Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Thumpers
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-18-2012, 03:45 AM   #16
french horn OP
Just Add venture

Oddometer: 441
is anybody following this? .... or looking at it?

cheers
french horn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2012, 04:25 AM   #17
TRAVELGUY
Old Traveler

Oddometer: 603
Yes I am and enjoy seeing your work.

TravelGuy

Quote:
Originally Posted by french horn View Post
is anybody following this? .... or looking at it?

cheers
DR650 '07
TRAVELGUY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2012, 10:20 AM   #18
ER70S-2
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,472

I love seeing metal fabrication jobs. Your detailed explanation into the thinking behind each aspect is much appreciated.

Quote:
I used 6mm x 65mm for a good reason ... that's all they had at the tractor parts shop .
Quote:
Sorry for the blurry pic., I wasn't wearing my glasses and it looked OK to me

My somewhat similar, non-motorcycle project:
http://advrider.com/forums/showpost....postcount=2384

SUZUKI DR650SE INFORMATION INDEX
Quote:
Originally Posted by Threewheelbonnie View Post
"BTW, I don't do style. It's a dirt bike, not some girlie dress-up thing." -

ER70S-2 screwed with this post 08-18-2012 at 10:31 AM
ER70S-2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2012, 06:34 PM   #19
french horn OP
Just Add venture

Thanks heaps guys for the feedback, it means a lot. If/when you build it, show us your progress in here ... and if you have any questions, problems or improvement ideas with the build, please post them as well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TRAVELGUY View Post
Yes I am and enjoy seeing your work.

TravelGuy
Quote:
Originally Posted by ER70S-2 View Post

I love seeing metal fabrication jobs. Your detailed explanation into the thinking behind each aspect is much appreciated.

My somewhat similar, non-motorcycle project:
http://advrider.com/forums/showpost....postcount=2384
Great job on the TV bracket, and that patina should improve over the years to come as well .
It dosen't matter how small the project may be, it always feels good to see your design and effort do what you intended it to ..... good one mate.
Old 08-18-2012, 09:22 PM   #20
JagLite
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,006
First Rate Mate!

I'm here too!
Love the instructions, thanks for taking the time to walk us through.
James
JagLite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2012, 12:22 PM   #21
ER70S-2
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Now we're going to install the pivot tubes.

Cut 2 lengths of tube so that they are long enough to protude through both sides of the legs by a minimum of 5mm, you drilled the holes for these earlier.

insert the tubes into the holes as shown below. I made the tubes longer so welding spatter (or my clumsy welding) won't enter the tubes, it can be difficult to remove SP below

Go ahead and weld the tubes in place... both outside the leg and, where you can reach inside.
Once you've done that, using the 1.6mm sheet steel, make 2 end caps and weld them on to close off that end.
Now cut the protusions off and grind it all over for a nice finish.SP below

MORE TO COME

cheers
This is nice attention to detail. You could have left the ends open and not used the tubes at all.

Quote:
Great job on the TV bracket, and that patina should improve over the years to come as well .
It dosen't matter how small the project may be, it always feels good to see your design and effort do what you intended it to ..... good one mate.
I take great pleasure in using material I should have thrown away 20 years ago.

Quote:
Old 08-19-2012, 01:34 PM   #22
french horn OP
Just Add venture

Quote:
This is nice attention to detail. You could have left the ends open and not used the tubes at all.

Thanks for your comments.

I thought about not using the tubes,sure would have saved time ... but I figured if either leg were to sit away from the mounting plate then the weight of the bike would be only on one side of that leg which may cause problems in the future. With the tube in place, the weight would be shared with both sides. I also thought of making the pivot pins longer thus saving the need for the tubes but I wanted to minimise the possability of damage from hitting a rock or whatever. My engineering skills are rather poor so I build failsafe properties into everything.... ... just in case. Fairdinkum, feel free to alter the stand as you see fit, I see what I've done as merely a basic design ... nothing is beyond improvement.

Thanks again
Old 08-24-2012, 12:26 AM   #23
Burra Boy
Adventurer

Oddometer: 54
Hey french horn, what a top idea! The only problem is that there are 3 DR's in our little group and I'm the only one with with a suitable workshop

I guess if I make 3 stands I'll keep the last one for me - by that time I might have it right

I'm subscribed.

