Go Back   ADVrider > Gear > Equipment
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-20-2012, 08:48 PM   #1
SJSharkfan OP
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 674
Traveling with only an IPhone, school me!

On August 1 I'll be getting an IPhone 4S and 2 weeks later i'm leaving for a 3 week trip to Alaska. I'll be using it for all my music/ camera/ internet/GPS and oh yeah phone needs. I've got power to my tank bag where I imagine the phone will live while I'm on the bike. I'm going to try the Lifeproof case, seems to be the best option so far.

So any useful advise on the best way to utilize the Iphone while out on the road?

Thanks in advance

BTW, lets not turn this into a "my phone is better" thread.

Dave
'02 R1150GS ADV "The Tank"

"I fire up the willing engine,responding with a roar.
Tires spitting gravel, I commit my weekly crime."

"Red Barchetta" By RUSH
SJSharkfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2012, 09:15 PM   #2
levain
STILL Jim Williams

Oddometer: 7,041
It's really intuitive. Consider charging options so you're never dead and enjoy your trip. There's no manual for a reason.
1971 Lambretta DL
levain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2012, 09:56 PM   #3
SF_Rider
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 443
If you are going to need to really use it for email you should consider a blue tooth keyboard so you can actually type.

check out a case from biologic, found searching online or sold through REI. Mounts to your handlebar and is somewhat water resistant and depending on your gloves you can use it through the plastic screen.

Look into software such as motion gpx or a garmin app for about $40.00. Believe it or not, the free map quest app is also good.
SF_Rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2012, 10:06 PM   #4
thorinoakenshield
ya mo be there

Oddometer: 446
You should take a REAL camera for your epic ride.
Oh and you won't be able to upload those camera pics until you get to a laptop/desktop. If you know a way around this, let me know!
You won't have reception 100% of the time (and while in Canada unless you pay out the @55), so get something like Navigon. With Navigon, you get a gps that stores the maps locally.
Switch on airplane mode in Canada so you don't get those famous $10,000 roaming charges.
Save your service manual pdfs on your phone as well as any other useful docs.
I use an otterbox defender. Tough case!
I use etymotic earbuds to zone out to my music while at campsites.
If you go to a campsite or hotel with wifi, many times their router is crap, so you'll rely on your 3g connection. Do people still use 3g? I do with AT&T...
Maybe sew some conductive thread in your gloves so you can use your phone with your motorcycle gloves.
Take some board game apps on your phone to pass the time at campsites. This is nice when people next door start talking to you. They may even let you have some of their beer.
Have a groovy time!
thorinoakenshield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2012, 10:08 PM   #5
BRUTSQD
2 scoops of stupid

Oddometer: 285
Pro HDR on iphone 4s

Yo! An absolute must have for those gratuitous bike and scenery shots in the application Pro HDR. I have traveled extensively using just my 4S and the pictures I have taken with that have turned out completely ridiculous. I look forward to you downloading the app, trying it and thanking me later.
-T
BRUTSQD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2012, 11:04 PM   #6
SJSharkfan OP
Studly Adventurer

Thanks for the ideas so far, keep 'em coming.

I might bring my crappy P/S camera but the Iphone has 8mp vs. 4mp for the old cam. Will look into Pro HDR.

I'll be streaming music via blue tooth to my Sena headset with earbuds.

Dave

"Red Barchetta" By RUSH
Old 07-20-2012, 11:23 PM   #7
dam1
n00b

Oddometer: 1
pixels aren't everything in a camera.
dam1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2012, 11:44 PM   #8
thorinoakenshield
ya mo be there

Quote:
Originally Posted by dam1 View Post
pixels aren't everything in a camera.
yeah, this is true. the iphone cam isnt so great in low light.

just a good point-n-shoot canon or nikon that takes hd video.
get enough mem cards too since you dont have a harddrive to unload stuff to.
Old 07-21-2012, 12:00 AM   #9
Unstable Rider
Beyond Thunderdome

Oddometer: 2,434
get a 88$ refurb garmin nuvi gps from amazon and keep the iphone in your baggage.

silly to use a 500$ phone with a tiny screen for your ADV gps needs....

even if you have insurance on it, typically the deductable is gonna sting- check into it.

consider your iphone a backup gps if your primary breaks down, gets stolen, or you trash it in a crash or have to walk out of somewhere.

~Butch Cassidy
Unstable Rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2012, 09:18 AM   #10
OaklandStrom
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,612
Pick a GPS program, and upload some maps. I assume there will be wifi from time to time, so you can upload more maps?

If you fill you phone with music (easy to do) you won't have room for pictures. You can't easily delete music, so at some point, you'll need to delete pictures or stop taking them - unless you leave plenty of room.

I *highly* recommend some sort of cloud service, like Dropbox.
Dropbox will allow you to upload photos from the phone to the "cloud" and then download them to your computer later.

