Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-06-2012, 07:37 PM   #46
SpecialAgentNancy OP
& your little dog 2!

Oddometer: 520
Quote:
Originally Posted by kevinmc2000 View Post
Nancy,
Most of the replies you got in this thread assume you are traveling through southern argentina and chile (Patagonia), thus the advises on cold weather. There is another portion of Argentina an Chile to explore at the northern tip of these countries, ones you will most probably ride since you plan on shipping your bike to Lima.
Being in Peru you will most likely want to go to Machu Pichu, which is not accessible in the rainy season (November through February). Ideally you will want to ship your bike to Chile (probably Valparaiso, a central spot in the southern tip of the continent). This will be close to various amazing "pasos fronterizos" between Argentina and Chile, mostly "ripio" (gravel) with awesome sightseeing. You can then explore the northern tip of Argentina (Salta, Catamarca, La Rioja, San Juan, Mendoza) re-enter Chile, and decide if you want to go South (Patagonia: Puerto Montt, Bariloche, 7 lagos, Esquel, etc.) or North into Peru-Bolivia. Contact me if you want to see photos of these destinations, I have been to most of them! (Except Peru, for now...)
Kevin
You might have something there. I just liked the idea of seeing penguins and riding the Chilean coast but I could do Bolivia/Peru too. I've been to Machu Pichu, liked Ollantaytambo better actually.
Old 08-12-2014, 05:22 PM   #47
SpecialAgentNancy OP
& your little dog 2!

re-kindling this thread

I've decided to re-kindle this thread. I'm in the deciding stages to do this ride. I've bought maps and have done some general research.

I didn't do this ride because I opted for Alaska last summer BUT am keen to do this coming 2015 Jan/Feb/Mar/Apr for 2 months.

I'll ship the bike to Guayaquil, Ecuador, ride to Tierra Del Fuego and back up again to Buenos Aires where I will ship the bike home.

The most important consideration is finding at least 1 other rider, preferably a 2 or 3 others to do the ride with. Having said that, I have flexibility in timing, route and cost to accommodate other agenda's, time off and so forth.

Previous learnings:

Gear: I would pack summer gear, rain gear and heated liner gear for cold passes and going all the way South. I'll bring spare wiring in case something goes wrong.

Gas: I would upgrade my tank or bring a couple extra rotopax gas cans.

Time: I will budget 2 months. Jan-Feb preferred, can do Feb-Mar or Mar-Apr

Ice/Snow: So unless I'm mis-reading/understanding, there are a lot of folks that advise that many passes and areas could have snow and icy roads (even in full summer (Jan/Feb). I'm going to want to avoid those at all costs so open to ideas about routes to get me to see what I want to see but help me avoid doing this on 2 wheels. Same goes for wind. I can ride in wind but when it's dangerous wind, I want ideas on how to avoid it.

Countries: Ecuador, Peru, Chile, Argentina but want to see penguins.
Open to Patagonia and don't HAVE to ride to the southern most tip of Chile. Heck, I didn't go to the arctic circle in Alaska. I'm not a "check that box" rider.

Navigation: I use both GPS, maps and a good old fashioned compass. I also have a delorme now for real emergencies.

Roads: I prefer paved. I like riding dirt near my home and near hospitals that take my insurance. I'm gonna need help hammering out a route and want to stick to paved but can do dirt/gravel if I have to.
Old 08-13-2014, 12:21 PM   #48
oobus
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 225
Hey Nancy, interesting as I was thinking of renting in Santiago and heading south with an Argentine next February.

I spent a couple of weeks in Chile/Argentina with a long-time friend and with a workmate friend(Tomas) who lives part of the year in San Juan Argentina (close to Mendoza). Absolutely loved both countries and can't wait to go back. I wouldn't have more than a couple of weeks to do this so we would be bee-lining for Terra del and back.

If I could get Tomas to do this he would be a great travel partner, knows the area, and speaks correct Spanish unlike the terrible mess I make of the language (learned from my migrant buddies).

Matt
oobus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2014, 04:54 PM   #49
SpecialAgentNancy OP
& your little dog 2!

Quote:
Originally Posted by oobus View Post
Hey Nancy, interesting as I was thinking of renting in Santiago and heading south with an Argentine next February.

I spent a couple of weeks in Chile/Argentina with a long-time friend and with a workmate friend(Tomas) who lives part of the year in San Juan Argentina (close to Mendoza). Absolutely loved both countries and can't wait to go back. I wouldn't have more than a couple of weeks to do this so we would be bee-lining for Terra del and back.

If I could get Tomas to do this he would be a great travel partner, knows the area, and speaks correct Spanish unlike the terrible mess I make of the language (learned from my migrant buddies).

