Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-25-2014, 03:05 AM   #76
Miikka OP
Sir Fallalot

Oddometer: 126
Chapter III: Russian dessert

Day 21, June 21st.
N55 10.343 E75 54.918 - N56 57.288 E63 13.991 (gostinitza)

On the road? Seriously..?

My son Lukas turned 5 years old on June 21st so while prepping breakfast we sang happy birthday to Lukas, 4000km’s away from home..

Back on the road at 8am and we were running on fumes. Normally we tried to fuel up before camping to
make mornings less hectic but not this time. Found a gas station 40km away not a moment too soon
according to our calculations.
(we had emptied our rotopax reserve fuel after exiting Mongolia to reduce dead weight)

Once you're off the Trans Siberian highway you'll get plenty of this.

This guy had a spanking shiny homemade setup!

First things first

Passed Omsk swiftly via southern “ring road” and had lunch at noon. From Omsk to Ishim we were
back on the same stretch of road as on day 5 riding the other direction.

Police was everywhere but we were on top of our game and had no problems avoiding speed traps.
Temperature rose up to +33C…feeling chilly and miserable (on The Shortcut) was just a distant memory.

We made good progress and started scouting for a place to stay after riding thru almost 3 tanks of fuel.
First time on this trip we were “rejected” by a gostinitza. We think it was full but no way of saying
what really went down. Second attempt was a success and we found a good place with the opportunity
to vent and dry our gear once again.

Camping gear gets a well deserved breather

..and guys get a well deserved dinner!

As soon as Jani got better from stomach bug...he got another bug (bite)!

testing, testing..

929km, Total 11910km.

Ritsikirja notes:

- Lukas 5 is years old!
- Busy day avoiding Police
- Sena intercom Gorilla tape fix did not work out. Jani needs to hold the unit with left hand in order to hear anything.
- NO damage today. No rain today. Longest distance per day so far on the trip.
Miikka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2014, 11:04 AM   #77
Woland
Wannabe adventurer

Oddometer: 222
Quote:
Originally Posted by Miikka View Post
Dementia is a bliss...all I can remember is Finland beat USA 5-0!
That's the spirit :)
Woland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2014, 04:06 PM   #78
steal6
Death have Mercy

Oddometer: 36
A fantastic trip guys! This is exactly my idea of adventure. Camp and cook when you can. Enjoy the stars and small fires to warm the soul. Treat yourself to a meal a shower and a dry spot from time to time. But most of all don't deny yourself a shortcut. That's when the adrenaline flows and the memories are made. Bravo
steal6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2014, 05:06 PM   #79
BcDano
One Lucky Dude

Oddometer: 307
Very nice ride guys.
BcDano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2014, 11:32 AM   #80
BT-GR
BT

Oddometer: 5
Bravo guys, excellent trip!
Thank you.
BT-GR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2014, 02:05 AM   #81
Miikka OP
Sir Fallalot

Spot on!

Quote:
Originally Posted by steal6 View Post
A fantastic trip guys! This is exactly my idea of adventure. Camp and cook when you can. Enjoy the stars and small fires to warm the soul. Treat yourself to a meal a shower and a dry spot from time to time. But most of all don't deny yourself a shortcut. That's when the adrenaline flows and the memories are made. Bravo
Old 02-27-2014, 04:26 AM   #82
Miikka OP
Sir Fallalot

Day 22, June 22nd.
N56 57.288 E63 13.991 - N58 47.709 E52 53.260 (gostinitza)

Midsummers eve!
Dep 8:30 after another good breakfast. And after feeling so good about breakfast I made a simple mistake
of leaving my Camelbak on top of my "top box" when hitting the road. Few km’s down the road I got this
funny feeling like something’s missing..? The bloody thing had been on my back for 21 days in a row and
yet I was able to forget it that morning!
Turned back and soon found it gutted on the road. Russian Kamaz had turned it into a roadkill.

Weather was hot and moist, felt like rain would appear and greet us soon. Tons of traffic! (again)
Overtaking with my slightly crippled bike wasn’t as straightforward as normally and thus the traffic slowed
us down a bit more than normally. Took us 9h to ride the first 500km of the day.

