Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Trip Planning > Americas
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-16-2013, 07:15 PM   #1
jayR OP
ride > all

Oddometer: 16
Question Durham NC to Anywhere you say!!

Hello frens.. I work as an IT contractor and got the sad news from my client today that this Friday would be the last day for our team on the project!! Lack of funding.. we would have to go!!
So interestingly instead of looking for a new project on Dice.com I am looking on RideReports on the Advrider I guess I am just so tired of the continuous always working type lifestyle..
I have recently bought a new to me Speed triple 07 it have about 28k miles on it.. bike's in Charlotte at a friend's garage, he is helping with 12k service on it.. it was his bike once!!
I hardly got any chance to ride in last 2 years as either I have been busy with work.. or other stuff..
Now as I my project is abruptly over, I have a chance to take a break.. I am planning on riding deals gap-dragon and fix few things at my house while I am there.. may be riding rt.16 near hungry mother national park..

I don't know how long will it take for me to find another project!!.. I may have to move to other state!! so while I wait how bout I just keep riding to other places?? So now you know my situation, my location, my interest etc.. so go ahead and suggest me where to go.. I have seen amazing ride reports of Arizona/Utah.. monument valley and nearby.. You think that would be too much of a distance to cover on my bike?? any other things I should be concerned about!
I may ride to NY.. Give me your suggestions.. where would you go!! I' would need to stay connected with my employer over email and phone and I don't have dual sport bike anyway so I can't really have all the fun!! but I would like to make the most of what I got thanks I advance!!
Old 07-17-2013, 09:57 AM   #2
TRUBRIT
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 155
Head West Young Man

Too hot in the East right now. Why don't you do what some of the inmates have done on here? Ride to a location until you have to stop for work whatever. Park the bike and gear in a Self Storage and fly home. When you are free again, fly out and continue......repeat....repeat....
TRUBRIT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2013, 10:59 AM   #3
High Country Herb
Adventure Connoiseur

Oddometer: 7,755
Quote:
Originally Posted by TRUBRIT View Post
. Why don't you do what some of the inmates have done on here? Ride to a location until you have to stop for work whatever. Park the bike and gear in a Self Storage and fly home. When you are free again, fly out and continue......repeat....repeat....
Awesome idea, but I think you should head north. Utah and Arizona are hot as hell right now (but its a dry heat ). What about Maine, and maybe Nova Scotia? You can rent a kayak in Acadia National Park or maybe Lunenburg Nova Scotia, and paddle the shoreline. The distance is no big deal. You can either shorten your days, or buy a butt pad for your seat.
High Country Herb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2013, 11:08 AM   #4
jayR OP
ride > all

Quote:
Originally Posted by TRUBRIT View Post
Too hot in the East right now. Why don't you do what some of the inmates have done on here? Ride to a location until you have to stop for work whatever. Park the bike and gear in a Self Storage and fly home. When you are free again, fly out and continue......repeat....repeat....
I hear you.. in fact not too long ago a friend of mine bought my prevoius bike to store it in Asheville so he and his wife can just fly to it and ride for few days there.. fly back to home and ride their other bike that they already have!! basically keeping two sets of bike.. one near home and one at another preffered location.. i wish i had that type of money

I would prefer to keep my bike with me.. so atleast i may be able to ride it for few hours each week.. It's hot outhere in the east.. one of my concern!
Old 07-17-2013, 02:32 PM   #5
4PawsHacienda
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 498
Ride the back side of the Great Lakes - thru Canada?
4PawsHacienda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2013, 12:33 PM   #6
jayR OP
ride > all

All packed up.. I would be leaving tomorrow.. Smoky mountains here I come..
I may only get a week or less to myself.. if nothing formalizes work wise then I may get to ride longer!! we'll see!!
Old 07-21-2013, 10:10 AM   #7
Dr. Benny
Enjoying the Journey

Oddometer: 857
I have a KLR stored outside San Francisco, CA that could use a ride back to Durham, NC... PM me if this might be of interest for you. Otherwise, have a great ride (and I agree, go west)!
Old 08-09-2013, 03:56 PM   #8
jayR OP
ride > all

So far I have spent about 10 days in Smoky mountains... mainly in the Deals Gap area!! I mostly stayed at Kickstand lodge at their bunk house.. great place, great people!!
I came back Durham NC last Thursday and continued on my job hunting with my vendor/recruiters.. still no luck! I am planning on heading west to the monument valley Utah, I think this is the only time that I have, I guess if I am not making money, I'll at least make some memories..
I don't know where i'll be staying when on the road and when I get there. It's a good 1760 miles and 27 hours from Robbinsville NC so I guess it will take me about 3 days to get there and lot's of fuel!! which is pretty expensive! I gotta spend few more days at my house in Robbinsville and fix the duct insulation work before I leave.. there are always something to do at this house but I am highly grateful to God for it!
Here are few pics of my last few days at the Deals Gap
https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?...1&l=2bce5da691