I thought we all agreeded..... No hard panniers in the dirt
Heal quickly brother
Old 07-15-2014, 06:18 PM   #692
NSFW OP
ktm's "the tourist"

Oddometer: 16,002
Quote:
Originally Posted by Morocco View Post
Hi! I will be visiting SoCal the last couple of weeks of July... any rides planned in the área?
dual sport, big bikes i assume?

don't have anything planned, but for sure we won't let the month of august go by without a big ride.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rruugger View Post
I thought we all agreeded..... No hard panniers in the dirt
Heal quickly brother

the whole route was pretty mellow and having panniers was ok, except for that hill, steep, rocky and covered with fine powder.

i was warned by arnie but didn't really see it as a problem for any of us. just a bad luck.

and i agree, soft bags are the way to go regardless of the type of the road.
NSFW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2014, 09:23 PM   #693
JG55
Almost Normal

Oddometer: 145
Leg

Just got home from Kaiser. Operation was a success, less pain than prior to operation. Have a soft cast with shorter hard cast underneath. Should be smooth sailing during recovery.
Break was not related to Hard panniers. When you damage your ankle in the way I did leads to a classic break of fibula, due to energy being transferred up leg.
Main reason for the Owie was not bailing of bike as should have. Secondary reason was shitty boots (in trash now). Also I didn't notice the silt!
Hind sight is always 20/20.
I would love to see a picture of me covered head to toe in that silt!
See you all soon as I can.
Thanks for the kind comments.
JG55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2014, 09:57 PM   #694
Morocco
Aspiring Adventurer

Oddometer: 24
Can´t make it Sunday¡

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lonestar2112 View Post
DSM8 and I are doing a slab run this weekend. Up the 395 to the 108, then over the mountain. Spending the night in Angels Camp. Saturday over the mountains on the 4, then back over again on the 88, down the 49 and then across the valley hooking up on the 130. Alice's for dinner and then schlep on to the coast and camping just south of half moon bay. Sunday riding the coast south, and then the ususal twisties through SLO, SB and Ventura counties.

Distance ~1200 miles for three days, camping light and traveling quick.

Thanks, sounds like a good plan but I leave Sunday morning, so I would not make it....hopefully next time!!
Morocco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2014, 10:12 PM   #695
Morocco
Aspiring Adventurer

[QUOTE=NSFW;24624771]dual sport, big bikes i assume?

don't have anything planned, but for sure we won't let the month of august go by without a big ride.

990 Adventure, so yes, a big dual sport I guess

I have to be back in September for a few days, so I will be paying attention to this thread in case something comes up by then. I could find a way to schedule my trip around a weekend ride.
Thanks!!
Old 07-16-2014, 07:39 AM   #696
y0y02369
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,117
[QUOTE=Morocco;24626131]
Quote:
Originally Posted by NSFW View Post
dual sport, big bikes i assume?

I have to be back in September for a few days, so I will be paying attention to this thread in case something comes up by then. I could find a way to schedule my trip around a weekend ride.
Thanks!!
The reno 200 is in september! Not really in the bay area but sounds like a blast! I and a couple others will likely be going up from the bay.
y0y02369 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2014, 07:59 PM   #697
NSFW OP
ktm's "the tourist"

Quote:
Originally Posted by JG55 View Post
Just got home from Kaiser. Operation was a success, less pain than prior to operation. Have a soft cast with shorter hard cast underneath. Should be smooth sailing during recovery.
Break was not related to Hard panniers. When you damage your ankle in the way I did leads to a classic break of fibula, due to energy being transferred up leg.
Main reason for the Owie was not bailing of bike as should have. Secondary reason was shitty boots (in trash now). Also I didn't notice the silt!

we'll see you soon john.

pic for posterity (courtesy of browneye)

from ben's camera, hard to see the shitty boots....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Morocco View Post

Thanks!!
m, look us up when you get back!
Old 07-17-2014, 01:10 AM   #698
Morocco
Aspiring Adventurer

Shitty boots??

