User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-27-2012, 10:53 AM   #16
Ratman OP
Lucky Rider

Oddometer: 1,103
On to Lake George

Yeah, only made iT to Creed Yesterday. Got rained on a bit a I crossed Wolf Creek Pass just before South Fork Co. Wolf Creek Pass is on the Spec meter at about a 10.

Moved on to Creed by 5PM. I started having starter solenoid problems as I started to leave Shiprock. I had to hit the starter button at least 25 times, then it started working the starter. I fought that the rest of the day with sometimes problems.

Rained on me a little heading toward Creed. I knew it would stop soon so I didn't rain gear up, but wondered if I'd made a mistake.

Pulled into a camp ground outside Creed. It looked rainy so I put up Repaldi's tent. It rained a bit before I was done, so I climbed inside and read some of the 'Last of the Mohikens' , Free, don't you know. Ha.

I was showing a guy at the campground my starter problem, but the starter worked perfectly. Cool, I thought. So I broke camp down and when I was ready to leave the solenoid only clicked, but no joy. Crap, just when I was loaded up to go.

So off with the side cover and out with the spare crap that I carry...oh, this looks like a pretty good one. It still had the fuse cover. I installed it with the 4" adjustable wrench that I carry in my pocket. Luck was with me...It worked perfectly....didn't even have to rebuild it. :)

So I was off in a thrice (whatever that is, maybe 15 minutes). On my way to Lake City 50 miles away. I had at least 65 miles worth of gas.

It's cloudy today and 70ish, almost cold as I climbed some passes. A couple times I wished I had my jacket. I was averaging 40 climbing thru the 2 passes. One at 11000 and the other, Slumgullion, at 11500. Both were beautimus. From Slumgullion Pass I could see Cinnamon & Engineers passes. They are 13000+ peaks, well above the tree line, with pink covered tops.

I'm hunkered down at a coffee shop mooching wifi and eating a 4$ cinnamon roll in Lake city. I'll be moving on to Lake George about noon.
p.ratfab@gmail.com

Ratman screwed with this post 12-16-2012 at 08:54 AM
Ratman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2012, 04:29 PM   #17
Ratman OP
Lucky Rider

Westfest at Lake George

I had a lazy 250 miles to do on Friday to get to Lake George. I chased rain away all the way and rarely got any on me...plenty of wet roads though. Temp running 65 to 75 depending on altitude. Seems like it should have been more that that as I topped Monarch Pass at 10500 (I think).
From CDR Colorado

I got to Lake George at 3pm....there were lots of riders already there, 50 to 75. There was lots of interest in the trailer, of course. One guy has a picture at home that a truck driver took as I passed him going home from the SMCedaredge Last month. Small world.

It sprinkled big drops at 4pm for 15 minutes. Of course it rained quite a bit just before I got there.

For dinner I'd picked up a large potato and Vienna Sausage in Lake George when I gassed up. It's not much of a town. I sliced the potato and put in my electro Thermos heater, and it was done 25 minutes later. The electro cooker is a keeper. There's still a fire ban in Co...even for camp stoves. Heh he...they can't see the flames on my alcohol stove so I still get my coffee in the morning.

Mucho bullshit was heard before dark....then I went to bed. That the third night that I've failed to fix the leak in my air mat...Grrr. I'm having to use the two 1' sq pieces of carpet pad as a substitute. It's a poor one.

........as I write this rain has begun to come down in Ernest from what I hear on the roof of the cowboys empty cuarters where they have allowed me to use the electricity. Pretty comphy. I'm also hearing wet riders return from their rides.

Speaking of which I took a test ride to see if my roll charts could get me thru the CDR. Thing look good. My scroll chart took me 55 miles to the top of the Georgia Pass, 11585. Here's a pic of the next 1000 feet from standing at the Pass
From CDR Colorado

I turned around and went back to camp from there on Terryall Rd, between Jefferson and Lake George. It a 40 mile half pot holed paved road, but it's got some beautiful hills to gander at.
From CDR Colorado

They had some bullshitters even back then. That old lady could string word together with the best of them.
From CDR Colorado

Best shot of the day...
From CDR Colorado

It's 5 pm and I'm an eighth of a mile from my tent with out rain gear, and it's raining like Hell. I could stay in the cowboy lounge all night, but I see there's no crapper and those urges are working themselves
to the forefront. :( I may have run out of luck.

BTW, the first day on Tubeless tire con noodle was a success.
p.ratfab@gmail.com
Old 07-30-2012, 08:16 AM   #18
ROAD DAMAGE
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 839
WestFest

Hi Pete,

Great to meet you and put a face with a name! I enjoyed visiting with you and checking out your "toyhauler". You've got some serious fabrication and problem solving skills.

