ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > Southeast, The Lair of the Dragon - The Blue Ridge and Smoky Mountains
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-26-2005, 06:24 AM   #1
Ivar OP
Explorer

Oddometer: 4
New GS'er in Asheville

After being out West for most of my adult life I decided to give Asheville a try. I cycle, kayak, and ride the GS so it seemed like a good option to the increasingly overcrowded, californicated western towns.

I've got most of the general routes figured out but would love to hear about specific rides and rallies in the area (just saw that I missed the Advrider rally last weekend, bummer). Also, anyone interested in joining up for rallies, weekend camping rides, or long routes ping me off-list.

Also--is there a shop nearby that does a good job on BMWs?

And for those who already live here: yeah, Western NC really sucks--the people are totally unhospitable and it's a dirty, ugly place. I'll make sure to spread the word.

Cheers

Ivar

"If you want to understand reality, you have to get into Physics. And if you 're really interested in physics, you have to ask really big questions." - Peter Lynds
Ivar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2005, 06:29 AM   #2
Steverino
Arrogant Horse's Ass #1

Oddometer: 36,667
Western NC and the area around the Smoky's are rapidly becoming my favortie place to ride.

BYOB is coming up in West Vrignny in a few weeks, cehck out the thread in Upcomgin eveents and get your butt over there for more fun.

Welcome to the best coast and see you around.

Steve

Steverino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2005, 06:44 AM   #3
MrE
computer driver

Oddometer: 1,083
Western NC sucks. I hate it down there. I never want to go back. I certainly wouldn't try any of the riding around the Hot Springs area if I were you. And stay away from the roads from Franklin to the west. They are boring. And the people are mean. Unlike the fine folks and wonderful roads we have in good ole Northern VA.

The man who reads nothing at all is better educated than the man who reads nothing but newspapers.
- Thomas Jefferson
MrE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2005, 07:55 AM   #4
RAW
stamen in the sniffer

Oddometer: 3,838
Yeah, absolutely do NOT try Big Laurel Road or 209 or anything between those two roads. Totally lame. And for god's sake--stay off of the forest service roads around Hot Springs. You'd hate it.

I am interested to hear any responses about the BMW service center though. I think that Charlotte is the closest option. That or Knoxville if I remember correctly. I'm not too thrilled about those options since I'll be living in Mars Hill soon. Someone needs to open a BMW shop in Asheville.
Old 05-26-2005, 08:11 AM   #5
Boojum
I Miss the PartyBoss

Oddometer: 5,934
Cherohala....

.......And stay OFF the Cherohala Skyway!.....It SUCKS!
Actually, they had a road block at the bottom of the Skyway, on the TN side last sunday afternoon. It was at the Oosterneck pull on 165. The NFS Boys in Green. Anyway, most All roads Suck, but you need to find out for yourself Like Steve-O said, BYOB is June 2-5 in Boyers Station, West "By-God" Va. Come on up and Mingle!

Boojum!
Boojum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2005, 10:52 AM   #6
KayaKTM
Day trippin'

Oddometer: 405
KTM coming to asheville

hey asylum,
there are a few people in the area that ride but you'll find more mtn. bikers and kayakers than advriders.

the closest BMW dealer/shop is actually in Greenville SC. the next closest i believe is charlotte. although (if it's not under warrantee) i'd just take it to STRICK's in downtown asheville, never heard anything but positive stuff about Stricks and i've gotten a few things from them myself.

now for the good news, KTM will likely be coming to asheville. i was just in the ducatti dealer last weekend and Skipper (i think she's the part lady) was helping my partner w/boots (nice to have a woman on staff to help the lady's w/fit and feedback) and she said they'd just applied to be a KTM dealer. They're still waiting to hear back from KTM.

KayaKTM

Religions change; beer and wine remain. Harvey Allen
KayaKTM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2005, 03:15 PM   #7
Stromtrooper246
Lost again

Oddometer: 470
Actually..... anything north of Florida sucks!!! What can compare to Florida's unbelievably exciting endless roadways.... miles of scenic sugar cane fields and orange groves!!!

Awesome!

Ride Florida! 11 Turns in 318 miles!!!!
13 Tiger 800
02 Guzzi V11 Tenni *T105*
Stromtrooper246 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2005, 03:53 PM   #8
sharpeunit
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 131
Dude,

Everyone I know that rides around Asheville and WNC knows about Walt Sweatt and his shop in Fairview (outside Asheville), NC. He i scertified to work on all BMWs and he races a BMW in vintage class.
sharpeunit.
sharpeunit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2005, 04:14 PM   #9
Ivar OP
Explorer

Oddometer: 4
I've heard of Walt, and was going to ring him up. I actually live in Fairview myself.

Thanks

"If you want to understand reality, you have to get into Physics. And if you 're really interested in physics, you have to ask really big questions." - Peter Lynds
Ivar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2005, 04:42 PM   #10
RAW
stamen in the sniffer

Oddometer: 3,838
Can Walt do warranty service in Fairview?
Does he have all of the equipment to fuddle with the ABS computer and all that jazz?