28 AM   #423
AnjinSan OP
Gnarly Adventurer

The New World IV.21 – Per aspera ad astra

By: AlexMD On March 17, 2013 in Blog, Part IV, The New World

I woke up early. It’s 4th of February, my birthday is gone so no reason to be lazy. After the “fun in the wind” we had yesterday, we are determine to beat it to the start and be long gone before noon. Ushuaia is not that far anyway, just 200 kilometers to go.
And indeed, with a calm weather and sunny sky, the miles are rolling fast and fun. Not long and we see again, after so many days, trees. Well, not just 1 or two but actually a forest in its own rights. And by then the wind is losing even the little power that it had, dissipating between the branches.
The first trees had a weird shape and weird mossy leaves. But then things get more familiar.
And we see again montains as well. The air gets colder and colder. We are close to our last mountain pass before Ushuaia: The Garibaldi Pass.
In the morning light, the mountain peaks are shining with snow. But gladly, the raod is dry and clean. It is a pleasure to drive and yeah we are close!
In the aftermath of yesterday’s “fun” we’ve noticed that one of the screws that was helding the windshield support was gone. So we had to improvise in order to keep to secure it. I shall hear nothing about the red bow tie
Not to esthetic but who cares, as long as it does it’s job. And we have little time to ponder about that as after a few more twists in the road we get a glimpse of Ushuaia. We are here!
I am more of a quiet type and very very rarely I get enthusiastic in a noisy way. This time though, I admit, there might have been some “happy cheering” in my helmet! Good thing there was no one there to hear. Except Andreea, but she was very happy as well.

We do a tour of the town. Very nice ,tidy and clean town. We like it. In the port, we see a big cruising ship, just arriving.
We find a good place to eat, side by side with some local workers (but the food was excellent) then we decide to look for the camping. Yeah it is rather cold and yes we have arrived at one of our “destinations” but we feel like our trip is far from being over. So we need to keep an eye on budget. Besides, the camping has a killer view of the hole city. Let’s pitch the tent.

The next day we wake up early as well. Taking my nose out of the tent I feel the very low temperature. On the mountains all around there is fresh snow. And it is summer here! Uhuu!
We would like very much to hide back in the warmth of our sleeping bags but today we want to travel the last 30 kilometers to the South-West, in the National Park to the end of the road, in Lapataia.
Mathias, the German rider that we’ve met on the ferry from Punta Arenas, is joining us on this last part. Many times I thought my VStrom is too heavy but seeing the masive Super Tenere… I get more happy with our total weight (riders+bike). In all honesty I would want only one thing from that bike: the cardan transmision Hmm I wonder if Suzuki will ever make a 650 v-twin with cardan transmission
The road is without tarmac but in very good conditions. We can have fun and also admire the surroundings.
We reach the parking lot and since there is nobody we can slip through the wood pillars, taking our bikes closer.
That’s it! You cannot go further. At least… not without taking a boat to one of the islands that are to the South. Beyond those islands there is the Drake Passage and the South Pole in Antarctica.
Because it was very early, everything is as it should be. No noises, no tourist crowds, no buses, no guides. Nobody around but us. So, with your music in the mp3 player, with the sun rising from beyond the bay, we get close to the sign saying it is “el fin”.
I turn the ignition off and the last sounds of the pistons fade away. Silence. The wooden sign reminds us who far we are from Alaska. Strange, it feels even further away.
We walk around, enjoying this moment. It is perfect!

On that morning of February 5th, 2013, tow people from a far corner of Central Europe, made their dream true. They rode their motorcycle, from Alaska all the way to the Land of Fire.

With these words, the forth part of our story comes to an end. Though our journey was far from being over, we felt we’ve reached an important turning point. I am writing this post more than one month later and just one day before our flight back to Europe. With talent or (rather) without, with interesting photos or maybe just with instant pictures taken on the side of the road, we tried the best we could to share with all of you, the places, people and sensations we’ve meet during this wonderful journey. We salute you, from the end of the World. All is good here!

After that day, we took a long break, without motorcycle, phone, internet and getting far away from “civilization”. A fantastic period during which we felt like in a story book.
Then the return North started, having us heading to Buenos Aires, Paraguay, Iguazu Falls, South of Brazil and Uruguay. But all of these in a chapter that will probably be written from Europe.
Old 03-17-2013, 10:18 AM   #424
joenuclear
Planning.....

