Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Trip Planning > Americas
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-23-2013, 12:04 PM   #136
ParaMud OP
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 626
I think we are going to try 2 up. I am selling all 3 of the bikes in the garage and am going to buy a good 2 up bike. I had an fz1 which would have been perfect for this trip, but sold it to get the KLR.

Natalie is trying to go without her pain meds today because most of her uncomfortablness is from sideeffects from Norco.

She is doing great.

I am looking to pick up a vstrom 650, or 1000, maybe a fz1 with luggage or any comfortable 2 up bike that less 4000 or less.
Old 06-23-2013, 05:09 PM   #137
GSF1200S
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 976
Quote:
Originally Posted by ParaMud View Post
I think we are going to try 2 up. I am selling all 3 of the bikes in the garage and am going to buy a good 2 up bike. I had an fz1 which would have been perfect for this trip, but sold it to get the KLR.

Natalie is trying to go without her pain meds today because most of her uncomfortablness is from sideeffects from Norco.

She is doing great.

I am looking to pick up a vstrom 650, or 1000, maybe a fz1 with luggage or any comfortable 2 up bike that less 4000 or less.
You might be able to find a 1200 bandit of older style for cheap. Not as refined as an fz1 but cheap reliable and fast. Obviously I like them, but it sounds like what you might like. 2up isn't great on an fz1 or bandit though.. maybe a fjr or similar?

Really sorry to hear about her accident. I know it maybe cliche but any of us could have this happen. I have had a few bobbles on this trip at higher speeds where I would have been DONE but I got lucky.. its life on two wheels and its the bad part for sure. Sending my best wishes...
GSF1200S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2013, 11:53 PM   #138
ParaMud OP
Studly Adventurer

Looks like we will be leaving again in 2 weeks or so. She is doing great and is off the pain pills. I am going to check out a bike possibly tomorrow and we will get a follow up appointment with a doctor this week. Looking at a BMW.
Old 06-24-2013, 06:06 AM   #139
tobeknown
Adventurer

Oddometer: 55
Search for a two up bike

Quote:
Originally Posted by ParaMud View Post
Looks like we will be leaving again in 2 weeks or so. She is doing great and is off the pain pills. I am going to check out a bike possibly tomorrow and we will get a follow up appointment with a doctor this week. Looking at a BMW.
Great to hear she can go without the meds, very good sign.

As far as you bike hunt goes, after my two KLR's I have landed on a Suzuki V-Strom 650. I have been very happy with the transition. I feel very secure on and off road with it. Obviously, does not have the KLR capability, but does very well as a trail bike and very confident down the highway at any speed. Also, I have done some two up trips with great results from the ex-girlfriend, who has tons of experience riding two up on and off road with me. The V-Strom specs very closely to the BMW GS700, ride with a couple, but for much less. I bought mine in excellent condition with 10,000 miles for $3200, of course this was a salvage in nearly perfect mechanical and cosmetic condition.

Good luck on the hunt.

BTW Clause will be doing my first full service on the Strom.
tobeknown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2013, 07:17 AM   #140
Noone
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,341
Your delay

Just found and read your thread. Good luck to you and hope you make it this year. In the event you haven't made all your purchases for clothing I can highly recommend Champion brand underwear and socks (can be found at Target). Wash them in the sink, wring them out, roll them in a towel and hang overnight. They WILL dry and they WILL NOT collect "the funk".

Nothing worse, in my opinion, than having to wear funky underwear. I'd rather go naked and that is a sight no one should be forced to see.

Best of luck.
Noone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2013, 07:00 PM   #141
ParaMud OP
Studly Adventurer

Thanks for the clothes advice but we are pretty well set now. If our clothes suck then we will go experment at walmart or something.

Got a new bike. 97 R11000RT. Bike has had great maintenance and has a notebook full of paperwork from it. runs great. Going 2 up now!!!!
Old 06-28-2013, 07:37 PM   #142
AdventurePoser
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,964
fantastic! You guys have a great spirit I'm looking forward to reading your ride report!
Old 07-01-2013, 09:38 AM   #143
ParaMud OP
Studly Adventurer

Almost ready to go. Trying to sell one of my bikes and then she has to go to a DRs appointment to confirm everything is good to go.

Old 07-19-2013, 12:32 PM   #144
ParaMud OP
Studly Adventurer

In Homer, AK. We are at the internet cafe so Natalie can sign up for her classes. Done with the Kenai Penninsula. We are heading out to Anchorage today to stay at the harley dealership. Then off to Valdez, Denali Highway, and possible deadhorse if the weather is good. Alaska is amazing!
Old 07-19-2013, 12:39 PM   #145
ParaMud OP
Studly Adventurer

Here is a pic from the first night of the trip. A clutch replacement in an Oreilly Auto Parts parking lot. The picture was at like 3am.

I didnt know the clutch was toast until we got the bike loaded up with everything.
Old 07-19-2013, 08:48 PM   #146
AKDuc
Alaska Born Ducatisti

Oddometer: 6,553
Wow, I didn't know you guys were still coming up! Cool.

Hey, just a heads-up. It's gonna be pretty busy/noisy tomorrow morn at the Harley shop when around a 100 bikes meet @ 9am for the MDA Benefit Ride.

Be sure to visit with the folks next door at Motoquest Tours too. They're a great bunch of guys.

Have fun, Mark H.
AKDuc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2013, 06:24 PM   #147
AKDuc
Alaska Born Ducatisti

Oddometer: 6,553
Great seeing you guys at the Harley camp area here in Anchorage.

Have fun in Valdez and the rest of your trip.

Mark H.
AKDuc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2013, 12:00 AM   #148
GSF1200S
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 976
Quote:
Originally Posted by AKDuc View Post
Great seeing you guys at the Harley camp area here in Anchorage.

Have fun in Valdez and the rest of your trip.

Mark H.
Your handle rings a bell! I was the guy at the Harley dealer with the blue dr650. It was good to talk with you.

Also good this trip didn't end with the accident. Live it up- its a great life chapter
GSF1200S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2013, 03:13 PM   #149
ParaMud OP
Studly Adventurer

Done with the trip and home safe. Will post up a ride report soon. Had a blast!