User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-23-2012, 01:56 PM   #1
sigpe57 OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 335
Tire Explosion Concern

There are few videos on YouTube regarding tire explosion during air-up or seating the tire bead.

Is this a serous concern for changing an airehead tube tire? or it just for huge truck tire?

Is 40psi the highest you want to go when seating the bead?

Thank you for the reply,

TT

sigpe57 screwed with this post 07-23-2012 at 03:40 PM
sigpe57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2012, 02:12 PM   #2
bikerfish
flyfishandride

Oddometer: 1,448
I sometimes have to go up to 70 to get the bead to seat, other times it will seat around 40-50 psi, been mounting tires for longer than I can remember, never had one blow up.
bikerfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2012, 02:15 PM   #3
Airhead Wrangler
Adios Mexico

Oddometer: 6,386
Quote:
Originally Posted by sigpe57 View Post
There are few videos on utube regarding tire explosion willing air-up, mounting tire or seating the tire bead. Is this a serous concern for changing an airehead tube tire? or it just for huge truck tire?

while seating the tire bead, is 40psi the highest you want to go?
I've never had to do it, but I've considered it a couple times when away from a high volume air source. Also, depending on the tire, you'll often need to juice it up well north of 40 to get it to seat. I've seen 80 before and it still wouldn't seat. If you get that high up though it's probably because you haven't lubed the bead/rim well enough (or at all).

Current rides: HPN #834, '93 R100GSPD "red rocket", '73 R75/5 Toaster mongrel, '80 Ducati Pantah 500SL, '92 DR350, '67 Honda SS50, '80 Honda Chaly.
Airhead Wrangler is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2012, 02:28 PM   #4
supershaft
because I can

Oddometer: 8,397
When I was 16 or 17 I had one of the first radial tractor trailer tires I had ever seen blow up on me while I was putting a little more air in it. Fortunately it was the inside dual or it probably would have killed me. My coworkers said it was a miracle that the explosion didn't blow out the gas station plate glass windows that were about 30 yards away. That and that I was still alive! They said the glass looked like it bowed four of five inches. I remember raising my head from flat on my back about seven feet from where I was a second earlier and hearing the explosion rolling away across the flat land like thunder. I always try to be careful around that stuff. I told my boss that day that I would check tire pressure from that day on but if they needed any air the drivers would have to put it in themselves. That or pay me to take the wheel off and put it in the cage and air it up. He looked at me and was real happy to say that would be just fine! I think he was just glad I wasn't dead. Having said all that, I put more air in motorcycle tires than you are suppose to all the time to get beads to seat.
supershaft is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2012, 03:03 PM   #5
ericrat
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,122
I haven't

I haven't had any trouble, like others said it is pretty common to need 60 or 70 pounds to seat the bead. That said, there is no point is having your face over the rim when airing up for the first time. It never hurts to consider where you body is at when in the shop.

My buddies tire machine has a coiled hose with a locking tire chuck on the end. The valve and pressure gauge are back about three feet. I like using that setup when it is available to me. You can take a good step back and air up till the bead pops into place while still watching the pressure.

I had a '71 Chevy with split rim wheels. I always took it to the semi truck guys for service. I think they appreciated the fact that I did not try to take it to standard tire shop. It was funny seeing my "little bitty" wheel in the great big cage.

Eric
Old 07-24-2012, 05:56 PM   #6
disston
ShadeTreeExpert

Oddometer: 8,595
It's not truck wheels per say although they are found on trucks. They are found on other vehicles too. I think they were once common on cars. They are split rims. A truck may have split rims but they aren't even as common any more these days on trucks. Split rims blow up not truck wheels, tires, whatever.

People changing tires on split rims get killed if they make mistakes.

I use lotsa pressure to seat tire beads. 80 lbs, maybe more.

Pay your debt, piratejohn.http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=949341
disston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2012, 06:17 PM   #7
crazydrummerdude
Wacky Bongo Boy

Oddometer: 7,531
My uncle (self-employed truck driver) uses a large air canister with a butterfly valve and wide nozzle that he sets at the opening between the rim and the bead; while an air nozzle is attached to the valve stem. A flip of the butterfly seats the bead and the constant air from the valve stem keeps it pressurized enough to stay seated until it gets to an appropriate psi.