We ran out of local currency and had to make a visit to a bank. Could not find any ATM that would take our cards.
It's "fun" that those ATM's will let you proceed all the way to choosing amount of money and then they spit out your card..
Jani took the challenge and successfully (but not so swiftly) exchanged more rubles for us.
Local bank clerk Tatjana did not win the employee of the week title on that transaction.

Soon after that were flagged down by a police. Second time on the trip! He was most likely just curious
about us street bandit lookalikes and had really nothing to say. Waived us forward after staring at us for a
good moment. Lots of speed traps. We lost count after 20 of ‘em! Once again skill (haha!) and pure luck
got us thru all of them without a ticket.

Again(!) we were turned away from the first gostinitza we tried. Second one was a success. It was a simple
and slightly shady looking small place along the road with just one truck parked in front of it.
Turned out to be probably the best accommodation we had!
A lady and her brother ran the place and they did not speak a word of english.

Our generous hosts

We figured that collecting butterflies could be our next hobby&project..

The guy promised to watch over our bikes and the lady fed us well. We were hoping to get a shower
but thru the language barrier we figured they don’t have one for guests. However the guy (forgot their names I’m afraid)
promised to heat some water for us to wash up. Or so we thought.
After 45min he came to pick us up and took us down a narrow path towards the woods. Looked suspicious..
Until we saw their sauna. He had heated up a proper sauna and had also arranged beer and birch whisks (vihta or vasta in Finnish) for us.

Sauna drinks and vihta's

We realised that it was Midsummers eve and we found ourselves enjoying a good sauna in the middle of
nowhere, somewhere in Russia!
(FYI, just in case. Sauna is a BIG thing in Finland and midsummers is the biggest party / festivity in
Finland in the summer time.)

Viewer discretion advised..

(And no, there's no calendar for sale.)

One can plan a lot going on a trip like this but this experience was one the unplanned gems and highlights for us!
Riding bikes is fun. Period. But most often the most memorable things on your trip have nothing to do with riding your bike.

794km, Total 12727km

Ritsikirja notes:

- Riding was not smooth today. Traffic and cops everywhere.
- J forgot bike keys on ignition for the evening. Then again, who would have stolen it?
- Awesome sauna on midsummers eve!
- J was slightly hungry (again). Ate two main courses! A growing / widening boy needs energy?
Old 03-01-2014, 09:57 AM   #83
Miikka OP
Sir Fallalot

Day 23, June 23rd.
N58 47.709 E52 53.260 - N59 59.189 E42 41.787 (gostinitza)

Early wake up at 6:30 and back on saddle at 7:30 feeling fresh and clean after our sauna excursion.
First two hours went by pretty smooth without traffic. Main task was to keep rims in one piece by avoiding huge
potholes. And by huge i mean humangous. Big enough to hide half a bike in 'em..

We decided that it’s time to cut the cord and say farewell to my road kill Camelbak. Simple "ceremony" and
I left it at a bus stop.
I’m sure someone will find some use for it without the busted bladder.

Camelbak's tomb (can't see the bag that well but it's in the corner on the bench)

Bus stop gymnastics II

Bus stop gymnastics III

Potholes on the road got progressively bigger and bigger. Marching speed went down in relation to
pothole size.

Just when we got on a better stretch of road and left potholes and manholes behind our backs...Jani’s
Zega Pro pannier called it a day. Jani’s minor tumble on day 9 must have given the pannier system the
initial shock treatment and potholes were the straw that broke the camels back. The attachment of the
support rod at the back broke and it was time to troubleshoot again. No way of fixing it properly without
welding so we just tightened up remaining bolts and transfered all the heavy stuff to my panniers.

Suddenly my wounded pannier was the king of the road!

We seemed to have created a system of braking stuff every other day

Took a gostinitza once again and fixed what we could on Jani’s pannier set.

Also the rack attachment point under the seat surrendered. Big washer, tighten the bolt and it's good as new..

845km, Total 13594km

Ritsikirja notes:

- Jani’s Zega Pro lasted 13330km in one piece. (Mental note: at least consider soft panniers for possible future trips.)
- Jani’s power inverter broke down. Miikka’s bike still has a 220v outlet in the rear box for various charging purposes.
- Seemed like police had a day off after previous day’s witch hunt.
- Long day on the saddle: 12h50min
Old 03-01-2014, 11:15 AM   #84
lookaught
Loner Extraordinaire

Oddometer: 199
Great RR!

