Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-24-2012, 12:49 PM   #16
bigalow OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by dacrazyrn View Post
anyway…I would get it videoed and documented and back to the dealer before warranty is up. If they have to replace fuel pump, fuel pump electronics and injectors, as they did on mine…gonna COST ya. And it is documented prior to warranty expiration with them, so if it continues after, they will still cover it.
I literally rubber banded my iPhone to my GPS RAM arm to get my video, just a month prior to warranty expiration.
Currently the bike is back at the dealership. I called them a couple hours after I picked it up last Saturday to inform them of the issue. They advised that I get it back to them for diagnostics. The shop called this morning to 'okay' 1 hours worth of diagnostics if it wasn't a warranty issue. I thought that was odd since the bike didn't have the issue when I brought it to them.

Anyone wanna take the bet that they claim it's not a warranty issue?

I'll definitely be videoing all my rides between now and Friday.

bigalow screwed with this post 07-24-2012 at 12:50 PM Reason: edits
bigalow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2012, 04:56 PM   #17
ebrabaek
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,667
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigalow View Post
Currently the bike is back at the dealership. I called them a couple hours after I picked it up last Saturday to inform them of the issue. They advised that I get it back to them for diagnostics. The shop called this morning to 'okay' 1 hours worth of diagnostics if it wasn't a warranty issue. I thought that was odd since the bike didn't have the issue when I brought it to them.

I'll definitely be videoing all my rides between now and Friday.
As I mentioned earlier..... You have idiots for a dealer..... There are a few in the denver area..... Remember reading other members here having trouble with a denver dealer. Take it somewhere else.

Erling
ebrabaek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2012, 06:21 PM   #18
bigalow OP
Adventurer

Quote:

So after speaking with the guys at the shop a short bit ago, they said that they have started the process of requesting permission for BMW warrantied work. My understanding is that there is a procedure that each dealership has to go through to make sure their work is covered/approved. Anyways, I am told that there is a fuel delivery issue that should be covered under the warranty. The fuel delivery is spiking at times and not consistent so I'm told. They haven't gotten into it yet but they think it could be a fuel pump problem.

I'll update you all tomorrow with both the issue as well as the 'warranty eligibility.'

Thanks again for everyone's input~
Old 07-25-2012, 06:17 AM   #19
larlec
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 233
Quote:
So after speaking with the guys at the shop a short bit ago, they said that they have started the process of requesting permission for BMW warrantied work. My understanding is that there is a procedure that each dealership has to go through to make sure their work is covered/approved. Anyways, I am told that there is a fuel delivery issue that should be covered under the warranty. The fuel delivery is spiking at times and not consistent so I'm told. They haven't gotten into it yet but they think it could be a fuel pump problem.

I'll update you all tomorrow with both the issue as well as the 'warranty eligibility.'

Thanks again for everyone's input~
Heard anything? I'm taking my 09 f650GS in for a pump today. How many times does this have to happen before a recall occurs? As others have noted, this could be a dangerous condition.
Old 07-25-2012, 07:34 AM   #20
Conrad
Karlshuld

Oddometer: 209
Sounds as if you have a less-than-competent dealer and/or one who is not customer-oriented. You should file a complaint with BMW Motorrad against this dealer....perhaps that will get their attention, however, it will repair their incompetence.
Old 07-25-2012, 08:49 PM   #21
bigalow OP
Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by larlec View Post
Heard anything? I'm taking my 09 f650GS in for a pump today. How many times does this have to happen before a recall occurs? As others have noted, this could be a dangerous condition.
UPDATE - guess what? The faulty fuel pump is NOT going to be covered under warranty.

According to the service manager at Foothills BMW/Triumph, they feel that since the bike sat for the majority of it's 1st three years of it's existence, that it is going to be considered neglect. Why is it I can't find anything in the warranty that states that the bike must be ridden a minimum amount of time monthly/annually etc? Not to mention, the bike had it's routine services all completed slightly ahead of time by BMW dealerships/shops. With less than 36 hours left on my warranty and a diagnostic bill that I'm not very happy about, does anyone have any last minute suggestions?

Not sure if I take the bike to a different dealership at this point if it would do any good since according to the dealership a regional corporate person/group make these decisions (PUMA?). I'm confused as others seem to have better experiences and also refer to their local dealerships 'going the extra mile for them.' Why is it that the dealership seems to want to blame corporate for these decisions?

Is there any grounds for legal action? I'm not looking to get money, just my bike being cared for under it's manufactures warranty. I would think that it would legally need to stated in the warranty that the bike needs to be ridden x amount of mile in x period of time in order to not void the warranty - but I'm no attorney.