Quote:
Originally Posted by JG55 View Post

-The shitty boot factor sounds interesting.... especially since I just got my first pair of "Adventure" boots. I have been riding and racing enduros and rallys for a while and have always ridden in MX type boots (Sidi Crossfires for the last 9 years!!). I am new to big bike dual sporting and figured that a more comfortable boot would be a good idea for the more leisure or tourist type ride, but still I am planning to go for as much dirt as posible.
Well, I just got the boots (Forma Adventure) and they are extremely comfortable!! They seem of great quality, but of course, they feel quite "flumsy" compared to what I am used to (they are actually very comfortable to walk with!!!) and obviously makes me wonder about protection......the question is, should I stick to MX type boots for dual sporting and use the Adventure boots just for road or touring type rides? Or will they do the job (protection wise) when off roading in a big bike??
Were your boots shitty because they were worn out? cheap? or just not the right type for the job (which is how I am feeling about the adventure boots and would not like to find out the hard way).
Thanks for your input and I hope your leg heals well and fast!!
Old 07-17-2014, 03:22 PM   #699
bigtodd
Hi, wanna ride?

Oddometer: 1,368
not looking to start a "best boot" thread but if you are new to big bike adventure riding, this is what you need to know:

1. Off-road riding with metal panniers often results in a broken something; leg, ankle, pannier, etc. regardless of what boot you are wearing. Hard panniers are just not meant for off-road riding other than maybe fire roads or groomed country roads. Those guys in the movies and around the world tours do more highway miles than dirt.

2. Hard-side panniers are a great accessory for big ADV bikes as long as you never dab your foot if you loose the front or rear wheel. Better to bail than try and save it, on or off-road. These bikes are 600lbs, nobody saves it with putting a foot down.

3. Off-road riding is off-road riding regardless of dual sport bike or ADV bike. Quality off-road boots are always the best option.

4. Adventure style boots are awesome for everyday riding and are super comfortable as long as the only time your foot is off the pegs is when your bike is parked.

John is an unfortunate victim of the dreaded pannier bite, happens all the time. Heal up fast John and share your lesson with others.

SPOT - bigtodd - where I at now?
bigtodd.whereamiriding.com
bigtodd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2014, 06:04 PM   #700
NSFW OP
ktm's "the tourist"

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigtodd View Post
not looking to start a "best boot" thread but if you are new to big bike adventure riding, this is what you need to know:

1. Off-road riding with metal panniers often results in a broken something; leg, ankle, pannier, etc. regardless of what boot you are wearing. Hard panniers are just not meant for off-road riding other than maybe fire roads or groomed country roads. Those guys in the movies and around the world tours do more highway miles than dirt.

2. Hard-side panniers are a great accessory for big ADV bikes as long as you never dab your foot if you loose the front or rear wheel. Better to bail than try and save it, on or off-road. These bikes are 600lbs, nobody saves it with putting a foot down.

3. Off-road riding is off-road riding regardless of dual sport bike or ADV bike. Quality off-road boots are always the best option.

4. Adventure style boots are awesome for everyday riding and are super comfortable as long as the only time your foot is off the pegs is when your bike is parked.

John is an unfortunate victim of the dreaded pannier bite, happens all the time. Heal up fast John and share your lesson with others.

todd was talking from experience and i have proof....

key words....soft bags, bailing out, mx boots, proper adv bike parking and a fortunate man....

never been posted pic! (sorry todd, i kept it too long)

Old 07-17-2014, 06:04 PM   #701
Morocco
Aspiring Adventurer

Thanks for the advice

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigtodd View Post

Great tips, and the message is quite clear about two things I have been asking myself regarding Dual Sport riding; boots and panniers!!
I know what I will do now regarding the equipment.....Now I just have to train myself not to dab my foot (after years doing it in Enduros).

Thanks for your input
Old 07-27-2014, 10:26 PM   #702
NSFW OP
ktm's "the tourist"

california gold

another southern california Riding Gem

Old 07-28-2014, 11:43 AM   #703
bigtodd
Hi, wanna ride?