Matt
Interesting possibilities. Perhaps Tomas would be interested in riding farther or taking more than 2 weeks off....if not, it could be a good alternative option for me. I wouldn't ship my bike for 2 weeks but I certainly could rent.

Is Tomas on ADV?
Old 08-13-2014, 07:55 PM   #50
oobus
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpecialAgentNancy View Post
Interesting possibilities. Perhaps Tomas would be interested in riding farther or taking more than 2 weeks off....if not, it could be a good alternative option for me. I wouldn't ship my bike for 2 weeks but I certainly could rent.

Is Tomas on ADV?
No, right now he is a damn Harley rider! This would be a quick trip for the two of us, I go down there right before he starts Olive Harvest - once that takes off he is busy 24 - 7.

I'll be seeing him in the next few days (1/2 the year he lives in Tracy) and see what he is up for.
Old 08-14-2014, 09:44 AM   #51
SpecialAgentNancy OP
& your little dog 2!

Quote:
Originally Posted by oobus View Post
No, right now he is a damn Harley rider! This would be a quick trip for the two of us, I go down there right before he starts Olive Harvest - once that takes off he is busy 24 - 7.

I'll be seeing him in the next few days (1/2 the year he lives in Tracy) and see what he is up for.
You know after a run in with a flat tire a-midst a cloud of mosquitoes in Alaska where two Harley riders were riding dirt just like me and DIDN'T get a flat, I think there are plenty of Harley riders that have a fair amount of adventure riding in them. (probably get crucified for saying that here) but I've let go of my prejudices around what kind of bike you ride determines what kind of riding you do.

So is that Tracy California? I'm an hour away from him....
Old 08-14-2014, 11:18 AM   #52
markharf
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 557
I'd say that given your preconditions--little dirt or wind, no ice or snow--what you really need is flexibility. It's hard to avoid the wind in Patagonia, and hard to avoid Patagonia when riding around the southern tier for a couple of months. It's hard to avoid the mountain rains mid-continent (Bolivia, Peru, etc.) during that season, and some of the rain arrives as snow and hail on the passes. You'll need to play it by ear from day to day, guessing about the weather and struggling to stay interested during the long stints where nothing goes wrong, but nothing of enduring interest happens either.

There are lots of paved roads in South America. Many are fairly boring, e.g., the PanAm from northern Peru most of the way to Santiago, Ruta 3 from Ushuaia up to Buenos Aires. Some are wonderful, like almost anything which is newly-paved in Bolivia. But if you're really trying to avoid dirt, high passes and wind, you're going to miss most of what's on offer and spend a lot of time on the sorts of rides you could just as well stay home for. You like the I-5 through the Central Valley? How about 500 miles of Nebraska east-west?

We all like to bring stories home, and wind, snow, cold and misery make for good stories. That means that adverse conditions figure prominently in what gets reported back. Without re-reading your two-year-old thread, I'd say willingness to push the envelope a bit will serve you well, no matter what bike and how experienced. And take the dire warnings here with a grain of salt; you might get blown around by the wind, but it's not the end of the world for most of us.

Hope that's helpful.

Mark
markharf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2014, 11:31 AM   #53
SpecialAgentNancy OP
& your little dog 2!

Quote:
Originally Posted by markharf View Post
I'd say that given your preconditions--little dirt or wind, no ice or snow--what you really need is flexibility. It's hard to avoid the wind in Patagonia, and hard to avoid Patagonia when riding around the southern tier for a couple of months. It's hard to avoid the mountain rains mid-continent (Bolivia, Peru, etc.) during that season, and some of the rain arrives as snow and hail on the passes. You'll need to play it by ear from day to day, guessing about the weather and struggling to stay interested during the long stints where nothing goes wrong, but nothing of enduring interest happens either.

There are lots of paved roads in South America. Many are fairly boring, e.g., the PanAm from northern Peru most of the way to Santiago, Ruta 3 from Ushuaia up to Buenos Aires. Some are wonderful, like almost anything which is newly-paved in Bolivia. But if you're really trying to avoid dirt, high passes and wind, you're going to miss most of what's on offer and spend a lot of time on the sorts of rides you could just as well stay home for. You like the I-5 through the Central Valley? How about 500 miles of Nebraska east-west?

We all like to bring stories home, and wind, snow, cold and misery make for good stories. That means that adverse conditions figure prominently in what gets reported back. Without re-reading your two-year-old thread, I'd say willingness to push the envelope a bit will serve you well, no matter what bike and how experienced. And take the dire warnings here with a grain of salt; you might get blown around by the wind, but it's not the end of the world for most of us.

Hope that's helpful.

Mark
Sure. Good points.

One of the reasons I've pushed this to 2 months is to have wiggle room.
I've dealt with tough riding challenges. I've toured over 20 countries over a number of years and here are a couple great moments that made those fun stories when I got home.

