Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > Latin America
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-23-2012, 07:07 PM   #1
craig haggart OP
Old guy having fun!

Oddometer: 99
Where to rent a (smaller) bike in Nicaragua or Costa Rica?

A friend and I would like to ride in Nicaragua for about 2 weeks this coming Christmas, but I'm having a hard time finding motorcycle rental places there. We could easily fly into Costa Rica instead, although we'd need a place that would allow their rental bikes to cross the border (which is often explicitly prohibited).

We both prefer smaller bikes. My ideal bike is a Honda NX4 Falcon and my friend likes 250s (e.g., KLX 250), but something like the Bajaj Pulsar would also work if those are available. In any case, neither of us is interested in the usual big BMWs or KTMs.

Does anyone here have a rental outfit they can recommend in Nicaragua, or know of anyone with smaller bikes to rent in Costa Rica that we can ride to Nicaragua? The only place I've turned up in Managua by looking online is a place that rents a 200cc "farm bike." That might be OK if it's really the only option, but it seems to me that there might be something else available.
'Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry, and narrow-mindedness' - Mark Twain
craig haggart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2012, 07:19 PM   #2
EvilClown
Reality show stunt double

Oddometer: 16,360
You might check with Thursten at Wild Riders in San Jose. Have had good luck there in CR. He's told us we can take them to Nicaragua next time. I know there's a higher damage deposit if it is going across the border.

The future is no place to place your better days. ~ DMB

ECUADOR: Maintaining Rigid Flexibility
EvilClown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2012, 07:28 PM   #3
craig haggart OP
Old guy having fun!

Awesome! Thanks for the tip. Higher damage deposit would be no problem.

By the way, we'd also happily consider renting in El Salvador if anyone knows of a good option there, again as long as it's possible to take the bikes across the border.
Old 07-25-2012, 03:54 PM   #4
TeeVee
His mudda was a mudda!

Oddometer: 750
if your goal is to ride in nicaragua, i'd say it's a bad idea to rent elsewhere:

1. border crossings will suck major balls
2. local cops will more likely than not bust your balls
3. plan being stopped, harassed, and shaken down for some $$

rentals in nica are super rare. salcar, a fellow inmate, rents yami dt 175's and ag200's--both decent bikes.

there is a local place in san juan del sur that rents but no clue as to quality or models. most likely designed for in/around town rentals.

i have friends that may rent bigger bikes (650's) out on a case by case basis. if interested let me know
TeeVee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2012, 05:29 PM   #5
craig haggart OP
Old guy having fun!

Thanks, TeeVee! Good info about ball-busting. If you know anyone personally who might be willing to rent bikes in Nicaragua, that would be awesome. We are not actually interested in large bikes (e.g., BMW or KTM). Our ideal bikes will be in the 250 to 400cc range.

One of my bikes here at home is a DR-Z 400 SM, and I don't want to rent anything larger than that. In fact, I wouldn't even pick my DR-Z as a first choice because the stock seat is extremely uncomfortable to me, and I seriously doubt that anyone renting a DR-Z in Central America would put a Corbin or Renazco saddle on it!

My ideal bike for this short trip is the Honda NX4 Falcon (400cc). It appears to use the same seat as my CBR 600 F4. It's also less of a dirt bike than the DR-Z, making it at least somewhat easier to carry stuff.

My buddy has a Super Sherpa, so a KLX 250 would suit him just fine.
Old 07-25-2012, 06:20 PM   #6
TeeVee
His mudda was a mudda!

Well in Nica there aren't that many choices. I assume you will be doing mostly asphalt and want to avoid dirt. Correct? Well, you will be missing out on the best parts of the country.

I'll ask around but I doubt you'll find any nx400's for rent and probably not any klx's. Honestly the dt175 that salcar rents as well as the ag200 are not bad bikes. Although the dt may not be the most comfortable for long days in the saddle.

I'll email my group and see if anyone has any leads.
Old 07-25-2012, 09:33 PM   #7
craig haggart OP
Old guy having fun!

