Go Back   ADVrider > Gear > Equipment
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-21-2012, 09:13 PM   #16
thorinoakenshield
ya mo be there

Oddometer: 450
campwhere is a good app for finding campsites.
thorinoakenshield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2012, 12:35 AM   #17
SF_Rider
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 443
google voice is good too, lets you make calls via wifi. You need to setup a google account and get a number, which is all free.

sometimes you may find yourself out of cell range but with wifi.
SF_Rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2012, 06:21 AM   #18
mikesova
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,731
Quote:
Originally Posted by thorinoakenshield View Post
You should take a REAL camera for your epic ride.
Oh and you won't be able to upload those camera pics until you get to a laptop/desktop. If you know a way around this, let me know!
You won't have reception 100% of the time (and while in Canada unless you pay out the @55), so get something like Navigon. With Navigon, you get a gps that stores the maps locally.
Switch on airplane mode in Canada so you don't get those famous $10,000 roaming charges.
Save your service manual pdfs on your phone as well as any other useful docs.
I use an otterbox defender. Tough case!
I use etymotic earbuds to zone out to my music while at campsites.
If you go to a campsite or hotel with wifi, many times their router is crap, so you'll rely on your 3g connection. Do people still use 3g? I do with AT&T...
Maybe sew some conductive thread in your gloves so you can use your phone with your motorcycle gloves.
Take some board game apps on your phone to pass the time at campsites. This is nice when people next door start talking to you. They may even let you have some of their beer.
Have a groovy time!
I have a flickr app that I use to upload directly from the iphone to flickr. It works fine.
mikesova is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2012, 09:07 AM   #19
thorinoakenshield
ya mo be there

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikesova View Post
I have a flickr app that I use to upload directly from the iphone to flickr. It works fine.
Nice.
What I meant was that I'd like to get photos from my canon camera off the camera and online. You can do this with a laptop, but not with an iphone as far as I know.
Old 07-22-2012, 11:12 AM   #20
bigpercentcountry
Adventurer

Oddometer: 20
They make and iPhone SD Card adapter. I've seen ones that plug into the phone and others set up like a dock.
Old 07-22-2012, 06:00 PM   #21
OaklandStrom
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,612
Keep in mind that an iPhone is good for snapshots, but sucks at "real" photography. If you just want some mementos of your trip, it'll be fine.
OaklandStrom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2012, 08:27 PM   #22
Bluetru
Adventurer

Oddometer: 45
Ive been using a fairly successful setup recently you may consider. For power, the touratech cockpit dash piece that provides dual outlet (traditional and BMW/powerlet) that is fused to the battery direct to avoid issues with canbus. I chose the multipod from Wunderlisch and combined it with a RAM adjustable phone holder and mounted it on the right handlebar. From Powerlet, a custom length (19") powerlet to apple cable. Just enough length to steer lock to lock but not have slop when neutral. I too use the lifeproof case and can charge constantly while riding and using Bluetooth and other apps. As you know the lifeproof case requires a slimmer power adapter to fit some charging cables due to the narrow port. Overall this is fairly streamlined and easy to remove the phone on dismount.
Bluetru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2012, 04:04 AM   #23
jbhawley
WTF- Gus?

Oddometer: 413
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikesova View Post
Also Photobucket has an app to upload from an iphone to your photobucket account. I guess this is very similar or the same as the flickr upload app.

"All the inconvenience and sweat and discomfort of body armor suddenly pales when you're sliding comfortably down the highway on all fours." -ghostdncr
jbhawley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2012, 06:24 AM   #24
scubasimon
Adventurer

Oddometer: 69
i have been on the same road as you for awhile now using just the iPhone for a whole load of things including photography and i have to say it is more than able. i do not really miss my dslr very much...except for times when i want to take pictures in darker conditions or when i need a more reliable shutter trigger. i find the iPhone takes really nice pictures with the right app as the native camera app just does not cut it.

i personally use the 645 Pro app. i leave it on high quality JPG mode and it makes some really nice and large JPG files that i can edit with either Snapseed or Filterstorm, upload to my Smugmug account or share on any of the usual platforms. image quality is much better than expected because the app does very little, if any, compression if that is what you desire.

the only thing that bothers me is that i have to remove my gloves to use that touch screen. other than that, i find it to be an extremely good tool that just works.

i have some shots in my blog that were taken with the iPhone 4S. i find the quality to be very good. if this doesn't work for you, then consider something else...but it works for me 90% of the time

enjoy!
scubasimon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2012, 06:48 AM   #25
worwig
Lost in Georgia

Oddometer: 890
Quote:
Originally Posted by scubasimon View Post
the only thing that bothers me is that i have to remove my gloves to use that touch screen.
Just stitch in some conductive thread.
Old 07-24-2012, 08:47 AM   #26
scubasimon
Adventurer

Oddometer: 69
That would ruin the waterproof lining though ;-) But it would work in dryer climates for sure!
scubasimon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2012, 09:00 AM   #27
devo2002
-Devo

Oddometer: 3,571
12v socket for charging and download motion x and download all the map sections you are traveling on otherwise when out of cell range it will be useless.

Also have Priceline, weather.com, waze, kayak, urban spoon apps can't hurt also

Have fun
Old 07-26-2012, 04:30 PM   #28
thorinoakenshield
ya mo be there

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigpercentcountry View Post
They make and iPhone SD Card adapter. I've seen ones that plug into the phone and others set up like a dock.
thx! i will look into it.
Old 07-26-2012, 07:00 PM   #29
SJSharkfan OP
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 626
Quote:
Originally Posted by thorinoakenshield View Post
thx! i will look into it.
Me too! But so far I've been unable to find these adapters. I've seen ones for Ipad that let you transfer into the Ipad but it doesn't say they transfer out. Any one have first hand experience with these?

Dave
'02 R1150GS ADV "The Tank"

"I fire up the willing engine,responding with a roar.
Tires spitting gravel, I commit my weekly crime."

"Red Barchetta" By RUSH
SJSharkfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2012, 07:07 PM   #30
Katoom119
Mmmm....Orange Kool-aid

Oddometer: 1,754
Camera Awesome by SmugMug (Owner of ADV Rider's photo website) is fantastic. You can also upload it straight to SmugMug and post here on Adventure Rider.

Tapatalk is a great forum app that'll let you keep in touch with ADV Rider and you can post everything that way too.

WeatherTAP Zoom is a weather app that shows you exactly where any rain/thunderstorms/tornados/floods are and you can zoom in right on top of your location.

5 Cylinders vs. Moab..........My East Tennessee.........Internships may go to Hell and I will go to Alaska
Katoom119 is offline   Reply With Quote