Oddometer: 451
Easy! there is only one answer V-MAX

bodhisattva65 screwed with this post 02-02-2013 at 08:47 AM
bodhisattva65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2013, 09:03 PM   #62
advNZer?
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,809
hayabusa 155 nm =114 ft ibs,at 7200 but its a very flat and smooth tourque curve.And despite the look the riding position is pretty relaxed
Old 02-02-2013, 01:18 PM   #63
Aussijussi
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,137
Quote:
Originally Posted by btcn View Post
Well I am pretty pecular about RPMs. I just don't like my engine revving higher than it needs to. For example, Harley's stock gearing on the 6 speeds is approved by me. Its not like rediclously tall gearing. Actually, its pretty short gearing, 6th gear will have you turning as high as 2,800 RPM @ 70-75 MPH. But the engine loves that range. Many say H-Ds sweet spot if 3K RPM. Around there it runs the coolest, and its the least stressed. Its got all the torque and most HP there.

But my 85 Shadow 700. Its got pretty good torque. But when the wind hits you have to run 4th or 5th gear. It WILL pull 6th, but its like WOT, and 4th and 5th its more comfortable [less throttle imput required]. But I don't like the sound, and the vibration. The MPG goes down the drain too in these conditions often.

Now, if you just wanna hop on and fly down the highway or your a gear jammer, a H-D ain't for you.

But what I'm getting at is I hate how we can't get diesels, in addition to the regular lineup. I mean the possibility to run bio diesel and other renewable resources is also appealing to me. I hear IDIs work great for this [in direct injection, like on the late 80s to mid 90s Ford 6.9 and 7.3, the non powerstroke non turbo naturally aspirited engines, has pre combustion chambers]. I am not a huge fan of Fords any longer, but I do believe the 7.3 IDI was a pretty good engine. It had reasonable numbers, but it was slow. But relibility wise it was better than a stock 6.0 for sure, with all that emmisions shit.

Diesels don't burn that dirty, espically on things like vegtable oil. They get MUCH better MPG numbers. Unless you drive in the city a lot, or your a librael, you'd be foolish to get a priest over a small diesel like a Jetta TDI. Better yet wait till the new diesel hybrids Volkswagon was talking about! I bet it'll do better than 70 MPG! The hybrids mainly shine in the city.

But for motorcycles. Yes a lot of people are rich and don't give a damn about riding fuel costs. I do. I actually save no gas riding. I ride SO much, just cruising around, I use more gas than I would without it! My shadow gets a respectable 55-60 MPG or so. But if it was a diesel 700 cc I could expect close to 100 MPG. Instead of the SHITTY ass 150 mile range on the puny 3 gallon tank, I would get about 290 miles on that same tank for $8! That would be quite an improvement.

The bike would be slower, but have a lot of torque. For sportbikers, gear jammers, adrenaline lovers, a diesel bike would be useless. But for cruiser riders it'd be nice.
Europe has gone diesel in a big way. The new diesels are amazing, BMW M550d, puts out 381bhp, 740 newton meters, between 2000-3000rpm, it does the 0-60mph in 4,9 sec, top it all of with 45mpg! So yeah, bring out the diesel bikes, i think there is a bloke in Holland that put's a diesel motor into a KTM frame, quite expensive at the moment though.
Yeah, i drive a diesel Skoda, 270 000 miles, virtually trouble free, cheap to run.
Aussijussi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2013, 12:02 PM   #64
southwade
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Oddometer: 1,745
Everyone always overlooks the Z1000...

Old 07-28-2013, 06:33 AM   #65
Firemanmike69
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 125
They did make a diesel motorcycle, it had less Hp and torque than the gas engine it replaced http://www.dieselpowermag.com/news/0...e/viewall.html
Firemanmike69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2013, 10:13 AM   #66
DAKEZ
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 19,697
Quote:
The Rocket III definitly! I just wish it was geared taller. 5th gear is only 62 MPH and already at 2,500 RPM!

-Roadstar 1600/1700: 99 ft/lbs @ 2,250 RPM
-Vulcan 2000 142 ft/lbs @ 2,800 RPM
-Rocket III 2,294 cc 147-165 ft/lbs @2,500 RPM

Medium:

-Honda VTX 1800 120 ft/lbs @ 3,500 RPM
STOP LUGGING YOUR MOTORCYCLES!!!

You should be in 4th gear at 60 mph on a Rocket III.
Old 07-28-2013, 10:24 AM   #67
p0diabl0
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 550
Quote:
Originally Posted by Firemanmike69 View Post
They did make a diesel motorcycle, it had less Hp and torque than the gas engine it replaced http://www.dieselpowermag.com/news/0...e/viewall.html
Less power than a KLR engine, they had to have really been trying .
p0diabl0 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2013, 09:51 PM   #68
FloorPoor
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 710
Quote:
Originally Posted by warrior1677 View Post
if it's not to late the RS Warrior is an excellent bike for a big twin.

+1, It has the same GREAT engine of the Road Star, but it's lighter and it actually handles. My father-in-laws stock Road Star will spank his Harley Night Train in all categories except handling. I can't seem to corner that thing anywhere without dragging the floor boards. The Yamaha is his daily driver, they're both 04's, and the Road Star has over 30K miles vs. the Harley's 6K. The Yamaha's engine is smother and feels MUCH stronger.