Hope your trip to Westcliffe and then on to Antelope Wells has gone well. Did you ever meet up with Bob in Westcliffe? Ride safe, stay dry and I'll see you again in Silverton for RMAR.

Road Damage ------ Rob

ps Pete, I've got an extra inflatable sleeping bag pad ..... you want it? If so, I'll bring it to RMAR.

ROAD DAMAGE screwed with this post 07-30-2012 at 10:07 AM
ROAD DAMAGE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2012, 09:01 PM   #19
Ratman OP
Lucky Rider

Quote:
Originally Posted by ROAD DAMAGE View Post
Hi Pete,

Great to meet you and put a face with a name! I enjoyed visiting with you and checking out your "toyhauler". You've got some serious fabrication and problem solving skills.

Hope your trip to Westcliffe and then on to Antelope Wells has gone well. Did you ever meet up with Bob in Westcliffe? Ride safe, stay dry and I'll see you again in Silverton for RMAR.

Road Damage ------ Rob

ps Pete, I've got an extra inflatable sleeping bag pad ..... you want it? If so, I'll bring it to RMAR.

Nice meeting you too, Rob. No never met Bob in Westville, and I looked for 5 minutes for a quanset hut at an intersection. My air mat is working now, thanks.

So I left Westville this morning (Monday), and took the Medano Pass, (souhern end of the 'Sangre De Cristo range'), to the Great Sand Dunes Natl Monument. I'm holed up in Grants NM....more than half way to Antelope wells. I scarfed up a 29$ motel room with wifi. I needed to get some messages out.

Medano Pass is a bit rugged, although I didn't have any trouble with the road, I did have some with a water crossing. It was the last one going west just before the dunes.

The other dozen crossing all ranged a ft to 18" deep. The last one was wider, about 50+ ft, and I couldn't see the bottom. Being a Calif guy, I don't know much about water crossings.

I figured it looked iffy, but I had to cross it....after all the road went into it. Well I got 30 feet in before the 3 ft of water got in the air box and shut off the power.

I didn't drop it but I was in a mess. Luckily my clutch starter shut off is disconnected. I was able to use the starter to get it within about 10 ft of land.....then it started to tip over. I finally got it back upright but now the starter isn't working, seemed dead.

I put the kickstand down and unloaded the bike. I figured I'll have to muscle the thing the rest of the way out of the water. So as I put it in nutral the nutral light came on. Well, that means their is still battery and it's making a connection. Whap, up side the head. In my thrashing to right the bike, I'd hit the kill switch.

So the starter did get it the rest of the way out of the water. A quick screw driver in the spark plug showed that I had spark. I noticed the carb or air box is dripping, so I took the airbox apart and let the cup of water in there out.

From there I was able to clear the cylinder with some full throttle cranking, and nurse the bike back to life. Whew! I was happy to hear it running again.

About this time a couple rangers showed up. They were there to tear up the beaver dam that had caused the high water level. Oh, so that why that crossing was a lot deeper than the others. Who would of thunk of looking there for it?

........another case of live and learn.
From July 28, 2012
p.ratfab@gmail.com
Old 07-31-2012, 04:11 PM   #20
Ratman OP
Lucky Rider

To Animas NM

On Tue, Jul 31, 2012 at 8:54 AM, L D Walker <ldw@centurytel.net> wrote:
Darn Pete, I thought the loose sand would be the worst obstacle, had no idea as dry as the area has been that the water crossings would even have a drop of water in them. Glad to hear you made it through.
I did biff once in the sand. That sand is as bad as any I've seen. In fact, since you said that you took the 4X4 surbuban thru there I figured it was mostly a graded road with some sand on it. Boy, was I wrong.

A little ways from my biff site, I came onto these guys. Two 4s and a 5. It was near all the campers so they were used to people.....still I got all excited.
From July 28, 2012

BTW there was a 3.5 or 4 just up the road from your drive, LD, when I left Monday morning.

I think I lost my phone in the biff....I also had to pick my camera up out of the sand. It took about 10 more then the zoom frose up so that camera is toast.

I was worried about my backup camera getting wet in the stream, but all else survived....so I'm still taking pictures.

I'm in Lordsburg now having a McDouble for dinner. I'll load up in a few minutes and head down Animas St (dirt road) to Animas.

The site seeing today has been good...only got a little wet.
--
p.ratfab@gmail.com
Old 07-31-2012, 06:27 PM   #21
Gale B.T.
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,416
We are with you Pete, so have a great trip and never hesitate to check in here if you have any challenges that we can help with .

Loving the RR, you are doing a great job, the best of luck.

ciao,gale
Gale B.T. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2012, 09:14 AM   #22
Ratman OP
Lucky Rider

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gale B.T. View Post
We are with you Pete, so have a great trip and never hesitate to check in here if you have any challenges that we can help with .

