Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-01-2013, 12:43 PM   #46
soldierguy
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 467
Quote:
Originally Posted by ParaMud View Post
...I have crap ton of stuff from the army...
Same boat here. I'm about to retire, turning in all my TA-50 & CIF stuff in 10 days, and I think I'm still going to have a shit-ton of stuff left over. But I'm sure I'll be missing something that will cost me hundreds of dollars...

'13 Yamaha Super Tenere - my dream bike
soldierguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2013, 09:04 PM   #47
ParaMud OP
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 626
the best part when we were shopping at REI was at the checkout. Natalie found a pillow she liked, but couldnt find a price on the shelf. We found out at the checkout it was 40 bucks!!!! We didnt buy it because 40 bucks for a camping pillow is hard to stomach.
Old 01-02-2013, 04:55 AM   #48
AKDuc
Alaska Born Ducatisti

Oddometer: 6,555
Other recommended gear: mosquito headnet, sleepmask since it doesn't get dark up here that time of year, and a 230gr can of bear spray. Your gf's boots are fine if comfy but they're prolly not waterproof and you really should plan on riding in some, maybe A LOT, of rain. And do your KLRs have a 1 tooth larger than stock countershaft sprocket on them? Love mine.

University AK Fairbanks rents out rooms for cheap in the summer. I think UA Anchorage does now also. Our Anchorage Harley shop has free camping for motorcyclists that also includes a shower.

And there are also a lot of side dirt roads and gravel pits up here that are good places to camp.

Good luck and have fun, Mark H.

AKDuc screwed with this post 01-02-2013 at 05:20 AM
AKDuc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2013, 03:36 PM   #49
Eyes Shut
See no evil

Oddometer: 2,059
Quote:
Originally Posted by ParaMud View Post

I wish we could stay at a motel or a decent place, but we can't even come close to affording that. All of our money is going for gas and food. We are both poor college students.
Hi ParaMud -- Have you checked out the Tent Space Map?
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=776925

Many inmates here offer places to stay. Relative to your route, places are available in the western US and Canada.
Eyes Shut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2013, 12:09 AM   #50
ParaMud OP
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eyes Shut View Post
Hi ParaMud -- Have you checked out the Tent Space Map?
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=776925

Many inmates here offer places to stay. Relative to your route, places are available in the western US and Canada.
Yeah I have been glancing at it. When it gets closer to the time (a bit wamer) ill start contacting people.

We are definetly going to buy head nets and eye shade thingies.
Old 01-07-2013, 10:11 AM   #51
Digasi
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 108
If your route still takes you through the Salem, OR area and you need a break I will purchase you both a cup of coffee or drink to help you guys on your way.

I will be following on the intranet on your travels as I plan on trying the same trip in 2014 or 2015.

Digasi screwed with this post 01-07-2013 at 02:27 PM
Digasi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2013, 09:21 PM   #52
ParaMud OP
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Digasi View Post
If your route still takes you through the Salem, OR area and you need a break I will purchase you both a cup of coffee or drink to help you guys on your way.

I will be following on the intranet on your travels as I plan on trying the same trip in 2014 or 2015.
Yes! That is right on the path, we will be getting back on the 5 after visiting red woods and crater lake.

Just did a valve adjustment on both bikes, was able to keep 4 shims out of all of them, and loosened them all. Was able sell them to the local BMW Dealership (Irv Seaver, good people there), and buy 4 correct shims for 4 bucks.

Also painting Natalie's bike again. Last time we only painted half of it because she had to use the KLR to ride to school. All the painting is done, just waiting for it all to dry.

Her bike naked.

My bike after closing it up and draining the coolant. Still need to change the oil, grind down the skid pad to allow highway pegs and do small stuff. Can't close the bike up until I get the new spark plug on friday.
Old 01-11-2013, 10:06 PM   #53
ParaMud OP
Studly Adventurer

We tested out the tent and sleeping bags in the backyard a month or so ago and Natalie had some complaints. She didn't like the feel of the sleeping bag. We looked at REI and they were about 60 bucks!
So today she made 2 sets with flannel from Jo-Anns. She also made herself a pillow and I somehow made myself a pillow slip thingy.
Cost 30 bucks in fabric for both.