A friend has the RS Warrior though, and it is an absolute blast to ride. IF I were buying a cruiser (which is not likely) it would definitely be an RS Warrior.

"There's nothing like that fresh tire feeling "
FloorPoor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2013, 09:57 PM   #69
FloorPoor
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 710
Quote:
Originally Posted by p0diabl0 View Post
Less power than a KLR engine, they had to have really been trying .
I bet if you managed to put a turbo on it it would change things quite a bit

It's probably not much fun to ride, but 100mpg would be pretty sweet with the price of fuel lately. But wait, I guess you can already get 100mpg on a scooter that's also not much fun to ride

"There's nothing like that fresh tire feeling "
FloorPoor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2013, 10:20 PM   #70
rakad
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 274
Consider another used Honda

To the OP: Consider a Valkyrie to replace your Shadow. Honest 100 ft/lb of torque. Jewel of a motor. Awesome brakes. Crappy cornering clearance. Lots of torque for the money.
rakad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2013, 10:59 PM   #71
kamikazekyle
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 140
Well, considering the thread was started over a year ago then abandoned for a few months till resurrected, I wonder if the OP actually purchased a new bike?

Quote:
Originally Posted by southwade View Post
Everyone always overlooks the Z1000...

Ninja 1000 owner here. It still boggles my mind sometimes how well Kawi nailed that power curve but did so in an inline 4.
kamikazekyle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2013, 05:09 AM   #72
Firemanmike69
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 125
Quote:
Originally Posted by FloorPoor View Post
I bet if you managed to put a turbo on it it would change things quite a bit

It's probably not much fun to ride, but 100mpg would be pretty sweet with the price of fuel lately. But wait, I guess you can already get 100mpg on a scooter that's also not much fun to ride
0-60 in just under 10 seconds, that thing is probably awful to ride
Firemanmike69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2013, 09:53 PM   #73
longdude17
Adventurer

Oddometer: 31
With all the talk of the RS Warrior, it surprises me that people forget about the RS Raider. With the mods im running my last dyno session showed 112ftlbs torque and 104 hp. Surprisingly hard pulling cruiser. Its my female toter scooter.

I know its no "adventure" bike by some of yalls standards, but it will SPANK every harley except the V-rods, and will do so till 80mph. The Honda 1800 will give it a serious run for its money, but victorys usually hurt my feelings a touch.
longdude17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2013, 03:22 PM   #74
baldman1
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 202
This thing will pull your arms off.

Modded GPz1100 engine in a 750 frame.
baldman1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2013, 01:44 PM   #75
EastSideSM
Isn't that dangerous?

Oddometer: 1,490
Quote:
Well I am pretty pecular about RPMs. I just don't like my engine revving higher than it needs to. For example, Harley's stock gearing on the 6 speeds is approved by me. Its not like rediclously tall gearing. Actually, its pretty short gearing, 6th gear will have you turning as high as 2,800 RPM @ 70-75 MPH. But the engine loves that range. Many say H-Ds sweet spot if 3K RPM. Around there it runs the coolest, and its the least stressed. Its got all the torque and most HP there.

But my 85 Shadow 700. Its got pretty good torque. But when the wind hits you have to run 4th or 5th gear. It WILL pull 6th, but its like WOT, and 4th and 5th its more comfortable [less throttle imput required]. But I don't like the sound, and the vibration. The MPG goes down the drain too in these conditions often.

Now, if you just wanna hop on and fly down the highway or your a gear jammer, a H-D ain't for you.

But what I'm getting at is I hate how we can't get diesels, in addition to the regular lineup. I mean the possibility to run bio diesel and other renewable resources is also appealing to me. I hear IDIs work great for this [in direct injection, like on the late 80s to mid 90s Ford 6.9 and 7.3, the non powerstroke non turbo naturally aspirited engines, has pre combustion chambers]. I am not a huge fan of Fords any longer, but I do believe the 7.3 IDI was a pretty good engine. It had reasonable numbers, but it was slow. But relibility wise it was better than a stock 6.0 for sure, with all that emmisions shit.

Diesels don't burn that dirty, espically on things like vegtable oil. They get MUCH better MPG numbers. Unless you drive in the city a lot, or your a librael, you'd be foolish to get a priest over a small diesel like a Jetta TDI. Better yet wait till the new diesel hybrids Volkswagon was talking about! I bet it'll do better than 70 MPG! The hybrids mainly shine in the city.

But for motorcycles. Yes a lot of people are rich and don't give a damn about riding fuel costs. I do. I actually save no gas riding. I ride SO much, just cruising around, I use more gas than I would without it! My shadow gets a respectable 55-60 MPG or so. But if it was a diesel 700 cc I could expect close to 100 MPG. Instead of the SHITTY ass 150 mile range on the puny 3 gallon tank, I would get about 290 miles on that same tank for $8! That would be quite an improvement.

The bike would be slower, but have a lot of torque. For sportbikers, gear jammers, adrenaline lovers, a diesel bike would be useless. But for cruiser riders it'd be nice.
Are you planning on pulling stumps with your "torquey" motorcycle? I don't understand the insistence on HUGE torque and low RPM.