User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-07-2012, 02:45 PM   #1
dialdn OP
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 669
Bike doesn't start in first gear, ok in N

09 GSA. Bike won't start in first gear. Fine in neutral. Adjusted clutch switch, tried to connect the 2 pins and still no luck. Previously it was intermittent and happened more when cold. Now it is happening more often and when warm as well. Previous other symptom was a delay of 2-3 seconds holding starter before engine starts. Replaced battery on the weekend as well to try and solve it.

Thoughts?

D
Old 08-07-2012, 03:21 PM   #2
Okie Preacher
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 793
Quote:
Originally Posted by dialdn View Post
09 GSA. Bike won't start in first gear. Fine in neutral. Adjusted clutch switch, tried to connect the 2 pins and still no luck. Previously it was intermittent and happened more when cold. Now it is happening more often and when warm as well. Previous other symptom was a delay of 2-3 seconds holding starter before engine starts. Replaced battery on the weekend as well to try and solve it.

Thoughts?

D
Can you hear the clutch switch "click" when you squeeze the grip? If not, the switch is bad and not merely out of adjustment. Had to swap mine out earlier this year. '09 GS
Okie Preacher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2012, 03:23 PM   #3
Meeni
Adventurer

Oddometer: 64
Quote:

Thoughts?

D
The sidestand security switch is the next suspect I guess.
Meeni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2012, 03:41 PM   #4
dialdn OP
Studly Adventurer

Yes, it clicks.
Old 08-07-2012, 03:42 PM   #5
dialdn OP
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meeni View Post
The sidestand security switch is the next suspect I guess.
If this is the case would the bike not stall when I put it in gear? Bike drives fine.

D
Old 08-07-2012, 04:06 PM   #6
Spike38
Adventurer

Oddometer: 40
Won,t Start

Just went thru a similar problem 2011 R1200 GS Bike would not start then it would, delayed starts then it just would not start and this is on a road trip. Side stand switch was the problem and 145.00 later it started. So much for BMW warranty. I was miles from dealer and did not want to wait and ruin the trip. Roadside assistance. To make matters worse the new switch failed in 3 days, this time I was close to a dealer and was able to get the bike to them. Replaced the switch and off I go. Back home and was servicing the bike and the little clip that holds the switch to the kickstand bolt is about to fall off. Looked at it closer and without any effort it falls off. They had reused the old clip and it is all out of round. Called local dealer, said they could look at in three weeks . I have since repaired myself.again.
Sorry to say but after many years on a BMW and the dealer attitudes I have had enough
Spike38 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2012, 04:47 PM   #7
dialdn OP
Studly Adventurer

Removed clutch switch again and reinstalled. Plugged in a GS-911 and it showed a clutch switch fault but that may have occurred when I was trying to reset it. I cleared the faults and it did not come back. I looked at real time values and all switches are operational. So I tried starting it and sure enough, bike starts. I am going to carry the 911 to work and see if I can replicate the problem and read the fault when it happens. It is probably the clutch switch.

D
Old 08-07-2012, 05:38 PM   #8
Okie Preacher
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 793
Quote:
Removed clutch switch again and reinstalled. Plugged in a GS-911 and it showed a clutch switch fault but that may have occurred when I was trying to reset it. I cleared the faults and it did not come back. I looked at real time values and all switches are operational. So I tried starting it and sure enough, bike starts. I am going to carry the 911 to work and see if I can replicate the problem and read the fault when it happens. It is probably the clutch switch.

D
Mine would work intermittently as well...but ultimately died completely. Drove me nuts.
Okie Preacher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2012, 06:06 PM   #9
mini151
Adventurer

Oddometer: 52
Just because the clutch switch "clicks" don't assume it is ok. Mine did the same thing , clicked, but when I put an ohm meter on it the resistance was about 500ohms. Contacts were dirty and after cleaning with contact cleaner all is well. You have to removed and very carfully open switch to expose contacts for cleaning.
Old 08-08-2012, 08:31 AM   #10
BKFoster
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 164
My '09 Adv had the same issue. I did the clutch switch adjustment with no effect.

Turns out I had a broken wire about 4 inchs fron the switch under the plastic sheathing.

Solder, heat shrink, tape. Good as new.
BKFoster is offline   Reply With Quote