Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Ride reports
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-25-2012, 08:46 AM   #31
Radioman
Moto rider

Oddometer: 4,946

Just read your report and enjoyed it. Have made the ride to Alaska myself and enjoyed reliving it.

Glad you met Jack. Great guy!! and appreciated the interaction with other riders along the way! always the best part of riding for me.

Great Job on your ride report, and the adventure. Proves that the bike does not matter! It is about the adventure!!

Ride of my Lifetime...... Thread started 5/11/2011 http://advrider.com/forums/showthrea...0#post15950430
Radioman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2012, 09:13 AM   #32
Alcan Rider
Frozen Fossil

Oddometer: 3,851
Lorie,

A most excellent report! Glad you illustrated it lavishly with your great photos. With this ride you managed to raise the bar several notches for your male counterparts. It was certainly an honor to spend some time riding along with you, sharing a few of the miles.

A "colorful character", in more ways than one, with a grin that never seemed to fade. -

Now it's just a question of "Where to next?" Ride safe, Young Lady. Enjoy many more happy miles.

Jack

PS: Getting ready to head south - I'll gladly trade some of that rain you experienced for the heat of Arizona in August.
Haul Road Primer
Alcan Rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2012, 10:07 AM   #33
rico2072
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 314
Great report, awesome pictures, and a new you, what else can you ask for? LOL
Couple of questions.
How did you come up with a number for the financial side of the trip?
How did you pick your route? I'm sure you got a lot of suggestions, but how was the final roads chosen.
What brand maps did you use? GPS help?
Why the tape on the mirrors? guessing wind/gravel protection.
rico2072 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2012, 10:14 AM   #34
Deuce
Crazy Canuck

Oddometer: 2,702
Quote:
Originally Posted by Radioman View Post
......Proves that the bike does not matter! It is about the adventure!!
And the rider! Great ride report, pics.
Old 07-25-2012, 10:56 AM   #35
Redbuddha
Adventurer

Oddometer: 36
Nice RR, quick question how did you decide on the busa?
Old 07-25-2012, 11:46 AM   #36
Squishy
Positively charged

Oddometer: 1,014
Quote:
Originally Posted by theshnizzle View Post
One of these things is not like the other!

This HUGE rig parked at the Gold rush and created a furor. Who are they? What is THAT? What the hell.....!!
I've seen these in Europe & the Grand Canyon. Like Contiki tours, sleeping quarters on the back...if you want to live like sardines! I'd rather pitch the tent, mind you who wants to take an organised tour anyway, have always had more adventures, doing speradic trips, & doing the funky things along the way!

Great RR, cool bike, knarly adventurer!!
Squishy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2012, 12:39 PM   #37
theshnizzle OP
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 831
Quote:
Originally Posted by rico2072 View Post
Great report, awesome pictures, and a new you, what else can you ask for? LOL
Couple of questions.
How did you come up with a number for the financial side of the trip?
How did you pick your route? I'm sure you got a lot of suggestions, but how was the final roads chosen.
What brand maps did you use? GPS help?
Why the tape on the mirrors? guessing wind/gravel protection.
I roughly calculated what an " average" campsite may cost,sussed out fuel prices by trying to follow price trends where I knew I was going to ride,and just used maps from CAA. I need to see where I am in relation to where I want to end up. And look at all route options and change my mind when I want.

There's not really that many routes to get to where I wanted to go but I knew I wanted to ride some of the south BC roads and thankfully this forum provided a great route that I followed,thanks again BC guys!

oh, back to expenses....roughly calculated my mileage,by how many litres my tank holds,I think it was in the ballpark of 500 fillups?...and just added the numbers then rounded up ,of course.

To get the funds for the trip, I sold my car,my van,my computer,my tablet,my " adventure " bike I had bought for the trip,had a garage sale,sold as much gear as possible and tried to save as much money as possible. I paid for everything cash or debit so it was paid for right there,no nasty bills afterwards.

Yes, tape was for wind protection and it was really effective. so much so, I may do that in spring and fall. Ideally, I would have something fabbed up that I could take on and off, that would be the same shape but that would be expensive, I'm guessing. Duct tape comes off easy enough with contact cleaner.

