Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Old's Cool > Airheads
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-21-2012, 08:29 PM   #1
batoutoflahonda OP
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,347
modern tires and mounting with spoons. What happened?

A pet peeve of mine has become mounting modern tires. I've been spooning on my own tires for a loooong time. I remember pretty much getting them on most of the way by hand. Any more they seem to get 3/4 of the way on and the bead is straight across the upper three quarter part of the rim. And solid. Is it just me or have others noticed this?

Any way, I don't care what tire is the greatest flavor of the day, I just want one I can fix by the side of the road with out drama.

So I ask you, people of the airheads, what you got?

Save lives. Legalize lane sharing.

Cow eyes don't glow.
batoutoflahonda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2012, 09:09 PM   #2
Stagehand
+/- V TDSPP

Oddometer: 23,466
Kind of agree, but I havent been changing tires forever or anything. ANd the tires I put on the PD are probably the wrong ones. THey are not expecting to see a tubeless rim with such a high shelf outside.

I have better luck with the G450X rims, actually, but still pop the shit out of the tubes given any opportunity.

Going to try that tube-half-inflated idea next chance I get which is... oh shit... this week
Old 07-21-2012, 09:29 PM   #3
hardwaregrrl
You talkin' to me?

Oddometer: 6,333
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stagehand View Post

Going to try that tube-half-inflated idea next chance I get which is... oh shit... this week
This is really the easiest way!!!
hardwaregrrl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2012, 09:34 PM   #4
supershaft
because I can

Oddometer: 7,580
I have been changing a lot of tires for a long time. I don't have a tire machine at my own shop. I haven't noticed anything different in the way new tires mount over how they did 20 or 30 years ago.
supershaft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2012, 01:06 AM   #5
Padmei
enamoured

Oddometer: 3,152
Quote:
Originally Posted by batoutoflahonda View Post
A they seem to get 3/4 of the way on and the bead is straight across the upper three quarter part of the rim. And solid. Is it just me or have others noticed this?

Yes me & it pisses me off I have to take my fronts to the shop to change. Even then the mechs are smacking the things to get them right.
If I get a flat out in the field i am screwed.

(incidently I have 2 flat fronts on 2 different bikes this weekend - I'm beginnning to suspect my compressor head)
Padmei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2012, 06:01 AM   #6
WRC51
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 430
I also have had this problem. This is on a KLR(sorry) with Shinko 705s the bead is nearly impossible to break. But when broken they spoon on and off pretty easy, I have been doing my own tires for years and never seen beads this hard to break, But I have also never seen tires that say they can be used tube or tubeless. Anyway yeah Id be screwed tring to break a bead along side the road.(It would be a nice show for the cars passing by)
WRC51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2012, 06:05 AM   #7
Foot dragger
singletracker

Oddometer: 11,018
Quote:
Originally Posted by supershaft View Post
I have been changing a lot of tires for a long time. I don't have a tire machine at my own shop. I haven't noticed anything different in the way new tires mount over how they did 20 or 30 years ago.
+1,tires is tires,take the time and do it right and it can be done. Do it wrong and its an all day misery
Old 07-22-2012, 06:10 AM   #8
Stagehand
+/- V TDSPP

Oddometer: 23,466
Quote:
Originally Posted by hardwaregrrl View Post
This is really the easiest way!!!
Read it a number of times
Old 07-22-2012, 06:50 AM   #9
Rucksta
Chronic Noob

Oddometer: 2,494
I think its the rims.

I did a puncture repair on an excel rim and now I know what the fuss is all about.
WM profile Akronts on my G/S are easy as and only the last quarter needs a lever then a quick one, two with two levers for the last bit.
Been that way for 30 years and have seen tyres come and go some are easier some are harder but they all go on.
Old 07-22-2012, 07:21 AM   #10
Bill Harris
Confirmed Curmudgeon

Oddometer: 4,920
Tires have gotten more difficult to change. I think it's because most tires nowadays are Tubeless, with stiffer beads (and maybe sidewalls). And of course, we're all getting stiffer with age.

I think that longer Tire Irons help ( I have a pair of the 16" by Motion-Pro with a nice recurve'd tip) and using real-live Tire Lubricant (Ru-Glide) help a lot.
Old 07-22-2012, 07:53 AM   #11
daveoneshot
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 341
I'll go with Bill Harris on this one.......we're getting older and stiffer. Sometimes I sweat my ass off mounting a tire with
a tube, other times the work happens easily. But I never get anybody else to mount my tires.
daveoneshot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2012, 08:13 AM   #12
Wirespokes
Beemerholics Anonymous

Oddometer: 7,662
Funny you should ask...

Changed a front tire yesterday on a friend's 1999 R1100S. New Dunlop.

Got the first side on, but the second wouldn't go more than 2/3 of the way without a major struggle!

With the tire lubed the tire iron just wants to slide back, like running on a treadmill. One step forward, slide back to GO, one step forward...

Finally had to use C Clamps to hold my position and gain a couple inches each bite.

I've had problems with Dunlops before so stay away from them, and it's one of the reasons I like the Bridgestones - lots easier to install than some of the other brands.

As for our airhead wheels, some tires are easier than others, and some not so easy. But I have found that tire lube eliminates the hassle of airing up a tubeless tire after installation. It used to be my compressor didn't always pop em on the bead (air leaking out faster than going in), but now I use a hand pump. Same with the 11S yesterday - the hand pump did it, but it took something like 80 lbs to get it all the way on!

My LS took something like 30 or 35lbs to pop on the bead in comparison.
Old 07-22-2012, 08:23 AM   #13
lkchris
Albuquerque

Oddometer: 956
The ultimate solution is to find tires that are still made tube-type only.

This means, of course, importing them from Europe in most cases.

If you think in 2012 that many tire manufacturers are interested in 30-year-old motorcycles, you're mistaken.

Somebody should start a business around this.
lkchris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2012, 09:52 AM   #14
batoutoflahonda OP
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,347
I agree on the Dunlop. I really like them but quit using them even on my dirt bikes because they were such a pain. Yeah, I think the big deal is most manufactures now gear towards non tube type. Even if it says tube type, I haven't seen much difference, here in the states any way, between the two. The stiffer beads make the tire seem like it's a size too small.

I'll look into the European tube tires. All I can say is the Avon I mounted yesterday was real chore. Maybe in the future when folks post tire opinions they well say how mounting them goes. Till then, ugh.

'C' clamps. Wow. I had a Dunlop 606 on my Honda XR600 I thought I was going to have to cut to get it off the rim. I feel your pain. Wear safety glasses.

Save lives. Legalize lane sharing.

Cow eyes don't glow.

batoutoflahonda screwed with this post 07-22-2012 at 09:59 AM
batoutoflahonda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2012, 10:28 AM   #15
hardwaregrrl
You talkin' to me?

Oddometer: 6,333
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stagehand View Post
Read it a number of times
Amazing how much I've learned from Ned....I learned to put more air in the tube than I think I need, and it solved my pinch problems. I have to remind myself that if I'm trying too hard to push the bead over the rim, I've done something wrong like let the other side slide up out of the dish. Also, my new habit is a little monkey butt in the tire helps keep it from sticking and folding. I've had problems breaking beads on all Shinko tires.....really need another bike and use the sidestand as the breaker. It's always been a 2 person job breaking shinko beads for me. Watch your rotors!
hardwaregrrl is offline   Reply With Quote