Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Ride reports
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-01-2012, 05:36 AM   #106
slide
A nation in despair

Oddometer: 21,120
I enjoy the literacy of this thread almost as much as the report and pix. I especially admire the foreboding elements (little did we know what was around that innocent looking bend of the road) sort of device.
Old 11-01-2012, 09:54 AM   #107
epicxcrider OP
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 645

It was hot. Goddamn it was hot. And dusty. The sun beat down upon us unmercifully and reminded me I was already out of water. I had a spare liter in my bag but I wasn't about to screw around with getting that out in this heat. We headed for town in hopes of finding a store.

We hit the pavement a few miles North of town and turned South on the Loomis-Oroville Road. Loomis wasn't much of a town, maybe 10 small streets in all. Main street was just houses - some with goats or cows in the yard - and not a single store. I turned back towards the main road and headed further South. On the way out of town was a small gas station and convenience store, so we pulled in. Having only been 50 miles since the last fillup, Shawn was the only one to get gas while Bernie and I sat inside and took a break. We all rested for a bit and refilled our supplies knowing we'd have to get moving soon to cross into Canada before the small border crossing closed for the day.

In the meantime sitting in the store painted an interesting picture of small town life in Northern Washington. A few people came and went, travelers passed through heading North to the border. There wasn't a whole lot going on. The store owner yelled at some Latino kids for not wearing shirts inside. It was clear he didn't appreciate their patronage.

We packed up, suited up, and rode North to the border.

epicxcrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2012, 03:23 PM   #108
epicxcrider OP
Studly Adventurer

When we stopped at the border checkpoint it was so hot I wasn't sure whether to be relieved or exasperated. Riding was bearable, but it was like being blasted with a hair dryer at 70 mph. Standing still I just baked in my suit and sweat profusely. I was first and dug out my passport for the two female Canadian border guards.
They both wore body armor and since there was no booth here just came outside to question me. I answered the requisite questions and was sent on my way. Bernie and Shawn pulled up together and handed over their passports. The two guards went inside to check their info, and shortly returned beckoning each of them inside to answer a few questions. Shawn and Bernie both returned and saddled up while they waited for their info. After a few minutes the guards returned with some heavy news - Bernie could cross, Shawn could go no further.

We looked at one another in disbelief and wondered what the hell to do. They told us we had about 30 seconds to decide because they were closing the gate and US customs was waiting for us. Shawn turned around and sped off while Bernie and I just stared at each other...
Old 11-01-2012, 11:07 PM   #109
ValuePack
Adventurer

Oddometer: 24
Stellar ride report, and greets from a fellow Cow Hampshirite!

Subscribed.
ValuePack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2012, 07:08 AM   #110
BK.RD.RNR
Torque Stick

Oddometer: 5,333
Must. Go. West!!

Great RR.

Now on with it! What happened to Shawn???
BK.RD.RNR is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2012, 10:46 AM   #111
redog1
KLR650-2009

Oddometer: 1,782
Eek Well HELL!!!

it's a cliff hanger............. And then?
Old 11-06-2012, 04:12 PM   #112
epicxcrider OP
Studly Adventurer

We were in the middle of nowhere, baking in the high plains desert. I could feel the heat getting to me, becoming irritable and draining my energy. I knew Bernie and Shawn had to be feeling it too. We sat there struggling just to think of what to do next. Obviously we couldn't leave Shawn behind. We had no plan, he had no map, and it was well over 100 degrees - so we turned around and headed back to the US. The customs guy gave us as much advise as he could, giving us the name of a town with a courthouse near the border. That would be our best bet to get this all sorted out.

We met with Shawn who had gotten the same tip. Still struggling to think and sweating profusely I found the town in the GPS and we decided we'd make a beeline for Republic, WA. While we sorted this all out customs had closed and the border patrol officers began trickling out. A few went by, then I noticed someone pull up beside us on a bike. It was the officer we spoke to earlier, checking to make sure we were all set before he sped off on a decked out GS. I suppose that explained his understanding attitude towards the situation.

I sped East with Bernie and Shawn close behind and keeping a quick pace in the interest of time. There was interesting scenery along the Loomis-Oroville Rd - abandoned houses, squatters, RV's all along the fast flowing Similkameen River. I might have enjoyed the ride too had I not been so agitated from the heat and uncertainty of what the next day would bring. Unfortunately I didn't take any pictures until the next day either.

A few hours later we rolled into Republic, thankful that the heat was less intense in the hills here. Too exasperated to look for a campsite, we found an inn with an open room and cranked the AC. A shower, some clean clothes, and a few beers later we walked up the street to find dinner at the local saloon.
Old 11-06-2012, 10:18 PM   #113
N-Id-Jim
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 540
Awesome trip and great RR. Thanks

Love the Republic area!
N-Id-Jim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2012, 07:25 AM   #114
epicxcrider OP
Studly Adventurer

Day 11: Back to Canada
First thing in the morning Shawn was up and out to see if he could clear things up. None of us really understood what needed to happen but hopefully a local official would. Bernie and I grabbed coffee at a small shop up the street and enjoyed listening to the locals discuss politics over breakfast. We checked the local NAPA for an air filter for Bernie's bike, but no luck. It was in terrible shape, but a cleaning would have to do for now.

It must have been 11 by the time we saw Shawn coming down the street as we eagerly awaited news.

"Well?"
"Nope"
"Nope what?"
"They can't do anything. I can't go"
"Fuck"
"Yup"

We chatted for a bit and decided we would split up for a few days. Bernie and I would continue on to Canada and try to do an iron butt to Banff today. Shawn got a map and would head for Spokane tonight and try to get some work done on his motorcycle. It needed an oil change and the tires were completely shot at this point.

We'd meet up in 3 days in Eureka, MT.
Now early afternoon, we parted ways and Bernie and I headed for the border.

epicxcrider screwed with this post 12-24-2012 at 08:36 AM
Old 11-14-2012, 04:29 PM   #115
mtnpass
Admiral Vag

Oddometer: 46
Great RR! Enjoying a fresh perspective. Nice work and thanks for taking us along. Too bad about Shawn!!
Old 11-16-2012, 07:15 AM   #116
epicxcrider OP
Studly Adventurer

Thanks! More updates around thanksgiving, back out in Cali for work!
Old 11-16-2012, 09:15 AM   #117
danceswithcages
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 254
Excellent ride report! Awesome pics and your writing is very good! Thanks for bringing us along
danceswithcages is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2012, 08:41 AM   #118
epicxcrider OP
Studly Adventurer

Thank you!
Old 11-27-2012, 08:08 AM   #119
smash81
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 459
Salvaged 2006 Ninja 650R - his
2000 ZR7 - hers
smash81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2012, 01:17 PM   #120
plains ranger
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 310
Glad I had the day off! Read the hole thing so far. What happened with Shawn?!?
Life is not a journey to the grave arriving with a pristine body. But a journey that should end in a sideways skid, body completely used up, box of chocolates in one hand, glass of Chardonnay in the other, yelling "WHAT A RIDE!"
plains ranger is offline   Reply With Quote