Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Ride reports
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-21-2012, 10:03 PM   #46
Comrade Art
Working stiff

Oddometer: 492
Enjoyed reading your adventure and glad you made it safe to Hanoi.
Riding a motorcycle in Vietnam is not for the faint of heart.
Good on you for helping the Nguyen Nga Center

"All human beings by nature desire to know" - Aristotle
Comrade Art is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2012, 12:36 PM   #47
KMC1
There is no spoon.

Oddometer: 2,254
So how'd you guys make out? Not stuck in the Hanoi Hilton still are ya?

An Overview of the United States National Debt: http://www.davemanuel.com/us-national-debt-clock.php
KMC1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2012, 12:11 AM   #48
SteveMc181 OP
Adventure Bound!

Oddometer: 34
Yep, all made it out OK! Back home now and will be updating some pics etc over the coming days. Mick was on a seperate flight to us and got majorly hassled by customs in Vietnam, 12 of them with an interpreter going through his luggage, clothing seams, body x-ray the whole shebang! When he asked why they said it was because he was a male traveling in Vietnam alone!

On his arrival in Australia the same thing at customs again! Looked through all his camera pics etc, they also said it was because he was a single male traveling from Vietnam! The rest of us cruised through customs no problem.

Had an awesome time, so will sit down on the weekend and upload some more details.
I have another adventure coming up on the 29th September, however this one is on foot trekking through the jungles of Borneo for Greenpeace with my partner. Should be safer in the jungle than on Highway 1 Vietnam I think!

SteveMc181 screwed with this post 09-01-2012 at 11:47 PM
SteveMc181 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2012, 11:01 AM   #49
woody's wheel works
Built to Last

Oddometer: 3,307
chao cac ong!!! toi da o saigon mot thang vua qua!

hey there and G'day my good mates,

,just returned from a months stay in Saigon,,,did a few days in Vung Tau via hydro-foil an hour n half ride down the Saigon river,,turn north and Voila we were there...

so , i see what i missed,,,unfortunately i was so burned out from galavanting all over Europe and the Mediterranean for the prior two months..visiting family n friends..

perused your entire thread and journey,,i KNOW what traffic is like in HCMC,,

simply put : Ya snooze ,,ya lose!!,,having balls of steel don't hurt either:>)

look,,you have one of my favorite inmates and co-conspirators down the road in Perth in transforming the ST1200 Super Tenere into this jewel:

here's his thread:
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=595933

and here's my thread about my part:
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=759952

look him up,,he's from Perth too!!! tell him i said hi!!,,Looking forward to meeting up with you all when i head down under to work on another collaborative project.,,

and if ya haven't seen this video,,,well ya should ,,because i have a sense you guys lived it

''What do people live for??''
,,, to dream!!

enjoy..
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IREOSB3Eem8

woody
....Wanna e-mail us... woodyswheelworks@gmail.com
......Wanna talk,,,call us
toll free... 1-866-936-0232
........If you're lost???... GPS = 39*40'33.86N x 104*59'54.69W

woody's wheel works screwed with this post 09-17-2012 at 02:00 AM
woody's wheel works is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2012, 05:18 PM   #50
Scubalong
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 700
Amazing........

Thanks for sharing the story and pictures, it is an Epic trip for sure. Glad you all make it home safe.
Scubalong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2012, 11:20 AM   #51
KMC1
There is no spoon.

Oddometer: 2,254
Quote:
Originally Posted by woody's wheel works View Post
Holy crap that's a good looking tenere! Wow! .

Can't wait to hear how the rest of the trip went!

An Overview of the United States National Debt: http://www.davemanuel.com/us-national-debt-clock.php
KMC1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2012, 12:14 AM   #52
SteveMc181 OP
Adventure Bound!

Hi Woody, awesome looking bike you have there! Sure could have a used a few of those in Vietnam!

I am in the process of editing some video and will be uploading the 2nd days ride later tonight hopefully. We shot over 70 hours of footage so I have a fair bit of work in sorting it all out.

Unfortunately we had camera problems on the 1st day's ride from Ho Chi Minh to Vung Tau, so missed that part. The first of our Video's will be from Vung Tau to Dalat, around 320km's which took us over 9 hours with bike problems etc.
Most of the road was ok for the first 150km's with reasonably light traffic. This soon deteriorates into a potholed mess, Man! I wish had a bike with suspension and front brakes that actually work!

Just uploading a hi-def video to Vimeo that is fairly large in file size, over 500mb at around 15 Minutes. Most of the uploads will be from the Ion Air Pro Wifi camera due to it shooting HD natively in MP4 format.
The other camera is a no name ebay job that shoots in AVI, so I need to convert these first before I can edit in Sony Vegas. The first video is around 6 or 7 hrs of footage trimmed down to 15 minutes, as we tried to keep the camera's rolling as much as possible.