On the white bike, did you hydroprint the digital camo pattern on the battery cover? or vinyl?

I've really been considering doing some hydroprinting on my 800, I'm wondering how it's held up.
Solo Ride – Pennsylvania to Anchorage, Alaska and back – 2011

Two Ape supermotos take on the Dragon
lookaught is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2014, 11:05 PM   #85
Miikka OP
Sir Fallalot

Thanks man!

It's Oracal wrapping film. Here's a post (#152) I made to another thread a while back:
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showt...390237&page=11

The bigger side panels are painted but beak and "aft panels" have the camo wrap.
I've had them for 3 summers and about 20000km and they look as good as new (that's subjective..)

Manufacturer says you can remove them without residue within 4 years from installation.
No idea, I may give it a go this summer and try something new.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lookaught View Post
Great RR!

On the white bike, did you hydroprint the digital camo pattern on the battery cover? or vinyl?

I've really been considering doing some hydroprinting on my 800, I'm wondering how it's held up.
Old 03-03-2014, 06:25 AM   #86
Miikka OP
Sir Fallalot

Day 24, June 24th
N59 59.189 E42 41.787 - N59 56.628 E31 43.250 (camp)

Pancakes and porridge for breakfast and back on the road at 8:20.

Chilly +12C in the morning and downpour began at 11am.
Poor foggy visibility with low temps…we needed to stop and add layers.
Weather got worse and worse, mighty difficult to see anything thru visor.

Testing different combinations on helmet visor and Mirage screen height kept us busy most of the day.
Visor 1/2cm open, Mirage fully up...visor x cm open, Mirage x cm down..

Options are endless and I think we tested every possible combination!

I was able to open up visor without too much trouble in order to prevent it fogging up but
Jani was wearing glasses so it was not an option for him. Do that with glasses -> glasses get sprayed
and whatever visibility you had is gone

We began discussing indoor accommodation already at lunch time.
Coffee and gas breaks tended to last wayyy longer than normally and we were in no hurry to proceed..
Had to drop our marching speed again and try to adapt to poor weather. All day went by in a miserable
and wet mood.
Luckily the road surface was WAY better than previous days since there would have been absolutely
no way of avoiding potholes in that visibility.

Finding a place to stay turned out to be a problem. Either we looked too trashy and wet or the price was
ridiculously high. We went thru 4(!) places riding back and forth with no luck and wasted 2 hours on that.
And it was still raining.

Gostinitza Rejection no.2

We did capture the moment of no rain

We carried on further away from town and decided to cut our losses and rough it out.
Our friends mosquitos kept us company when we finally set up our camp in silence and light rain at 10pm.
In 24 days we had created pretty good routine and task sharing setting up a camp site.
I have to say that I personally preferred camping out. No hassle with hauling gear indoors, securing stuff/bike,
sorting out parking, paying and whatnot.

Camping was always straight forward once we found and chose a spot! Ok, rain does slightly reduces the appeal.
But beyond that it's perfect. You have your bike next to you and the bike IS your bedroom closet, kitchen cabinet,
media centre and lov....errrr I mean life line.

After dinner world felt like a better place again but that evening did really not go as planned.

This ain't no fashion show

783km, Total 14399km.

Ritsikirjan notes:

- Roads ok, weather bad. Ride index 2- (on a scale 1 to 10)
- Russian gas stations seemed extra comfy today.
- Finding a place to stay can be difficult. Rain does not help the mood.
- mosquitos found us again. Who ratted us out?!
Old 03-05-2014, 08:35 AM   #87
Miikka OP
Sir Fallalot

Day 25, June 25th
N59 56.628 E31 43.250 - home

Coming home.

Morning broke without rain but mosquitos were still there. Jani had a tremendous idea of leaving our
tents there. “They are dirty, smelly and wet…why on earth haul them home? And it’s not like we get
to use ‘em ever again anyways.”
I pointed out that he may have to fulfil his promise to camp out with his kids one of these…years,
so it would be way cheaper to take ‘em with us. So...we packed our camping gear one last time on this journey.

