Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-25-2013, 10:54 AM   #76
ParaMud OP
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 605
Quote:
Originally Posted by KKKlaus View Post
Well just to confirm, I will be attending this epic journey with you, Mudd.

We also have a serious group of four other individuals looking to join as well; they are also on ADV and will chime in eventually. Their route may differ slightly but I am interested! I also might recommend a slight detour or two, it was nice reading all the experienced members' recommendations, too.

Beverly will be attending this journey as well. Be sure to bring the tow hooks and I'll tow you to safety

Awesome, that bike has a record of not working :)

It will take 2 KLR's to tow it. How dirt worthy is that bike? We should probably do a test/ camp ride with you guys.
Old 01-27-2013, 08:47 PM   #77
ParaMud OP
Studly Adventurer

Installed a new set of tires on mine.
K270's, I am going to test them out this week and if I like them Ill get a set for Natalie.

First time changing tires with a tube. I managed to pinch the tube on the front. So I patched my first motorcycle tube. Changing tires is much easier than tubeless.
Old 01-27-2013, 09:31 PM   #78
AKDuc
Alaska Born Ducatisti

Oddometer: 6,407
Quote:
Originally Posted by ParaMud View Post
Installed a new set of tires on mine.
K270's, I am going to test them out this week and if I like them Ill get a set for Natalie.

First time changing tires with a tube. I managed to pinch the tube on the front. So I patched my first motorcycle tube. Changing tires is much easier than tubeless.
Cool. Those are the tires that Motoquest Tours uses on their KLR's up here. I'm sure Natalie woulda had a MUCH better time on her past dirt rides if she'd had knobbier tires. That's the first thing I noticed in your ride photos, besides the very lovely pink paint of course. Up here for the dirt roads I generally prefer a little more road oriented rear and a knobbier front like those on my KLR. I'm also a lot happier running 1 tooth larger front sprocket.

You know anyone in Seattle? Since you're traveling about 1000mi just to get there and back, I thought maybe you'd want to ride street tires to there and change over to knobbies for the few thousand miles north and back and then change back for the trip home. Just a thought.

You on klr650.net yet? LOTS of good info on there if you're interested.

Good luck and have fun, Mark H.
AKDuc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2013, 03:47 PM   #79
montanaman
Traveler

Oddometer: 171
How did the Heidenau's work for you?

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1994klr250 View Post
I just returned from Alaska a few weeks ago on my F800GS. Gas was by far the biggest expense on the trip. I was going to keep a log of my fuel cost for the trip, but I lost my pad of paper I was recording it on after filling up on the Alaska highway. Your not going to find gas for $4.00 a gallon anywhere in Canada let alone Alaska. I remember gas in Fairbanks around $4.50 a gallon. The highest in Canada I remember somewhere in the Yukon was $1.62 a liter or $6.12 a gallon. Here's a few pictures of the price of gas at the pump. Also don't pass a gas station even if you just filled up 50 miles ago. Make sure you have at a minimum 250 mile range as well. I carried a 2 gallon rotopax and had to use it 4 times.

Coldfoot $5.19

Prudhoe Bay $5.35

Kitwanga at the south end of the Cassiar Highway $1.31 a liter or $4.95 a gallon

I'm going to do the ride this May and run the Scouts on my GS800 and was going to get a new set installed before I leave my house in Montana. Figured they would get the job done as they are good for about 6-8000 miles. I hear some ship a more aggressive knobbie like a TKC to Fairbanks and change them out prior to the Dempster or the Dalton..

Also.. anyone have any opinions as to which road is more scenic and better maintained?
Old 02-03-2013, 05:25 PM   #80
ParaMud OP
Studly Adventurer

So this weekend our friend David picked out Hungry Valley to take a trip to. After reading online, it seemed like the perfect place to go to. We invited another friend named Klaus (he posted on this thread).

So both bikes were given the gift of new rubber. Kenda K270s.

I bought some rok straps and I love them. This is pretty much how we are going to pack for Alaska. Basically we will bring the same thing, just more clothes.
We rigged up a Camelbak Backpack that I had from the Army and converted it to a tank bag. Worked perfectly. Much cheaper than my wolfman tank bag (which came with my bike).

We meet up at my friends house and we ride off to Happy Valley, which is just outside of LA, about 100 miles away. We set up camp and take all the luggage off our bikes. We do a small ride just to check out the surrounding area. We come back and start cooking dinner.

I take off my giant windscreen because I am scared to break it.

This is at the top of a nice hill climb. You can see our tiny blue tent.

