Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-26-2012, 09:04 AM   #16
Nanabijou OP
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 694
Quote:
Originally Posted by bungie4 View Post
Great job Mike!

I managed to do my ride up to Thunder Bay on the Canada Day long weekend. I rode my FJR though, not the CBR. I still haven't gotten around to fitting some side/tail bags to the CBR. I rode from Sudbury to Rainbow Falls Campground (2 thumbs up!) near Rossport. Spent the night yacking it up with a couple of HD guys from Dryden. Next morning, rode to Terry Fox Memorial and onto Kakebeka Falls. I think I was there about 2.5 minutes. Turned around and headed for Terrace Bay where I spent the night. Monday it was from Terrace Bay on home.

The scenery over Superior never disappoints especially between Marathon and Nipigon. I don't know wtf, but I counted 19 police cars between Terrace Bay and Marathon on Monday morning, really?!. I also saw the largest black bear I've ever seen in my life, and I've seen more than a few. Apparently, black bears mate with Buicks north of Superior.

I know I was supposed to give you a shout but as it was, I didn't get home well into the evening on Monday night. Next, fo sho.
Hey Steve - yes - you should have given me a shout! I was here! So do you have a trip report forthcoming?

Mike
Nanabijou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2012, 07:07 PM   #17
neo1piv014
ADV in training

Oddometer: 619
Quite the shopping list there. I love the idea of a tent that doesn't need a separate rainfly to stay dry. That alone would be worth a ton of money on every camping trip I've ever been on with rain. How much of your saddle bag space was taken up with just sleeping gear? Most of the time, when I've taken the bike camping, my little Fieldsheer Expander saddlebags were almost entirely used up with clothes, food, and beer, so there wouldn't have been much space for extra sleeping material.
"The impossible often has a kind of integrity which the merely improbable lacks."
neo1piv014 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2012, 08:23 AM   #18
CMS
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 260
trip

Great trip,writing and pictures! In follwing your write up I felt as if I took the trip also. I'm an avid rider of smaller CC bikes [TU250X and GZ250 both Suzukis]. Lookig forward to my first trip this year in August. Will use the GZ as its more of a pack mule than the TU. The TU 's engine is the better of the two [IMO, both 250s] . Have read about the popular Honda 125/150 that you own ,although not ava in the States its seems to be a very good seller for Honda in the World market. The CBR 250 that is ava in the US looks very good to me. Did I catch you have a 250 now? Hope you post future trips, CMS
VSRI
CMS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2012, 02:01 AM   #19
KLRmonkey
Adventurer

Oddometer: 66
Thumb

Thanks for sharing, especially the info on your setup. Never been up that way,
but great scenery. Added to my ever growing list!
KLRmonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2012, 01:37 PM   #20
Nanabijou OP
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by neo1piv014 View Post
Quite the shopping list there. I love the idea of a tent that doesn't need a separate rainfly to stay dry. That alone would be worth a ton of money on every camping trip I've ever been on with rain. How much of your saddle bag space was taken up with just sleeping gear? Most of the time, when I've taken the bike camping, my little Fieldsheer Expander saddlebags were almost entirely used up with clothes, food, and beer, so there wouldn't have been much space for extra sleeping material.
The Nemo Moki tent compresses quite small - about 10"x10" - it fits in one of my saddlebags. It takes up about 2/3rds of the saddlebag. The other saddlebag contains my Nemo air mattress. It takes up about 1/3 of the saddlebag. I just checked the sleeping bag and it takes up about 1/2 of the available space in the tailbag (including the poles). The cot sits on the outside. Out of all of my gear, I feel that the sleeping bag is the one that I can improve on - in terms of size (not comfort, or warmth). I just purchased a rectangular North Face Dolomite 3S 20F bag and tried it out this weekend on a camping trip. It looks like this will pack down quite a bit smaller than my current bag - and was very warm and comfortable to sleep in. I suspect that in a compression sack - it will take up about 1/3 of my tailbag - so this should free up some useful space! :)