We are testing them again outside tonight. It will be 32 degrees out. Alaska should get about that cold on the coldest day right?
Old 01-11-2013, 10:28 PM   #54
Curtis76
Coug Fan

Oddometer: 66
If you need a place to sleep as you're passing though the Seattle area, you're more than welcome at our place. I'm just north of Seattle (before Everett) and just a few minutes off of Interstate 5. We have an extra bedroom and plenty of food, beer and wine. Save your money for when you really need it!

`10 F800GS

If your circle stays unbroken... then you're a lucky man. - Ronnie James
Curtis76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2013, 01:47 PM   #55
ParaMud OP
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Curtis76 View Post
If you need a place to sleep as you're passing though the Seattle area, you're more than welcome at our place. I'm just north of Seattle (before Everett) and just a few minutes off of Interstate 5. We have an extra bedroom and plenty of food, beer and wine. Save your money for when you really need it!
Yeah that would be great! Ill PM when we get closer to the time to leave.

So we slept outside and the sleeping bags worked great. got down to 28, which should be the lowest we see in the summer in Alaska.

So I just did a simulated packing up. Her sleeping bag with: Big Agnes Sleeping Bag, Insulated Air Core, Memory Foam Cover, Bag Liner, and Pillow do not fit in my 30L compressible dry sack. Great.She can't live without any of those on the trip so....yeah. I have a 40L Exped dry Bag for the schozzle I just ordered so we will try that out when it comes. My sleeping bag (which is a large while hers is a petite) fits just barely in it. I guess the memory foam pads takes up a lot of room.

Its hard to make packing list cuts for camping because if we are not comfortable camping then the trip will be miserable.
Old 01-12-2013, 03:06 PM   #56
BigDogAdventures
Fart Letter

Oddometer: 4,886
Yukon Campsites

I don't think anyone mentioned it------we camped in the Yukon a lot.
Cool thing is every campground is laid out the same.
Very wooded.
Each campsite secluded by the trees from your neighbor.
Picnic table.
Camping area free of weeds.
Nice Fire Ring.
And best of all -----Free Firewood-----$12

I know you talked of stealth camping----but having a fire sure helps with the skeeters.
And somehow---having a fire made me feel a little better knowing bears were always all around me.
One nudged his nose into my tent and shoved my feet over about 2 ft.----I didn't sleep much that night.

BigDog

typical Yukon campground----Alaska was awesome---------------BC and the Yukon were Awesomer !!!!!!

And since it's winter---and you may be gettin' bored----you can read our ride report -----as we went a very different way than most.

http://www.bigdogadventures.com/1Alaska.htm

Another Yukon campsite

2013 Husky 650 TR650 Terra

BigDogAdventures screwed with this post 01-12-2013 at 03:14 PM
BigDogAdventures is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2013, 02:47 PM   #57
nuttynu
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 935
Cool2

Keep us updated, I'm in anchorage and if time meets with yours, I wouldn't mind riding along with ya two whole your in Alaska.

nuttynu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2013, 05:02 PM   #58
Newsshooter
n00b

Oddometer: 8
I'll be heading up with a few friends this summer. Probably leaving about the first of July. I sold my R6 track bike, and bought a versys for the trip. Still need to get some panniers, boots, and clothing. I'm guessing my leathers and roadrace boots might not be the best choice. :)

Craig
Newsshooter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2013, 06:15 PM   #59
nuttynu
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 935
Quote:
Originally Posted by Newsshooter View Post
I'll be heading up with a few friends this summer. Probably leaving about the first of July. I sold my R6 track bike, and bought a versys for the trip. Still need to get some panniers, boots, and clothing. I'm guessing my leathers and roadrace boots might not be the best choice. :)

Craig
No...nope. Get something that is warm... And rain proof!! Leathers won't help u at all.

nuttynu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2013, 12:23 PM   #60
Digasi
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 108
Don't know if this has been mentioned, but you probably want to make sure your insurance covers you in Canada and you order the required paperwork from them to show that you are covered.
Digasi is offline   Reply With Quote