Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > Latin America
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-02-2012, 07:34 PM   #31
markharf
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 536
You're looking at a huge area, several thousand miles from north to south, with several main weather patterns and innumerable local variations. For example, January is early rainy season in the Andes of Bolivia and northern Chile--the salars flood, there's spotty rain and snow on the passes as described above, and even major blizzards from time to time. However, that's the warm season in the far south, and it's an agreeable time along the Patagonia sections of Ruta 40 and the Caraterra Austral up through the Lakes District too, because their storm track has shifted south for the summer. In fall and winter that stormy weather migrates north 10 degrees or so, giving lots of snow through the southern Andes, but generally more stable, drier weather back in Bolivia. I've heard the wind dies down in Patagonia too, but maybe that's just a rumor.

Etc. Etc. Etc. Beware all sweeping generalizations, including mine. Having said that, November/early December probably offer the best combination of dry in the Bolivia/northern Chile/northern Argentina Andes, with relative warmth and fine weather in Patagonia and the Lakes.

However: did I mention the wind? Heh heh.

Hope that's helpful.

Mark
markharf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2012, 11:40 AM   #32
SpecialAgentNancy OP
& your little dog 2!

Oddometer: 398
Quote:
Originally Posted by markharf View Post
You're looking at a huge area, several thousand miles from north to south, with several main weather patterns and innumerable local variations.

However: did I mention the wind? Heh heh.

Hope that's helpful.

Mark
Very.
I guess I'm a bit ambitious. My first ride was 9 countries in 6 weeks. :)

Wind. Yeay, well I know how to deal with that...learned the prefect bike position for that and it helps to have a heavy bike which the Tiger is.

If I do Nov/Dec then I might have to put this off for another year as I'm doing a month long ride starting next week. Shoot.
Maybe I can do 2 rides....
Old 08-03-2012, 12:11 PM   #33
chelo5sur
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 195
Quote:
Originally Posted by SpecialAgentNancy View Post
Interesting you offer these months, everyone else is saying Dec-Mar. What is the rainy season there?
I went to New Zealand around Nov and didn't see the sun once....don't want to make that mistake again.
I m living in PuertoMontt since 20 years
and i could say that rain season ussually begins end of march till half nov , but you can get HEAVY HEAVY rain all
year round.
If you come in march i Think it s better move to the south and ride to the north later,
could be good , but also very rainy ,more than cold

Chile is more rainy than argentina ,
i m just talkin from Puerto Montt to the south
just an opinion

From Puerto Montt to the south we get around 1000kms road , more of them gravel , called Carretera austral
nice landscapes , forest , river , glacier, springwater etc...
good luck
chelo5sur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2012, 04:12 AM   #34
mrtuc
n00b

Oddometer: 9
You can know Argentina and Chile from north to south by pavement roads in good conditions at any time of year without any kind of extra risk. People are generally friendly and willing to help.
There are no wars or guerrillas and so, no region of tension. Nothing to avoid, except (as in all the countries) some parts of the big cities.
Argentina has hundreds of touristic regions as Cataratas del Iguazu, La Quebrada de Humahuaca, Los Valles Calchaquies, El Valle de la Luna y Talampaya, Los Esteros del Ibera, La Patagonia , El Glaciar Perito Moreno, etc, etc quite distant from each other (you can find a lot of information of this palces on internet). There are other fantastic places that there are not in the tourist circuit, where you must arrive by dirt roads ( Quebrada de las Flechas, Viaducto la Polvorilla in the “ruta 40” look thishttp://viajeros.freeservers.com/ ).
As Markh said, you're looking at a huge area, several thousand miles from north to south, with several main weather patterns and innumerable local variations (As an example, where I live, Tucuman (in the north of Argentina), there are now 28 cº, and in Usuahia (in the south) there are 3º), that’s why there is not better or worst season to visit “all” Argentina.
You can download free maps of Argentina , Chile , Uruguay and Bolivia for Garmin GPS (you need to have the program MapSource) from www.proyectomapear.com.ar
If you need advises for the north (Tucuman, Salta , Jujuy , Catamarca) I can help you.
Marcos
mrtuc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2012, 10:54 AM   #35
SpecialAgentNancy OP
& your little dog 2!

This has helped me decide that this is not a single ride.

I'll start working on 2 different 3-5 week rides.

I'm in France now and still tracking to make Portugal by end of the week. So EXCITED (and somewhat exhausted)
Old 08-19-2012, 11:07 AM   #36
markharf
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 536
Portugal is great, with fun riding, good people, lots to see, and cheap prices. Enjoy!

Always good to see people staying engaged here rather than posting a series of questions and then vanishing without a trace. Hope to hear more about your various trips.

Mark
markharf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2012, 09:16 AM   #37
SpecialAgentNancy OP
& your little dog 2!

I am back from my ride to Portugal. Still posting my RR but will be done soon.

I am now available in January and on to do a ride in S America. My current client assignment is ending a few months early. That's full summer so less worry about snow and rain.