Mike
Old 07-29-2012, 02:01 PM   #21
Nanabijou OP
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by CMS View Post
Great trip,writing and pictures! In follwing your write up I felt as if I took the trip also. I'm an avid rider of smaller CC bikes [TU250X and GZ250 both Suzukis]. Lookig forward to my first trip this year in August. Will use the GZ as its more of a pack mule than the TU. The TU 's engine is the better of the two [IMO, both 250s] . Have read about the popular Honda 125/150 that you own ,although not ava in the States its seems to be a very good seller for Honda in the World market. The CBR 250 that is ava in the US looks very good to me. Did I catch you have a 250 now? Hope you post future trips, CMS
Thanks CMS! I really love the look of the TU250X. I'd love to see that bike loaded up and touring! Yes - I purchased a CBR250R last year. I took it on a long-trip last year as well. I will post it here on the forum soon. It's probably the best small, inexpensive, touring bike I can think of. It has tons of torque for a 250, and good power, which combined with fuel-injection, relatively light weight, and a tall 6th gear, makes it a real easy and relaxed bike to tour on. Much less shifting on the long hills is required with the CBR250R. And fully loaded - I was netting about 81 mpg (68 mpg U.S.) riding at 65 mph or higher out on the highways. It is a little larger than the CBR125R too - so ergonomically - a little more room to stretch out on. I found the CBR250R's seat to be initially more comfortable than the CBR125R's saddle, mainly due to the extra width on the 250R. However, the 250R's seat also has an edge to it that would begin to cut-off circulation in my legs after about 1 hour or so - so ultimately I was able to ride farther between stops - more comfortably - on the CBR125/150R. Also - because the CBR250R is so torquey - it is less engaging to ride than the CBR125/150 - much less shifting - tucking - and interacting with the bike. It think the bike is too heavy too. At 367 lbs (ABS) wet, it is about 87 lbs HEAVIER than my CBR150R. I suppose a Shorai battery (or equivalent) and after market exhaust (the stock exhaust is very heavy) would remove about 15 lbs from the bike - to bring it to about 350 lbs. Still I prefer my bikes to sit at 300 lbs or less. If someone does want the challenge of touring on a small displacement bike - the CBR250R is a great way to go.

Mike
Old 12-06-2012, 09:49 AM   #22
Nanabijou OP
Studly Adventurer

Here are more photos from that adventure.

Starting out. Packed up the little CBR like an RV.

The views east of Nipigon, ON along Lake Superior are always spectacular.

I stopped here to take a few photos. This is where I met a cyclist riding across Canada. He was well ahead of the rest of his group.

And here is my campsite at Obatanga Provincial Park just west of Wawa, ON. This summer, the provincial government announced that Obatanga was one of a dozen or so parks that would be relegated to "day use" only. No more camping here. Quite sad really. Provincial Parks are as Canadian as canoes, beavers, and poutine.

This is the waterfront real-estate my site featured.

I couldn't believe how well the CBR125R carried 3 bundles of wood.

I still have this tent. For minimalist camping, it's hard to beat this single-walled home away from home. I loved it so much, that I opted for a slightly larger version so I'd have room to walk around in it with my cot set up.

Yes - this is what it's all about. The moment when you embrace the experience. Thankful you made it to your destination. You sit, sip a drink, and reflect back on the events of the day and wonder about what tomorrow will bring.

Watershed sign.

An incredibly twisty and scenic part of Hwy 129 that follows the Mississaugi River.

A rest-stop along the Little White River.

Arrival at Mississaugi Provincial Park. At this stage, I couldn't believe I was doing it - I was really riding across Ontario. And the bike was holding up great with nary a complaint.

Views looking west along the Helenbar Lake trail at Mississaugi Provincial Park.

A nice beach at the end of the Helenbar Lake trail.

Early morning on my site. The site was a sight to behold. The sounds of croaking frogs? Just ribbitting...er....riveting.

The mouth of the Big Canoe about to swallow up unsuspecting bikers.

Camping with Peter, Christine, and Nicholas at Fairbank Lake Provincial Park.

The beach and sand at Fairbank Lake Provincial Park are quite fine.

My CBR125R out on a date with another CBR125R. Her saddlebags lent her a hot "Princess Leah"- like look. My bike suggested that they hang out on the beach in Elliot Lake.

Western part of Deer Trail route suddenly meets farmers' fields.

Up Hwy 129 around Aubrey Falls Provincial Park.

This photo was taken right on Hwy 17 (Trans-Canada) looking down on the railway tracks and Neys Provincial Park.

Just a little further west near the Little Pic River bridge.

Along the shores of Lake Superior near Rossport.

Nanabijou screwed with this post 12-06-2012 at 09:55 AM