Needless to say, I can not recommend Foothills BMW/Triumph for service work after my 2 recent disappointing experiences. I can definitely say that they DO NOT go the extra mile for their customers.
Old 07-25-2012, 09:05 PM   #22
ebrabaek
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,667
I don't mean to sound like a dork...... But that's why I said earlier take it to another dealer. Not much you can do now..... But foothills have been mentioned before here on advr...... As uhhhmmmm...... Bad dealer... At this point you can call customer service..... But I can't see them do much. Sorry..... But I think this could have been avoided with a good dealer. IMHO....

Erling
ebrabaek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2012, 09:19 PM   #23
bigalow OP
Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by ebrabaek View Post
I don't mean to sound like a dork...... But that's why I said earlier take it to another dealer. Not much you can do now..... But foothills have been mentioned before here on advr...... As uhhhmmmm...... Bad dealer... At this point you can call customer service..... But I can't see them do much. Sorry..... But I think this could have been avoided with a good dealer. IMHO....
The reason I took it back to Foothills is that the problem started the afternoon I picked the bike up from them. I assumed (and we see where that got me) that the situation might change as there seemed to be more to the initial problem, and that there was also a chance that they accidentally did something that needed to be corrected. I wanted to give them the chance to rectify the situation if that was the case. I have not had the bike in 4 days - I've been supposedly waiting on corporate to approve the work that I'm now being told is denied by them.

Does anyone know if it's the actual dealership that makes these calls? I have a hard time believing that I'm 'up the creek' due to a bad dealership. I can always pick it up tomorrow and take it to another dealer. But if I have to pay another $100+ dollars for them to tell me the same thing b/c it's a corporate decision, it seems that I'd just be giving away money at that point. That said, I'd do it if people thought it might actually make a difference.

bigalow screwed with this post 07-25-2012 at 09:19 PM Reason: clarity
Old 07-25-2012, 09:54 PM   #24
dacrazyrn
ED RN Adventurer

Oddometer: 495
If another dealer won't mess with it, I would be talking to corporate with definite "threats" of lawyering up. Not a bad idea to load up on BBB website and at NHTSA with a complaint, too. Lots of bikes out there that are ridden under 600 miles a year and are fine. Not to mention UNDER your warranty period. At least one thing…they said it needs to be replaced WHILE IT WAS UNDER WARRANTY, so you can always have that it was in prior to warranty ended.
GOOD LUCK!
'09 BMW F800GS-Fate Honeyed GSabelle
dacrazyrn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2012, 11:06 PM   #25
Indy Unlimited
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,288
Foothills has a bad reputation in not fighting for your warranty rights.
Other dealers are more persistent and no how to get thru the warranty roadblocks much better.
BMW of Denver is a much better dealer.

2013 Ducati Hypermotard SP, 2011 Husaberg FE570S, 2011 BMW S1000RR, 2010 BMW F800GS
2007 Husqvarna TE610 , 2003 KTM 525 MXC
Indy Unlimited is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2012, 11:11 PM   #26
bigalow OP
Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Indy Unlimited View Post
Foothills has a bad reputation in not fighting for your warranty rights.
Other dealers are more persistent and no how to get thru the warranty roadblocks much better.
BMW of Denver is a much better dealer.
I wish I would have known before I got involved with them.

I believe I will call Denver BMW and discuss my situation tomorrow. I'm curious to know if/how a dealer with a better reputation for service and warranty rights would handle the situation.

bigalow screwed with this post 07-25-2012 at 11:16 PM Reason: add
Old 07-25-2012, 11:52 PM   #27
docsherlock
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 461
That is fucking ridiculous.

I'd pay to have it done and sue BMW for the money. You will win. My bet is that they won't even bother fight it but just pay up.
docsherlock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2012, 12:09 AM   #28
Geology Rocks
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 484
Another reason I refuse to buy BMW...especially from Foothills. I called for a service estimate and got told $799 as a base price for the 12,000 miles. I called back 2 days later and was told $249. Well?

This sucks...i want an 800gs bad, but your story scares me away. good luck man

Joe
Geology Rocks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2012, 07:38 AM   #29
Conrad
Karlshuld

Oddometer: 209
Call Denver BMW. Call the Better Business Bureau. Call a lawyer. Write a formal letter of complaint to BMW Motorrad. Call the local TV station(s). Call the local newspaper citizen-complaint division. Send BMW Motorrad an email telling them that you are in the process of doing these things.....something will happen that should be in your best interest.

You are not asking for anything that is not deserved...you are only asking that your warranty be honored.
Old 07-26-2012, 08:14 AM   #30
Lion BR
I'd rather be riding

Oddometer: 3,678
Quote:
UPDATE - guess what? The faulty fuel pump is NOT going to be covered under warranty.

With less than 36 hours left on my warranty and a diagnostic bill that I'm not very happy about, does anyone have any last minute suggestions?

I could be wrong, but you have a "time stamp" on the diagnosis and the estimate performed by a BMW dealer. That is proof the problem was identified before warranty expired.

Either way, I would follow the advise of others and take it to another dealer for this service - be it a warranty issue or not.

I'd rather be riding!

Lion BR is online now   Reply With Quote