ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > Northeast - Greater Flugistan and home of the carpet baggers.
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-03-2012, 08:32 AM   #1
MR.TRUMP OP
Crazy Adventurer

Oddometer: 12
Good off road areas to get lost in near NYC?

Hey y'all,

I've recently got into adventure riding and bought a F800GS and have fully equipped it. I wanted to ask you guys and see if you know of any good rides, trails, fire roads that I could go test my bike and learn riding off road. I'm a big camper (grew up in Wyoming/Montana) so something that I can go off road and get lost in. I know that you don't have as much wilderness as out west but I'm sure there is enough

I appreciate it!
MR.TRUMP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2012, 11:14 AM   #3
Happy Seal
User Awaiting Email Confirmation

Oddometer: 2,536
Hey Jr, how's it going? Missed you up the damn this year in Ct.
Happy Seal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2012, 06:39 PM   #4
Kainic
Almost there

Oddometer: 379
Quote:
Originally Posted by MR.TRUMP View Post
Hey y'all,

I've recently got into adventure riding and bought a F800GS and have fully equipped it. I wanted to ask you guys and see if you know of any good rides, trails, fire roads that I could go test my bike and learn riding off road. I'm a big camper (grew up in Wyoming/Montana) so something that I can go off road and get lost in. I know that you don't have as much wilderness as out west but I'm sure there is enough

I appreciate it!
Lots of dirt roads in Bedford, NY area.

Kainic screwed with this post 08-06-2012 at 05:55 PM
Kainic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2012, 06:38 PM   #5
ba_
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,530
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kainic View Post
Lots of fire roads in Bedford, NY area.
Those aren't fire roads. Those are simply dirt roads and all of them are well maintained.
Old 08-06-2012, 02:36 AM   #6
viverrid
not dead yet

Oddometer: 30,482
Quote:
Originally Posted by ba_ View Post
Those aren't fire roads. Those are simply dirt roads and all of them are well maintained.
Yeah. I'm originally from Westchester County, though that was long ago.

There is very little public "fire road" riding in the northeast if the term is meant literally. I know my own area well enough to trailboss dualsport events for my club, and there is only one big landowmner in my area who has actual fire roads (for firefighting access to his woodlands) and those are all gated and posted. The Northeast is wet enough that crown fires like those that burn tens or hundreds of thousands of acres at a time in the West are a rarity; when we get a "forest fire" it usually means a duff fire.

Where I live now we do have a lot of good dualsport riding on unmaintained Town roads that are still public roads but since nobody lives on them the Towns don't bother to maintain them. They vary greatly in degree of difficulty from stuff that would beat up an Enduro rider on a 2-stroke, to things soccer mom could drive her SUV on. But they are not "fire roads". VT/NH has a lot of stuff like that too, call 'em "Class 6" or "Class 4" roads or whatever (I "fergit"), but those are not fire roads either, just accidents of history.

I was really surprised to hear someone say there were a lot of fire roads in Bedford as my 1st wife was from nearby Pound Ridge and I hadn't seen any.
Advanced pancreatic cancer found 04/2010. Have outlived +/- 97% of patients with this diagnosis, but 08/2013 cancer now in liver, vascular system and lungs with 20+ lung tumors. Sick/weak sometimes, not riding much. No more treatments & now under Hospice care.
viverrid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2012, 04:59 AM   #7
TengaiJohn
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,117
Quote:
Originally Posted by MR.TRUMP View Post
Hey y'all,

I appreciate it!
As soon as the weather cools down a bit I'm going to head do a few local trails, I'll keep you posted on the date and location.
TengaiJohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2012, 05:42 AM   #8
Speedo66
Transient

Oddometer: 6,346
Agreed, no fire roads in Westchester. The horsey set in Bedford, while stylishly living on dirt or gravel roads, don't want them anything less than perfectly groomed.

They were fun after the last hurricane, lots got pretty washed out, but they were quickly regraded to suburban perfection.

Speedo66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2012, 03:32 PM   #9
Robert OK
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 419
True no fire roads, but some of the horsey roads can be fun. The level of maintenance is variable. I am doing them pretty regularly (until I can get a trailer for my thumper). Also check out North Salem.

There's a thread somewhere in this forum with a link to a google map of Westchester dirt.
Robert OK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2012, 06:03 PM   #10
GirlRyder
Queen of Flugistan

Oddometer: 1,534
Hey MR. Trump...
Come on out to the Greater Catskills Area BK.RD.Run Version 4.0 Aug. 25th & 26th 2012

See thread -- http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=779679

The camping at Peaceful Valley Campground is great, and you'll meet some inmates that will.. er.. tell you where to go. No entry fee, make some new friends, informal ride.

GirlRyder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2012, 08:37 PM   #11
CannonsvilleRider
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 353
You might want going up the Delaware River

either from Port Jervis, NY or Stroudsberg PA, then explore the Catskills.

there are some tracks in this thread.

http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=721895
CannonsvilleRider is offline   Reply With Quote