Ummm.....I think I am a little embarrassed about my " Dr Phil" moment there in my earlier post,note to self,after doing a night shift after being up all day,sleep before you post.....
theshnizzle is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2012, 12:53 PM   #38
oldtouring B
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 371
Very good RR

I am impressed by your courage. Going solo and remaining that way.

I was most surprised by your hair color!

Never be embarrased to express your true feelings. More folks should do that rather than hiding in liquids or pills.

You should be very proud. Ride safe.
oldtouring B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2012, 01:05 PM   #39
65bmwr50
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 534
Thumb Great ride report!

Thanks for sharing. It was fun following along.

An adventure is only an inconvenience rightly considered. An inconvenience is an adventure wrongly considered. - G. K. Chesterton
65bmwr50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2012, 01:14 PM   #40
FLARider1
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,204
Excellent report!! Major cudos to you for the TOW ride. I rode it in the rain last year on a GSA and sometimes I felt like 'am I ever gonna get to Dawson!!??". You hooked up with some amazing people. I owe a huge amount of the success of my trip to Fite, The Dick, ALCANRider and several others. Route planning, dos and don'ts and Jack gave me the $2.50 tour to Valdez for the mere fee of some fudge!!! Great bunch of inmates up that way!!

Congrats on an amazing trip on a bike most people would not have dared to take up there!!!

I am pretty sure we were at the same row of sites at the same campground just a year apart!!
My morning view at the Camp Ground on 37
FLARider1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2012, 01:19 PM   #41
theshnizzle OP
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 831
Quote:
Originally Posted by Redbuddha View Post
Nice RR, quick question how did you decide on the busa?
Last year I capitulated and bought a 2009 Honda CBF 1000 because I thought you needed that type of bike to ride up north. It was tall and heavy for me and even after various modifications to have it fit me, I was never as comfortable on it as I am on my busa.

When I am on my Hayabusa, I feel like I can ride anywhere and do anything,i am very,very comfortable on it. And for a trip like this, that was really important for me. My last busa, I had no problem dragging the fairing through corners as evidenced by a big rub mark on my side panel.

( When I found it, I blamed it on the kids knocking my bike over and not telling me but my BF patiently pointed out that it matched the scrubbed off feeler peg on that side......oh.......OMG !!! REALLY! Yes, I kow,dragging hard parts is not the way to go,but it was pretty exciting at the time. I am not going to drag the fairing on my white one, it's too pretty.....)
theshnizzle is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2012, 01:28 PM   #42
RonS
Out there...

Oddometer: 17,749
Well done! The first time I went up the Alcan it was on an Aprilia Futura. A good sport touring setup is perfect for about 90% of the trip. Like your top of the world ride though, it's that 10% that's a bitch
RonS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2012, 02:20 PM   #43
GISdood
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 855
Quote:
Originally Posted by theshnizzle View Post
Ummm.....I think I am a little embarrassed about my " Dr Phil" moment there in my earlier post,note to self,after doing a night shift after being up all day,sleep before you post.....
Are you kidding? That's what adds impact to great RR's like this. Lots of ride reports seem to be just so much generic filler text and pretty pictures with captions.

Yours has shown much, much more - a goal set past the horizon, personal growth, setbacks, breakthroughs and accomplishments. If anything, your "Dr Phil moment" added an appropriate epilogue to the report. Kudos to you, shnizzle!
GISdood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2012, 02:38 PM   #44
vintagespeed
fNg

Oddometer: 1,552
great report, and really liked the honest commentary afterward. just what i needed actually.

TAT-2013: http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=913898
SoCal_NoDak-2012: http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=829203
vintagespeed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2012, 02:41 PM   #45
skierd
Wannabe Far-Rider

Oddometer: 2,858
Great ride! Glad I had a chance to meet you briefly at D2D, thanks for showing everyone how its supposed to be done: with great enthusiasm and happiness!

Quote:
I know that I didn't traverse the world or go on a particularly exotic adventure,but it was MY mountain on a bike that everyone said would be a complete folly and I overcame the my trepadations,tried to turn negatives into positives...( I tried, OK....I tried...!!!) and came out the other end a better person.
Goddamn right! Thanks for sharing with us.
skierd is offline   Reply With Quote