So we then go to town, pick up firewood, and some other stuff (beer, drinks). We go back to camp and start relaxing. I come up with the great idea to go do the hill climb (see above picture from the top), in the dark, a tad bit tipsy. So I go up and I make it. My friend David isnt so lucky. He has a worn down rear tire and has a small tip over in the middle of the hill. Klaus and I, with Davids help (if you call making everything harder help) roll his bike down the hill backwards. David is fine, except for broken glasses (that he put in his pocket after he crashed and smashed them rolling down the hill), and a tweaked hand guard.

So we call it a night in front of the camp fire.
Old 02-03-2013, 06:01 PM   #81
ParaMud OP
Studly Adventurer

So Saturday is a full day of riding. We wake up and have some bacon and eggs. We go for a small ride, I didnt bring my camera. We invented a new term. It's called doing a Natalie. Basically you accomplish a hard task, such as a hill climb and once you reach the easy part, you fall down. So Natalie did a Natalie a couple times.

So we ride into town and eat at a Mexican joint. Decent food.

Natalie fell over in some mud on the way back to camp. She said something was wrong with the throttle. I test road the bike.

Gas was in her vent tube on the carb. I just added the Y mod and pointed them both up in the air. We rerouted it to drain the gas and it worked fine again.

I test rode the bike again with Klaus.

So Klaus, he has a DR350. Bike is great, except for his rear tire. It is basically a slick.

Me helping him pick up his bike after binning it due to the tire. Trail was to steep, so I leaned Natalies bike against the cliff. He crashed the most and they were all basically because of the tire.

Klaus and I go scouting for some good roads for Natalie. I managed to find the biggest mud puddle and smash through it.

The trails are rated at the park. We run into a trail called gorman. It is the highest difficulty and it is bike only (not atvs).
It wasnt that hard, just dont fall over.

Here is Klaus' rear tire.

A video of how he usually crashes.

We go back and pick up Natalie and David and take them down the nice wide road we found.

David splits off to take care of some business (remember the Mexican lunch?)
We decide to try some intermediate trails with Natalie. They were tough, but Natalie did great.

I couldnt get a good picture, with or without flash.

We head back to camp and cook and sleep annnnnnd drink.
Old 02-03-2013, 06:07 PM   #82
ParaMud OP
Studly Adventurer

We wake up Sunday, and air out our tents. It rained a bit last night.

I install my windscreen ( I shouldn't have)

We take a last ride around the park.

They have a natural motorcross track that we checked out. David, Klaus, and I went on the beginner track.

We check out some other tracks and head back to camp to pack up.

I get all packed up and decide to test out the packing.

I go up the hill, and lose the trunk halfway up. It rolled all the way back down.

I get everything back on the bike, and my kickstand manages to sink all the way down.

We then head home!
Old 02-03-2013, 06:16 PM   #83
ParaMud OP
Studly Adventurer

Here are some pictures from David.

This is where natalie pulled a Natalie at the top of a hill.

This is before starting a tough hill climb.

Camp fire!

Heading back into town the first day.

Glasses that David broke (RIP)

I don't like people.

Smile!
You can see me in the background.
Old 02-08-2013, 06:33 PM   #84
tobeknown
Adventurer

Oddometer: 55
Greetings! I am one of the guys Klaus has mentioned interested in participating on your journey. I have already been a trips with Klaus. I have about 150,00 miles just on the KLR riding mostly Western US. I would love to get together on a ride, possibly camping, sometime soon. Let me know if your interested.
tobeknown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2013, 07:07 PM   #85
ParaMud OP
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by tobeknown View Post
Greetings! I am one of the guys Klaus has mentioned interested in participating on your journey. I have already been a trips with Klaus. I have about 150,00 miles just on the KLR riding mostly Western US. I would love to get together on a ride, possibly camping, sometime soon. Let me know if your interested.
Planning on Joshua tree next weekend Friday-Sunday. Easier dirt roads.
Old 02-10-2013, 11:46 PM   #86
evilman
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 100
Hey guys!

I'd love to tag along also, Claus thx for the invite.

Gabe
evilman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2013, 10:16 AM   #87
ParaMud OP
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by evilman View Post
Hey guys!

I'd love to tag along also, Claus thx for the invite.

Gabe
Sure! Klaus will have all the info when we figure it out
Old 02-13-2013, 06:43 PM   #88
evilman
Gnarly Adventurer

Yeah i can't wait. Have you done the doohickey on the KLR's?
Old 02-13-2013, 06:54 PM   #89
ParaMud OP
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by evilman View Post
Yeah i can't wait. Have you done the doohickey on the KLR's?
yep
Old 02-15-2013, 10:03 AM   #90
evilman
Gnarly Adventurer

Cool! I'd like to suggest to replace that big fender with some slim ones to help with wind drag.