The remaining ride to border was uneventful. Killing time while riding we went thru our list of gear in
order to figure out what should or could have been left home. Spare parts / tools excluded. We came to
conclusion that swimming trunks, mid layer pants and a pair or two of socks could have been left home.
Those were the only items we didn’t use on our trip. Everything else seemed to have served their purpose.
Well, GoPro camera could have been left home. The battery life is a pain so it did not get used much at all.
Overall I'd say I that it paid off to fine tune the gear list for weeks and weeks!

We spent our remaining money at a gas station on gas and chocolate. According to our Ritsikirja calculations
the average fuel consumption on our trip was 4,45 L/100km. (53mpg)

Border crossing felt easy and took us less than an hour.
Had lunch on Finnish side of the border and made long overdue phone calls to home.

Seasoned travellers at RUS - FIN border

Finnish tarmac felt smooth as silk. Only problem was to adapt back to normal western traffic rules and
speed limits. We called our official backup guy Tuomas who had been pretty much out of job for the
past 10 days and terminated his assignment. We’d be happy to have him back on any future trip!

Remaining 200km’s went by in light rain and I bet we both had the end of the trip -blues going on.
Feeling happy to be back home but at the same time feeling sad that the journey is over..

On Helsinki ring road III MC Chicken Wings parted their ways.

Home sweet home at 4pm.

Jani back home with kids

My first born testing helmet

466km, TRIP TOTAL 14877km

Ritsikirja notes:

- easy border crossing
- guys are mighty tired
- Heidenau Scouts took a helluva beating and got us thru 14877km without a single puncture.
Good choice over carrying two (or three) sets of TKC’s.

Old 03-06-2014, 03:50 AM   #88
Miikka OP
Sir Fallalot

Trip Complete

Final thoughts.

I think we had a great trip. Can’t speak for Jani but I dare to say he thinks the same way.
PLUS…we are still friends so the trip must have been success.
It’s not always simple to spend 24h a day for weeks even with a good buddy of yours.
I think we did good on that department. Sure we had minor disagreements,
especially on empty stomach! But that’s life.

It was pretty awesome to fulfil something we had planned and dreamed about for years.
For me personally getting ready for the trip was also a big part of the whole thing. I like tinkering
with my bike. And tinkering is even more fun when there’s a “purpose” for it.

Many things did not go quite as planned but how much fun would it be if you knew exactly how it’s going to go?
Adventure begins when a plan fails? (someone smarter than me said that)

In my opinion we were well prepared and I felt like we could handle any reasonable obstacles
on our way. I’d say surviving traffic is the biggest real concern on a trip like this. It doesn’t pay to be
right on two wheels. Staying out of trouble is the only thing that counts.

If you read all the way here and you’ve been planning your personal dream trip “some day",
my advice is: Do it!
Common sense and sign language take us mighty far. Everything else is fine tuning.

One more “advice” though. Talk it thru with your significant other(s). Before the trip!
It’s not given that “normal people” understand our need for an adventure on two wheels. Go figure?

Last but not least a short clip of riding in Mongolia:

Mon_clip from Miikka Leino on Vimeo.

Life is short. Ride on!

Cheers,

Miikka (+Jani)

ps. My bike is still “under investigation”. I have had very little time and will to troubleshoot and furthermore
I had trouble replicating the symptoms in summer 2013. BMW maintenance could
not find any faults when I dropped the bike for valve maintenance..
Old 03-06-2014, 07:58 AM   #89
KL__07
ride your own way

Oddometer: 55
fantastic RR

you are heros anyways ! many thanks.
Old 03-06-2014, 10:23 AM   #90
BELSTAFF
ADV NOMAD

Oddometer: 1,085
Best layed plans of mice & men

Not the low level hi-speed bomb run you expected ? Nor me for that matter, as I knew that mother nature, politics people, & circumstances have a way of changing even the best of plans.

So for me this was a fun trip & thanks for the ride along, it was great & I enjoyed ever post.
Lets do it again some time soon.

Arizona OHV Ambassador
BELSTAFF is offline   Reply With Quote