ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > Pacific Northwet - Where it's green. And wet.
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-09-2014, 06:22 PM   #16
twentyvolume
Adventurer

Oddometer: 71
Cool! I have never been out there. Looking forward to it. Any info you could share would be great.

One route I had mapped out goes south to Warner Peak, across Guano Creek, and down past Fisher Lake, to put me on 140. The other route, that is probably less fun, is to take Hart Mountain Road (Hwy 3-12), down and around to 140.

I'd love to take the first route that really goes through the whole area, but was just curious about road conditions through there. How sandy is it out there?

Glidedon, I'll be out there around the 21st or 22nd of this month otherwise I'd be down to meet up. I'll report back with any road conditions when I'm home!

twentyvolume screwed with this post 06-09-2014 at 06:42 PM
twentyvolume is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2014, 07:00 PM   #17
sprocket3
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 205
Quote:
Originally Posted by twentyvolume View Post
Cool! I have never been out there. Looking forward to it. Any info you could share would be great.

One route I had mapped out goes south to Warner Peak, across Guano Creek, and down past Fisher Lake, to put me on 140. The other route, that is probably less fun, is to take Hart Mountain Road (Hwy 3-12), down and around to 140.

I'd love to take the first route that really goes through the whole area, but was just curious about road conditions through there. How sandy is it out there?

Glidedon, I'll be out there around the 21st or 22nd of this month otherwise I'd be down to meet up. I'll report back with any road conditions when I'm home!
There is a cool cabin called Shirk Ranch near where Guano Creek hits the lake. The route that follows the creek from Guano Lake toward the main refuge is very rough. The section I was on is paved in 4"-6" natual rock. There is no sand to be concerned about. Lots of dust. The lake is Dry. Three homestead in the valey to poke around in.

I'll need to look up 3-12, but it might be the road I was on Saturday. Where do you want to start and end?
sprocket3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2014, 07:23 PM   #18
Glidedon
master of none

Oddometer: 40
Quote:

That would be great!

Thanks,

Don

2013 Suzuki DL650
Glidedon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2014, 12:17 AM   #19
doggitter
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,893
If you want less hardtop from west end of Hart Mtn go NW past Rabbit Hills, to Hogback Mtn Rd I think it is, ending at the north end of Abert Rim. From there you can jog and cross the pavement and hit roads that will lead NW to to just north of Paisley, all dirt and gravel.

Loren, somewhere on a DR350SE
doggitter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2014, 06:38 AM   #20
sprocket3
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by doggitter View Post
If you want less hardtop from west end of Hart Mtn go NW past Rabbit Hills, to Hogback Mtn Rd I think it is, ending at the north end of Abert Rim. From there you can jog and cross the pavement and hit roads that will lead NW to to just north of Paisley, all dirt and gravel.
I think he wants to head SE from Hart Mtn towards 140. The Hogback heads Northwest. It's a great road if you want to get out to Christmas Valley.

Can you read NG Topo Map Files? I've got some routes tracked out somewhere from my first trips out.

There are lots of cool places to see in that area.

Pueblo Mnts (North and South sections)
Steens Loop Road
Bog Hot Springs
Hart Mount
Alvord Dry Lake (couple hot springs in the area too)
Owyhee Three Forks Area

Guano Lake is so so compared to some of the other spots. It's just a big dry basin with a cool ranch in the NW corner. After you've seen 20 homesteads they all start to look the same though. If I'd never been to that corner of the state it would not make my short list. Number of days and where you are driving in from would make a big difference on your route.

sprocket3 screwed with this post 06-10-2014 at 09:51 AM
Old 06-10-2014, 01:12 PM   #21
doggitter
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,893
Huh, could have swore heading to Paisley was in there somewhere.

Loren, somewhere on a DR350SE
doggitter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2014, 02:52 PM   #22
sprocket3
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by doggitter View Post
Huh, could have swore heading to Paisley was in there somewhere.
Oh.. Just read and he does want to hit Paisley. I've only slowed down there. What's to see there?
Old 06-10-2014, 03:01 PM   #23
Scott_PDX
Leisure Engineer

Oddometer: 3,032
Quote:
Originally Posted by sprocket3 View Post
Oh.. Just read and he does want to hit Paisley. I've only slowed down there. What's to see there?
A gas pump

My MotovLog (Youtube Videos): http://www.youtube.com/user/scottb572/videos

Where Am I via SPOT (Code SCT): http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=719703
Scott_PDX is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2014, 01:35 PM   #24
twentyvolume
Adventurer

Ha! Yeah, only reason to stop in Paisley is for gas.

