Go Back   ADVrider > Gear > Equipment
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-23-2012, 06:05 AM   #16
'05Train
Mind is not for rent

Oddometer: 951
i sucked it up and got the R3 suit this spring. I've got around 12,000 miles on it, and I freaking love it. I've used it from around 40 degrees up to 112, in blazing sun and pouring rain. I looked really hard at the Badlands suit, but the Gore-Tex is a no-go in high heat/high humidity. The rain liners are a PITA, but that's the tradeoff for how well the suit flows air. In a light rain, I don't bother with them. In a downpour they're absolutely waterproof.

My only gripe is that BMW doesn't offer tall sizes in the gray suit. I can live with it, but would prefer a little more sleeve and leg length than what the standard sizes offer.
Old 07-23-2012, 08:07 AM   #17
Gummee!
That's MR. Toothless

Oddometer: 27,838
I have an R2 so my info is a little old, but its a great suit for 90% of my riding. The ONLY problems I have are during wet weather and winter. Its not the warmest suit I've ever owned, but for the other 3 seasons, its the best.

Continued wet weather = wear the liner AND an oversuit. Getting that jacket wet = cold = miserable. DAMHIK

If you can afford it, buy both a goretex suit AND the R2/3. ...but buy em both used! I got the R2 suit semi-used for what the jacket alone would have cost.

M
Old 07-27-2012, 06:15 AM   #18
rhicks
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 298
Quote:
Originally Posted by BRUTSQD View Post
Hello there,
I've been scoping out both the BMW and Klim jacket and pant combo. Anyone have personal experience with either? I have used klim stuff before and liked it, but I've heard the BMW suits are pretty top notch. Any input?
-T
I've got the black R3 jacket and am extremely happy with it. It vents awesome in 90+ weather and keeps me warm (w/ liner and fleece) down to low thirties. It's a solid jacket. The jacket works very well with Denver weather. I've never worn the jacket in a downpour alone since I carry the Tourmaster Sentinel w/ me as a rain jacket.
That being said, I've been considering selling it for a Badlands Pro. I like the ability just to zip up and go when weather turns bad instead of getting off the bike, hunting for rain gear, and putting it on. I also like the waist strap and chest guard on the Badlands. I do think the armor on the R3 is beefier and covers more area (minus chest).

Either way I think both jackets are very solid and you can't go wrong with either. I need to research more before deciding whether or not to sell but I do remember coming from the Cayenne Pro to the Rallye 3 I was doing a happy dance it vented so well on that first ride home in 93F.
Old 08-26-2012, 01:34 AM   #19
Dav080
Awesomo

Oddometer: 8
From what Ive read, the Rallye 3 jacket is good with the exception of the waterproof liner in that the rest of the suit is waterlogged while you stay dry because of the internal liner. How would the Ralley3 go with a rainsuit over the top? Any ideas?

Thanks.

The GPS is broken.

2011 - G650GS
Dav080 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2012, 04:40 AM   #20
gsd4me
90% bluff

Oddometer: 7,135
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dav080 View Post
From what Ive read, the Rallye 3 jacket is good with the exception of the waterproof liner in that the rest of the suit is waterlogged while you stay dry because of the internal liner. How would the Ralley3 go with a rainsuit over the top? Any ideas? Thanks.

It would work but would be very bulky; you`d look like the Michelin Man.

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showt...uild+australia
gsd4me is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2012, 04:45 AM   #21
Shakeyhands
Goober

Oddometer: 597
I can ardly believe that no Aerostich have dirtied this thread yet!

KTM 990 ADV

Honda XR650L
Shakeyhands is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2012, 03:15 AM   #22
Dav080
Awesomo

Oddometer: 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by GSD4ME View Post
It would work but would be very bulky; you`d look like the Michelin Man.
Good point, thanks.

The GPS is broken.

2011 - G650GS
Dav080 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2012, 04:46 PM   #23
Hikertrash
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,701
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dav080 View Post
From what Ive read, the Rallye 3 jacket is good with the exception of the waterproof liner in that the rest of the suit is waterlogged while you stay dry because of the internal liner. How would the Ralley3 go with a rainsuit over the top? Any ideas?

Thanks.
Actually it's not too bad. I purchased a Revit Nitric H2O rain jacket that has the longer cut in back. It's almost made for the R3. I use it for when I'm caught in downpours. It beats air drying the R3 for 2 days.
IBA #50489
Hikertrash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2012, 08:10 PM   #24
Stkmkt1
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 256
Guys. Tell me what I'm missing here. I wear the Aerostich Darian pants and jacket year round. No liner in the summer and no jeans under the pants in the summer. When temps hit around freezing or below, I throw on Gerbings over jeans and a long sleeve shirt. Stich goes on over that. I ride in all kinds of weather including very heavy downpours when everyone else has pulled off to the side of the rode. I don't seem to get much in the way of wet. I ride in temps from below zero to above 100. My stich is the only riding suit I own.

