User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-23-2012, 05:18 PM   #1
bigalow OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 26
f800gs stalls out

I recently received my f800gs back from the local BMW dealership/shop from having the cooling system flushed and immediately took it for a highly anticipated ride. During that ride my bike stalled out 7 or 8 times when I was stopped at red lights or stop signs waiting for traffic. Basically, anytime I came to a stop and let the bike idle. The bike would crank over just fine but wouldn't start until I gave it a decent amount of of throttle to get it going. The bike did not sputter or anything, it would just stall out after idling for approximately a minute or so.

I'm at a loss as I haven't put any fuel in the bike for almost a week and a half and didn't have any issues the first 80 or so miles on that tank of fuel. I last filled up at my regular local station with 91 octane where I've never had any issues in the past with that filling stations gas. After about 30-40 miles I topped off the tank with more 91 octane from a different filling station to see if it was a bad batch of fuel that it may dilute the crappy gas and clear things out. I will add that I have used approximately 10 gallons of the same gas from the same station in one of my ATVs and lawn mower and had no issues.

The weather was hot that day but I didn't have any similar issues when I was in Phoenix two weeks ago on the bike.

The bike is a 2009 f800gs with 1,650 miles on it. The bike had it's 600 mile service less than a month ago and just had the cooling system flushed within this past week.

Does anyone have any ideas/suggestions? Anyone having similar issues?

Thanks!

-A
bigalow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2012, 05:30 PM   #2
ebrabaek
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,671
As replied in the other thread.... I would try one ounce of techron for each of one gallon of gas..... for starters....

Erling
ebrabaek is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2012, 05:38 PM   #3
bigalow OP
Adventurer

my concern is that I have 4 days left on my warranty and I want any issues to be logged by the dealership prior to that date if I ever have a major that it can be linked back to.

I'll begin with the techron but I do find it interesting that this started immediately after I received the bike back from the BMW shop.
Old 07-23-2012, 05:41 PM   #4
ebrabaek
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigalow View Post
my concern is that I have 4 days left on my warranty and I want any issues to be logged by the dealership prior to that date if I ever have a major that it can be linked back to.

I'll begin with the techron but I do find it interesting that this started immediately after I received the bike back from the BMW shop.
In that case....then ride it.....film it....and when it stalls..... call road side ass .....again.... remember the filming.....

Erling
Old 07-23-2012, 05:46 PM   #5
bigalow OP
Adventurer

edit

I did do some searching but what I found seemed to be more of the bike stalling while it's being ridden and not at a stop/idling. I'll do more searching to see if I can find others with similar symptoms. thanks again for your responses
Old 07-23-2012, 06:41 PM   #6
XPEDITIONREADY
Adventurer

Oddometer: 59
I think your bike is just mad at you that in 3 years you have only put 1650 miles on it

Sorry I am not more help than that...

XPEDITIONREADY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2012, 06:53 PM   #7
ebrabaek
Beastly Adventurer

Might be something in here....

http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=420546

Erling
Old 07-23-2012, 07:48 PM   #8
bigalow OP
Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by XPEDITIONREADY View Post
I think your bike is just mad at you that in 3 years you have only put 1650 miles on it

Sorry I am not more help than that...
I just bought it less than a month ago.. It had 490 miles on it when I got it. Drove it from AZ to CO the day I bought it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ebrabaek View Post
Those problems are during driving and at higher rpms. My issue is when it's idoling, never when driving.

bigalow screwed with this post 07-23-2012 at 07:55 PM
Old 07-23-2012, 10:15 PM   #9
Indy Unlimited
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,288
Most likely injectors are slightly clogged with aluminum oxide particles from the fuel pump corrosion.

2013 Ducati Hypermotard SP, 2011 Husaberg FE570S, 2011 BMW S1000RR, 2010 BMW F800GS
2007 Husqvarna TE610 , 2003 KTM 525 MXC
Indy Unlimited is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2012, 01:37 AM   #10
dacrazyrn
ED RN Adventurer

Oddometer: 495
My post "in the other thread" with a video link in it
Read some in that thread mentioned earlier-this link is the same thread, but it is about only 10 posts "from the end" instead of at the beginning.
'09 BMW F800GS-Fate Honeyed GSabelle
dacrazyrn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2012, 09:08 AM   #11
bigalow OP
Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by dacrazyrn View Post
My post "in the other thread" with a video link in it
Read some in that thread mentioned earlier-this link is the same thread, but it is about only 10 posts "from the end" instead of at the beginning.
It seems most of those issues were when people were low on fuel and when they were moving. mine had over a 1/2 tank and has never stalled when the bike was in motion, only after it had been idling for 30-60 seconds. To me, it doesn't seem to be the same issue - I could definitely be wrong.
Old 07-24-2012, 11:05 AM   #12
nathan8315
Adventurer

Oddometer: 84
Have you opened the gas cap after the bike stalls out? I rode the 800 to work at the end of last week and it kept shutting off on me. Once I got to my parents house my dad opened the gas cap and found that the bike wasn't venting properly. The fuel pump wasn't able to pull the fuel through with the pressure built up. It wasnt a problem that was stranding me, bike would start right back up, but then shortly down then road at a light it would shut off again.
nathan8315 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2012, 11:11 AM   #13
bigalow OP
Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by nathan8315 View Post
Have you opened the gas cap after the bike stalls out? I rode the 800 to work at the end of last week and it kept shutting off on me. Once I got to my parents house my dad opened the gas cap and found that the bike wasn't venting properly. The fuel pump wasn't able to pull the fuel through with the pressure built up. It wasnt a problem that was stranding me, bike would start right back up, but then shortly down then road at a light it would shut off again.
I tried this several times. The 1st time was to just check to see if there was pressure built up. The second time I topped off the tank. Basically all this happened with a 1/2 and full tank of gas, even after I opened the filler cap several times before and after the fill up.

bigalow screwed with this post 07-24-2012 at 11:12 AM Reason: typos
Old 07-24-2012, 11:22 AM   #14
nathan8315
Adventurer

Oddometer: 84
Thats all I really have to offer from my experience. I too assumed it was the heat at first for mine, we have been in the 100's for some time now with the occasional 90's. My next suggestion would probably be something the dealer caused. Not sure what all is involved/removed from the bike for a radiator flush, but if the problem wasnt there before you took it in and started after I would wonder what they did that possibly caused it. I think you mentioned its still under warranty, I know there are some dealers people here have mentioned that go the extra mile, maybe try one of those. But I think you also mentioned its pretty close to expiring. I may be wrong but I think the Grand Junction one was a good one? or it was just a close one to the TAT from Moab.
nathan8315 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2012, 12:18 PM   #15
dacrazyrn
ED RN Adventurer

Oddometer: 495
anyway…I would get it videoed and documented and back to the dealer before warranty is up. If they have to replace fuel pump, fuel pump electronics and injectors, as they did on mine…gonna COST ya. And it is documented prior to warranty expiration with them, so if it continues after, they will still cover it.
I literally rubber banded my iPhone to my GPS RAM arm to get my video, just a month prior to warranty expiration.
'09 BMW F800GS-Fate Honeyed GSabelle
dacrazyrn is offline   Reply With Quote