Many thanks for taking the time to do this - you, sir, are a gentleman and a scholar
Burra Boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2012, 01:19 AM   #24
french horn OP
Just Add venture

Thanks BB for the accolaides, but I reckon you'll be the recipient of a few beers once those stands are built ...
Why not double the order, make half a dozen ... sell'm to cover your costs ... yours'll be free

Let us know how you're do'n as you go, and if you have any questions or problems, fire away as well.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Sorry about the delay guys, my digi camera died and my ute has a blown gearbox ... gotta fix it asap

cheers for now

Old 08-27-2012, 12:31 AM   #25
Burra Boy
Adventurer

Quote:
Thanks BB for the accolaides, but I reckon you'll be the recipient of a few beers once those stands are built ...
Why not double the order, make half a dozen ... sell'm to cover your costs ... yours'll be free

Let us know how you're do'n as you go, and if you have any questions or problems, fire away as well.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Sorry about the delay guys, my digi camera died and my ute has a blown gearbox ... gotta fix it asap

cheers for now

If your ute is a GQ Patrol TD42 I've got a spare 'box

One question already. The mounting plates - will they fit OK with lowering plates on the footpegs?

Cheers m8
Old 08-27-2012, 04:45 AM   #26
french horn OP
Just Add venture

Quote:
Originally Posted by Burra Boy View Post
If your ute is a GQ Patrol TD42 I've got a spare 'box

One question already. The mounting plates - will they fit OK with lowering plates on the footpegs?

Cheers m8
Damn, not a patrol

Good question, I haven't seen lowering plates but in the picture below, you will see how my mounting plate works. If you use the original footpegs but lower than the original bolt holes throught the frame then it should work, bolt my plate between the lowering plate and pegs then just shorten the legs by about 2/3 the amount the pegs are lowered (something like .. 20mm lower = 13mm shorter legs) and perhaps the overall width (at the plates) may be a little more..... if you use the original mounting bolt holes in the frame with different footpegs, you'd probably have to take into account any changes made in the front area of the footpegs, like ... how far from the bolt center to front of mount ... check also that nothing is in the way of the leg(s) swinging to the "standing" position. Without seeing what you have, it's a bit difficult to answer but I hope I have. If not, post a pic of your setup, that may help.

Thanks for the question, keeps my mind active ..

I guess you're in SA ? .... great riding area you have I reckon.

Cheers
Old 08-28-2012, 01:31 AM   #27
Burra Boy
Adventurer

Quote:
Damn, not a patrol

Good question, I haven't seen lowering plates but in the picture below, you will see how my mounting plate works. If you use the original footpegs but lower than the original bolt holes throught the frame then it should work, bolt my plate between the lowering plate and pegs then just shorten the legs by about 2/3 the amount the pegs are lowered (something like .. 20mm lower = 13mm shorter legs) and perhaps the overall width (at the plates) may be a little more..... if you use the original mounting bolt holes in the frame with different footpegs, you'd probably have to take into account any changes made in the front area of the footpegs, like ... how far from the bolt center to front of mount ... check also that nothing is in the way of the leg(s) swinging to the "standing" position. Without seeing what you have, it's a bit difficult to answer but I hope I have. If not, post a pic of your setup, that may help.

Thanks for the question, keeps my mind active ..

I guess you're in SA ? .... great riding area you have I reckon.

Cheers
Nope, my particular Burra is near Canberra, but higher and colder. It was -5 here last night. And my shed isn't heated. So my centrestand production line isn't actually in existence just yet

Now, do you have further photos/details to come? I've got the general idea from what you've posted thus far but more info would be good. Cheers
Old 08-28-2012, 02:22 AM   #28
french horn OP
Just Add venture

[QUOTE=Burra Boy;19461796...............SNIP........

Now, do you have further photos/details to come? I've got the general idea from what you've posted thus far but more info would be good. Cheers [/QUOTE]

Sure have mate, just gotta get the ute back on the road ... and work through the week ..... should be into it again on the weekend.

Near ACT. .... Hmmmm ... in a few weeks should be warmer

cheers
Old 08-28-2012, 10:07 AM   #29
ER70S-2
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Burra Boy View Post

Cheers m8
Right side. Just above the top right mounting bolt is a chipped paint mark; that's where the brake pedal is hitting the lowering bracket at the bottom of its travel. The brake pedal is about 1/4" further out than flush with the bracket.

Left side. The shift lever is well inside the bracket.

Quote:
Old 08-29-2012, 04:01 AM   #30
french horn OP
Just Add venture

Gotta love this forum, ask and someone answers ..

Quote:
Right side. Just above the top right mounting bolt is a chipped paint mark; that's where the brake pedal is hitting the lowering bracket at the bottom of its travel. The brake pedal is about 1/4" further out than flush with the bracket.

Left side. The shift lever is well inside the bracket.
Exellent pix, thanks so much.
I reckon there should be no problems.
All you need is to fit the (my) mounting plate between the lowering plate and footpeg... not sure about the bolt length though.

cheers

french horn screwed with this post 09-01-2012 at 04:20 PM Reason: I had a "senior moment" ...originally said .."between frame and lowering plate" .... which was wrong, sorry about that chief.