Oddometer: 1,368
2014 Summer Central Coast Ride - Part II

PART II

Unfortunately the weekend Joel scheduled for this ride had already been on my calendar for over a year for another event. i've been wanting to do this route again for over a year and it just so happened my San Diego brothers along with my former GS wingman all had the time and we followed the route last weeknd. The weather was perfect and other than 405 traffic out of LA and 101 traffic from SB to Thousand Oaks, we hardly saw anyone on the roads. One of the best parts of the whole weekend was meeting an amazing group that had the prime peak on Prewitt Ridge (more later).

Thursday night Arnie and Todd lite rode up from SD for an overnight at Casa De Richards. A couple of beers in the backyard and then a walk around the corner for some of Huntington Beach's best Mexican food at Las Barcas. After dinner a short walk to Tumbleweeds for several beers and talk of the upcoming ride.

Our casual 8:30 am roll out from HB

The plan was to cruise up the 405/5 to Castaic and then up the 2 lane to the Rock Inn for lunch and meet Bill Jenkins who was riding over from Helendale. Even with heavy 405 traffic, we were at the Rock Inn around 10:30. We ended up spending over 2 hours there sipping iced tea, going over maps and of course a tri tip sandwich.

We made really good time over to Maricopa where we gassed up as well as picked up a couple of 12 packs and a big bag of ice. We kept moving pretty fast, didn't want to melt too much ice and rolled into KCL campground early in the afternoon. Bill had a fun time on his GS with 50/50 tires on a little cut off we took.

We scrounged around in bushes and had a great fire. There was so much wood and scrub bush we ended leaving a big pile for the next campers. I picked up a very bad ass survival hatchet that includes a cool fire starter.

Sat morning KCL

Next stop was completely unplanned. We had the big bikes wound out on Soda Lake Rd, I wasn't checking the speedo but Arnie posted a 3 digit number on his GPS. Fortunatley we had all slowed down and were cruising when Arnie went flat.

those Tractionator tires are a tough nut to crack

With the unplanned stop to fix the flat, we ended up having lunch at Pozo Saloon, along with a couple of cold ones. Before heading for Naciemento, we loaded up with some fine cuisine at the Trader Joe's in Templeton. We all agreed to waypoint any and all Trader Joe's on future rides.

It was really hot riding through Naciemento and Hunter Ligget, we were on a misson to get to the Coastal Range in a hurry. We pulled off at a turnout that a huge Military steel gate hoping for a short cut. Anrie reached to check the padlock and bingo, unlocked. Could have been a big issue as they were doing some kind of war games on the base that we skirted by. Arnie posing with a BMW GS.

Finally hit the Coastal Ridge with cooler temps and great views.

Turned out lots of other folks thought a weekend on Prewitt Ridge was a good idea also. Every turnout and open space was packed with people. Eagle eye Arnie noticed a little turnout with a fallen tree across the opening. We rolled in and found our camp for the night.

There was large group that had taken over the main peak on Prewitt Ridge and we thought we might be able to buy a couple of beers off of them. Arnie and I rode up to say hi ... let's just say these guys were not anybody to mess with, they were some big knarly looking guys. Good thing they were into bikes and really liked our big KTMs. They gave us a bunch of IPAs and filled up an empty water bottle with some really good Bulleit Frontier Whiskey. Another HUGE Viking looking dude ambled over with a jug of Kracken Rum and started passing it around, we politely took our pulls and said our goodbyes. They begged us to stay and have dinner ... they had tons of taco meat and wouldn't be able to eat it all. We politely said no thanks and then I realized who they were. I had seen a tv magazine report featuing the East Bay Rats. The guy who gave us the whiskey was the head honcho. I am making plans for a trip up to Oakland to say hi. Check 'em out; http://jpgmag.com/photos/67226

Our custom camp table loaded with Trader Joe's goodies and of course our fast disappearing Bulleit Whiskey.

After our great meal and even better cold IPAs, it was time to watch the show

During the night we had a couple little showers that actually felt good coming through the tent withot the fly on. We had a ton of miles ahead of us and were packed up early ready to roll.

Towards the end of Los Burrows, there the views that just scream CA ADV

We bombed down Hwy 1 and stopped at the Brew House in Shell Beach for lunch. Bentravln rode up and met us there and then rode to Santa Barbara with us. Bill headed off for home and Arnie, Todd Lite and I pulled into Ventura for gas and the need to get off the bike. I decided to cut off here and hang out with my brother in Ventura.