Quote:
Originally Posted by TeeVee View Post
I assume you will be doing mostly asphalt and want to avoid dirt. Correct? Well, you will be missing out on the best parts of the country.
No, I think getting off the pavement will undoubtedly occur from time to time. Neither of us has ever been to Nicaragua before, so we don't really know what to expect with the roads. However, rest assured the end of pavement definitely will not end our trip! I don't mind taking a bike on unpaved roads that wasn't specifically intended for that -- if the bike is a reasonable size. My last offroad ride was on a Ninja 250.

Quote:
I'll ask around but I doubt you'll find any nx400's for rent and probably not any klx's.
That's kinda what I figured, but I if there were any to be had, I thought someone here or on HUBB might know. Flying into Costa Rica to rent bikes creates a dilemma: There are more options, but from what you say it could be a problem once we got into Nicaragua. And we both really do want to ride in Nicaragua.

Quote:
I'll email my group and see if anyone has any leads.
That would be wonderful. Feel free to PM unless you think it's info that others would be interested in.
Old 07-26-2012, 10:22 AM   #8
panchogarrancho
Adventurer

Oddometer: 18
I got 2 DR's650,my personal bikes that I can rent you for 2 weeks,same rate than C.Rica and will include gear.They are fully farkled including upgraded seats,bags,fuel cans,fork braces ect.
I have been all around the country on this bikes and know it really well,can give maps and hotel tips too.
Like TVEE says you are better of avoiding border crossings.Hes been around this boonies quite a bit.
Have fun,drop me a line when in town if you need any tips.
panchogarrancho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2012, 10:33 AM   #9
TeeVee
His mudda was a mudda!

Pancho is one of my group on the ground in Nica. We r both pretty sure that you will not find what u r looking for in Nica.
Old 07-26-2012, 11:34 AM   #10
craig haggart OP
Old guy having fun!

You guys are AWESOME. Pancho, I will talk to my riding buddy and see if DR 650s would be preferable to the 200 farm bikes.
Old 07-30-2012, 03:46 AM   #11
salcar
Riding 4 Health

Oddometer: 1,076
I have a small outfit renting bikes in Nicaragua. I have 2 models that I'm currently renting. One is the Yamaha AG 200 that I bought last year and have approximately 6,000 Km on them. I also just bought 5 YBR 125 G that have less than 50 Km on them.

You can check the price here.

I'll be happy to answer any questions and glad that you are thinking about coming down to Nica

If you do a thread search you'll find that several inmates have come down to ride in Nicaragua with out bikes.

salcar screwed with this post 07-30-2012 at 05:43 AM
salcar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2012, 01:32 PM   #12
junglemototours
trailplug

Oddometer: 1,432
Quote:
Originally Posted by salcar View Post
I have a small outfit renting bikes in Nicaragua. I have 2 models that I'm currently renting. One is the Yamaha AG 200 that I bought last year and have approximately 6,000 Km on them. I also just bought 5 YBR 125 G that have less than 50 Km on them.

You can check the price here.

I'll be happy to answer any questions and glad that you are thinking about coming down to Nica

If you do a thread search you'll find that several inmates have come down to ride in Nicaragua with out bikes.
Are you buddies with Jon Beck?
junglemototours is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2012, 06:57 PM   #13
salcar
Riding 4 Health

Oddometer: 1,076
Quote:
Originally Posted by junglemototours View Post
Are you buddies with Jon Beck?
Yeah! I've ridden with him many times both in California and Nicaragua and usually comes down to Nica to guide the motorcycle tours.
Old 07-31-2012, 10:24 AM   #14
junglemototours
trailplug

I'm working on getting a bunch of ktm or GG 300's in Costa Rica...we'll have to get together and talk someday, Nica to Panama moto tours.
Old 08-01-2012, 10:59 AM   #15
junglemototours
trailplug

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SoYWKz38hnU&feature=plcp