Most of the video's I'll try to keep the size a bit smaller so I can upload them faster. Bear with me all, I am working on it as fast as I can!
Old 08-31-2012, 12:20 AM   #53
Mike_drz
Banned

Oddometer: 402
Mike_drz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2012, 04:28 PM   #54
SteveMc181 OP
Adventure Bound!

Video Ride Day 2:

Finally got my vid uploaded to Vimeo. This gives a good overview of the trip from Vung Tau to Dalat. Some good roads and light traffic in here until we get about half way through. We noticed that the roads seem to deteriorate when in the small towns. I'm not sure, but at a guess I'd say each local town is responsible for their own maintenance of that section and it depends on how much money they have as to the road conditions?

We had a few drama's along the way that weren't captured on cam, like the issue with Johns gear change. This cost us an hour or more getting sorted, and then we spent a fair bit of time on Micks Daelim at the end of the video, trying to sort it and then stripping parts from it to use on Johns bike once we found the engine was totally seized up.

The Route:

Please note: The odd bit of swearing can be heard on this vid, but we are all grown ups here right?

Vietnam: VungTau - Dalat from Steve on Vimeo.

SteveMc181 screwed with this post 08-31-2012 at 11:22 PM
Old 09-01-2012, 03:35 AM   #55
SteveMc181 OP
Adventure Bound!

Video Ride Day 3

Todays ride was from Dalat to Nha Trang, around 140km's of very nice riding. Mick and John were reasonably happy now that we had disposed of the two troublesome Daelims and bought two brand new Surfat Trail bikes. I'm sure they appreciated having suspension that worked anyway! Richard rode one of the new Surfats until we were out on the open roads, then John took over and had a chance to get used to his new bike.

The ride today was through some awesome country with lots of nice mountain roads and very little traffic. We had a late start due to getting the new bikes etc organised and got away a bit after midday. The camera card was full before we made it to Nha Trang so the vid ends a few km's before we arrive. All in all it was one of the best rides and my only wish was for a nice sport bike on the twisties!

Dalat - Nha Trang from Steve on Vimeo.

Old 09-02-2012, 01:40 AM   #56
SteveMc181 OP
Adventure Bound!

Video: Ride day 4:Nha Trang - Quy Nhon

Today's ride was another awesome ride mostly along the coast. This ride was around 220km's and 6 hrs with breaks. Nha trang and Quy Nhon are both very beautiful coastal towns and well worth a visit.

Hope you enjoy the Vid

Vietnam: Nha Trang - Quy Nhon from Steve on Vimeo.

Old 09-04-2012, 06:41 AM   #57
SteveMc181 OP
Adventure Bound!

Video Ride Day 5:Quy Nhon to Kon Tum

Todays ride was back into the mountains heading towards the Ho Chi Minh Trail. We covered around 250km's. The video ends about 50km's from Kon Tum as I hadn't downloaded the memory cards the night before and ran out of space :(

We traveled off the highway as much as we could and went through some very traditional villages, awesome ride once again with no bike problems and light traffic mostly.

Quy Nhon - Kontum from Steve on Vimeo.

Old 09-04-2012, 10:14 AM   #58
prsdrat
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 626
Thanks, I've enjoyed the ride. 'Nam was were my generation lived and
died. By the luck of the draw, I rotated out in July of '63. Luck is good.
Old 09-05-2012, 11:08 PM   #59
Comrade Art
Working stiff

Oddometer: 492
Enjoyed the mountain scenery with Pink Floyd

"All human beings by nature desire to know" - Aristotle
Comrade Art is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2012, 06:30 PM   #60
SteveMc181 OP
Adventure Bound!

Video Ride Day 6: Kontum-Da Nang

This was an awesome ride from up in the mountains along the Ho Chi Minh Trail and down to Da Nang on the coast. We covered around 300km's today, so it was a long day in the saddle once again. Some great roads and great scenery along the way.

I noticed this morning that my chain was clicking severely when wheeling the bike backwards, on closer inspection we found the sprockets were knackered, so decided we would change them out once in Da Nang. We arrived in Da Nang at around 4:00pm and with some help from the hotel staff we arranged for new front and rear sprockets and chain and also an oil change for all 4 bikes. All for the sum of around $50.00 (1 Million Dong) TOO Cheap!

Then we set about having quite a few drinks in the Hotel Beer garden right across from China Beach, Very Nice spot!

Kontum - Da Nang from Steve on Vimeo.

Once again we ran out of camera battery and card space before reaching our destination! All in all a great ride though!