I'm starting to look at getting a new suit next year. I like the Badlands. But when I see all the discussion your all having I keep thinking that I may just order up a new Darian. And for the record, in March of 2011, I slid down the interstate with the GSA on top of my left leg after hitting black ice. The pants did take a bit of a licking. But I still wear them. And the BMW boots fully protected my leg. I still wear them too.

I don't seem to have issues with cold, heat, rain, or sweat like you all do. I do sweat, but it doesn't bother me. Am I just blind to the discomfort? Oh, and I really only wash my suit and waterproof it once a year.
Needs: new garage (in planning) Need more room for more bikes.
Stkmkt1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2012, 08:31 PM   #25
levain
STILL Jim Williams

Oddometer: 7,033
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shakeyhands View Post
I can ardly believe that no Aerostich have dirtied this thread yet!
You beat him to the punch

Talk all the Aerostich smack you want, but keep in mind they were the first to offer the laminated goretex suit that everyone thinks is so groundbreaking now. That was like 25 years ago. They've been doing it for years, and continue to have religious customers as a result. Seems they're doing something right to me. (For the record, I don't currently own any Aerostich gear. However, the more Klim, Rukka, BMW, Rev'it, Motoport suits I buy the better my old Darien looks)
1971 Lambretta DL
levain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2013, 06:10 PM   #26
DaveCraige
Adventurer

Oddometer: 14
Just wanted to say a quick thanks for this thread. I'm currently looking at Klim and BMW gear and its great to hear some additional feedback
DaveCraige is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2013, 07:30 AM   #27
cliffy109
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,597
Quote:
Originally Posted by BRUTSQD View Post
Wow.... Great replies and thanks for all the input. Looks like I have some thinking to do as it seems both have their strengths. I'm in CA and often times CO so I get both dry 100+ as well as the occasional rip snorting thunder storm. Sounds like the BMW does better with venting but it a pain in the ass with using liners and potentially armor underneath. The Klim sounds like it might sacrifice a little comfort for simplicity with the goretex and better armor? For someone who likes to keep things simple, Klim might be the way to go. Sounds like I need to just go try them on.
-T
You've got the idea. I might even suggest a hybrid system. The Rallye 3 jacket and the Klim pants would make a lot of sense. Putting on a jacket liner isn't a horrible task. Putting on the pants liner SUCKS!!! This is made worse on the Rallye pants since they don't zip up to the hip which means removing your boots. Add to that the fact that the liner is very soft and will cause your pants to ride up when putting them on and I just wouldn't ever put the liner on while on the road.

Meanwhile, the Rallye jacket is VERY comfortable and vents air very well. Venting is nearly as good as my mesh jacket. Armor is solid and I like everything about the jacket. The pants are great too but I never wear them if there is even a slight chance of rain.

Incidentally, my normal riding gear is the Rallye 3 jacket and Darien pants. The Dariens are Goretex but thin enough to be worn all year, including 100 degrees with high humidity.
cliffy109 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2013, 09:12 AM   #28
docwyte
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 930
I'd say it's going to be based on fitment. I tried on the Klim stuff and it just felt awkward. The armor wasn't in the right places and it felt very bulky.

The Rallye 3 just feels right, fitment on me is outstanding.

Getting the liners in and out is very easy and only takes a few minutes. They're extremely effective, I was out riding in low 40's in temp with just the liners in and nothing else on and I was completely comfortable. I never had a problem with the pants liners bunching up on me.

My one complaint is I'd like to see exhaust vents on the pants. The jacket vents extremely well, the pants, well, not so much.
Old 05-01-2013, 09:12 AM   #29
Gregarious
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 353
Quote:
Originally Posted by cliffy109 View Post
You've got the idea. I might even suggest a hybrid system. The Rallye 3 jacket and the Klim pants would make a lot of sense. Putting on a jacket liner isn't a horrible task. Putting on the pants liner SUCKS!!!.
+1 on mixing as needed.

I've had a RP2 for the past 5 years. It's the most comfortable, functional, and flexible setup I've used to date. However living and riding in the Pacific NW means trips that go from rain and temps in the 30's to sun and 90's in an afternoon. Pulling over and stripping down to put on or take off pant liners is just a huge pain - as is the extra packing space needed for the gortex liners.

I decided to get some KLIM goretex pants this year and ordered the Latitudes, but my size was on permanent back-order so I'm going to get the Overlands instead when they come out. I *did* however succumb to the lure of the Badlands jacket. I've worn it on a number of rides and in the pouring rain and it seems great. I've yet to wear it anywhere hot. I'm not going to get rid of my RP2 however because it is a bit more comfortable and flexible.

One mixing combination that didn't work: the Badlands jacket with my Darien pants that I use for commuting. The Badlands jacket is cut a little higher than the Aerostich jackets, and in a downpour the Badland's gussetted, waterproof zipper directed a bunch of water directly onto the Darien's non-waterproof zipper. My crotch got soaked.
Gregarious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2013, 05:51 PM   #30
'05Train
Mind is not for rent

Oddometer: 951
I got cheap compression bags from Amazon to hold the liners for my R3. It is a royal PITA to strip down to your skivvies on the side of the road to put the liners in the pants. At least traffic gets a show.