I also recommend something like Pandora, so you can listen to music when you have wifi or a connection (assuming you have a big data plan). That way, you can take 4 or 5 GB (depends on how much storage the phone has) of music with you, but still have "fresh" music after 3 weeks.

If you can find it, get a copy of the service manual for your bike, as a PDF and save it to the phone. I had to split mine into chapters, because the phone couldn't easily handle a 30MB PDF - but has no problem with 2 -5 MB chapters.

Unless you need to send a bunch of email or are updating a blog, the phone is fine for occasional communication. Writing a manifesto? Take a keyboard.

A few travel related apps on my phone:
yelp - helps find restaurants & whatnot

Red Cross First Aid - tells you how to stop bleeding

Motion X Drive - GPS, with turn by turn navigation (does not need cell service to work, but you need to pre-load maps if you're off the grid)

Pandora - streaming radio

Tunein Radio - streaming radio, including local stations (listen to local weather)

The Weather Channel

Greatest Road - crowd sourced good motorcycling roads. Created by an inmate here.
UltimateDrive - seems to be the same as Greatest Road, but sponsored by BMW, and it's free - probably useless in Alaska.

StarWalk - fantastic star gazing app. Has maps for every know star, planet, satellite and thing in the sky. Point the phone at the sky, and it'll tell you what you're looking at, and show all the other stars you can't see. Point it at the ground, and it'll show you what stars are on the other side of the planet. Want to find Uranus (or anything else in the catalog)? Search for it, and arrows appear on the screen guiding you to it. Some features require a network connection.

Amazon Pricecheck - use the camera to scan a barcode, and it finds the item on Amazon. I don't use it in stores, because I think it's a bad deal for the merchant. However, on my last bike trip, I saw a book my wife would love, and there was no way I could buy it and carry it home in good shape. The ranger station/gift shop at Navajo National Monument had no way to wrap & ship it for me. So, I scanned it and had it sent to the house. She got her gift before I got home, and I got good husband points.

Some sort of news reader, if you want to keep up with the crap you are trying to get away from.

Find iPhone - Allows you to communicate with the phone if you lose it. You need another Apple devise to access it, but you can remotely send a message to your phone, lock the screen, erase the data, etc.

Find Friends - if there's somebody who you want to be able to know where you are, this will show them. They will need an Apple product of some sort (iPhone, Macintosh, iPad...). They will see a little blue dot of where you are on the planet, if you have network access. Can be creepy, but you have total control over who sees what.

ConvertBot is a great units converter if you need help with the Canadian metric stuff.

Have a great ride!
OaklandStrom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2012, 09:34 AM   #11
cobrags
Lost ADVR

Oddometer: 656
I have had problems with iPhones giving me "TEMPERATURE" warnings(shuts down until colded off) while in tank bag.

Of all the roads you take, Make sure a few of them are dirt.
cobrags is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2012, 02:57 PM   #12
bikerfish
flyfishandride

Oddometer: 1,456
I remember when we didn't travel with any phones, gps, or radios. Always had a camera though! I love when I ride through an area with no cell signal. simple wonderful, lets you leave the world behind and enjoy what's in front of you at that moment.
bikerfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2012, 03:45 PM   #13
OaklandStrom
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,612
Quote:
Originally Posted by bikerfish View Post
I remember when we didn't travel with any phones, gps, or radios. Always had a camera though! I love when I ride through an area with no cell signal. simple wonderful, lets you leave the world behind and enjoy what's in front of you at that moment.
Mine has an "off" switch when I want to get away.

However, it also allowed me to take a 2 week bike trip with my dad when I didn't have any vacation time. I convinced work that I would be able to stay in touch well enough to be gone. So I checked email after we retired to the tents, and once or twice during the day. A few times on the trip, I made phone calls. And I got to text pictures to my friends at work.

It'll be great to be retired, and be able to blow off all my commitments. If my dad is alive in 20 years, he'll be 95 so I doubt he'll be riding still. My choice was to miss yet another ride with my dad, quit my job, or take a phone camping with me. Pretty easy choice.
OaklandStrom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2012, 04:46 PM   #14
thorinoakenshield
ya mo be there

dont forget tapatalk to stay in touch with advrider!
Old 07-21-2012, 08:57 PM   #15
SJSharkfan OP
Studly Adventurer

Thanks again guys. I have alot to learn.

I'm not much of a turn by turn GPS user. Finding Alaska is easy. Hit hwy. 5 and head north. But it would be nice to reference something to figure time to destination, gas, food etc.

I'll have to look into "The Cloud" given I can get wifi or network.

That Pro HDR app looks badass. I'll have to be careful about apps vs. photo/ music storage. 16 GB used to be huge.

OaklandStrom, thats a ton of info. Thanks for taking the time.

Dave

"Red Barchetta" By RUSH