Loving the RR, you are doing a great job, the best of luck.

ciao,gale
Thanks, Gale, it gives my confidence knowing you guys are out there.
p.ratfab@gmail.com
Old 08-01-2012, 09:31 AM   #23
Ratman OP
Lucky Rider

Antelope Wells

I'm at a MDs in Deming NM. I made it to Antelope Wells at 8pm Tuesday night (last night....then back to Hachita by 9pm. It's only 45 miles back to Hachita, but did half of that in the dark with lots of free range cattle. Only one close call as I was driving 45mph.

Also got stopped by border patrol because my tail light was out....must have jiggled out a filament....brake lite still works.

Last night on Animas ST out of Lordsburg I was tooling along at about 50. It's generally a 2 lane gravel road for 35 miles to Animas. There are a bunch of 3 to 5 ft dips that handles the rain in the area....all smooth in and out....except one. That one was 5 or 6 ft deep with a 1' washout going into 15 ft of soft sand. I needed to be going 5mph and just barely got it whoed down in time. Whew!

When I got back to Hachita, I pulled behind the defunct community center and put down my ground cloth and my 2 carpet pads and went to sleep....prolly 75 degrees at the time. I used my coat for a blanket, and the sleeves as a pillow. It was't optimal. :)

About 3am I woke up and pulled half the ground cloth over my legs....there, Perfect.

I got up at 6:30am and left the dying town of Hachita. I headed for Gage on I-10 for gas. Took 2.75 gal for 140 miles. Last gas was Animas. After coffee and gas at Gage, I tried to go cross country on dirt roads toward Mimbres, but after 20 miles of screwing around with locked gates, I gave up and am picking up HWY 180 in Deming. Then I'll go to Mimbres. I hope to be in Pie Town tonight.

An old coot in the MD that I was talking to is driving a 2005 two door Honda Ensight Hybride. He says it gets 176 miles per gallon, and they don't make that model and more....now they make a 4 dr that gets 50ish. Is he bullshitting me?

Speaking of mileage, I'm getting high 50s at 55mpg. I've spent the last 400 miles caibrating my bicycle speedo with mile markers. Bicycle speedo come with a preset at wheel dia of 2124 somethings. My setting turned out to be 2037 for precise.

Now I should feel pretty confident with the mileages on my roll chart.

I'll be on the trail soon...more later....BTW the Deming MD has plug in power at several booths. That the first I've seen.

From July 28, 2012

From July 28, 2012

From July 28, 2012

From July 28, 2012

From July 28, 2012
p.ratfab@gmail.com

Ratman screwed with this post 12-16-2012 at 11:03 AM
Old 08-01-2012, 10:10 AM   #24
Gramp-Z
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 767
Great report Ratman ! I still have a year or so until retirement , but am taking notes of how its done . Now you have me thinking of a trailer to pull behind my Sabre to put a small bike on for single track . Good luck and have fun , I will be following along .
Old Man plays with his Wee
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=608068
Gramp-Z is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2012, 11:24 PM   #25
Ratman OP
Lucky Rider

Deming to Cuba

So I left you guys when I was in Deming NM. I was just ready to actually start some dirt riding of the CDR. I asked a couple local coots about gas in some of the small towns along the way. There used to be 3 places that had gas...but no longer. It looks like the mileage without gas is 220 or 230

Seems like I have 4 usable gallons and a one gallon can that I'm carrying. I'm getting in the high 50s for mileage. So I should have plenty if I don't get lost. In the early part of the trip just north of Mimbres, I ran into a ranger station. The day before, about 40 miles east ,some dirt roads were closed due to work required by earlier fires. I imagined it might be true where I was going today.

I was in luck, all the roads where I was going were open....and furthermore another rider on a G650 BMW was at the ranger station looking for info also. We talked a bit and decided to ride together.

Now the lucky part is that Mr BMW is a New Mexico native about 50 years old, and knows more about the area than I could have hoped for. He was all GPS equipped with the actual CDR programed in. All I had to do was keep up. So Off we went.

The first part was a gravel road that climbed a mtn. That creates mega corduroy. The bikes do corduroy just fine, but it isn't fun. That may have been 5% of the ride.

Another thing about New Mexico is that lots of it soil is so slick when wet that it is unrideable....and that is no shit. It's unrideable by any bike no mater how small or how good a rider you are. We encountered one section that was 20 feet long, and probably would have dropped us, if it had been 30 ft long. That was the only close call.