If there are any seriously interested parties to do a ride early next year....I'm all ears and open to whatever time length and route.
Old 10-26-2012, 09:53 AM   #38
Dexter2811
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 282
Hey! somebody there said wind... let me tell you, 50 MPH winds with up to 72 MPH blasts. February will be one of the windiest months in Patagonia.

At the bottom (South) you could expect a city every 200 Kms with nothing in the middle, absolutely nothing and some times the only gas station is out of gas, so keep a full rotopack handy.

I live in BA and have several friends in Argentinian Patagonia, and a Few in the north so feel free to PM me if you need some assistance/guidance or if you want to keep my cell handy just in case.

Maps are available and very detailed and being you a "paper router" I would recommend you the "Atlas de Rutas" map book, you can buy it at any ACA (Argentinian Automobile Club) station (Don't care, you will note the ACA stations in every city as they are always huge)
Old 10-27-2012, 11:12 AM   #39
SpecialAgentNancy OP
& your little dog 2!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dexter2811 View Post
Hey! somebody there said wind... let me tell you, 50 MPH winds with up to 72 MPH blasts. February will be one of the windiest months in Patagonia.
Now THAT sounds like an adventure. I'll ship my Tiger 800 XC so hopefully the extra 150lbs (over my F650 BMW) will keep me from being blown right off the road. Thanks for the warning.

Old 10-28-2012, 07:29 PM   #40
Manolito
Patagonia guide

Oddometer: 237
110km/h winds today, and some snow a few days ago..... What can I say?.... Patagonia is like this

Going to Ushuaia? Stop in Rio Gallegos and let's have a beer
Manolito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2012, 08:35 AM   #41
Misery Goat
Positating the negative

Oddometer: 74,595
The main roads in Patagonia are almost all asphalt now so the wind will be easier to deal with. I encountered the highest winds near and around Tres Lagos. We were coming from Gobernador Gregores on the longer dirt route (not the 40) and I saw a rider get blown off the road by the wind. Riding in the dirt in those winds can be tricky, you'll want to let your rear tire break loose and allow the bike to list as you gain speed. Not too tricky if you have dirt riding experience.

I was there in early 2011 and the 40 was getting fresh asphalt from Bariloche all the way south to Chile, I rode a lot of miles in the dirt next to the new road that had yet to be opened.

Same as it ever was

My Wanderlust
Misery Goat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2012, 09:38 AM   #42
Airhead Wrangler
Adios Mexico

Oddometer: 6,285
Quote:
Originally Posted by Misery Goat View Post
I was there in early 2011 and the 40 was getting fresh asphalt from Bariloche all the way south to Chile, I rode a lot of miles in the dirt next to the new road that had yet to be opened.
I was there January through march of 2010 and couldn't believe how much was paved or being paved. I'm glad I got to ride it when I did. I definitely had more than a few run-ins with big wind gusts in deep gravel at speed. Not cool.

Current rides: HPN #834, '93 R100GSPD "red rocket", '73 R75/5 Toaster mongrel, '80 Ducati Pantah 500SL, '92 DR350, '67 Honda SS50, '80 Honda Chaly.
Airhead Wrangler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2012, 09:50 AM   #43
Dexter2811
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 282
Yeah, I'm not to happy with the goverment paving the R40, but they want the tourism income to grow so they (right) think that having a secure route gonna help.

If you like the dirt/gravel way you can keep yourself over the RN38 and RN41, they both run parallel to the RN40 most of the way.
Old 12-06-2012, 10:05 AM   #44
kevinmc2000
n00b

Oddometer: 2
Nancy,
Most of the replies you got in this thread assume you are traveling through southern argentina and chile (Patagonia), thus the advises on cold weather. There is another portion of Argentina an Chile to explore at the northern tip of these countries, ones you will most probably ride since you plan on shipping your bike to Lima.
Being in Peru you will most likely want to go to Machu Pichu, which is not accessible in the rainy season (November through February). Ideally you will want to ship your bike to Chile (probably Valparaiso, a central spot in the southern tip of the continent). This will be close to various amazing "pasos fronterizos" between Argentina and Chile, mostly "ripio" (gravel) with awesome sightseeing. You can then explore the northern tip of Argentina (Salta, Catamarca, La Rioja, San Juan, Mendoza) re-enter Chile, and decide if you want to go South (Patagonia: Puerto Montt, Bariloche, 7 lagos, Esquel, etc.) or North into Peru-Bolivia. Contact me if you want to see photos of these destinations, I have been to most of them! (Except Peru, for now...)
Kevin
kevinmc2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2012, 05:23 PM   #45
Radioman
Moto rider

Oddometer: 4,945
Currently in Argentina. Just rode through Argentina and Chile. Check my RR starting here..... PM with questions or if I can be of help.

http://advrider.com/forums/showthrea...89134&page=259

wind on Ruta 40. Yup lots of it!

Ride of my Lifetime...... Thread started 5/11/2011 http://advrider.com/forums/showthrea...0#post15950430
Radioman is offline   Reply With Quote