Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > GSpot > Parallel Universe
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-22-2012, 06:28 AM   #16
ebrabaek
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,301
It would be impossible to silence this twin.....let alone a single. the more cylinders you have the more can you work on the exhaust pulses to help quiet it down...... But stock is a calm as it get's. Quite a bit of r/d goes into the design of those, as they are damped via physical baffles, rather than acoustic material.,....

Erling
ebrabaek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2012, 07:15 AM   #17
WoodWorks
House Ape

Oddometer: 2,203
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dieselpwr View Post
hybrid vehicles, which can be completely silent when running only on the electric battery are required by the DOT to produce some type of sound to protect pedestrians. If you don't hear a car coming, you might be more compelled to cross the street without looking i guess.
There have been some misguided attempts to pass that sort of requirement, but there are no such laws currently on the books anywhere. Anyone who has spent more than 10 secs. near a hybrid car will know that the sound of the rolling tires make enough noise at speed to alert all but the hearing impaired to their presence. The only time a hybrid is "completely silent" is when it's shut off and not moving. As others have mentioned, engine noise, and sounds coming out of the tailpipe are often much quieter than the other sounds that a moving vehicle makes.

I'm tryin' ta think, but nuttin' happens!
--Curly
WoodWorks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2012, 04:15 PM   #18
Dieselpwr
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 382
Quote:
Originally Posted by WoodWorks View Post
There have been some misguided attempts to pass that sort of requirement, but there are no such laws currently on the books anywhere. Anyone who has spent more than 10 secs. near a hybrid car will know that the sound of the rolling tires make enough noise at speed to alert all but the hearing impaired to their presence. The only time a hybrid is "completely silent" is when it's shut off and not moving. As others have mentioned, engine noise, and sounds coming out of the tailpipe are often much quieter than the other sounds that a moving vehicle makes.
It's in the works

http://news.discovery.com/autos/aler...rs-110711.html
Old 07-22-2012, 05:17 PM   #19
WoodWorks
House Ape

Oddometer: 2,203
Yeah, that's one of the misguided attempts I mentioned. And as soon as some auto-industry lawyers point out that there are a bunch of internal combustion engine cars that emit less noise than hybrids or electrics do, those attempts will have about as much life as the Cub's World Series hopes.

But feel free to wake me up if something like that ever happens.

I'm tryin' ta think, but nuttin' happens!
--Curly
WoodWorks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2012, 11:39 PM   #20
fractalsource
Adventurer

Oddometer: 90
I'm running Remus headers and can. My bike is pretty quiet compared to my friends DRZ400 S with california emissions. I thought that bike was quiet! My bike, if I don't rev it, - purrs.
But if I give it some throttle it lights up the silence.
The zero is totally stealth, as suggested in this thread. - But, as much as I like quiet pipes, I'm afraid it would take some getting used to, to love the sound of silence. I would probably wear an ipod with motorcycle sounds just to feel normal.
Simon and Garfunkle: The sound of silence:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dTCNwgzM2rQ
fractalsource is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2012, 05:13 AM   #21
raider
Big red dog

Oddometer: 1,582
Quote:
Originally Posted by WoodWorks View Post
Yeah, that's one of the misguided attempts I mentioned. And as soon as some auto-industry lawyers point out that there are a bunch of internal combustion engine cars that emit less noise than hybrids or electrics do, those attempts will have about as much life as the Cub's World Series hopes.

But feel free to wake me up if something like that ever happens.
No Woodworks, no! You're assuming the law has common sense and logic, and it doesn't. Take, for example, the fact that in most auto markets (not so sure about the States), you can buy a small European hatchback that comfortably eclipses the big and somewhat outdated Prius for fuel efficiency. And yet, in those same markets, the Prius guy gets preferential parking at the mall, cheaper registration and road tax, use of car pool lanes even if solo, etc.
Old 07-23-2012, 07:48 AM   #22
Camel ADV
aka Oso Blanco

Oddometer: 1,278
Not completely silently but a ton quitter. I have no first hand experience but I spoke with Shane Watts about it at a recent event. A physically bigger unit would be needed for our bikes.

http://www.eatmydirt.com.au/Products...-approval.aspx

Proud member of Team Canada for the 2014 BMW GS Trophy

AT-BZ-CA-CN-CO-CR-CZ-CH-FR-DE-GB-GT-HN-IE-JP-KZ-KR-LI-LU-MX-NL-NI-PL-RU-SV-UA-US
Camel ADV is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2012, 03:29 PM   #23
darkviscosity OP
n00b

Oddometer: 4
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oso Blanco View Post
Not completely silently but a ton quitter. I have no first hand experience but I spoke with Shane Watts about it at a recent event. A physically bigger unit would be needed for our bikes.

http://www.eatmydirt.com.au/Products...-approval.aspx
Ah, thanks for the link. This lines up with some of my own ideas regarding high performance silencing. Very encouraging. :-)
darkviscosity is offline   Reply With Quote