We dodged rain all day. The monsoon rains were more west of us yesterday and more north today. There were a couple of washouts with water in the bottoms and muddy work arounds. Pat, Beemer guy, decided to go thru the mud, but if he had to put his feet down (short legs), they would just sink in mud. So at the worst part I stood there to steady the bike. He struggled thru with some wheel spin. You guessed it....I got spattered with mud up to my belt, and more mud inside my boots. No matter, I wasn't going out to dinner. :)

I chose the other side thru the grass which worked better. We had one more of those washouts with water and a half dozen that were dry. Lots of spec 10 scenery.

210 miles from last gas in Deming to where we camped last night at a free forest campground. It was 25 miles further in the morning to Quemado for gas and breakfast. Then we went to Pie Town to start the next section to Grants. That was a 90 Mile 'ho hum' of fast dirt and faster Pavement.

Once we left Grants it got good. It's all about the rains up there and we had none today or yesterday. That is big luck if you are riding the CDR. It was only 120 miles or so to Cuba NM. The going was slow do to just enough sand to make the corners slippery and it was all corners, but generally not difficult.

So here's some of what we saw today....and some of yesterday.

From July 28, 2012

From July 28, 2012

Pat has cell service...
From July 28, 2012
From July 28, 2012

From July 28, 2012

Pat models more spectacular country...
From July 28, 2012

Camping at Quemado Lake
From July 28, 2012

On the way to Pie Town near Wall Lake..
From July 28, 2012
p.ratfab@gmail.com

Ratman screwed with this post 12-16-2012 at 11:27 AM
Old 08-03-2012, 04:52 AM   #26
HeadShrinker
Lost for a Reason

Oddometer: 1,313
Great ride report. I met Pat on top of Ophir a while back. He's a legend. Keep it coming!
HeadShrinker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2012, 05:57 AM   #27
Ratman OP
Lucky Rider

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gramp-Z View Post
Great report Ratman ! I still have a year or so until retirement , but am taking notes of how its done . Now you have me thinking of a trailer to pull behind my Sabre to put a small bike on for single track . Good luck and have fun , I will be following along .
Thanks, Gramp-z for riding along with me. I'm sure retirement (and your Sabre) will treat you right. See you down the road.

Pete
p.ratfab@gmail.com
Old 08-03-2012, 06:01 AM   #28
Ratman OP
Lucky Rider

Quote:
Originally Posted by HeadShrinker View Post
Great ride report. I met Pat on top of Ophir a while back. He's a legend. Keep it coming!
I'm learning all about the west. I agree, Pat should be one if he isn't already.
p.ratfab@gmail.com
Old 08-03-2012, 09:25 AM   #29
vermin
unrepentant thinner

Oddometer: 539
rat on rat action

So I meet two blokes in a bar in Divide, Co. They are the rough and ready types, still young enough and stupid enough to be entertaining. Come to find out they are headed to Westfest too and they know where it is.

So we haul ass down the road, me on my piece of shit and them on their ratted out beatdown KLRs. Mind you its raining and 50 degrees and these boys are wearing mesh riding gear.

We come up on the dirt section of the program they are doing much bettern me because i am on a 800 pound rig with no suspension but i keep up.

We slither into camp and the mob immediately surrounds my bike and starts taking pictures. No problem she is an attention whore, i set up my tent while cack does her thing.

I finally saunter over and with much aplomb start spewing nonsense from my blather hole.

"ya know what huddled masses? I am filled with abundant self loathing and feel I have done nothing right in 10 years but I gotta say my two handlebars and throttles are absolutely unique. There is 7 billion people on earth and so every idea you have has already been had by at least 1,258 other people. But ladies and gentledudes i reckon this here handlebar get up is absolutely unique on this planet.

Thank you very much i am in fact, contrary to my life long inferiority complex, a genius. I am available for autographs, inspirational quotes and motivational speech rallys."

At which point I look over at Ratmans sabre and see two sets of handlebars (cue balloon deflating noises).

It gets worse.

Ratman informs me that my old buddy Tomblum had sent me photos of that very arrangement previously.

So not only did i not have a unique idea I actually plagerized it from another stank genius.

The Frightning part

I truly believe him and I have absolutely no recollection. I have 4 remainin connected brain cells, one of which twitchs spasmodically when I look at his setup so I am sure he is correct.

HOW HUMILIATING

I drank a couple tall boy coors to make the spasmodic twitching stop and went to bed knowing i was in the presence of Rat Nobility.

you gotta see his trailer to believe it.
vermin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2012, 12:24 PM   #30
Gale B.T.
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,416
Great awaking there Verm, now to make things right with Ratman , you should ride Cack down to Chama and then the two of you ride the parts of CDT from La Manga Pass/Platoro to say Salida together, that will be movie material.

For sure I just may hightail it up to Summitville and see if I can witness the above HAPPENING!

ride smart,gale
Gale B.T. is offline   Reply With Quote