Here is a fun photo of the Swiss Alps in July.

+120F in Turkey the year before.

So let me clarify, if I wanted comfort and perfect riding conditions I would not be even considering this ride but I want to balance it enjoying the ride and being safe.
Old 08-14-2014, 12:25 PM   #54
oobus
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpecialAgentNancy View Post
You know after a run in with a flat tire a-midst a cloud of mosquitoes in Alaska where two Harley riders were riding dirt just like me and DIDN'T get a flat, I think there are plenty of Harley riders that have a fair amount of adventure riding in them. (probably get crucified for saying that here) but I've let go of my prejudices around what kind of bike you ride determines what kind of riding you do.

So is that Tracy California? I'm an hour away from him....
Yea, he's in Tracy for the next few months - he is far from the typical Harley rider: mountain climber - he's spent a lot of time on Aconcagua, and is an accomplished Paraglider. He's a tough in shape guy, plus he is a bit younger than us....
Let me see what I can find out....
Old 08-17-2014, 11:20 PM   #55
DKW1200
Adventurer

Oddometer: 78
Looking for a container to Valpariso

Hi Nancy,

Doing some research on southern Chile and came across your post. Glad to see others heading down that time of year. My first trip to SA I shipped into Valpariso in 2012 and headed north to Lima. Thinking of doing the same in February but riding south this time before turning back to SoCal. Would you be interested in shipping via container to Valpariso if we can find the 2-3 more bikes it takes to fill a 20' container. It was pretty cheap in 2012.

David
DKW1200 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2014, 10:47 AM   #56
SpecialAgentNancy OP
& your little dog 2!

Quote:
Originally Posted by DKW1200 View Post
Hi Nancy,

Doing some research on southern Chile and came across your post. Glad to see others heading down that time of year. My first trip to SA I shipped into Valpariso in 2012 and headed north to Lima. Thinking of doing the same in February but riding south this time before turning back to SoCal. Would you be interested in shipping via container to Valpariso if we can find the 2-3 more bikes it takes to fill a 20' container. It was pretty cheap in 2012.

David
You bet David. I have a LOT of flexibility including starting and ending point (as well as route/dates etc) To me the important thing is to get down there and tour with some other experienced riders. I'm willing to compromise on a lot of other things for that safety (and fun).

I put together a month long ride from Bulgaria to Portugal with a father/son team that was living in Germany at the time. We had some skype video calls so everyone could meet, discuss details, likes/dislikes etc to see if it was a fit and that trip turned out really well.
Old 08-18-2014, 07:23 PM   #57
DKW1200
Adventurer

Oddometer: 78
Pm

Nancy, I sent you a PM.
DKW1200 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2014, 09:50 AM   #58
SpecialAgentNancy OP
& your little dog 2!

Starting to look like Feb/Mar would be best anyway now.
Old 09-16-2014, 10:59 AM   #59
SpecialAgentNancy OP
& your little dog 2!

HawkPilot2 with whom I rode Bulgaria to Portugal 2 years ago is interested.
At least 1 bike, possibly 2
Did a PM to introduce DKW1200 and HP2.
Old 09-16-2014, 04:10 PM   #60
JDowns
Sounds good, let's go!

Oddometer: 2,652
Feb.-March is the equivalent to Aug.-Sept. in the Northern hemisphere. Your plans are in flux, so difficult to know what to suggest. Ecuador is a wonderful country not to be missed imho, even though there was a fair amount of rain at that time last year up in the Andes, down on the coast was nice. Gas is 1.48/gal. You can't beat that with a stick.

While I enjoyed motoring down through the Atacama desert for 1200 miles of raw desert beauty in northern Chile, it is a lot of straight line riding through moonscapes. I think cutting east through Paso de Jama and over through northern Argentina would be fun as well.

Chile is expensive, with gas at 6 bucks a gallon and even budget hostels charging 15 to 20 bucks for a bed these days. But it is a vast, varied and beautiful country. I especially enjoyed the lake district. But by late March it was getting rainy and chilly in southern Chile, so I cut over to Argentina, saving the Carretera Austral for this coming year.

Argentina is fabulous. It is half the cost of Chile, with great municipal campgrounds in most cities of 10,000 population and above. Wifi, electrical outlets so you can update your ride report in your tent all for 3 to 10 bucks a night. I especially enjoyed the remote backroads in the foothills of the Andes. I can't wait to get back. I should be there in Feb. March next year. Alas, I love the freedom of solo riding, but perhaps will see you down the road for a visit next year if you make it.

Kindest regards,
John Downs

JDowns screwed with this post 09-16-2014 at 04:16 PM
JDowns is offline   Reply With Quote