Mercedes

Oddometer: 601
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimco View Post
I found the owner. Details to follow.
Thanks for your help.
Jim

Great work Jim! and Kudos to you man.

What goes around comes around and I hope someone does some equally cool thing for you someday. Nice job!
S1
Old 08-06-2012, 01:58 AM   #32
Karlxx
Dirt Curious

Oddometer: 163
Great story, good on you. Just like the ones on my 04 GSA here in OZ.
Karlxx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2012, 02:33 AM   #33
Sanders
Stogiesuckingsinglemalter

Oddometer: 662
Good for you, taking the time and effort to find the unfortunate bloke. I know how he feels

Last edited by Temporal Security Agency: 8-25-2026 at 10:31 AM. Reason: Deleted unlawful reference to future history
Sanders is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2012, 07:53 AM   #34
LaurelPerryOnLand
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,415
Now THAT's a Rocky Mountain High...

Quote:
I found the owner. Details to follow.
Thanks for your help.
Jim
Glad you found the owner...can't wait to hear the full details.

Wish there was a "Jimco" following after all of us. Good on ya, mate!
LaurelPerryOnLand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2012, 07:10 PM   #35
jimco OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 105
Sluthing details

Here's the story. I have left out some details: owners name and the town he lives in.

If found a phone number on the battery pack and was able to determine the owners name from the answering machine message. But he didn't return my calls. The phone number was an east coast location based on the area code, but could be any where if it was a cell phone.

I think I mentioned there was some expensive electronic equipment in the pannier. I called electronic manufacturer and gave them the serial number. They were able to identify the owner, but didn't/wouldn't tell me (for obvious reasons). She said they would send me a prepaid UPS label and to print it out and ship just the electronics to them and they would ship it to the owner. I asked about the other items, but she was only concerned about the electronics

A couple days later I received an email with the prepaid label. The problem was the return address they used was owners address (east coast) instead of mine. They got the name wrong, too. This didn't make me feel very comfortable.

I did some more internet sluthing and found the owner also might live in a town in Colorado.

I rode to that town on Sunday and asked at a hotel if they knew owner. They said no, but go to the restaurant across the street and ask them. The workers at restaurant didn't know him. One of the customers recognized the name, but didn't know where he lived. I knew I was getting close. She suggested I look for the town cop as "he knows everybody."

I couldn't find the cop. So, I stopped in a bar with a live band and asked the bartender (it was loud!!). She said "Yeah, he bought my house" and walked away. I waited a few minutes while she waited on some paying customers and then asked if she knew his phone number. She said "No, but I'll tell you where he lives."

She gave me directions. I rode to the house and knocked on the door. A man came to the door and I said "Are you (his name)?" He said "Yes. Are you the guy who found my stuff?" The electronics manufacturer had called him to say somebody found his items. They also confirmed the address and name mix-up with him.

We talked for half an hour or so. He identified all the "stuff" in the pannier and I was convinced he was the owner. He also confirmed what I found out about him on the internet: where he previously lived and the phone number on the battery, wife's name, daughter's name.

I strapped the pannier to my bike and delivered it and the contents to him this morning. There was Nikon D700 camera and a brand new 24-300 zoom lens. The set up cost well over 4000$.

He was very glad to get it back.

It was fun sluthing around on the 'net. It is surprising what you can find out about people.

Thanks for your interest, kind words and help in finding the owner.
Jim
jimco is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2012, 07:16 PM   #36
def
Ginger th wonder dog

Oddometer: 9,235
Was he grateful or was he trailer trash or somewhere in between?

Sometimes, you go the extra mile and folks don't appreciate it....this country is going into the dumper.

You're a good person for all your efforts.

def is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2012, 07:26 PM   #37
David13
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 610
Good question.
Sounds like he was appreciative. He should have offered a reward. But it should not have been accepted.
Jimco.
I hope someone told you what the parallels are. Parallel twin 800 BMW motorcycles, engine made by Rotax in Austria. Oilheads are the older of the boxer models. They are two different universes.
dc
David13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2012, 07:27 PM   #38
FlatDarkGS
Master BS'er

Oddometer: 160
Quote:
Here's the story. I have left out some details: owners name and the town he lives in.