Here are the three options of what I was thinking for getting through Hart Mountain. I just plotted out the third one, and that actually seems like the best to me now. Less time on the major roads, and a little shorter in the end, too!

The only downside to #3 is not going through more of Hart Mountain, but I think after a quick dip in the hot springs I'll be satisfied :)

#1- http://ridewithgps.com/routes/4982105
#2- http://ridewithgps.com/routes/4982117
#3- http://ridewithgps.com/routes/5002493

Thanks for the intel, all around.
Old 06-11-2014, 01:53 PM   #25
sprocket3
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Ha! Yeah, only reason to stop in Paisley is for gas.

Here are the three options of what I was thinking for getting through Hart Mountain. I just plotted out the third one, and that actually seems like the best to me now. Less time on the major roads, and a little shorter in the end, too!

The only downside to #3 is not going through more of Hart Mountain, but I think after a quick dip in the hot springs I'll be satisfied :)

#1- http://ridewithgps.com/routes/4982105
#2- http://ridewithgps.com/routes/4982117
#3- http://ridewithgps.com/routes/5002493

Thanks for the intel, all around.
I don't know the section on #3 from 395 to 31, but the rest of that I was on last weekend actually. It's really smooth gravel. There might be a couple washboard sections and loose spots though.

205 has more snakes than any other place I've ever seen. Two rattle snakes and about 20 gopher snakes on that one section. I don't get it.

If you want more dirt there is a road on the West side of the Pueblo Mnts that goes by Bog Hot Spring and crosses Domingo Pass, then down into Fields. It takes off from near the point 140 turns north. Great view from the pass up there.

From Saturday:
Attached Images

Old 06-11-2014, 05:06 PM   #26
twentyvolume
Adventurer

Awesome man, again, thanks for the info!

I am headed out from Portland to do a this loop in a week or so. Taking three days to get to the Bald Butte fire lookout, staying there for two nights, and then meandering back to Portland over the next couple days. Haven't spent much time in this part of the state, so I'm really looking forward to it!

I'll try and steer clear of the rattlers. Definitely some of my least favorite critters out there...
Old 06-12-2014, 10:57 AM   #27
sprocket3
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Awesome man, again, thanks for the info!

I am headed out from Portland to do a this loop in a week or so. Taking three days to get to the Bald Butte fire lookout, staying there for two nights, and then meandering back to Portland over the next couple days. Haven't spent much time in this part of the state, so I'm really looking forward to it!

I'll try and steer clear of the rattlers. Definitely some of my least favorite critters out there...
That should be fun. I've never been into Gearhart, but was just thinking about exploring that area this summer. Take some photos and give us a ride report when you're back.
Old 06-12-2014, 01:19 PM   #28
RideAbout
Mentally Retired

Oddometer: 1,656
Quote:
Taking three days to get to the Bald Butte fire lookout, staying there for two nights
I'll be in the area the week of the 23rd. I've spotted the lookout from FR28 but have never meandered up there to look. Have fun
Old 07-07-2014, 09:34 PM   #29
clovet
Easy Rider

Oddometer: 16
I'm planning on heading out to this area on Friday (July 11th) for two nights of camping. Maybe the first night on Hart Mountain, and the second on Steens Mountain? I'll be coming from Portland and riding through Paisley and Plush on my way.

If anyone is interested in joining let me know. Would be nice to meet more folks in the PDX area. Intermediate rider here.
clovet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2014, 09:46 AM   #30
Scott_PDX
Leisure Engineer

Oddometer: 3,032
Was in that area a few weeks ago*. The road past the Hart Mountain Hot Springs is closed til April, but you can back track a few miles and get on Blue Sky Road and get on the South Boundry Road of Hart Mountain and eventually Skirk Lake Ranch. It was very cool and remote out there. Run on 140 for awhile then take Funnel Canyon back up to Hwy 205 to get to Steens.

That was a long day though. A shorter, more high speed route would be to take FrenchGlen Road/Rock Creek Road outta Hart Mountain then get directly on the Steens loop.

* = http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=990219

My MotovLog (Youtube Videos): http://www.youtube.com/user/scottb572/videos

Where Am I via SPOT (Code SCT): http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=719703
Scott_PDX is online now   Reply With Quote