User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-22-2012, 06:30 PM   #1
53dodgekustom OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 54
/5 crankcase breather issues

Hey guys I have a 71 R60/5 with some oil leaks. It has new rebuilt heads, freshly ball honed cylinders and new rings. Has great compression. Runs strong. Anyways it seems like if I fix one leak another one springs up. And it just keeps getting worse. I can hear the breather working at idle and there is oily residue in the rubber hose. I ride this bike pretty hard and being a 600 it is revving pretty hard at 80mph.

Is there anyway to test it? Is the later breather system better?

I finally fixed the leaking oil sending unit and seamlessly right away the pushrod tube started leaking. Leaks all over my foot. Thought I fixed my head gasket from leaking by lapping it on a lapping table until it was dead flat (It defiantly had a low spot) Put a new head gasket on and it lasted awhile but it's seeping oil again.

I use the factory torque specs in the manual for everything too.

Am I destined for my bike to be covered in oil all the time like a 71 Harley?
53dodgekustom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2012, 10:49 PM   #2
disston
ShadeTreeExpert

Oddometer: 8,222
The more modern breather may be better. I've never heard that tho. What I hear is that riders don't like the Turkey sound and the new breather doesn't make that sound.

There is also reported sometimes that something fell into the trough under the breather and if this can be fished out the breather works better.

I've heard of riders that had this same problem and rode with the dipstick loose to prevent gaskets blowing out. Not sure this is really a solution.

Pay your debt, piratejohn.http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=949341
disston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2012, 03:23 PM   #3
53dodgekustom OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 54
I lost the crush washer once to the dipstick once and road it for awhile. Oil came blowing out of there pretty quickly too.

I guess I need to take my breather apart and check it out. I remember it having three different settings. Been along time since I've pulled it apart.
53dodgekustom is offline   Reply With Quote