If found a phone number on the battery pack and was able to determine the owners name from the answering machine message. But he didn't return my calls. The phone number was an east coast location based on the area code, but could be any where if it was a cell phone.

I think I mentioned there was some expensive electronic equipment in the pannier. I called electronic manufacturer and gave them the serial number. They were able to identify the owner, but didn't/wouldn't tell me (for obvious reasons). She said they would send me a prepaid UPS label and to print it out and ship just the electronics to them and they would ship it to the owner. I asked about the other items, but she was only concerned about the electronics

A couple days later I received an email with the prepaid label. The problem was the return address they used was owners address (east coast) instead of mine. They got the name wrong, too. This didn't make me feel very comfortable.

I did some more internet sluthing and found the owner also might live in a town in Colorado.

I rode to that town on Sunday and asked at a hotel if they knew owner. They said no, but go to the restaurant across the street and ask them. The workers at restaurant didn't know him. One of the customers recognized the name, but didn't know where he lived. I knew I was getting close. She suggested I look for the town cop as "he knows everybody."

I couldn't find the cop. So, I stopped in a bar with a live band and asked the bartender (it was loud!!). She said "Yeah, he bought my house" and walked away. I waited a few minutes while she waited on some paying customers and then asked if she knew his phone number. She said "No, but I'll tell you where he lives."

She gave me directions. I rode to the house and knocked on the door. A man came to the door and I said "Are you (his name)?" He said "Yes. Are you the guy who found my stuff?" The electronics manufacturer had called him to say somebody found his items. They also confirmed the address and name mix-up with him.

We talked for half an hour or so. He identified all the "stuff" in the pannier and I was convinced he was the owner. He also confirmed what I found out about him on the internet: where he previously lived and the phone number on the battery, wife's name, daughter's name.

I strapped the pannier to my bike and delivered it and the contents to him this morning. There was Nikon D700 camera and a brand new 24-300 zoom lens. The set up cost well over 4000$.

He was very glad to get it back.

It was fun sluthing around on the 'net. It is surprising what you can find out about people.

Thanks for your interest, kind words and help in finding the owner.
Jim
You did a good thing. It doesn't surprise me though. BMW riders are a cut above! You a bigger pimp than Snoop Lion!
FlatDarkGS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2012, 07:32 PM   #39
jimco OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 105
Quote:
Originally Posted by def View Post
Was he grateful or was he trailer trash or somewhere in between?

Sometimes, you go the extra mile and folks don't appreciate it....this country is going into the dumper.

You're a good person for all your efforts.

def, he was very grateful. He suggested several times we should go for a ride. He is a very nice man and I would consider him a friend even though I've only know him a short time.

He appreciated my efforts. I agree on the dumper part, but if more people would do the right thing, I think things would turn around.

Thanks for the kind words.
Jim
jimco is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2012, 07:48 PM   #40
def
Ginger th wonder dog

Oddometer: 9,235
Quote:
def, he was very grateful. He suggested several times we should go for a ride. He is a very nice man and I would consider him a friend even though I've only know him a short time.

He appreciated my efforts. I agree on the dumper part, but if more people would do the right thing, I think things would turn around.

Thanks for the kind words.
Jim
You're right. I'm relieved. End of story.
def is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2012, 11:01 PM   #41
MIXR
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 663
An impressive effort

What a great story. You are what we call a 'good bloke' down here. Well done on the effort and I hope the bugger buys you a carton of beer or good bottle of scotch or a handfull of lottery tickets. Terrific ending.
Old 08-06-2012, 11:11 PM   #42
Teager
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 197
Good Job!!!!!!!!!!!!
Teager is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2012, 11:57 PM   #43
Knightwork
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 890
RISE SIR KNIGHT

COOL WORK
Later Knightwork

'09 R1200GSA (Frau Brueller)
Knightwork is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2012, 04:48 AM   #44
NoVa Rider
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,615
Well done!
NoVa Rider is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2012, 11:34 AM   #45
Dabears
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,179
Kudos to you for going the extra mile to find the guy.

2012 SYM HD200 Evo
2006 R1200GS
1980 Vespa P200E
Dabears is offline   Reply With Quote