User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-21-2012, 10:44 AM   #1
Jim B OP
n00b

Oddometer: 1
F800GS Sensitive Throttle

I am just getting into adventure riding with an F800GS. When I am standing on the pegs, sometimes I hit a rut or a rock that throws me backwards and I accidently torque the throttle a bit trying to maintain my balance. The bike then lurches ahead which throws me further backwards and I torque the throttle even more. The next thing I know, I am heading off into the bush doing my best impression of a starfish. I would really appreciate it if someone who has been through this could give me some advice that would help me solve this problem before I break something. Thanks Jim B
Jim B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2012, 11:28 AM   #2
itsatdm
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,565
Look in stickies Throttle fix options: Throttle Tamer, Accelerator Module & Power Controller
Old 07-25-2012, 06:40 AM   #3
CheckerdD
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,268
I felt the same way right after I bought my 2010. I did not modify anything. It went away when I got more used to riding the bike. In other words I naturally adjusted my grip to compensate for my body moving around on the bike. It's possible your off pavement technique has gotten a little sloppy. Your supposed to grab the tank with your knees, and balance your weight over the pegs by bending at the waist down to bring your center of gravety forward, up to bring it back, you not supposed to have to hang on to the handlebars for dear life. I am not being critical, but every bike takes a little getting used too. Dave
Old 07-25-2012, 04:09 PM   #4
itsatdm
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,565
I never could master the throttle modulation. Maybe I was just doing it wrong. But I could ride the same terrain with my KLX680 with its modded suspension without an issue, so I think it is the bike.

It is a combination of problems. A tall first gear, very lean fueling at low rpm. A front fork that does not deal very well with high speed compression.

If you ride mostly pavement, with the occasional dirt road that you can ride at 2,200 rpm and above, you may never think the bike has an issue.

If you have to ride through patches of baby head rocks slowly due to the quality of the front suspension giving harsh feed back that jars your ability to control the throttle, it is a problem.

I addressed all the issues over time. My current suspension is not cush, but good enough that the harsh feed back, is not so jarring that it effects my ability to modulate the throttle. It is good enough that I do not have to tip toe through the rocks and sharp edge potholes. I can carry enough speed so I am not in the lean off idle part of the throttle.

The fuel modules do richen up the throttle. In fact, I can actually lug the engine. If you can do that, it will give you the ability to load the engine at crawling speed without fear of it dying and won't immediately go into light switch mode. Good enough that the 15 tooth sprocket went back into the box. On typical fire roads I can actually use a 17 tooth for most roads as long as they are not steep switch backs. The stock 16 tooth is good enough for a wide range of terrain.

Before there were fuel module options, I bought a G2 thottle tube. That did help with unintended throttle imput. I left it on and now use it in combination with the module.

The end result is, I can ride terrain faster than I could before. Certainly faster than a stock bike. I know because I have ridden with others on stock bikes. It is not because I got better, it is because the bike is better.

I resprung the front and rear. I bought a Bitubo insert, because it was the first replacement cartridge tube. It has its problems, being a sealed unit with few people trained or have the equipment to repair, or revamp the the valving. What ever the valving is in that unit, it is not plush in the little stuff, but works pretty good when you pick up the speed. I bought an Ohlins spring to soften it up some.

It has lasted 2 years without a problem. My intent is to keep it as long as it last.

I don't know where others ride the bike. On sections of dirt, minus the rocks, stock is fine. It will deal with sand, It does not make much difference in soft terrain or mud, if you don't mind the wimpy springs. It does OK on ramped surfaces, such as a berm. It just was not good enough for where I ride.

Because of BMW's propensity to improve things without announcing the fact, I wonder if they have not made improvements over the years. Some time in the first 2 years, I got a software update. Certainly felt better at low rpm, just not as good as a module. It would not surprise me if they changed the valving. Nobody offered to fix my forks, but maybe BMW did something with that too.

I think improvement enough, that if I bought another F800gs, all those mods are coming off and onto the new bike.

itsatdm screwed with this post 07-25-2012 at 04:48 PM
itsatdm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2012, 05:40 PM   #5
HighTechCoonass
Living the Dream....

Oddometer: 2,453
Laugh The fix....

Been there done that! The trick is fuel enrichment... give the engine a little more fuel and it calms the beast. How you do that...drop the air box temperature. Thats it!

Why BMW doesn't do that ? .... the bike is tuned very lean to meet emissions standards.
Old 07-25-2012, 09:37 PM   #6
sorebutt
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,628
I put a ThrottleTamer on mine and it made a big difference. Just trying to cancel the turn signal would unintentionally move the throttle because of the sensitivity. I have never seen such a sensitive throttle. Another problem is the lack of return spring tension on the throttle. Most bikes have a little more tension on the throttle so you can feel when you move it. Just the friction of my glove would move the throttle.
sorebutt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2012, 06:05 AM   #7
scarygary
Drawing blanks

Oddometer: 363
I go back and forth riding my F800GS and my R80 ST. To say the throttle action are different would be an understatement. In order to make the F800 throttle action to feel the slightest bit "normal" on regular riding - around town, backroads, gravel roads etc... I have found that a combo of the HTCA and more importantly, a 17 tooth front sprocket to be the ticket. It is still not butter smooth but I do find that it is much more rideable. Especially when fine throttle control is required. I have not felt any lack of "rock crawling power" because my bike does not get into the situation to crawl rocks.

It is a cheap solution that does not require a longer chain and can be switched back to the 16t in the same amount of time it takes you to adjust your chain. + the time it takes to re/re the plastic countershaft cover.

Mine is a JT brand sprocket and sells for about $30
scarygary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2012, 11:21 PM   #8
Burner29
Adventurer

Oddometer: 26
Power Controler!!!!

Recently purchased and installed the "Power Controller" sold via this forum from HiTechCoonAss

BUY THE DAMN THING AND BE HAPPY!!! IT WORKS

Instant gratification, all I had to do was pull out of the driveway to notice the difference in throttle feel.

Without a doubt the best mod I've done to my bike yet.

J
Burner29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2012, 11:42 PM   #9
L.B.S.
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,174
If it's any consolation, the F800ST versions (or at least mine and quite a few other owners I talk to) have just as bad twitchy throttle/fueling issues.

On my Hondas, their EFI and throttle responses were/are spot on perfect, with no hiccups, twitches or any other signs of poor performance. And one of those, was motorcycling's very first EFI ever made, a CX500Turbo! That's 30 freaking years ago!!!

My brand new $$$ BMW? lol! It sucks!

:

Jim, stand with more of a body lean forward, arms more bent and less straight. Also, keep your right boot over the brake pedal! Not ON the pedal, do not accidently be riding around with the brake engaged, but much like keeping youself from looping your bike in wheelie gone wrong, a quick stab with your foot on the rear brake will do wonders to keep you from undesired forrays into the bushes, should you throttle jack yourself into that awful catch 22 of: *twitch* "Auugh, unwanted throttle! *More throttle* "Auugh, even more twitch!!" /repeat/repeat *bushes*
L.B.S. is offline   Reply With Quote