Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Day Trippin'
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-17-2015, 01:18 PM   #1
390beretta OP
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,226
Valentine's day getaway (with some drama)

We decided, since my wife Melanie had Presidents day off, to do a run to Sedona, AZ for Valentine's day. We booked a very nice room at Pina Real resort & left at ~9am Sat. after gassing up the bikes. (she on her new F800GS and I on the trusty 2014 DL1000)

All went well until we had passed the exit to Prescott and heading South on
I-17. Suddenly I could no longer spot her in my mirror and I usually check on her every 30-60 seconds, but she had flat disappeared. We had just gone thru a few twisties and I started imagining that she'd failed to negotiate one, or even that she'd been forced off the road. I hope you can imagine what crap was going thru my mind. I turned around at the first opportunity and headed back North, trying all the while to look at the south bound lane to see if I could spot her. However, at that stretch of I-17, the lanes are sometimes separated by 1/4 mile or more, so I wasn't able to see all of the S. bound lane.

I arrived at the Prescott turn off and hadn't seen her, so headed back south, the direction we'd been originally traveling. I saw a couple on a Harley at an overlook and pulled in to explain I'd lost my wife and asked if they'd seen any accidents or anything. By this time, I'm getting a little frantic and even more worried, thinking that if she'd gone off the road, she and the bike could be out of sight in the trees that grow along that stretch and I could ride by & never see her.

I rode a few more miles &, for those of you who live in AZ and know that stretch of I-17, I found her! Sitting at the exact spot where I-17 passes of the General Crook highway. Actually sitting on the overpass itself.

Here's what happened: About the time I lost sight of her, she felt the steering become "funny" & then it got a lot "funnier" and she realized her front tire was going flat in a big hurry. To her credit, however, she managed to think on her feet and did everything right: Rolled off the throttle gradually, used only the rear brake, when she'd slowed enough, got to the burm, all the while fighting the now flat front tire and the weird steering it caused.

I always carry a plug kit & canned air, but after we got her bike on the center stand, could not find any sign of a puncture & we loooooked hard. So, nothing to do but call a tow truck. We sound up waiting for nearly two hours for the truck to arrive from Sedona, primarily because the driver had to go all the way to the Prescott turn off in order to head back South.

We dropped the bike off at "Red Rock Auto & Cycle"
1630 W. HWY 89A
Sedona, AZ (928) 282-4977
Owned by Bill, what a great guy.

He found a "pinched" tube & had it patched and the tire back on the bike in a little under an hour. Our check in time was 3pm, we made it a little after 4 and were both worn out, so ordered a pizza and hit the bed early. Not exactly what I had in mind for Valentine's day.

Melanie's bike, after we got it on the center stand. More to come.
Old 02-17-2015, 01:35 PM   #2
Skowinski
Deuterostome

Oddometer: 5,929
I can completely understand your worries when she was no longer in your rear view mirrors. My wife started riding a few years ago, and while I do enjoy having her along and seeing her experience the thrill of motorbikes, a few times this kind of thing has happened to me. I hate having the thoughts that have gone through my head, all the kinds of things you listed. Glad it was just a silly flat tire!
Old 02-18-2015, 04:24 AM   #3
390beretta OP
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skowinski View Post
I can completely understand your worries when she was no longer in your rear view mirrors. My wife started riding a few years ago, and while I do enjoy having her along and seeing her experience the thrill of motorbikes, a few times this kind of thing has happened to me. I hate having the thoughts that have gone through my head, all the kinds of things you listed. Glad it was just a silly flat tire!
Yep, it's amazing the stuff that goes through your mind in a situation like that. Thanks for the thought.
Old 02-18-2015, 04:26 AM   #4
390beretta OP
Beastly Adventurer

One of the easier dirt roads we rode.
Old 02-18-2015, 04:30 AM   #5
390beretta OP
Beastly Adventurer

And one of the more difficult.....this one got a LOT more difficult as we descended and the trail was over run with hikers and Razors, neither of them had manners.
Old 02-18-2015, 04:36 AM   #6
390beretta OP
Beastly Adventurer

This is the place where Melanie dropped her bike......a 0 speed drop, the perfect kind to have
Old 02-18-2015, 04:38 AM   #7
390beretta OP
Beastly Adventurer

A stop along the way.
Old 02-18-2015, 04:40 AM   #8
390beretta OP
Beastly Adventurer

And another....
Old 02-18-2015, 04:42 AM   #9
390beretta OP
Beastly Adventurer

Lots of beautiful scenery everywhere.
Old 02-18-2015, 04:45 AM   #10
390beretta OP
Beastly Adventurer

Chimney Rock, from a distance
Old 02-18-2015, 04:51 AM   #11
390beretta OP
Beastly Adventurer

After our ride, we rode down Oak Creek Canyon & had an excellent roast beef sandwich at this place. The name comes from the park that's just across the road. Thanks for coming along!

390beretta screwed with this post 02-18-2015 at 05:05 AM
390beretta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2015, 07:25 AM   #12
petka
Adventurer

Oddometer: 15
Nice report. Thanks
Old 02-18-2015, 11:29 AM   #13
390beretta OP
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by petka View Post
Nice report. Thanks
Hi Petka, What you should say is: "If I've made any mistakes in my language, please tell me." It's still cold in Russia, right? Do you get to ride much?

390beretta screwed with this post 02-18-2015 at 02:09 PM
390beretta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2015, 12:49 PM   #14
L.B.S.
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,412
Quote:
Originally Posted by 390beretta View Post
I always carry a plug kit & canned air, but after we got her bike on the center stand, could not find any sign of a puncture & we loooooked hard. So, nothing to do but call a tow truck.

He found a "pinched" tube & had it patched and the tire back on the bike in a little under an hour.

First off- Sorry for a sucky flat tire on Valentine's day

Second- I'm glad "The Case of the Missing Wife" turned out to only be a sucky flat tire

Third- If the flat was on a bike with known tube-type tires, what good would have the air and plug kit been anyway? Are you prepared to fix/replace a tube when you are out where no tow trucks would be available? (or hella $$$$ if there was one)

Just curious
Old 02-18-2015, 02:13 PM   #15
390beretta OP
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by L.B.S. View Post
First off- Sorry for a sucky flat tire on Valentine's day

Second- I'm glad "The Case of the Missing Wife" turned out to only be a sucky flat tire

Third- If the flat was on a bike with known tube-type tires, what good would have the air and plug kit been anyway? Are you prepared to fix/replace a tube when you are out where no tow trucks would be available? (or hella $$$$ if there was one)

Just curious
Actually a very good question! The tires on her bike say "tubeless", however there was a tube in the front tire, I guess that's because the wheel is "spoked" rather than cast, as are the wheels on my Vstrom. Obviously, I'm not a tire/wheel expert