I had a great time and another great ride with some awesome peeps ... when is the next ride?

http://bigtodd.whereamiriding.com

SPOT - bigtodd - where I at now?
bigtodd.whereamiriding.com
bigtodd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2014, 12:50 PM   #704
CA Stu
Thanks

Oddometer: 46,625
I took a little solo trip last week too, on my new Tiger 800 XC:

Wrong turn on Ward's Ferry Rd (highly recommended)

Riverside Inn in Downieville

Sierra Buttes from Gold Lake Hwy.

went with Givi racks - got a demo set for $160 (£94)

Day 1: Riverside - Bishop via the 15, Lone Pine Canyon Rd, a bit of the 2, Big Pines Rd, the 14 to the 395. ~300 miles
Hotter than all get-out on the 395, the epic, forbidding black clouds north of Bishop meant I pulled over and got a room. Of course I went ahead and dropped my phone and broke it, and the DIN plug on my Tiger broke so I had no on-bike charging for my (broken) phone nor my GPS.
Luckily the Verizon store in Bishop is 100% on the ball and I got hooked up with a new phone in a half hour.

Day 2 Bishop - Downieville via the 120 through Yosemite, Wards Ferry Rd, 49. ~350 miles
Hot again, even in Downieville.
Muggy, too.
Epic riding though. I found out that the center stand on the Tiger touches down quite easily. The stock Pirelli Scorpion tires stick really, really well, too.
Great handling bike.

Day 3 Downieville - Yreka via 49, Gold Lake Hwy, 89 to Chester, back on 89 through Lassen Volcanic NP to Mt. Shasta to the 5 to Yreka.
~300 miles
Another great day of riding, not too hot until I hit the 5 in Mt. Shasta, and then to Yreka. I was so hot and glad to get off my bike in the shade that I dropped it and broke the clutch lever. Should have checked the kickstand, I guess...
Luckily, the Triumph dealer in Medford, Oregon (Hansen's) had one on the shelf, only about 60 miles out of my way to fetch it...

Day 4: Yreka to Myrtle Point OR. (via Medford ) 263 to 96 (Klamath River Hwy) to Happy Camp, Grayback Rd to 199 to 5 to 42 ~320 miles

Day 5 Myrtle Point to Fort Bragg via 42 to 101 to Avenue of the Giants and the 1 ~350 miles

Day 6 Fort Bragg - Riverside via 1 to 128 to 101, Skyline Drive to Hwy 9 (Lunch at Alice's), 1 to Carmel Valley Rd (Excellent) to 101 to 46 to 5 and 210, 60 home.
By then I was in "Get Home Mode" and ready to see my family and sleep in my own bed and just put the hammer down on the 101 home.

First trip on the new bike. 640 miles the last day, including epic twisties.

The 800 triple is based on the 675 triple, just stroked out (as far as I understand it).
As such, it is a real tractor in the lower rpm range, easy to ride sub 5k rpm all day like a cruiser, but once you wind it past 6k rpm it comes alive and pulls like a small displacement sportbike.

Like I like.

Fun bike for sure.

As far as the ergos, after a long day my right wrist, both my knees and my ass (arse) were aching.
I need a bit taller (better) seat and a throttle lock before I do that again.
2000mg of ibuprofen only goes so far....

Thanks
CA Stu
Old 07-28-2014, 01:34 PM   #705
LawMur
Adventurer

Oddometer: 25
Nice Route CA Stu, I plan on roughly duplicating the northernmost portion of your trip on my Triumph Tiger Explorer. From hwy 49 up into Oregon (Crater lake for me), back down & over to the coastline. I am starting just West of Yosemite so I should be able to cut off about 2 days travel all-told from what it took you. How did you find the distances from day 3 thru 6? 300 to 350 miles in the twisties & mountains can take awhile with gas & food stops thrown in. Did you have much time to stop & look around, or were you mostly staying on the bike to make time?

I had to put a Corbin seat on my Triumph so I could stay on it all day without looking for reasons to stop & jump off to frequently.

LawMur
LawMur is offline   Reply With Quote