Oddometer: 6,108
Congratulations! Thanks for taking us along.
joenuclear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2013, 12:11 PM   #425
Turkeycreek
Gringo Viejo

Oddometer: 859
Bravisimo!

I will wait to read about you triumphal return to your home.

ps - I sent you a pm
Turkeycreek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2013, 05:01 PM   #426
AnjinSan OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Thank you guys!

We are enjoying our last evening in South America with a nice Brazilian family (well half of the family is American :P) and is kind of hard to admit it is getting close to finish line. Luckily with the stories...we are still in Ushuaia and we have some more to tell. I think we will have fun writing them, once we get home.
Old 03-17-2013, 05:26 PM   #427
Dracula
Deus ex machina

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnjinSan View Post
With these words, the forth part of our story comes to an end. Though our journey was far from being over, we felt we’ve reached an important turning point. I am writing this post more than one month later and just one day before our flight back to Europe. With talent or (rather) without, with interesting photos or maybe just with instant pictures taken on the side of the road, we tried the best we could to share with all of you, the places, people and sensations we’ve meet during this wonderful journey. We salute you, from the end of the World. All is good here!
[/I]
Dear Alex,

I personally am amazed with both of you's resolve to do this journey and I fully understand what it meant to you. I think it was great for your souls as you will never be the same again - you will see the world differently, in a better, more understanding way. There are no words to thank you for so generously working to share it and making me proud to be Romanian, even if I no longer live in Bucharest.

I hope you will continue to post thoughts and updates with this trip impressions and others that am sure you will likely take in the future.

Godspeed my friends,
Vic
Old 03-18-2013, 05:42 AM   #428
chris93372
Adventurer

Oddometer: 50
Congratulations!!

Congratulations on reaching your goal. I have been following your RR, and have appreciated the opportunity to see the New World through your eyes.

Looking forward to your continued adventures!!

-chris
chris93372 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2013, 09:48 AM   #429
SS in Vzla.
Totally Normal? I'm not!

Oddometer: 1,157
Congratulations... and thanks for keeping up with the updates, I know how hard can be too keep posting while on the road and you've done a great job. I've thoroughly enjoyed each post.
Looking forward to the closing chapters of your journey.
Good luck with your future plans !
Old 03-18-2013, 04:21 PM   #430
Sunday Rider
Adventurer Wanabe

Oddometer: 674
It is "we" that salute you for sharing your wonderful journey with us. Your refreshing point of view, fantastic pictures and perseverance to motor on when things got tough. The wonderful encounters with the folks you met along the way like at Christmas Eve.

Thanks so much.
Old 03-18-2013, 06:57 PM   #431
vtwin
Air cooled runnin' mon

Oddometer: 7,051
Well done!

"You only have too much fuel if you're on fire"
unknown
vtwin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2013, 07:09 PM   #432
jbcaddy
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,191
well, you may not read this untill you are home, but I have really enjoyed your ride report and will be reading along when you post the final pages of your adventure from the "comfort" of home
jbcaddy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2013, 02:52 AM   #433
AnjinSan OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Guys, thank you for the wonderful thoughts! You amaze us all the time with your kind words. In the last 2 days we had... hmm let's just say we had some interesting rides. I will resume the posting with stories starting next week when we will hopefully safe and sound home, with the motorcycle parked and OK.

Until then, I would like to share just a picture, which for us meant a lot.

Yesterday, before the sunset, we came on a narrow country road in front of a small sign. It was bitterly cold and we were half frozen. But we stopped. On the sign nothing fancy. It said: "Cenad" (the boarder town) and an old painted flag, with time marks on it. We are home. We are in Romania. At least for a while, we are not cold anymore.

Old 03-21-2013, 05:34 AM   #434
Dracula
Deus ex machina

Fantastic What a journey!
Old 03-21-2013, 12:03 PM   #435
Merlin III
Mean SOB

Oddometer: 1,147
Thanks guys for the great report. Nice photographs and great narratives.
"I have approximate answers and possible beliefs and different degrees of certainty about different things, but I am not absolutely sure about anything." Richard Feynman, CalTech Scientist, Challenger Disaster Committee member.
Merlin III is offline   Reply With Quote