ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > The Rockies It's all downhill from here...
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-18-2014, 11:31 AM   #1
JustinP OP
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,552
Big bike friendly good roads near Monticello Canyon

Hey folks - I'm planning a winter trip down to ride the Monticello box canyon. Other than 139/142 through the canyon, what else is down that way near Elephant Butte for must do rides? Preferably dirt :). Will be on a GS with TKC 80's.
Old 12-18-2014, 01:32 PM   #2
TaterHarry
Redneck Emeritus

Oddometer: 2,463
Chloride Creek is a great road, totally doable on a GS with TKC80s and some skill. But it can ice up over the winter at the bottom.
TaterHarry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2014, 01:39 PM   #3
JustinP OP
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by TaterHarry View Post
Chloride Creek is a great road, totally doable on a GS with TKC80s and some skill. But it can ice up over the winter at the bottom.
Well, I don't know about skill so much, but I have a lot of perseverance . Looks like that area has some warm temps coming up towards new years. Does Monticello canyon get much ice by new years?
Old 12-18-2014, 01:50 PM   #4
TaterHarry
Redneck Emeritus

Oddometer: 2,463
Monticello won't be icy, the spring water that feeds the canyon is too warm. But it can be pretty loose, and therefore quite a handful on a big bike. Take someone along to help you pick up your GS

Now that I think about it, the Chloride Creek road also crosses the Continental Divide. So it can be icy/snowy up top, but it just depends on the conditions of the day. I'd check with the Gila National Forest to get some information on the roads as you get closer to your trip.

Most of the stuff here is GS friendly, but again the weather and conditions on the Divide can vary from day to day:

http://geronimotrail.com/northern-route/
TaterHarry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2014, 04:33 PM   #5
JustinP OP
Beastly Adventurer

Thanks - looks like lot's of stuff to explore in that area. Looks like there's some stuff southeast of ToC as well. Palomas gap, Lost hills etc. Looks like a clustertruck of roads over there to sort out though
Old 12-18-2014, 06:10 PM   #6
AtomicGeo
Chile Eater

Oddometer: 4,059
There's a dualsport track I call the Lost Hills Loop that I came up with that is mostly big bike friendly, except the part through Palomas Gap that you can avoid easily by heading to NM51 instead, and some sand at the sothern tip of the Jornada. It generally heads south of TorC along both sides of I25, goes to Hatch (stop at Sparky's for green chile burgers), then heads to Rincon and then back north up the Jornada. It is an alternative to the Chloride-Winston route when those places are snowed and iced over.

I am heading down to ride it either next month or February as a way just to get away from the cold. Dates not set yet.

Tracks below if you'd like to look at the tracks, I also put it on the DualSport maps site too.

Here's a report from that ride:

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showt...ght=Lost+Hills
Attached Files
File Type: gpx LostHillsRide 022313.gpx (748.3 KB, 16 views)
Old 12-18-2014, 06:23 PM   #7
Blakebird
r-u-n-n-o-f-t

Oddometer: 15,682
Justin - you should come down for the next Rubber Chicken
IBA #11735 . 1968-present
Blakebird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2014, 06:33 PM   #8
AtomicGeo
Chile Eater

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blakebird View Post
Justin - you should come down for the next Rubber Chicken
IMO, too many riders at RC. I avoid it.
Old 12-18-2014, 09:50 PM   #9
JustinP OP
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by AtomicGeo View Post
There's a dualsport track I call the Lost Hills Loop that I came up with that is mostly big bike friendly, except the part through Palomas Gap that you can avoid easily by heading to NM51 instead, and some sand at the sothern tip of the Jornada. It generally heads south of TorC along both sides of I25, goes to Hatch (stop at Sparky's for green chile burgers), then heads to Rincon and then back north up the Jornada. It is an alternative to the Chloride-Winston route when those places are snowed and iced over.

I am heading down to ride it either next month or February as a way just to get away from the cold. Dates not set yet.

Tracks below if you'd like to look at the tracks, I also put it on the DualSport maps site too.

Here's a report from that ride:

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showt...ght=Lost+Hills
Hey AtomicGeo - Thanks for the tips and GPS tracks, I actually watched your videos of the area on youtube

I watched a couple videos of Palomas Gap, and it didn't seem too bad (unless I missed something). Do you think it would be bad on the GS? I don't mind a bit of a work out, and I don't mind dropping the bike .
Old 12-19-2014, 01:36 PM   #10
AtomicGeo
Chile Eater

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustinP View Post
Hey AtomicGeo - Thanks for the tips and GPS tracks, I actually watched your videos of the area on youtube

I watched a couple videos of Palomas Gap, and it didn't seem too bad (unless I missed something). Do you think it would be bad on the GS? I don't mind a bit of a work out, and I don't mind dropping the bike .
I think going down Palomas (instead of going up) is easier, but if you drop the bike, you and the bike ain't coming out alive....it's a long drop off.
Old 12-19-2014, 01:51 PM   #11
JustinP OP
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by AtomicGeo View Post
I think going down Palomas (instead of going up) is easier, but if you drop the bike, you and the bike ain't coming out alive....it's a long drop off.
OK, then, maybe I'll skip Palomas Gap.
Old 12-19-2014, 04:27 PM   #12
wbbnm
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,985
We ran into unpleasant snow in the higher parts of Chloride Creek a few years ago in late November. Given the weather lately, I think it will be snowed in and most likely closed until late March. Once it snows in the mountains, it just doesn't melt in the shade in the winter.

You can do a really nice easy dirt ride from Engle all the way to Socorro and even Mountainaire along the western border of White Sands Missile Range. You can get to Engle from Palomas Gap should you choose or you can take pavement over from T or C.

I can provide tracks if you are interested.
wbbnm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2014, 04:54 PM   #13
JustinP OP
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by wbbnm View Post
We ran into unpleasant snow in the higher parts of Chloride Creek a few years ago in late November. Given the weather lately, I think it will be snowed in and most likely closed until late March. Once it snows in the mountains, it just doesn't melt in the shade in the winter.

You can do a really nice easy dirt ride from Engle all the way to Socorro and even Mountainaire along the western border of White Sands Missile Range. You can get to Engle from Palomas Gap should you choose or you can take pavement over from T or C.

Thanks, I'd definitely be interested in seeing the tracks you have.

and on another note, this is most random street view ever :)

http://goo.gl/maps/TTn2B
Old 12-20-2014, 08:26 AM   #14
gregdee
Motocampist

Oddometer: 426
Quote:
Originally Posted by wbbnm View Post
You can do a really nice easy dirt ride from Engle all the way to Socorro and even Mountainaire along the western border of White Sands Missile Range.
I'd be interested in that track.
gregdee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2014, 08:30 AM   #15
NMTrailboss
Team Dead End

Oddometer: 5,975
Quote:
Originally Posted by gregdee View Post
I'd be interested in that track.
+1