Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Orange Crush
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-27-2012, 09:03 AM   #16
Grinderman
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 121
Hey Hodgo. Can you mention some reasons you like the hp4 vs a mt21 or 606. My knobbys are toast. Looking for best option. I have a 2nd set of wheels for my road trips so my knobby wheels are only for the really fun stuff
Grinderman is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2012, 03:00 PM   #17
Hodgo
TWIN Cylinder ADV

Oddometer: 1,542
Mate,
Ive tried them all. The HP4 is a bit harder to obtain here in OZ but the side walls are constructed of much sturdier stuff than any other tyre I have tested.

They wear well and are predictable on the tar. Not that flash in mud but I try and stay out of that unless caught out.

For heavy bikes, ADV, SE and AT pressures in the front tyre can be run a lot lower than other tyres without damaging the front wheel. You could run pressures down to 20 psi or even less. Personally I keep pressures in the high 20's to low 30's for hard pack type riding on heavy bikes.

I have had 9000kms out of one HP4 on the AT.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grinderman View Post
Hey Hodgo. Can you mention some reasons you like the hp4 vs a mt21 or 606. My knobbys are toast. Looking for best option. I have a 2nd set of wheels for my road trips so my knobby wheels are only for the really fun stuff
www.facebook.com/KTM950SE
Retired.. CR500E & lots more
Hodgo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2012, 05:33 PM   #18
Grinderman
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 121
Thanks so much for the reply. I'll give it a try.
Grinderman is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2012, 05:23 AM   #19
sledstorm1
CT RAMBLER'S MC CLUB

Oddometer: 814
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hodgo View Post
Michelin HP4 Only front tyre I will use on a heavy ADV bike
I jumped into the 990 foray also looking to knob up, while reading many front and rear tire posts I came across the HP4 tire thread. Well after finding them on fleabay for $29 shipped! I bought 2 and I have to say after about 800 miles they are fantastic everywhere, especially if you can find that deal again!

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Michelin-Sta...sories&vxp=mtr

They seemed to have bumped the price to 49 shipped which still aint bad

sledstorm1 screwed with this post 07-29-2012 at 05:28 AM
sledstorm1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2012, 07:44 AM   #20
henryroten
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 232
Quote:
Originally Posted by sledstorm1 View Post
I jumped into the 990 foray also looking to knob up, while reading many front and rear tire posts I came across the HP4 tire thread. Well after finding them on fleabay for $29 shipped! I bought 2 and I have to say after about 800 miles they are fantastic everywhere, especially if you can find that deal again!

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Michelin-Sta...sories&vxp=mtr

They seemed to have bumped the price to 49 shipped which still aint bad
My concern about the HP4 is that the Michelin website states that it was designed for "hardpack, 'extreme bluegroove' conditions" which don't exist where I ride, which is why I prefer the Dunlop 606 or MT 21 as a front choice. To each his own.
henryroten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2012, 06:23 AM   #21
Fundy Rider
Where 2?

Oddometer: 233
Low Fender Fit

Being a 90-100-21 how do the hp4 fit the low fender on the 950adv?
Old 05-19-2013, 10:05 AM   #22
montibank
Happy

Oddometer: 2,735
Had an MT21 on my DR... Really liked it on pavement but swapped to a golden boy cause it was cheaper and didnt need that much offroad capability. Darn 606 I have mounted now on my 950 is toast, was hoping it would last all summer. So much for that.

Commuting on the 950 now, but want a knobbie up front for the summer months. Plan on getting a set of 17"s or a 19"/17" kit, just need a decent knobbie to get me through the rest of summer. Which am I likely to get more miles from:
MT21
D606
or
HP4?

I have owned this bike 1.5 months, I have a 48 tooth rear sprocket on its way and as with every bike I have ever owned I plan to push it till I find its limits offroad then dial it back just a hair. If I can find a knobbie that'll get me ~4000 miles and hit short runs of double track trails without pitching me every ten minutes I'd be thrilled.
montibank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2013, 04:23 AM   #23
Fundy Rider
Where 2?

Michelin starcross HP4

I also read that thread from Australia regarding the HP4. At the time I was using a Mezeler Karoo 2t. Thought I would give it a try for the sale price at the time.

Had a dirt trip to go on so figured I would use it for that than get a more 50/50 tire. It did great everywhere I would want to go with the big bike. Very confident in all areas and I can't believe the wear I am getting. Over 3 thousand kms and the divots in the knobs are still somewhat visible with over a half inch of knob left.

I love the bigger (90/100-21) tire to help with that soft front wheel giving just a little more cushion.

TKC Don't even bother. Had it off in a couple hrs. Way too soft for our bikes if you ride it the way it should be ridden. Hard.

Even the street is shocking good for a Knobby tire.

HP4 All the way!!!
Old 05-20-2013, 12:59 PM   #24
Fundy Rider
Where 2?

HP4 Fender fit

For the HP4 90/100-21 it is about three quarters of and inch taller and with the knobs you will want to raise the fender a bit.

I just made some spacers. The front was .750" and the rear spacers were .800". Just about the max you can raise it to avoid damage at full travel. It will make very very slight contact. Figure there is about .200" that interferes but it is no biggie as the fender will flex the wee bit it needs.

Fish mouth the spacers to clear the forks on travel.

How did you use my Sig. to reply to this forum? Whoever asked this question regarding fender fitment with the hp4.
Old 05-20-2013, 06:13 PM   #25
rossguzzi
990 Adv.

Oddometer: 787
Dam, I was getting excited about the HP4 but I dont think it is DOT rated. Bummer.
rossguzzi is offline   Reply With Quote