ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > The Rockies – It's all downhill from here...
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-14-2014, 09:29 PM   #1
Wudscrasher OP
Stand-Up Philosopher

Oddometer: 4,173
OT: Starting a small service-based business in CO - Need lawyers, tax pros, etc.?

(Not a Vendor post!) Maybe, in the future I'm starting a GIS/GPS service business soon. My partner & I are looking at filing an LLC, which I think meets our needs. After hours (days?) of trying to navigate Colorado & Federal laws/requirements, we have a good idea of what we need to do, but need to talk to folks who have BTDT. We are a tight-knit group, us Rockies Regional inmates. Most of us have actually met in person, rode together, etc. I trust you for advice, even if we've never met. That's really something, considering the global reach of the WWW!

So, I reach out to my ADV friends as I begin this endeavor. Just looking for any law/tax/insurance folks who have gone through the LLC process & know how to help me navigate the maze and offer advice. PM me if you can help! (Not looking for free consultations. If it's what you do for a living, I'll pay for your time)

Thanks, and wish me luck
'94 DR 350SER
Wudscrasher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2014, 09:35 PM   #2
nwcolorider
NWCOLO

Oddometer: 2,570
Good luck Wuds!
nwcolorider is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2014, 09:41 PM   #3
Wudscrasher OP
Stand-Up Philosopher

Quote:
Originally Posted by nwcolorider View Post
Good luck Wuds!
Thanks, Norm! I have so many awesome ideas of where to take GIS/GPS, I figure why not try to make my own living off of it, instead of "The Man!" Problem is, I need to figure out the damn gub-mint requirements!
'94 DR 350SER
Old 11-14-2014, 10:21 PM   #4
JustinP
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,721
I've done LLC's through LegalZoom, and the manual way. Doing it through LegalZime saves time, but costs about $150. If it's your first one, it is also a good way to ensure that nothing is missed, and they hold your hand through the process. And it saves a lot of time filling out forms.
Old 11-14-2014, 10:24 PM   #5
AnnieGS
Namasté, bitches!

Oddometer: 29,540
I requested an EIN from the IRS and set up my LLC through the CO SoS website in about 5 minutes.
AnnieGS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2014, 11:04 PM   #6
Wudscrasher OP
Stand-Up Philosopher

Thanks, Justin & Annie! We are going to go through the online/state LLC applications. That's the easy part. Covering our asses & submitting an Operational plan, tax structure, etc., is the fun part! Always had an idea of my GIS/GPS experience to complement my 2-wheeled addiction. I have that opportunity, now. Am welcome for suggestions, BTW, for ANY type of mapping & GPS migration. 18 years I've been enjoying this, from old school CAD to implementing the latest GPS/GIS. The guys that joined me on the Dino-Ride Liaison this year? When we reached our final break-point after a difficult road, my GIS/GPS calcs & roll-charts were off by 0.04 miles. 132 feet. I'm good.
'94 DR 350SER
Old 11-15-2014, 09:27 AM   #7
norton(kel)
vintage

Oddometer: 1,090
Are you going to have a Mag-Chloride alert on you GPS info?
norton(kel) is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2014, 10:24 AM   #8
AnnieGS
Namasté, bitches!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wudscrasher View Post
Thanks, Justin & Annie! We are going to go through the online/state LLC applications. That's the easy part. Covering our asses & submitting an Operational plan, tax structure, etc., is the fun part!
You've already determined your tax structure by using an LLC (flow-through entity, the business isn't taxed, but you and your partner will pay tax on any income paid out). The larger issue you face is developing a rock-solid partnership agreement.
Old 11-15-2014, 11:35 AM   #9
Wudscrasher OP
Stand-Up Philosopher

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnnieGS View Post
You've already determined your tax structure by using an LLC (flow-through entity, the business isn't taxed, but you and your partner will pay tax on any income paid out). The larger issue you face is developing a rock-solid partnership agreement.
That's the big part, Annie. I'm the one whoring myself out for the work, my Tank Commander is responsible for the heavy lifting, to start. I gotta say, "Fuck it!" Guaranteed salary for a year, I'm going to make this happen!
'94 DR 350SER
Old 11-15-2014, 11:37 AM   #10
Wudscrasher OP
Stand-Up Philosopher

Quote:
Originally Posted by norton(kel) View Post
Are you going to have a Mag-Chloride alert on you GPS info?
I can make that happen. What a friggin mess that was. Only got better the next morning, didn't it?
'94 DR 350SER
Old 11-15-2014, 11:39 AM   #11
AnnieGS
Namasté, bitches!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wudscrasher View Post
That's the big part, Annie. I'm the one whoring myself out for the work, my Tank Commander is responsible for the heavy lifting, to start. I gotta say, "Fuck it!" Guaranteed salary for a year, I'm going to make this happen!
You should also be aware that verbally stating "we're partners" is a legally binding (!) 50:50 agreement; hence, a written partnership agreement is absolutely necessary. Division of labor, contribution of assets, salaries, time/effort/$ disparities, partnership dissolution terms...etc.

I'm all about DIY, but the legal fee for writing this up is worth the investment.

AnnieGS screwed with this post 11-15-2014 at 11:49 AM
Old 11-15-2014, 11:46 AM   #12
Oilburner375
Adventurer

Oddometer: 99
Quote:
+1. Good luck Wuds. I have set up three L.L.C.'s, a good operating agreement is essential. Feel free to call me with questions.

04 KTM 950, 08 KTM 450 EXC.
Oilburner375 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2014, 01:52 PM   #13
jet123
Using all my gears

Oddometer: 4,578
Quote:
...The larger issue you face is developing a rock-solid partnership agreement.
This +10 to 100th degree. This area has the most 'rope' to get into trouble with - good luck!

http://rerax.net/index.html
jet123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2014, 03:18 PM   #14
meerobus
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 473
Congrat's Wuds! Finally pulling the trigger. You have my sincerest support.

My wife used the services of the Larimer SBDC to start her business.
http://www.larimersbdc.org
She recommend them when I started mine and they have been there all the way. They have tax consultants, lawyers, successful small business owners, etc, all volunteering their time. I plan to "give back" when I get there. In the mean time...

Quote:
Originally Posted by jet123 View Post
This +10 to 100th degree. This area has the most 'rope' to get into trouble with - good luck!
To the 1000th degree. I've met more partners in this category of unsuccessful businesses than any other category, especially if they are family members. That's why I refuse to have a business partner despite the offers.

Sometimes having partners is inevitable but like AnnieGS says, the crux is to have a signed agreement on the division of labor, finances, time off to go ride your bike, etc. It's not a matter of not trusting each other, it's a matter of setting the expectations from the beginning.

All the best man. You know where to find me if you need anything.

MSF RiderCoach

meerobus screwed with this post 11-15-2014 at 03:25 PM
meerobus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2014, 04:52 PM   #15
MakersTeleMark
(oYo)

Oddometer: 75
I'd be glad to help. PM me or e-mail me at my username @ gmail with your e-mail and I'll holler at you from my professional account.
MakersTeleMark is offline   Reply With Quote