As a self-employed lawncare guy, I've seated many beads with a ratchet strap around a tire as I fill it with air. A little wrestling usually gets it seated within a couple minutes. Although I heard a story of some guy leaving the strap on and having it blow up and take out his eye..

I've never tried either method on a motorcycle, though.

crazydrummerdude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2012, 06:37 PM   #8
tommu56
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,291
mounting

As one who had a wrist and thumb broken mounting a car tire with a stubborn bead it was air tight but wouldn't set on out side of the rim.

I recommend a clip on valve type fitting or a screw on to a small 12v compressor.

from http://www.gemplers.com/product/G272...p-on-Air-Chuck
with a street elbow to clear the spokes and hub

and then a regulator and valve to control and set the pressure

tom
tommu56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2012, 09:21 PM   #9
DaveBall
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,161
I have gone as high as 80-90 pounds to seat a bike tire, but that is really rare for me. I find that the beads will seat best if you clean the rim really well and use a proper lube. Usually pop or slide into place at around 45-50 pounds, max. I never leave the valve in the stem when I am seating the bead. I use a clip on style attachment on my air hose at home, with a big compressor. That way if things are not going as designed, I can flip the clip handle and it pops right off releasing pressure immediately.
DaveBall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2012, 10:48 PM   #10
supershaft
because I can

Oddometer: 8,397
Quote:
Originally Posted by disston View Post
It's not truck wheels per say although they are found on trucks. They are found on other vehicles too. I think they were once common on cars. They are split rims. A truck may have split rims but they aren't even as common any more these days on trucks. Split rims blow up not truck wheels, tires, whatever.

People changing tires on split rims get killed if they make mistakes.

I use lotsa pressure to seat tire beads. 80 lbs, maybe more.
? I have changed many a tire on split rims. Most of them were on tractor trailers. The explosion that I survived wasn't on a split rim. The tire blew up. It happens all the time. That particular tire was a tubeless radial on a regular rim. I have seen it happen twice out on the road myself and everyone sees the remains of tires exploding spread out all over the road all the time. That's usually not from the split rim letting loose. It's usually the tires.

The best trick to reduce the pressure required for seating beads is to use a air chuck that flows a LOT of air with the valve core removed. They make ALL the difference in the world.
supershaft is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2012, 12:48 AM   #11
crazydrummerdude
Wacky Bongo Boy

Oddometer: 7,531
Quote:
Originally Posted by supershaft View Post
everyone sees the remains of tires exploding spread out all over the road all the time. That's usually not from the split rim letting loose. It's usually the tires.
Pardon my ignorance, but aren't those usually recaps separating from the original, rather than tires exploding due to over-pressurization to seat a bead?

crazydrummerdude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2012, 02:24 AM   #12
ME 109
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,125
Quote:
Originally Posted by crazydrummerdude View Post
Pardon my ignorance, but aren't those usually recaps separating from the original, rather than tires exploding due to over-pressurization to seat a bead?
Nup, that's tyres exploding man.
Usually the whole truck explodes too.
ME 109 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2012, 07:03 AM   #13
tommu56
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,291
A little off topic but I feel it fits in

A little off topic but I feel it fits in

welding on rim

longer version

tom
tommu56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2012, 07:11 AM   #14
blaine.hale
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,990
I hit 100 PSI on my last "bead seating" a couple weeks ago...seemed pretty scary while doing it but it worked and I'm still here in one piece. I learned on my second one and properly lubed that sucker up. It popped into the bead about half that pressure.
1969 Bultaco Bandido MK2
2013 Husqvarna Terra TR650
blaine.hale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2012, 08:48 AM   #15
disston
ShadeTreeExpert

Oddometer: 8,595
Quote:
Originally Posted by crazydrummerdude View Post
That's what I thought too, that most, as in 99 % of those tire pieces on the highways are retreads separating.

Pay your debt, piratejohn.http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=949341
disston is offline   Reply With Quote